PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dennison as head coach? -- maybe a dark horse?

nevcraw
12-17-2010, 10:07 PM
prolly a long shot but based on speculation that the coach hired would be familar to the denver way, i think he could be a dark horse..

1. Well rounded - Coached: ST, OL, OC Played LB for 3 SB teams
2. Smart as a whip - Masters in Civil engineering at CSU
3. Bleeds orange and Blue- see link for quotes
4. already was interviewed for it last time - they were looking for a young shanny not steady eddie.. but after being snake bitten??
5. no baggage and my guess would come on cheap

He's my Mike smith..

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11389950

now get those flame throwers ready..

Dzone
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Who was the coach who said Rick Dennison has the most brilliant football mind of anyone ?
Yes, he definitely has been preparing for it. He's been in the nfl for years...
That was a good article from 2009. Pretty impressive. Yes, he should get another interview. Definitely.
Masters degree in civil engineering. Def understands both sides of the ball.
It could be destiny.

BeefStew25
12-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Dark horse? How racist. Coach Stud is kind of our Dark Horse already.

Nomad
12-18-2010, 06:11 AM
So just because some of these coaches has BRONCO ties or bleeds orange & blue, it's gonna make them a successful HC here in Denver. I hope Bowlen/Ellis/Elway aren't this narrow sighted and researches every coach out there!

HORSEPOWER 56
12-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Dennison is an interesting candidate. He's learned from a lot of good coaches over the years (Shanahan, Kubiak, Alex Gibbs) but the fact the nobody has even mentioned him as more of an afterthought (and only in Broncos circles) as a potential HC makes me wonder if he's really the right guy.

I just hope we do take our time - not too much or the good candidates are gone - and that we don't just jump at the first hot-shot coordinator to hit the market like we did last time.

We need a real HC, hired by a real GM. Not just a couple of projects that can use the Broncos for OJT, do more damage, then move on to some other team.

chazoe60
12-18-2010, 09:35 AM
He should have been hired last time, but McD put the voodoo that he do on Joe Ellis.

Juriga72
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Ellis was transfixed by McD.....

Mcd-"Joe... I just win games thats all. I can get a quarterback who also 'Just wins games' and we will be unstoppable!!!"

Joe-"Ok"

Rick
12-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I think Dennison is an interesting possibility. I wouldn't be against giving him a chance.

i think he gets looked over a bit due to his success being given as a result of not his offense but Shannys, then MCD's, then Kubs and no one has given a real chance to see if any of it's his.

Elevation inc
12-18-2010, 02:33 PM
he's not a darkhorse at all......he is a legit canidate

Superchop 7
12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I would hire him in a New York second.

A defensive guy with a great offensive mind.......exactly what we need.

Has picked up every scheme ever thrown at him.

And he has been under some great teachers.

(And if we get Kubes back as OC......icing on the cake)

Brains over ego.

PAINTERDAVE
12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Need a good GM first.

Soon.

GB2

chazoe60
12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Couple of things Dennison immediately brings:
1. Intelligence- He would probably be the smartest HC in the league

2. Bronco blood- He is a Bronco guy through and through. I am absolutely positive that everything he did would be with the ultimate good of this franchise in his mind.

3. Experience- Maybe not as a HC but he's been in the league in one form or another for his entire adult life I believe.

I would be thrilled with Dennison as our next HC. Definitely need a strong GM first though.

Superchop 7
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Merry Christmas !

Shazam!
12-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I'd be happy with this.

Dzone
12-25-2010, 05:45 AM
we could do a lot worse than Dennison. He would be excellent.

WARHORSE
12-25-2010, 06:09 AM
I like Dennison.

At the same time, say no to first time head coaches.

Dzone
12-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Dennison should be our first choice. Would be great to have Kubiak as OC, but would he take a demotion and work for Dennison?
Fist or Second choice would be Jim Harbaugh. Jimmy Johnson went from college to pros and built a dynasty. Harbaugh will do the same thing. It might as well be here.

horsepig
12-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm on board with Dennison. For all the reasons already mentioned. His units always seemed to me to be among the best coached on the team.

That said, can he handle the HC responsibilities? I have no clue, except that I do agree that he a sharp cookie. The absolute most important things your HC needs to bring are; 1) a successful and well thought out overall scheme designed just for his team,
2) the ability to pick the right coaches to implement said plan.

The HC becomes, after all, more of a kind of administrstor actually, rather than the x's and o's guy. Leave the x's and o's to your coordinators, i.e., hire damn good ones that fit your scheme and long term vision for the team.

nevcraw
12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm on board with Dennison. For all the reasons already mentioned. His units always seemed to me to be among the best coached on the team.

That said, can he handle the HC responsibilities? I have no clue, except that I do agree that he a sharp cookie. The absolute most important things your HC needs to bring are; 1) a successful and well thought out overall scheme designed just for his team,
2) the ability to pick the right coaches to implement said plan.

The HC becomes, after all, more of a kind of administrstor actually, rather than the x's and o's guy. Leave the x's and o's to your coordinators, i.e., hire damn good ones that fit your scheme and long term vision for the team.

1 b.) Effective leader of men.

Sinthor
12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I like Dennison.

At the same time, say no to first time head coaches.

Ah, but remember, this is a copy cat league. Last year the rage was all VERY young coordinators and others becoming HC's and having success like Pittsburgh had happen. That's STILL the rage thanks to the success Joe Garrett and Leslie Frasier had stepping into the HC seat. I think we really missed the boat not picking up Spagnolo or Frasier last year. Anyway, it's done.

That being said, I think you're still going to see the trend be younger guys given their first shot over experienced head coaches returning. Especially with the Bronco's financial situation, I wouldn't expect to see anything else. As long as they have a GM who's REALLY a GM and has authority, I don't see where this would be too bad. Frankly it wouldn't totally surprise me to see us stay with the coaching staff we have now to try and let there be some consistency and to help with developing Tebow. I don't EXPECT that, just saying it wouldn't totally surprise me. I bet it WOULD surprise most though and I can just imagine the fire on the internet if that happened.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dennison or Kubiak, again for the reason of keeping a similar system and getting back to the "Bronco way" as has been stated before.