PDA

View Full Version : Drafting another qb?

Juriga72
12-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Of course Tebow might be, but with Josh gone... he might not be our "Next QB".

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/23527405;_ylt=AqI725fSBXXZDN6krj3B4hpDubYF#nfl/23527405

I do like some of the things said here.

Cincy- MIGHT get rid of Palmer. I'd take HIM for a year to back up/help Tebow

One thing is for certain... Orton is a goner!!!!

Dzone
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
All I can say is thank God that 87.7 The ticket is talking football this saturday morning instead of fishing, golf or nascar, which is what all the other stations have on. Bronco football talk. You can never get enough of it...these guys are great...
...I hope Tebow becomes the face of the Broncos for years to come.

PAINTERDAVE
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Tebow has not even had one chance yet....

Could he flop?

Sure.

On the other hand... he could be tremendous.

I beleive in Tebow.

I want help on the d-line with those top picks.

With a good defense...
even if Tebow is only as good as Orton was...
we could win.

Please, God, not a wasted QB pick!

T.K.O.
12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
if we can trade orton or quinn for a 2nd/high 3rd and use it on a decent qb prospect.i don't see a problem with drafting a "back up plan"
i believe tebow COULD be a starter,but after watching simms and quinn fill in......i'll take the insurance !:salute::D

Dzone
12-18-2010, 12:50 PM
no doubt. Nobody has had more people hoping he is a huge success. The upside of having Tim Tebow as the face of the franchise is huge.

He seems to thrive on proving people wrong.

Plus, he gets long winded in press conferences. You got to love a guy who gives speeches during pressers

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I do NOT want Palmer.

Slick
12-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Absolutely not to another QB!!!!!!!!

Same also goes for RB,WR,CB, and S.

We need a front 7. It's been ignored for long enough.

BroncoNut
12-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I think it would be foolish to draft a qb. especially 1st round. I agree with slick minus the safety position, depending on Champ's situation. front seven needs some work. It'd be nice to bring in a young blitz capable safety. I like Champ there, but again, his situation is a concern

honz
12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Palmer has been worse than Orton.

Northman
12-18-2010, 02:18 PM

If we take another DB early i will be so pissed. I cant even explain how pissed i would be. :lol:

Slick
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
If we take another DB early i will be so pissed. I cant even explain how pissed i would be. :lol:

Me too. Even if we let Champ walk i don't want to see a secondary player drafted.

I might even go as far as saying lets spend our entire draft on defensive lineman. Saturate the position to find at least a couple players in the bunch. That's how big of a need I think it is.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Me too. Even if we let Champ walk i don't want to see a secondary player drafted.

I might even go as far as saying lets spend our entire draft on defensive lineman. Saturate the position to find at least a couple players in the bunch. That's how big of a need I think it is.

I agree with you for the most part Slick, but it's obvious that we're still a long way from being a complete, competitive team. So, if the front office and new members of the staff do not believe Tebow is the future, then I have to say screw the defense and while your at it, make sure you get the best quarterback you can, either take Mallett with the third or fourth pick, or trade up by any means and take Luck if that's who they're sold on. McDaniels and the front office were trying to trade up last year for Bradford, that's a simple fact. If Tebow is nowhere near the level the team wants or feels that he will not be, then I could see them drafting a kid they do want and feel is capable. After all, how often do we have a draft pick this high?

Now, if the team is absolutely sold on Tebow...then I say draft someone to help the defensive line, it's the single biggest need for this team at this point.

jlarsiii
12-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I have no problem if the new FO/staff decides to draft a qb in the upcoming draft. I am not sold on Tebow at all. I will believe in him when I see it, but until then he is just another really bizarre pick amongst many bizarre picks our organization has made through the years.

Anyway, if they do draft a qb and both Tebow and that person turn out to be great pros then it will benefit the club tremendously. I am ready to have an embarrassment of riches at the position considering the lack of talent we have had since Elway.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 03:26 PM

screw that dude, you don't understand football. . . we gotta get a quarterback, no point having a defense until then. . .

i figure we can draft mallet with our natural #2 or #3 overall pick, and if we package tebow with the rest of our draft, we might be able to get another high pick and take jake locker also. . . that way we'll be pretty much sure to get the next elway and win a bunch of super bowls. . .

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:32 PM
screw that dude, you don't understand football. . . we gotta get a quarterback, no point having a defense until then. . .

i figure we can draft mallet with our natural #2 or #3 overall pick, and if we package tebow with the rest of our draft, we might be able to get another high pick and take jake locker also. . . that way we'll be pretty much sure to get the next elway and win a bunch of super bowls. . .

:lol:

I don't think we'd need more then Mallett, the kid has a laser cannon for an arm, he actually has a better arm then Cutler! But, I hope Tebow is the future so we can use that first pick on a defensive playmaker. But if he's not, I have no problem trading him and drafting a kid the new staff is comfortable with.

spikerman
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
If the Broncos have a chance at Luck I think they have to take him. Might as well look at Jim Harbaugh as well.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
If the Broncos have a chance at Luck I think they have to take him. Might as well look at Jim Harbaugh as well.

I like that 2 for 1 Special, I like it a lot! :D

PAINTERDAVE
12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
If Luck comes out... IF he comes out..
Carolina will take him with the 1st pick.

End of story.

spikerman
12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
If Luck comes out... IF he comes out..
Carolina will take him with the 1st pick.

End of story.

No doubt. It would probably take a trade or something UNLESS Carolina decides they like what they have in Claussen (unlikely). If only Denver had some extra picks to use for leverage.

PAINTERDAVE
12-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Disagree.

I want to draft the d-line...
give Tebow a chance.

This thread is like the last refuge of the Tebow haters...

"Trade him. Anybody but Tebow. Get rid of Tim.
Draft a new Rookie to sit on the bench for a year."

It is kind of funny. Sad. But funny.

spikerman
12-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Disagree.

give Tebow a chance.

I'm neither a Tebow hater or supporter. I simply don't know how good he is. I would love to see Denver take addressing the front 7 seriously for the first time in many years. The thing is that Luck is a special talent and if he's available, it would be tough to pass him up.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Disagree.

give Tebow a chance.

You no read well b-u-d-d-y, like bad monkey fling his poo! :lol:

I don't think anyone is hating on Tebow Dave, it's more that we see what could happen, I'd prefer for Tebow to be the future of the franchise and for us to be able to draft defensively heavy. But there is a possibility that a new regime will not be sold, that is just a fact and if that's the case...I say get the best damn one for the job so we're not playing merry-go-round for the next six seasons at what is essentially the most regarded position.

:)

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Disagree.

give Tebow a chance.

Painter..seriously.. you are taking this stuff WAYYYYYyyyy too personally. Why is it that you feel everyone is against this kid, simply because they would like to see us draft a QB? Why is it that the 'unknown' project doesn't warrent criticism and complaint?

VERY RARELY do first round draft choices, sit the bench for a year. RARELY. If we were to draft a top choice at QB, they would NOT sit a year. Just as Bradford didn't, just as Stafford, sanchez, Ryan, Flacco, Manning, Manning, Brees,....didn't.

If there was the SLIGHTEST of hope to get Luck, I absolutely would TAKE that chance because he's a rare-rare talent. We don't. We will start Tebow, and you can sit in front of the television and wear your jersey..... and everything will be alright.

frenchfan
12-18-2010, 07:30 PM

I might even go as far as saying lets spend our entire draft on defensive lineman. Saturate the position to find at least a couple players in the bunch. That's how big of a need I think it is.And anyway, put the best DB you could believe... With our sucking front 7, the QB will a solution... Any NFL QB with 10 seconds to throw will find a target... That's a garantee...

If we don't have a solid draft for our D (I mean, front 7), then forget the next 5 years... :tsk:

Give Tebow a chance, but moreover, give our D a chance !!!! :D

Juriga72
12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Because McDummy has left us so many holes we need to fix.... I say take the BEST player available... We get a chance at Luck.... SEND who ever it takes to get him.

That Auburn D-line stud? trade for his azz......

Get as much help as possible.

