PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' GM Xanders' future role uncertain

Denver Native (Carol)
12-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Whether Brian Xanders can be part of the solution is up for debate. What is indisputable is that the Broncos' uppermost hierarchy of Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis don't consider Xanders part of the problem.

The Broncos' GM/head coach tandem of Josh McDaniels and Xanders was severed last week. McDaniels is gone, but Xanders will stay. It's uncertain, however, what role he'll play in the future.

After Ellis fired McDaniels last week, he confessed that the head coach had final say on all personnel matters the past two years, though the Broncos had spun all moves as a collaborative effort. Xanders' record as general manager, in the minds of Bowlen and Ellis, therefore is 0-0.

"The goal was always to reach a consensus with Josh, but naturally there were disagreements from time to time when you talk about transactions," Xanders said in his first interview since McDaniels was fired. "Trades, free agency. When that happened, he had the final authority to do what he thought was best for his team. I was completely respectful of that structure."

Bowlen and Ellis hold Xanders in high regard. They would not have brought him along to the league meetings Wednesday in Dallas if they didn't.

"There's discussions going with John Elway and we'll see where those lead," Xanders said. "I'm all for the Broncos bringing on John Elway. He knows football, he knows the Broncos. He's a winner. There's a great culture of winning here, and obviously he was a big part of creating that.

"Obviously, there's uncertainty with my role after this season with respect to Josh. I've made it clear this is where I want to be and I do have the experience and qualifications to help this team. To me the uncertainty is: What is the organization's structure going forward?"

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16889235

scott.475
12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
That does not excite me at all.

Dirk
12-18-2010, 11:50 AM
It's too bad we will never know if Josh and Xman didn't see eye to eye on transactions.

It's always easy to say "the other guy" when the stuff hits the fan.

I wish I had been a fly on the wall whenever it came to personnel decisions between Josh and Xman. Just so I would feel better if they agreed, disagreed or compromised.

It doesn't matter in the end, but I am curious.

camdisco24
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
If its true that McD was making all the decisions... What heck has Xanders been doing?
Nodding and agreeing?

spikerman
12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
If its true that McD was making all the decisions... What heck has Xanders been doing?
Nodding and agreeing?

Well we've already seen what happens to players who disagreed with McD, can you imagine what happens to a coach or FO person? Xanders is no dummy.

Nomad
12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Time to bring back John Beake!!:elefant:

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I think Xanders might be a good guy but just flat out incompetent in any kind of GM role.

scott.475
12-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Nodding and agreeing?

Nodding, agreeing, signing off of someone else's decisions, and banking a fat check. He probably has the best job in the league right now, all the $$$, none of the responsibility.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Well we've already seen what happens to players who disagreed with McD, can you imagine what happens to a coach or FO person? Xanders is no dummy.

Just incompetent. The absolute worst thing about this guy, and Pat Bowlen, and anybody else in the front office and upper management of the organization, is every single one of them played puppet to a 32 year old virgin HC.

Talk about an incompetent organization.

Dzone
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I dont know much about xanders but if he had anything to do with Mcdaniels blunders, he HAS TO GO

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Nodding and agreeing?

He was the money-guy in the GM part of the deal. He's the one that talked the money and did the GM duties that need to be done on a day-to-day process while the McD did his "coaching" (if you want to call it that).

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 12:03 PM

We know what happened with coaches.. ask Nolan

nevcraw
12-18-2010, 12:12 PM

McD was Xanders gravy train..
with whatever happened with the Goodman's and McD - Xanders very much benifitted forn the outcome and was not going to bite the hand that feeds.

Although understandable (i guess) this does not give the warm and fuzzy's about him being a tough as nails, visionary GM type..

Northman
12-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Just incompetent. The absolute worst thing about this guy, and Pat Bowlen, and anybody else in the front office and upper management of the organization, is every single one of them played puppet to a 32 year old virgin HC.

Talk about an incompetent organization.

Bingo. We really need a GM who has balls to just say no to the HC.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-18-2010, 12:23 PM

And most importantly, KNOWS FOOTBALL!!! I'd give my left nut for a GM who knows how to draft and how to bring in quality FAs without breaking the bank...

:deal:

Dzone
12-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Get rid of that som**** Xanadu....as far as Im concerned, he was complicit in the destruction of this team...He is associated with the worst season in franchise history...dump Xanders...clean house...time to cut all ties to the mcdaniels nightmare...Xanders had a part in it so he must be fired too. Start packing your bags Xanadu, get your ass out of here

Lancane
12-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Ellis, the Chief Officer of Operations was backing McDaniels, look at the Goodman situation. Xanders had his balls lopped off before he was able to actually be a General Manager, McDaniels had the second most powerful executive being his little bitch and so he had the power.

Slick
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Exactly, and that's what I thought we were going to do when we finally cut the cord from Shanahan. Boy was I wrong.

Does anyone get the feeling that Pat, and maybe moreso Ellis are trying to set up a two headed monster at GM with Elway and Xanders?

Xanders may know how to crunch the numbers but I'm not so sure Elway is qualified for the job...sentimeltal favorite, yes, but truly qualified? Also, I don't really like the idea of leaving Xanders in charge if he didn't have the stones or the authority to stand up to the head coach.

Oh well. What a freaking disaster.

:bandit:

Denver Native (Carol)
12-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I would assume it was Xanders who was negotiating contracts with players' agents.

Also, the following from the article I posted bothers me:

After Ellis fired McDaniels last week,

If the article is correct, WHY would it be Ellis who fired McDaniels, and NOT Bowlen???? I can see Bowlen not wanting to do the press conference, but I can't see why it would be Ellis who did the firing. IMO, it definitely appears that Ellis has WAY too much power, and hopefully one article, which I read a few weeks ago is correct, when it was stated that Elway would be BETWEEN Bowlen and Ellis. And for those who did not read what I posted before in another thread, I heard on one of the radios sports talk shows that Bowlen's kids want Bowlen to get rid of Ellis - of course, do not know if that is true or not.

