PDA

View Full Version : It makes sense to me.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I gathered this from this thread about John Elway on one of the local radio stations in Denver. I didn't get hear the interview but the transcript is provided on their station's web page. Any way John says that he was told that for about the last 10-12 weeks Tebow took no snaps with first string offense.

http://www.877theticket.com/page/59/The_John_Elway_Show

On whether it is time to play QB Tim Tebow

"Obviously, it'd be great to see him get some playing time. Obviously, if he hasn't practiced, I don't know how much he's practiced throughout the year. I just know when I was playing, when I was with Gary (Kubiak), Gary was the backup, when Bubby (Brister) was here, we split reps. It was 50-50. I'd take two-thirds of the offensive reps. Whoever the backup was would take one-third of the reps on offense. When we'd go do defensive drills, it'd switch. Gary or Bubby would do two-thirds of the scout team and I'd do the other third. I've always felt like we shared the reps. Whether it was me as the starter or whoever the backup was was taking half of the reps. I was surprised to hear that Tim (Tebow) hadn't taken any reps offensively for the last, I don't know, 10-12 weeks. When I hear that, my concern would be not that it's not good for him to go out and play, but he's gotta be ready to go out and play and you don't want to put him in a situation that he's not ready for. Even though the expectations are not there for him to save this year, the expectations are going to be high of him to go out and perform well. My concern would be to make sure that he gets in a situation where he has a chance to be successful. He can go out there, have the confidence, know what he's doing, be sharp, even though he hasn't been in the offense for two months. That makes it very difficult to do that. That would be my concern."

Northman
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Good stuff Tx, thanks. Sheds a little light of where he was as far as the offense was concerned.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Good stuff Tx, thanks. Sheds a little light of where he was as far as the offense was concerned.

It begs the question what the heck was McDaniels doing to prepare this kid to be his starting quarterback? It doesn't sound like he was doing anything to actually prepare Tebow to step in and play if need be.

chazoe60
12-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Sure does shine a light on just how inept the coaching staff is. McD really was not ready to be a HC in the NFL, the guy is a dammed fool.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
good post

Northman
12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
It begs the question what the heck was McDaniels doing to prepare this kid to be his starting quarterback? It doesn't sound like he was doing any to actually to step in and play if need be.

Either that or Kyle was not as good as we all thought at learning the playbook. I mean, how much practice does the guy need when he is the starter? With Elway saying that he and Bubby split tells me that Orton must of had some bigger issues than we thought in terms of learning it or McD was going to just let Tebow sit for 3 years.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Sure does shine a light on just how inept the coaching staff is. McD really was not ready to be a HC in the NFL, the guy is a dammed fool.

It makes sense why Studesville was resistant to put Tebow in the game last Sunday.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Either that or Kyle was not as good as we all thought at learning the playbook. I mean, how much practice does the guy need when he is the starter? With Elway saying that he and Bubby split tells me that Orton must of had some bigger issues than we thought in terms of learning it or McD was going to just let Tebow sit for 3 years.

Maybe, but I think it's more of an indictment on McDaniels management skills.

Dreadnought
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
If this is true it simply adds to my loathing of Josh McDaniels. What an imbecile - you simply don't do that. QB's go down all the time. It happens. Even Tom Brady can lose a season in the twinkling of an eye. It also makes perfect sense that McD would do this.

I hope he gets an especially itchy rash or something.

NightTrainLayne
12-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Certainly this tells us why Tebow wasn't in the games even when we were down by 30 points.

NightTrainLayne
12-17-2010, 06:18 PM
If this is true it simply adds to my loathing of Josh McDaniels. What an imbecile - you simply don't do that. QB's go down all the time. It happens. Even Tom Brady can lose a season in the twinkling of an eye. It also makes perfect sense that McD would do this.

I hope he gets an especially itchy rash or something.

I wondered last year how Simms could look so bad when he was called to duty in the Washington game. . .. now I know, and have some sympathy for Simms.

Tned-Mobile
12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
While I didn't buy into the theories at first, I have warmed up to believing that some of McDaniels moves were to "prove" his decisions.

Like not playing Hillis with Buck hurt and Moreno worn out. Some claimed Hillis succeding would make Moreno pick look bad.

If you buy that theory, then did be want to prove he was right in trading Cutler and getting Orton. Since common wisdom was Tebow would take a couple years, he had time to "prove" he was right about Orton and Tebow.

Who knows. So much seemed to defy common sense.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dreadnought
12-17-2010, 06:22 PM
While I didn't buy into the theories at first, I have warmed up to believing that some of McDaniels moves were to "prove" his decisions.

Like not playing Hillis with Buck hurt and Moreno worn out. Some claimed Hillis succeding would make Moreno pick look bad.