FanInAZ
12-18-2010, 09:15 PM

If you are correct, then we simply need to look at the 12 best QBs to find the 12 teams that will be making the post season.

Tom Brady is 1st in QB rating.
The Patriots' offense is 16th in rushing yards, 15th in yards per carry and 1st in scoring.
Their defense is 27th in yards allowed per game and 17th in points allowed.
Bottom line, the are tied for 1st in wins & losses (2nd after tie breakers) and have qualified for the play-offs.

Rivers is 2nd in QB rating.
The Chargers' offense is 14th in rushing yards, 23rd in yards per carry and 2nd in scoring.
Their defense is 1st in yards allowed per game and 6th in points allow allowed.
Bottom line, they 14th in win & losses (should be tied with several others after everyone else plays their 14th games. May drop a few spots due to tie breakers) and need help to make the play-offs.

Michael Vick is 3rd in QB rating.
The Eagles' offense is 5th in rushing yards, 1st in yards per carry and in scoring.
Their defense is 11th in yards allowed per game, 20th in points allowed.
Bottom line, they tied for 6th in wins & losses (9th after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

Aaron Rodgers is 4th in QB rating.
The Packers' offense is 24th in rushing yards, 20th yards per game and 11th scoring.
Their defense is 9th in yards allowed per game and 1st in points allowed.
Bottom line, they are tied for 10th in wins and losses (10th after tie breakers) and needs help to make the play-offs.

Matt Cassel is 5th in QB rating.
The Chiefs' offense is 1st in yards rushing, tied for 3rd in yards per carry and tied for 12th in scoring.
Their defense is 18th in yards allowed per game and 14th in points allowed.
Bottom line, they are 10th in win & losses (12th after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

Tony Romo is 6th in QB rating, but was injured during the 6th game. He was replaced by Jon Kitna who is 14th in QB rating in the 7 game.
Bottom line, the Cowboys season was all but over by the time Kitna took over.

Ben Roethlisberger is 7th in QB rating.
The Steelers' offense are 10th in rushing yards, tied for 16th in yards per carry and 16th in scoring.
Their defense is 4th in yards allowed per game and 2nd in points allowed.
Bottom line, the Steelers are tied for 3rd in wins & losses (4th after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

Joe Flacco is 8th in QB rating.
The Ravens' offense is 21st in rushing yards, 30 in yards per carry and 14th in scoring.
Their defense is 10th in yards allowed per game and 4th in points allowed.
The bottom line, the Ravens are 5th in wins & losses (5th in tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

Drew Brees is 9th in QB rating.
The Saints' offense is 22nd in rushing yards, tied in 16th in yards per carry and 6th in scoring.
Their defense is 6th yards allowed per game and 5th in points allowed per game.
The bottom line, the Saints are tied for 3rd in wins & losses (3rd after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

David Garrard is 10th in QB rating.
The Jaguars' offense is 2nd in rushing yards, tied for 3rd in yards per carry and 12 in scoring.
Their defense is 26th in yards allowed per game and 25th in points allowed per game.
Bottom line, the Jaguars are 10th in wins & losses (11th after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

Peyton Manning is 11th in QB rating.
The Colts' offense is 32th in rushing yards & yards per carry and 4th scoring.
Their defense is 20th in yards allowed per game and 23 in points allowed per game.
Bottom line, the Colts are tied for 15th in wins (15th after tie breakers) & losses and needs help to make the play-offs.

Matt Ryan is 12th in QB rating.
The Falcons' offense is 8th in rushing yards, tied for 20th in yards per carry and 5th in scoring.
Their defense is 9th in yards allowed per game and 5th in points allowed.
Bottom line, the Falcons are 1st in wins & losses (1st after tie breakers) and should make the play-offs.

So, what does all of this data clearly show? 3 of the top 12 QBs may not make the play-offs, and a 4th probably wouldn't have made it even if he would have stayed healthy. Therefore, it seems to me that you are in error when you would perpose that their is ONE CORRECT formula for winning football. That one correct way is with having a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc; and throw the ball 30-40 times a game. The problem is, we don't have a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc.

A good example of someone else who had that same problem was Dan Reeves. During Elway's early years, Reeves believed that the correct way to win was to use the run to set up the pass. The problem was, they didn't have quality running backs. In other words, he insisted on using what they didn't have to set up what he already have. Does that make sence? No! That is why Elway didn't finally win his SBs until after Reevse.

I watched the game last Sunday. I noticed that our running game was very effective, WHEN they ran it. The problem was, they kept throwing the ball even in spite of the fact that Orton was having another bad game. Unfortunatly, the coaches seem to agree with you that the only way to win is to throw the ball. Like I said, we don't have a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. We did have a good running game, but we didn't use it much. Why not? Because its not the ONE AND ONLY way to win football in the 21st century.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Moar quarterbacks!!111!!!!111

dogfish
12-18-2010, 09:40 PM
i bet carolina would give us claussen for doom if they take luck. . .

Juriga72
12-18-2010, 09:47 PM
i bet carolina would give us claussen for doom if they take luck. . .

We might have to throw in Champ and NEXT years 2nd.....

robert ethan
12-18-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL. Luck has had one good season as a college QB. If you take his stats from this year and multiply them by 4 you come up with Tebow's career numbers, more or less. He has a hitch in his delivery just like Tim did, and his arm isn't nearly as strong.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
QB rating? :lol: YOu can't rate a player based on that stupid, moronic, formula.

I get what dog is saying, his sarcasm is unavoidable. But the reality is, if you do NOT have a top QB in this league, you are not a consistent, CONSTANT, contender.

Indianapolis has been awful this year. But, if they make the playoffs, are they a threat to beat anyone and everyone? Why is that? Because of their QB. Same with NE, NO, SD, GB, ATL, PITT.

Baltimore has had a TOP TOP defense for YEARS and years. They are always playoff contenders, but what is it that keeps them from taking it to that next level? The lack of top QB. Defense can't do it all. The Jets have a damned good defense. What is keeping their team from REALLY being good... the QB. Miami has weapons at WR, RB, and a very solid defense. What are they lacking? QB.

If you have ONE piece to pick to start with when building a team, its the QB. If you don't have that SINGLE piece, then its SOOO much harder to reach the top levels...and takes sooooo much more resources to build around that lack of talent.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 10:20 PM
LOL. Luck has had one good season as a college QB. If you take his stats from this year and multiply them by 4 you come up with Tebow's career numbers, more or less. He has a hitch in his delivery just like Tim did, and his arm isn't nearly as strong.

Robert, I'm going to be blunt with you.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't know Jack. There is a reason that the scouts (that have been scouting for longer than you have been alive) can SEE that this kid is special. WHy he's ranked the HIGHEST since Elway. There is a reason Tebow was NOT even ranked in the top of his class....and NONE of that has to do with the silly college stats that you continue to use as your reference.

College stats mean SQUAT. How many NCAA records does Manning hold? How many Championships did he win, how many Heismans did he win? Elway? How many NCAA Championships did he win? Heisman trophies? What about Leinart? Please stop using the college stats to the table as if they mean a SINGLE thing to comparing players.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
So, what does all of this data clearly show? 3 of the top 12 QBs may not make the play-offs, and a 4th probably wouldn't have made it even if he would have stayed healthy. Therefore, it seems to me that you are in error ...

Wait.. two things confuse me.

1) isn't 3 out of 12 already 1/4th? :confused: I'm always confused when it comes to fractions.

2) you just showed that 3/4ths of the top 12 QBs make the playoffs.... doesn't that prove dog's exaggerated point? :beer:

I Eat Staples
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
You got to love a guy who gives speeches during pressers

You absolutely do not.

You don't have to explain, I can feel it already.

I Eat Staples
12-18-2010, 11:02 PM
You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Truer words have never been spoken.

robert ethan
12-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Tebow passed, ran, and won games for three times as long as Luck at his very best. In a conference that is at least 50% better than the PAC 10. I'm betting Luck doesn't match any of Tim's numbers at the Combine, and if they stood side by side and threw a football as hard as they could, Tebow's throw would go 15 yards farther.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 11:13 PM
but did either of them ever throw a football seventy yards in high school?

robert ethan
12-18-2010, 11:16 PM
but did either of them ever throw a football seventy yards in high school?
Not sure, but I think Tebow benched 34 times or something ridiculous at the Army All American combine while he was still in high school.

Lancane
12-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Not sure, but I think Tebow benched 34 times or something ridiculous at the Army All American combine while he was still in high school.

Bench pressing has shit to do with being a quarterback, it's great and dandy if he was a defensive lineman. Problem is that you are basing quarterbacking off of collegiate wins and losses, on national championships and bowl games, off physique and stats. John Elway in 79' was 5-5-1, in 80' 6-5, 4-7 in 81' and 5-6 in 82'. Hell, if you look at the history of Heisman trophy winners, you'll find that few who won the award succeeded in the NFL. If all we did was draft players from the top ten collegiate teams, you'd find that the talent was depleted, because most come from the other 90 teams not even close to winning a national championship.

robert ethan
12-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Basically what you guys are saying is that nothing matters when comparing prospects except what some anonymous "experts" seem to say. Even when they seldom agree and are wrong more often than not. Presumably the same set of experts who graded Alex Smith #1 overall and Ryan Fitzpatrick second to last in the same draft a few years back. Or thought JaMarcus Russell was can't miss, and tabbed Matt Leinart as the #1 overall pick if he had come out as junior.

Lancane
12-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Basically what you guys are saying is that nothing matters when comparing prospects except what some anonymous "experts" seem to say. Even when they seldom agree and are wrong more often than not. Presumably the same set of experts who graded Alex Smith #1 overall and Ryan Fitzpatrick second to last in the same draft a few years back. Or thought JaMarcus Russell was can't miss, and tabbed Matt Leinart as the #1 overall pick if he had come out as junior.

Yes...they also said Peyton Manning would be a great NFL quarterback, that Rivers was special, that Cutler had the best physical tools to be the best pro quarterback out of his class, that Matt Ryan was a franchise quarterback that could do it all, that Ben Roethlisberger was a top ten pick, that Mark Sanchez would be a difference maker and so on. There right as much as they are wrong, that's the gist of it all...a great quarterback is the hardest athlete to find for a teams roster, it's a huge gamble and there is a 50/50 chance that you picked a dud instead of a stud...that's not bullshit, it's a freaking fact. For every Troy Aikman there is an Akili Smith and two Trent Dilfers, and that one kid who was nothing but fodder went to be on several practice squads but never saw the inside of an NFL stadium, about four to one odds, that's pretty scary. Look at Stafford, all the talent in the world...but he can't stay healthy for shit, then look at Cutler, he was not even the favorite of his draft class, has diabities and is one of the better young quarterbacks in the league.

Since 1980 eighteen quarterbacks have won the Heisman trophy, can you tell me besides those just drafted or are yet to be, how many have had All-Pro careers? Not a single damn one of them, they've almost all been busts at the pro-level - Doug Flutie, Vinny Testaverde, Andre Ware, Ty Detmor, Gino Torreta, Charlie Ward, Danny Weurffel, Chris Wienke, Eric Crouch, Carson Palmer, Jason White, Matt Leinart and Troy Smith...is there a quarterback on that list that impresses you? I mean holy hell, being a Heisman winner is like watching the Ring and realizing it was real after the crazy ghost bitch smoked your ass...but not before! It's a freaking curse, not one of the all-time greats during the 70's, 80's or 90's ever won the award, give Jim Plunkett and that was in the 60's.

robert ethan
12-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Tebow won a Heisman, so did Bradford a year later. Sam isn't looking too bad so far. Hella lot better than Sanchez. I think Tebow was runner up another time, Luck was runner up this year. You have to juggle things around indefinitely to find any connection between Heisman Trophy votes and NFL success.

The one thing I've noticed in comparing QBs collegiate stats to their NFL stats is that their completion percentage remains very close between the two levels. A guy who is a 50-60 % passer in college almost always stays at that level as a pro. Cutler, whatever his "tools" may be wasn't a high percentage passer in college and hasn't been as a pro. Tebow's completion percentage in the NCAA was around 67% I think. A good completion rate seems to be the single most reliable indicator of pro success, along with a good TD - Int ratio.