Elevation inc
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM
lol xanders flat out says Josh had final say and you all start faulting xanders, hilarious..fault bowlen and ellis for being tools with the way they made the structure...not xanders.....maybe xanders just wanted to keep his job, the good news is he is a stud with money managing and the cap, contract negotiating and manuvering the draft...for all we knew he wanted the guys we all wanted, maybe the guy deserves a shot....

Northman
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Exactly, and that's what I thought we were going to do when we finally cut the cord from Shanahan. Boy was I wrong.

You and me both. Im still shocked that Bowlen went that route. It was pretty clear to most football savvy people and fans that was what was killing Shanahan. :tsk:

Elevation inc
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I would assume it was Xanders who was negotiating contracts with players' agents.

If the article is correct, WHY would it be Ellis who fired McDaniels, and NOT Bowlen???? I can see Bowlen not wanting to do the press conference, but I can't see why it would be Ellis who did the firing. IMO, it definitely appears that Ellis has WAY too much power, and hopefully one article, which I read a few weeks ago is correct, when it was stated that Elway would be BETWEEN Bowlen and Ellis. And for those who did not read what I posted before in another thread, I heard on one of the radios sports talk shows that Bowlen's kids want Bowlen to get rid of Ellis - of course, do not know if that is true or not.

Ellis does have to much power and has for awhile now, more peopel are just realizing what some of us have felt since before shanny was fired with ellis....

Ravage!!!
lol xanders flat out says Josh had final say and you all start faulting xanders, hilarious..fault bowlen and ellis for being tools with the way they made the structure...not xanders.....maybe xanders just wanted to keep his job, the good news is he is a stud with money managing and the cap, contract negotiating and manuvering the draft...for all we knew he wanted the guys we all wanted, maybe the guy deserves a shot....

He's great with the numbers and negotiating contracts for sure. But he's never been a personnel guy. I agree with everything you've said here. Maybe he does... if they can compare his him with others, he might be the guy. If he was the one taking charge of some of these trades...he absolutely needs to be kepts to some capacity.

Northman

They all deserve blame, even Xanders.

Ravage!!!

He's great with the numbers and negotiating contracts for sure. But he's never been a personnel guy. I agree with everything you've said here. Maybe he does... if they can compare his him with others, he might be the guy. If he was the one taking charge of some of these trades (as far as getting return)...he absolutely needs to be kept to some capacity.

Northman
12-18-2010, 12:55 PM

My guess?

Ellis was the biggest reason why McD was hired. It was Ellis that persuaded Bowlen that McD was the right guy for the job. Maybe Bowlen felt that Ellis helped create the mess that he should be the one to fix it.

nevcraw
12-18-2010, 01:08 PM

maybe he does..

can't fault people for looking at him like McD's lacky though.. He was complicit in the 'destruction' and comes across a bit as a ***** for even discussing the structure set up with the press.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
maybe he does..

can't fault people for looking at him like McD's lacky though.. He was complicit in the 'destruction' and comes across a bit as a ***** for even discussing the structure set up with the press.

Actually I'd say Ellis had more to do with it then Xanders, we really don't know the extent he played in the internal coup...but Ellis as the COO should be held more accountable, however, if it is true that Joe Ellis actually was the deciding factor in firing McDipshit then I say he's earned a little reprieve from the fan's ire...not much, but if he can help right the ship I may forgive his ass. If not and we end up worse, then I say string him up outside Invesco Field and let the fans stone his ass.

:lol:

Superchop 7
12-18-2010, 01:30 PM
my guess?

Ellis was the biggest reason why mcd was hired. It was ellis that persuaded bowlen that mcd was the right guy for the job. Maybe bowlen felt that ellis helped create the mess that he should be the one to fix it.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

we have a winner !!!

Superchop 7
12-18-2010, 01:32 PM
It Drives me nuts that a suit (Ellis) has this much power.

We need football men, not accountants.

TXBRONC
12-18-2010, 01:34 PM
McD was Xanders gravy train..
with whatever happened with the Goodman's and McD - Xanders very much benifitted forn the outcome and was not going to bite the hand that feeds.

Although understandable (i guess) this does not give the warm and fuzzy's about him being a tough as nails, visionary GM type..

According the excerpt that Carol gave us it didn't matter if Xanders disagreed with McDaniels on personnel matters.

Dean
12-18-2010, 02:01 PM
The Goodman's disagreed with McKid on personel matters. What did it get them?

You aren't going to win when the number one man in charge (E-man) really has no football knowledge and is depending on the number two guy who has shown a penchant for firing any and all who disagree. What are you going to do?

I don't think that X-man is GM material but i am not sure I would give him either credit or blame for the last two years personel decisions.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 03:20 PM
i want matt millen. . . why take a chance that xanders is competent, however slight it may be?

spikerman
12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
i want matt millen. . . why take a chance that xanders is competent, however slight it may be?

Damn that's funny!

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Because we've got an owner like Pat Bowlen, you know...who is the controlling stock holder, chairman of the board of directors, the president and the chief executive officer, even though he doesn't want to run the team any longer! Instead of let's say, naming Elway as the CEO...don't even ask me why...because I don't have a clue!

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:56 PM
It Drives me nuts that a suit (Ellis) has this much power.

We need football men, not accountants.

"Fooseball, you be playing that fooseball instead of helpin' your momma!"
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jdpMoPVH08U/0.jpg
'Another victim of McDanielsism'

:laugh:

TXBRONC
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM

If they hire Matt Millen I'm goin postal on you bud. :mad: :lol: