PDA

View Full Version : Youth, Broncos Pack Fundraiser

Retired_Member_001
09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
DENVER -- The Darrent Williams Teen Center moved a step closer to reality Monday morning.

The Broncos staged a fundraiser at the Boys & Girls club in Montbello to raise the final $98,000, kicking off an auction that runs through Thursday and accepting a $30,000 donation from Javon Walker.

The community room teemed with children, teenagers and adults of all ages, scrambling to snap camera phone pictures and procure autographed footballs and pictures from their favorite Broncos. It resembled a stirred-up anthill at times, with the masses surrounding Champ Bailey, Jay Cutler and John Lynch.

If they stayed for KOA's entire broadcast from 5-9 a.m., they probably saw their favorite up close. KOA estimated over 40 Broncos attended, playing pool and Madden 08 with the kids and promoting the fundraiser.

When Javon announced his $30,000 contribution on the air, many Boys & Girls Club employees and members stopped to cheer, chills running up their arms.

"We need $98,000? Well you can change that number to $68,000," Walker said.

Contributions from those who came bumped the total down almost $2,000 further. Additional funds are guaranteed after the auction closes at 5 p.m. Thursday.

The auction includes two sideline passes to Sunday's game against Jacksonville, two signed copies of Game of My Life: Denver Broncos and five signed Darrent Williams footballs, which Rod Smith dared anyone to out-bid him for.

"I already put my bid in. I'm going to check the Web site to make sure because there's only- five of them. You've got to think about it, there's only five of them with his actual autograph on them, so I've got to have one. I've got a nice picture of him that's going in my house and I want to put that with it," Smith said.

Kids and parents alike beamed with delight, so excited that many of the free doughnuts went untouched, the director made an announcement warning kids against staying and skipping school, and one woman came within an inch of hitting a car when she parked.

"Sorry, we were just a little excited when we came in here," she giggled.

The Broncos shared her unfettered enthusiasm. Many arrived before the sun peaked over the horizon despite it being one of the precious few players' days off.

When asked about their presence, every single player responded adamantly, citing their love for Darrent Williams and the kids he cherished.

"It's self-explanatory to be quite honest with you," Hamza Abdullah said. "I mean, Darrent Williams, you don't have to say too much more."

This wasn't a community event where players had to be encouraged to attend.

"What made me come? It was a given, man. This ain't something that you question when you find out about it," Smith said.

Lynch summed up everyone's thoughts.

"I think it's pretty plain and simple. First of all, I'm a big believer in the Boys & Girls Club and what they do for kids," Lynch said. "I think in all communities, they give kids a positive alternative to come make positive use, to be active, get their schoolwork done, after school programs, it keeps them out of trouble.

"And Darrent Williams loved this place. He would come in, stop by unannounced. We can be sad that Darrent's gone, but the best way we can honor him is to make his legacy live, and his legacy was one of helping kids and this place in particular. I think this is an awesome deal today."

Lynch and Smith both recalled what a positive influence Boys & Girls Clubs and their directors were in their lives growing up.

Many players also reflected on what Williams would think of the future Teen Center that will proudly bear his name.

"He'd probably shed some tears to be quite honest with you. He was such a humble person, and this was definitely a humbling experience," Abdullah said. "My wife, she asked if she could come. It's that important to us, so I just thank everyone that put this on, and Domonique Foxworth, he was a big motivator for this, so thank all the guys for putting this on."

Smith feels like Williams does realize what is going on.

"Trust me, he knows. He already knows. He lives through all of us, not only just the players and the organization and our staff but also through all of these kids, because he touched a lot of their lives and the lives of this community. He's there, he's here with us, and I know his mom would be proud of today, and it's going to live on and on and on," Smith said.

Williams often conversed with members of the Boys & Girls Club, and there's no doubt in the team's mind he would be pleased with it's place in the community.

"This is a great opportunity for the youth in Denver to have something positive to look at," Abdullah said. "When I was younger, I wish I would've had something like this to come to. It literally keeps you off the streets. The more children we can keep off the streets, hopefully we can keep them out of jail, keep them out of caskets, so this is huge."

The additional space to be set aside specifically for teens will go a long way towards making the Boys & Girls Club a more popular spot for teenagers.

"There's a lot of younger kids. If all the little kids come, a lot of teens don't want to," said 16-year-old Lucia Madera, a member of the club since it opened in August 2003. "If we have a teen center, we'll have more teens that come up here, and that's a good thing. Usually if you don't have anywhere to go, we'll hang out at the park. With the teen center, we'll have somewhere to go and something to do."

Madera remembers the fateful New Year's Day text messages she received from friends bearing word on Darrent's death set to the background of somber newscasts and frantic voices, and she appreciates the players' support.

"I think that's cool because it shows that they care about the community and that they remember where they came from and everything," she said. "Everybody understands that it's a memory of Darrent and we're doing this partly for him."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7251