For all the people who trot out Jason White or Timmy Chang to put down college stats, neither of those two had a great completion percentage or TD to Int ratio in college. They just threw a lot of passes to get their yardage. Chang had almost as many picks as touchdowns in his career.

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:

"I bet carolina would give us claussen for doom if they take luck. . .

We might have to throw in Champ and NEXT years 2nd..... "

So then we get rid of Tebow? No Champ. No Doom...
and give away our 2nd round pick?
We'd have Orton, Clausen, and Quinn at QB. Whoop-dee-do!

Unbeleivable. It sounds just like McD would do.
Is this McD posting anonymously?

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 04:04 AM

Exactly. These are the same guys who say Tebow will be a failure.

Not just that he wont be great... an average QB...
but that he will be a FAILURE.

Experts are simply empty suits who never played the game
writing opinions for each other... trying to impress each other...
and hornswoggle the rest of us into thinking they know best.

Yeah, I am gonna base all of my football moves on
John Clayton and Mel Kiper. Right.

I am just gonna ignore Steve Young, Jon Gruden,
Bill McCartney and many other actual football guys.

Slick
12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
QB rating? :lol: YOu can't rate a player based on that stupid, moronic, formula.

I get what dog is saying, his sarcasm is unavoidable. But the reality is, if you do NOT have a top QB in this league, you are not a consistent, CONSTANT, contender.

Indianapolis has been awful this year. But, if they make the playoffs, are they a threat to beat anyone and everyone? Why is that? Because of their QB. Same with NE, NO, SD, GB, ATL, PITT.

Baltimore has had a TOP TOP defense for YEARS and years. They are always playoff contenders, but what is it that keeps them from taking it to that next level? The lack of top QB. Defense can't do it all. The Jets have a damned good defense. What is keeping their team from REALLY being good... the QB. Miami has weapons at WR, RB, and a very solid defense. What are they lacking? QB.

If you have ONE piece to pick to start with when building a team, its the QB. If you don't have that SINGLE piece, then its SOOO much harder to reach the top levels...and takes sooooo much more resources to build around that lack of talent.

I agree 100%.

The problem is we still don't know what our young QB is, and I seriously doubt that 3 games with this coaching staff is enough of a sample size to decide if he's the right guy for us.

If Tim looks like Akili Smith after these three games then I might warm up to the idea but I still don't see how we can continue to ignore the defensive issues that have plagued this team for over a decade.

Juriga72
12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:

"I bet carolina would give us claussen for doom if they take luck. . .

We might have to throw in Champ and NEXT years 2nd..... "

So then we get rid of Tebow? No Champ. No Doom...
and give away our 2nd round pick?
We'd have Orton, Clausen, and Quinn at QB. Whoop-dee-do!

Unbeleivable. It sounds just like McD would do.
Is this McD posting anonymously?
After watching this team sign free agent rb's and then drafting one, THEN trade for a qb and then draft one....

NOTHING is being put on as "Being too ridiculous to happen".

I was saying that people who cover the NFL for pay ( as opposed to us) are saying..."YEAH... a new regime MIGHT take a qb with the 3rd pick this year".

Do I think we need another one? NO... ALL I am saying is right now, THIS is what some NFL media is saying. Because for whatever reason NO ONE at Dove Valley thought... "Golly... the fat lady sang three songs, maybe we should see what Tim can do" before this week... NO ONE knows what is going to happen today.

Granted Tim could and probably will lay a huge egg, and every Ortonite willbe able to say for the last time ever....."We'd rather lose with Kyle"

Ravage!!!
12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree 100%.

The problem is we still don't know what our young QB is, and I seriously doubt that 3 games with this coaching staff is enough of a sample size to decide if he's the right guy for us.

If Tim looks like Akili Smith after these three games then I might warm up to the idea but I still don't see how we can continue to ignore the defensive issues that have plagued this team for over a decade.

I'm excited to see Tebow play.. and I know I'm not going to judge him as a player no matter how he plays. That goes for if he plays fantastic, or if he complete craps out. I know that one game doesn't a career make.

