PDA

View Full Version : Champ Wont Be Going Anywhere

WARHORSE
12-17-2010, 03:28 AM
For those of you who think Champ will be leaving, think again. If we do not reach an agreement with him, we will tag him, end of story.

If there is no CBA in place, we will have the use of three tags rather than one.

If there IS a CBA in place, that will determine the route taken.

We have no other outstanding free agents next to Champ except Ryan Harris.

Since hes been injured alot, he should be easy to sign. But if not, we can tender him at a specific amount as well.

Doom is signed. So is Orton and the boys.

Champ will be franchised if worse comes to worse, or transition tagged for a first and a third.

Which means unless someone else signs him and we dont match, we will get draft picks or Champ.

Since Cox has legal issues that are pending, it may help the Broncos decide to sign Champ, which will be the smart thing to do.

We wont be drafting Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara in the first round.

All that talk Im pretty sure is going without merit.

Just a thought.:salute:

Dzone
12-17-2010, 03:56 AM
He's been a lone bright spot on that D. Would be great for him to retire a Bronco and be another Bronco in the hall of fame. Some guys just have good genetics for longevity. He hasnt hit that wall yet and may not for another 2 or more years.

JDL
12-17-2010, 04:41 AM
For those of you who think Champ will be leaving, think again. If we do not reach an agreement with him, we will tag him, end of story.

If there is no CBA in place, we will have the use of three tags rather than one.

If there IS a CBA in place, that will determine the route taken.

We have no other outstanding free agents next to Champ except Ryan Harris.

Since hes been injured alot, he should be easy to sign. But if not, we can tender him at a specific amount as well.

Doom is signed. So is Orton and the boys.

Champ will be franchised if worse comes to worse, or transition tagged for a first and a third.

Which means unless someone else signs him and we dont match, we will get draft picks or Champ.

Since Cox has legal issues that are pending, it may help the Broncos decide to sign Champ, which will be the smart thing to do.

We wont be drafting Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara in the first round.

All that talk Im pretty sure is going without merit.

Just a thought.:salute:

If we sign Champ... it is no guarantee we have any depth behind CB or S.. Peterson is a tremendous DB prospect probably projecting to cover safety... we don't have anyone there that is so good you don't take Peterson... Champ will eventually move to Safety and at times early in the year looked ready for the move... 2 years max.. about the time we could use a franchise CB to step up... Sorry... even IF Champ is signed... we have needs in the secondary and up front and all players worthy of whatever pick we are at will be considered on the defensive side of the ball... no question whatsoever.

Lancane
12-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Don't count on that War, I don't want to see Champ leave as much as the next Broncos' fan, but I also realize that we're rebuilding and could be a year or two, if not more from actually competing. And if anyone deserves a ring more then Champ then you tell me who it is?

I find it rather selfish that people are willing to throw the tag card, most pro football players don't like being franchised as is, because it's effortless for the team and players figure if they really wanted to keep them a deal would have been put on the table - even worse since we pulled out of contract extension talks. If Bailey wants to stay, then so be it...but at least let it be on his terms, instead of forcing someone that has meant so much to the team and the fans to maybe turn and despise us. It's all dandy that we could force him into a tenth season here, but then what if he wants to go elsewhere especially after that. We've seen it plenty of times, a good veteran given the highest tender and then that team gets one more season - but the athlete then wants to leave more then he did before.

I don't mind throwing mid-round tenders on Ryan Harris, Dan Gronkowski or Marcus Thomas, we could use the picks...but I am against using the tag on Bailey, he deserves better. And if we're not willing to give him what he wants contract wise, then he should be able to find a team that can offer him what he is seeking, especially after all he's done for us! And by using that tag you eliminate him getting what he deserves, no team is going to give a 1st round pick, let alone a 1st and a 3rd for a veteran of his caliber that has been in the league for as long.

And according to the commissioner of the NFL, he expects a new CBA to be in place by the time the Super Bowl takes place. It's the top priority for league officials at this time according to his own statements to the NFL Network, so that could change a lot of things going into the upcoming off-season.

gobroncsnv
12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
If I was Champ, I'd hold out until Denver finally gets him some help up front. We force him to have to cover for what seems like MINUTES per play. Don't care how good he is, eventually folks can get open. Right now, he's like a pitcher who loses a 12 inning complete game, 1-0... he could sue for non-support.
If I'm Champ, I'd force the trade if we don't get some stability with a DC, and some genuine talent on the front line. I sure wouldn't blame him, and I despise holdouts... This man has put up with too much of this crap for far too long. We took a lot of good years away from him that could have been better spent on teams that know what it takes to build a D the right way, yet he just soldiers on. My hat is off to him, but you can tell by his recent comments that he's got some regrets about being here. I say good luck signing him to anything.

Cane, your post wasn't up when I started this one, and it is not letting me give you a high five, but I would if I could.