If you buy that theory, then did be want to prove he was right in trading Cutler and getting Orton. Since common wisdom was Tebow would take a couple years, he had time to "prove" he was right about Orton and Tebow.

Who knows. So much seemed to defy common sense.

McD was coaching scared. He was desperate to save his career, and if that meant working Orton into the ground in a desperate bid to turn him into a game day winner then so be it. The future didn't matter

Rick
12-17-2010, 06:24 PM
My only problem is Elway's math. Says he an brister 50/ 50 then says he took 2 thirds.

He got sacked to much needs some fresher.

But what the hell was wrong with MCD not having his backup prepared...

Northman
12-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I wondered last year how Simms could look so bad when he was called to duty in the Washington game. . .. now I know, and have some sympathy for Simms.

Excellent point.

NightTrainLayne
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
My only problem is Elway's math. Says he an brister 50/ 50 then says he took 2 thirds.

He got sacked to much needs some fresher.

But what the hell was wrong with MCD not having his backup prepared...

He said that he took 2/3 when working with the offense, but that when they ran the scout team he'd take 1/3 and the backup would take 2/3. So he always saw it as splitting the reps.

slim
12-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I am not sure why, but this really pisses me off.

Rick
12-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Ah ok. Was just giving shit anyway :)

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:31 PM

That same thought just crossed my mind as well. If McDaniels hadn't given Tebow any reps with the first then it stands to reason that the same happened with Simms last year.

frauschieze
12-17-2010, 06:31 PM

Oh man. And think of how much better Simms looked during preseason.....

Is it possible that he wasn't nearly as bad as he appeared during the regular season, simply because he didn't benefit from practice time?

Northman
12-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Is it possible that he wasn't nearly as bad as he appeared during the regular season, simply because he didn't benefit from practice time?

Talk about setting you up to fail.

spikerman
12-17-2010, 06:37 PM
It's almost as if McDaniels didn't know what in the hell he was doing.

tomjonesrocks
12-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Such good news all the time coming out of Dove Valley.

Just makes you want to sing and dance down the street! :elefant:

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
McD was coaching scared. He was desperate to save his career, and if that meant working Orton into the ground in a desperate bid to turn him into a game day winner then so be it. The future didn't matter

This is where it get confusing. McDaniels drafts Tebow to eventually be the face of the franchise which telegraphs to the world that Orton isn't in the long term future. What's there to worry about? Ok so people criticize about Orton but if Tebow turns out to be true franchise quarterback whose going make deal about Orton?

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 06:46 PM

If McDaniels was doing that with Tebow this year it's reasonable to think he did the same thing last year with Simms. If that's what happened McDaniels set Simms to fail.

hotcarl
12-17-2010, 07:13 PM

i think this sums up every post about the ghosts of christmas past

mods please close all threads and admins please make me a mod, tia

also please ban "rationalfan"

again, tia

:welcome:

edit: also please make it so there arent a half page of "stickied" threads - maybe add a "sticky" forum? tia

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
It begs the question what the heck was McDaniels doing to prepare this kid to be his starting quarterback? It doesn't sound like he was doing any to actually to step in and play if need be.

He wasn't really built to be. Remember that it wasn't until several weeks into the season that McDaniels told the media that Tebow would be the guy should Orton go down. Until that time, Quinn was really the #2 and the one I imagine was getting most of the 2nd team reps.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM

:spit:

:rofl:

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
He wasn't really built to be. Remember that it wasn't until several weeks into the season that McDaniels told the media that Tebow would be the guy should Orton go down. Until that time, Quinn was really the #2 and the one I imagine was getting most of the 2nd team reps.

"He wasn't really built to be" What does that mean? :confused:

First all McDaniel drafted him to eventually be the face of the franchise. If that's what he really intended then you get kid some work with first unit it doesn't matter if he's the 3rd string quarterback or not. He didn't have give even 50% snaps but a 1/3 of snaps with the first unit is hell of a lot better than none.

Second, Elway said he was surprised that for the last 11 or 12 weeks that means from the start of season to the present Tebow got no work with first unit. Imho that was stupid of McDaniels. So if Tebow wasn't getting any reps with the first unit when he officially became the 2nd string quarterback why would anyone assume that Quinn was getting reps with first unit when he was the back. I would bet dollars to cold dog turds he didn't any time with first unit.

WARHORSE
12-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I think expecting Josh to be a HC was too much.

As for backup prep......this is the same guy that had Cassell playing very well..............but not early on. Cassell struggled like crazy early on, and that would explain why.

Man......that sucks.

But the F.O. was here for it all.

We will find out about Mr. Tebow, and I think he'll be fine.

At least, thats what Im gonna keep tellin meself. Its cold outside.:shots:

DenBronx
12-17-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm more than shocked. I can't believe McD wasn't getting this kid ANY practice time/reps for 10-12 weeks! How do you expect to develop anyone or have them ready when needed? Here we are with only 3 games to go and now Tebow might have to play in one of the ugliest games of his career in Oakland. If Tebow has been held back it's not because of him.

Elway seriously needs to get highly involved. I think he has a level head on player evaluations and people really respect him. Although he has no coaching or front office experience in the NFL he does have experience owning an arena team that won it all. John also IMO, should be involved in coaching QB's. Kind of bring him in a dual role because he could really coach Tim into a franchise QB yet be involved in the front office.

DenBronx
12-17-2010, 09:48 PM

Yet, Bowlen hired him johnny on the spot. I hope Pat has learned a lesson and not hire the first head coaching candidate he sees this time. Why doesn't he interview 5-10 coaches and mull it over? Just think if he would have taken more time to interview Spagnulo or Morris.

jhildebrand
12-17-2010, 10:20 PM

It would make less sense seeing how McDaniels was the OC the year Brady went down in week 1 against KC. You think he would understand the importance of a back up QB and realize they are one play away from being the starter.

If this holds to be true then McD is certainly thick headed and not a quick learner.

Medford Bronco
12-17-2010, 10:22 PM

It just shows how stupid McDaniels was. If he was the #2 then why was he not even getting some more reps. If Orton got hurt then what. 50 running plays. I am glad that moron is fired. He sucks even more than I thought was possible.

Northman
12-17-2010, 10:28 PM
It just shows how stupid McDaniels was. If he was the #2 then why was he not even getting some more reps. If Orton got hurt then what. 50 running plays. I am glad that moron is fired. He sucks even more than I thought was possible.

Yea, it really doesnt make much sense but only confirms what many of thought initially. He may go on in the future and be a good HC but he was way in over his head here and it cost this franchise in the process unfortuantely. At this point we should already be a playoff contender.

Medford Bronco
12-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Yea, it really doesnt make much sense but only confirms what many of thought initially. He may go on in the future and be a good HC but he was way in over his head here and it cost this franchise in the process unfortuantely. At this point we should already be a playoff contender.

Just keeping the offense together with Hillis and focusing on D would have yielded an 8-8 team.

Yes I was on Cutler but he would have been better served staying here and woking with McD if he was such and offensive guru as many claim.

oh well.

On to a high pick and back to respectablity next season. Look at KC. They have turned it around with a real GM. I hope we can too.

claymore
12-17-2010, 11:00 PM
McDaniels thought with his wang. He didnt have long term plans. It was always spurt of the moment stuff.

Medford Bronco
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
McDaniels thought with his wang. He didnt have long term plans. It was always spurt of the moment stuff.

Now as you were right Clay, what is your next preditction?

claymore
12-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Now as you were right Clay, what is your next preditction?

That it will take a long time to recover. We will be lucky as shit if we are winning within the next couple of years.

I want Elway in an ass kicking position, I dont want him managing talent. He cant be in a position where the fans get mad at him because he is our only hope.

BeefStew25
12-17-2010, 11:38 PM
This is the most tactful way Elway can say McD is a douche horn.

Clay, you better be getting some Christmas cards from some of these people.

I am grinding my teeth right now.

BeefStew25
12-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Also, yes, ban Rational Fan until he learns irony and pubes.

claymore
12-17-2010, 11:43 PM
This is the most tactful way Elway can say McD is a douche horn.

Clay, you better be getting some Christmas cards from some of these people.

I am grinding my teeth right now.

Not a single card Beef. Cswil's apology is all I want for Christmas.

BeefStew25
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Not a single card Beef. Cswil's apology is all I want for Christmas.

Well, I have bad news. He likes Hoe more than he likes you. Hoe is his Ben McDaniels.

claymore
12-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I have bad news. He likes Hoe more than he likes you. Hoe is his Ben McDaniels.

He built his house on sand if you know what I mean.

BeefStew25
12-17-2010, 11:53 PM
He built his house on sand if you know what I mean.

I agree. But we can't keep score.

claymore
12-18-2010, 12:01 AM
I agree. But we can't keep score.

Cswil is my Vietnam.

BeefStew25
12-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Cswil is my Vietnam.

I just spit semen all over my screen.

claymore
12-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I just spit semen all over my screen.

Was it your semen? If so it clears up the issue in the other thread,. :D

TXBRONC
12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Yet, Bowlen hired him johnny on the spot. I hope Pat has learned a lesson and not hire the first head coaching candidate he sees this time. Why doesn't he interview 5-10 coaches and mull it over? Just think if he would have taken more time to interview Spagnulo or Morris.

McDaniels did a good job of selling himself and his plan so I can't fault Bowlen or even McDaniels for that. That's doing what you're suppose to do.

jhildebrand
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
McDaniels did a good job of selling himself and his plan so I can't fault Bowlen or even McDaniels for that. That's doing what you're suppose to do.

I thought that way for a moment. However, when you think about all the experience Bowlen has being owner and everything he has seen, and Ellis for that matter, this should NEVER have happened. There is no excuse for it!

Bowlen made the statement that he "runs the show" and he promised the fans that there would be changes yet he sat back and LET McDaniels take control without intervention. I don't blame McD for trying. At some point Bowlen should have recalled his promise to the fans and had Ellis intervene.

I liked McD the coach. Although he was raw at times I still liked him as a coach. I think this team could be doing pretty well had they stepped in and kept the Goodmans and made sure McD focused on just coaching.

Oh well! Its all done and over with. Now let's all hope they take their time with the hires that need be made and let's hope the right hires or made.

TXBRONC
12-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I thought that way for a moment. However, when you think about all the experience Bowlen has being owner and everything he has seen, and Ellis for that matter, this should NEVER have happened. There is no excuse for it!

Bowlen made the statement that he "runs the show" and he promised the fans that there would be changes yet he sat back and LET McDaniels take control without intervention. I don't blame McD for trying. At some point Bowlen should have recalled his promise to the fans and had Ellis intervene.

I liked McD the coach. Although he was raw at times I still liked him as a coach. I think this team could be doing pretty well had they stepped in and kept the Goodmans and made sure McD focused on just coaching.

Oh well! Its all done and over with. Now let's all hope they take their time with the hires that need be made and let's hope the right hires or made.

I'm just talking about the act of hiring McDaniels. Anyone going into a job interview is going try and put their best foot forward. So an employer hires a guy with whom he is impressed with only to find out later he wasn't good hire. From what we understand it wasn't Bowlen's original was not to give him that much authority and why Bowlen changed his mind we'll probably never know. If Bowlen had stuck to the original idea of having a three headed GM team might of helped McDaniels but then again maybe it wouldn't have because he was very adversarial when came to his staff and players.

McDaniels from every account is very bright when it comes Xs and Os but less impressed with ability to manage his players. He drafted Tim with intent of him eventually becoming his starting quarterback but from the start of season up to the point he was fired Tim hadn't taken a single snap with first team offense in practice according what Elway heard. Even McDaniels didn't have any thoughts to starting Tebow he should have at the very least given some practice time each week so he get comfortable with offense. Knowing that it now makes sense to me why both McDaniels and Studesville were resistant to putting Tebow in the games that were blow outs.

JaxBroncoGirl
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
It begs the question what the heck was McDaniels doing to prepare this kid to be his starting quarterback? It doesn't sound like he was doing anything to actually prepare Tebow to step in and play if need be.

Something is so wrong with this. Suppose Orton was seriously hurt? Everyone has good points here about McD but, how in the life of me did this organization let it get to this point? If Orton did get hurt and he threw Tebow in there, to me McD would have looked like a very big fool.

Some say McD was good at preparing the team for the next game. I disagree. Knowing our OL is a little weak, any normal person would have known to have the back up QB ready, Tebow and Quinn are not second thoughts and to not give them any "real practice time" is just plain stupid and management should be fired as well for letting this happen.

spikerman
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
to me McD would have looked like a very big fool.

I'm afraid that ship had sailed by the end of the 2009 NFL draft.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:51 PM

More like the minute the idiot got caught trying to trade Cutler for Cassel, at that point I needed nothing more to base my opinion off of. And since he's proven my thoughts of him time and time again.

http://www.ks1075.com/Pics/1%20Morning%20Show%20Pics/NOVEMBER2010/josh%20mcdaniels%20not%20my%20coach%20t%20shirt%20 image%20cropped.JPG

Sinthor
12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Something is so wrong with this. Suppose Orton was seriously hurt? Everyone has good points here about McD but, how in the life of me did this organization let it get to this point? If Orton did get hurt and he threw Tebow in there, to me McD would have looked like a very big fool.

Some say McD was good at preparing the team for the next game. I disagree. Knowing our OL is a little weak, any normal person would have known to have the back up QB ready, Tebow and Quinn are not second thoughts and to not give them any "real practice time" is just plain stupid and management should be fired as well for letting this happen.

Yeah, well this certainly puts McDaniels quotes in a different light when he was talking about "not just experience, but GOOD experience." Putting a backup in cold when they haven't worked on the game plan or gotten up to speed by working with the first team at all might certainly not be a "good experience." Good grief. We ARE starting to find out more and more of how screwed up things were during the past two years, aren't we! Unbelievable.

Again, I'd still like to know if any other teams operate that way though and if so, how many do it that way versus splitting snaps with their backup during the week? Is this as abnormal as it seems or is it not?

TXBRONC
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Think Titanic.