Its very possible that Tebow goes out there and lights it up,and we'll see all the "see, I told you so's" this entire weeek. Ethan and Jags and a few others in this forum, will be unbearable. But I promise you this, if Tebow stinks it up we probably won't se a couple of them this coming week.....and I promise I won't be one bashing Tim for a bad week.

A team absolutely needs a QB that is tops in the NFL in order to compete year in and year out. We really don't have much choice but to hope Tebow is that guy. Thats all we have. Hope. Because right now, we had a coach that took a HUGE chance on a big project. But, that can be extremely exciting.

Ravage!!!
12-19-2010, 10:05 AM

No no.. I'd much rather listen to your "wet dream" fantasies about Tebow tell me what is what. Didn't you, originally, put down Luck because of his looks? I think you are upset that anyone gets a higher rating than Tebow. Which is pretty funny.

Those hired to scout for the NFL, don't rate players as high as they have Luck, easily. Jamarcus Russell was NEVER rated as a "can't miss" and the ONLY person that thought he should be drafted that high was Al Davis. Same with several of the other QBs you mentioned.

Luck is different. Face it. The scouts knew that Manning was a guy you couldn't miss with.....and Luck is getting a HIGHER rating. Has nothing to do with the ridiculous jumping, benching, or college stats that mean nothing.

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
After watching this team sign free agent rb's and then drafting one, THEN trade for a qb and then draft one....

NOTHING is being put on as "Being too ridiculous to happen".

I was saying that people who cover the NFL for pay ( as opposed to us) are saying..."YEAH... a new regime MIGHT take a qb with the 3rd pick this year".

Do I think we need another one? NO... ALL I am saying is right now, THIS is what some NFL media is saying. Because for whatever reason NO ONE at Dove Valley thought... "Golly... the fat lady sang three songs, maybe we should see what Tim can do" before this week... NO ONE knows what is going to happen today.

Granted Tim could and probably will lay a huge egg, and every Ortonite willbe able to say for the last time ever....."We'd rather lose with Kyle"

People like John Clayton and Mel Kiper? Theycan keep therer bogus opinions and their fat paychecks.

Many of these "experts" are actually PAID to stir the pot... to generate controversy... to get you and I argueing. THAT is their real job.

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm excited to see Tebow play.. and I know I'm not going to judge him as a player no matter how he plays. That goes for if he plays fantastic, or if he complete craps out. I know that one game doesn't a career make.

Its very possible that Tebow goes out there and lights it up,and we'll see all the "see, I told you so's" this entire weeek. Ethan and Jags and a few others in this forum, will be unbearable. But I promise you this, if Tebow stinks it up we probably won't se a couple of them this coming week.....and I promise I won't be one bashing Tim for a bad week.

A team absolutely needs a QB that is tops in the NFL in order to compete year in and year out. We really don't have much choice but to hope Tebow is that guy. Thats all we have. Hope. Because right now, we had a coach that took a HUGE chance on a big project. But, that can be extremely exciting.

I agree. I'll get mighty sick of the Tebowites gloating.... but be thrilled if he turns out to be great.

We dont know... and I am dang glad to be finaly finding out.

I think he has a very good possibility to be great. I hope I become a huge fan of his.
But I cant and wont come back here and tell any one .. "I told you so."
And if he struggles badly... there will be a ton of haters screaming "I told you so" as well.

It's kind of crazy how people get so invested in a players identity. I am a Broncos fan first and foremost.
I hope he does become great... for my team. It is time to find out.

I expect him to struggle... with some flashes of what could be.

robert ethan
12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I think the Luck fetish is driven by the dinosaurs who can't accept that Elway is no longer playing and want to create a clone on the basis of the guys position and the school he attended. Luck may be more "old school" in terms of style, but he isn't better than Tebow in any way in terms of content. I'd say that Tim is stronger, faster, smarter, and throws the ball with the same degree of accuracy and probably better speed. That isn't a putdown of Luck necessarily, only in comparison to Tebow. Which is the question at hand.