Lancane
12-17-2010, 08:02 AM
And you mentioned Orton War, there is a very good chance that Orton is gone come the off-season, unless he is willing to rework his contract, take an extension and become the teams long-term backup at the quarterback position...and is there any of us that see him doing that? He wants to play, he wants to be the starter and the majority of the fanbase doesn't want him to remain in that capacity. He'll cost us 9 million for the entire season, I'd be surprised if the club doesn't take the first trade offer that get's him out of Denver, and if no offer is made and he doesn't restructure, I'd bet money his ass is cut come June 1st.

None of the players on the roster should feel too safe at this point, we're rebuilding and that usually means casualties in the name of progress and improvement.

Lancane
12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
If we sign Champ... it is no guarantee we have any depth behind CB or S.. Peterson is a tremendous DB prospect probably projecting to cover safety... we don't have anyone there that is so good you don't take Peterson... Champ will eventually move to Safety and at times early in the year looked ready for the move... 2 years max.. about the time we could use a franchise CB to step up... Sorry... even IF Champ is signed... we have needs in the secondary and up front and all players worthy of whatever pick we are at will be considered on the defensive side of the ball... no question whatsoever.

Why is it that people are clamoring over Peterson, when this team needs to get tougher up front defensively? If you can not collapse the pocket, put pressure on the quarterback and shut down the run game...then no matter who is playing at corner or safety will make a bit of difference. And that should be evident, we've had one of the best corners in the league for years now, it hasn't made the defense better as a unit. We've long needed a monster upfront and if the next regime overlooks Fairley or Dareus to get Peterson, then that should show us that we have the wrong people in the front seat running things.

Re-sign Bailey if we can, if not...so be it. We cut Cox if he is guilty, if it's proven otherwise, then we keep him and let the suspension play out. We still have Goodman, Thompson, Jones and Vaughn for depth. We sign a free agent like Chris Carr or Ike Taylor, then draft a kid in the second or third round of the draft. But that first overall pick should be used on a stud for the defensive line and most I feel would agree with that...no matter Peterson's pedigree or tangibles.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Why is it that people are clamoring over Peterson, when this team needs to get tougher up front defensively? If you can not collapse the pocket, put pressure on the quarterback and shut down the run game...then no matter who is playing at corner or safety will make a bit of difference. And that should be evident, we've had one of the best corners in the league for years now, it hasn't made the defense better as a unit. We've long needed a monster upfront and if the next regime overlooks Fairley or Dareus to get Peterson, then that should show us that we have the wrong people in the front seat running things.

Re-sign Bailey if we can, if not...so be it. We cut Cox if he is guilty, if it's proven otherwise, then we keep him and let the suspension play out. We still have Goodman, Thompson, Jones and Vaughn for depth. We sign a free agent like Chris Carr or Ike Taylor, then draft a kid in the second or third round of the draft. But that first overall pick should be used on a stud for the defensive line and most I feel would agree with that...no matter Peterson's pedigree or tangibles.

Just look at the Steelers where do they put the lion's share of their money? In the front seven and that is what Denver needs to do. Maybe Peterson will be great, but you can find quality help in later rounds of the draft.

BroncoStud
12-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I really hope you're right.

EMB6903
12-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Peterson/Champ safety duo sounds sweet.... or even CB duo.. they are that good they could start and be succesful at both positions.

jhildebrand
12-17-2010, 12:08 PM
IIRC, because of Champ's status going into the uncapped year, if the CBA gets worked out and the franchise and or transition tags survive Champ cannot be tagged.

I am sure I even read as much somewhere else recently. I believe Champ is free to do as he pleases as soon as this season is done.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I think Champ will absolutely be gone. I don't think we spend the money to tag him, and let him go to another team so that they pay him his second, big, contract.

PAINTERDAVE
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Sign Champ.

Just do a deal and sign him, dangit.

Sign the man!

We love ya, big Guy!

Sign him!

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I am torn about Champ.

I think he's a class A persona and does nothing but great things for Denver and the organization, and he's an outstanding player.

On the other hand, I want him to get a ring, and we all know that won't happen in Denver.

I only want him leaving if he goes to a contender, which would probably be obvious.

Lonestar
12-17-2010, 02:13 PM

PArt of the issue is IF you fix the front seven and by that I mean putting heat on the Qb and stopping the run, then you do not need elite CB's that cost loads of money.

You can get away with good ones. The Priority IMO is always elite LOS players as they will always make those behind them better.

Everyone needs to realize that the model we have been following for a long time was broken, Running game is 1990's, Passing game is 2010s.

we no longer need an elite RB to win, it is nice to have but it is really far down the list of needs for this team, same goes for a shut down corner.

Fix the obvious areas first and when you get them shored up then get your nice to haves.

We have been unable to fix/shut down the record setting running backs that have killed us for such a long time. Because we were gearing up to stop losing to manning, got Champ did not help, added another good CB still did not help because he started throwing to the #3 and 4 receivers.

We failed to get heat on manning from our DL and regardless of how many we brought he had enough time to find an open WR or TE.

Fix the DL first folks it is the only way to beat the elite teams.

I want to win in the play offs not just get to them. and be one and done after getting our buts kicked every time.

claymore
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Id rather spend 13 million a year on some Dlineman.

rcsodak
12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Id rather spend 13 million a year on some Dlineman.
Yeh...I heard you liked those bigger butts. :D