Sinthor
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
No no.. I'd much rather listen to your "wet dream" fantasies about Tebow tell me what is what. Didn't you, originally, put down Luck because of his looks? I think you are upset that anyone gets a higher rating than Tebow. Which is pretty funny.

Those hired to scout for the NFL, don't rate players as high as they have Luck, easily. Jamarcus Russell was NEVER rated as a "can't miss" and the ONLY person that thought he should be drafted that high was Al Davis. Same with several of the other QBs you mentioned.

Luck is different. Face it. The scouts knew that Manning was a guy you couldn't miss with.....and Luck is getting a HIGHER rating. Has nothing to do with the ridiculous jumping, benching, or college stats that mean nothing.

You need to check your facts. Jamarcus Russell was tabbed by Mel Kiper Jr. as a guy who would be "the next Elway" after 3 years of playing. PLENTY of these analysts thought he was #1 besides Al Davis, that's WHY he was #1. Guys don't get to be #1 overall rated draft picks because one scout on an NFL team says so. There are a LOT of analysts involved. And they've Missed on a great many of their "can't miss" picks.

As for Luck, I DO think everyone has "the second coming of Elway" on their brains with this guy. He's only had ONE great year for Pete's sake and he's a Sophmore. Just because he's also from Stanford... Let him AT LEAST keep playing at this level as a Junior and then I'd say MAYBE he'll be great in the NFL. I love how people want to give over the "NFL ready" title and think guys will be great after just one or two years in college. Look at Mark Sanchez...how GREAT has he turned out to be after his one fantastic college year? He's not terrible, of course, but he's certainly not great. In fact, I'd say the jury's still out as to whether or not he'll even make it, what with his coach considering benching him for his play right now in his second year.

Cam Newton kills me as well. Here's a guy who's basically not as good as Tebow and actually IS more of a run oriented QB, and everyone's saying HE will do well in the NFL. Well, we'll see.

Myself, I don't know of course how Tebow will do, but I'm betting that he at least does ok. There's a LOT of "ok" QB's in the league. The true elite QB's are the ones that are hard to find and the only reason they get predicted is because so many of these analysts predict just about EVERYONE as being a success waiting to happen. They just hate when a guy like Tom Brady comes along. If Tebow even ends up as an average NFL QB, those analysts are going to take another huge shot to their credibility. If he does better than average, they just won't know what to say. On the other hand, you can bet that if he has even one BAD game the media blitz of talking heads saying "I told you so" is going to be HUGE.

I just hope he does well because I want the team to do well. I also happen to think he deserves a chance to succeed. Hopefully he gets that too. After that, if he's good, I'll be happy and lets move on. If he turns out bad, I'll be happy when the team moves on.

Juriga72
12-19-2010, 03:36 PM
WHO wants to bet we are NOT happy with the 3rd pick this year....lmao

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Who wants to draft another QB now?

Huh? Step up and own it.

Juriga72
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Who wants to draft another QB now?

Huh? Step up and own it.

CAM NEWTON!!!!!!!! 1-2 punch...LOL

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
CAM NEWTON!!!!!!!! 1-2 punch...LOL

Fail

Joel
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
We can't get Matthews Ryan and Stafford from their teams, so we'd only have the most homerific QB picks from '07, '10 and '11. Never draw to an inside straight, man. :rolleyes:

MileHiWildcat
12-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I can't believe some of you. Fix the team's obvious holes (Defense, OLine, Coaching) and Tebow will get them to the promise land in a few years.

Joel
12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I can't believe some of you. Fix the team's obvious holes (Defense, OLine, Coaching) and Tebow will get them to the promise land in a few years.
That remains to be seen, but until we've had a chance to see I don't know why spending the second overall pick on yet another "can't miss HoFer" QB and hoping he doesn't, in fact, miss is a good idea. Hey, I know, maybe we can trade Tebow to Carolina and get the #1 AND #2 picks. Of course, then we'll be right back where we were, with the player of our choice and the most popular QB in the draft--except that QB will be a rookie next year instead of this year. It's a sure sign of a dog team when half the fans think all the problems can be solved by drafting more QBs.

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
In the vast scheme of things..
Tebow is not even that expensive.

He signed a reasonable contract at a reasonable rate.