PDA

View Full Version : Rookie fullback earns starting job

Skinny
09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Nice little read on Peyton Hillis...

Sept. 3, 2008

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Broncos fullback Peyton Hillis' willingness to hit anything in his way has made him a favorite among Denver's tailbacks.

It's also earned the rookie a starting spot, a week after worrying about whether or not he'd even make the team.

"Everything's moving so fast," Hillis said. "I've got to adjust in a big hurry ... and I've already got adjusted to it. I've been through that point where I was calling my family, telling them how excited I was. Now, it's to the point where I have to get down to business."

One teammate who quickly became a believer in Hillis was tailback Andre Hall.

"I'm loving Hillis. He doesn't really care, he'll hit whoever. And he hits and he keeps driving," Hall said during camp. "Most guys hit and twist and turn their body. Hillis hits you right down the middle, he's going to continue to drive right through the play."

Hall said there's more to Hillis than his hard-hitting style, too.

"I won't lie. I think Hillis could fight for the best hands on the team," Hall said. "Offensive wise, or in the running back room, he's got it, I can't fight with him. I'm going to give him a run, but he's probably got the best hands out of the running backs."

He also has arguably the best scouting report on Raiders rookie running back Darren McFadden. After all, Hillis blocked for the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up while they were at Arkansas.

So, what's the secret to stopping the 6-foot-2, 210-pound McFadden?

"You've got to hit him low and hit him hard," Hillis said. "He's a big, strong guy. He's a tough runner and the sooner you stop him the better it is for us."

Hillis got off to a slow start in training camp, falling behind the other candidates with an injured left hamstring.

So concerned were the Broncos about their depth at fullback, they switched Michael Pittman over from tailback and rookie Spencer Larsen from linebacker.

But Hillis proved to be a fast healer, quickly working his way back into the mix. He was elevated to the top of the depth chart after incumbent Cecil Sapp suffered a left quad injury in the preseason finale.

Hillis is eager to be the lead blocker on a team that relishes running the ball.

"It's big for me," he said. "I've waited my whole life for this point and I'm going to take full advantage of it."

BroncoWave
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
What a steal! I have a feeling this guy is going to be an absolute pleasure to watch play.

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Im pumped about Hillis. Corn fed country boys just make ya wanna bust a chew.

NameUsedBefore
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm a huge proponent of having a blocking fullback so this is awesome.

DenBronx
09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
so did hillis win the starting job by default because of injury to sapp or did his play on the field out right win it????

shank
09-04-2008, 01:06 AM
hillis has got the magic stick.

lex
09-04-2008, 01:06 AM
so did hillis win the starting job by default because of injury to sapp or did his play on the field out right win it????

I think they finally recognized that Sapp sucks.

Italianmobstr7
09-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Sapp doesn't suck. He's just not our prototypical FB. He's more of a RB. I'm glad that we've got Hillis now, and hopefully he can stay healthy and be the FB that our team needs him to be. I love that he can CATCH as well as block, and he can run. He's definitely a triple threat when it comes to the backfield. Great steal by Shanny in the draft. It's nice to finally have an actualy BLOCKING FB.

BCJ
09-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Just show us what we have been missing since Howard Griffith has left us. Not too many fullbacks in the NFL get much love (or a chance to even be a real fullback), but I think Shanahan is happy with our depth and ability in the backfield and will use this not just when BM is out of the Raiders game but a total, complete package this 08 season. If he can catch like he has shown, you know Mike dug out the old Fullback swing passes from those SuperBowl days.

gobroncsnv
09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah, that catch he made against the Pack from like the 3 yard line was a swing pass. Caught the ball, HUNG ON TO IT, and got a first down that got us so much out of the hole we completed a 99 yd drive. The guy's build is what's impressive... he is just THICK. Kind of a throwback FB build, but he can also move. Like the guy, and very glad he's gonna start, from what I've seen of him so far. We're getting a really good yoot movement on this team, 3 rookie starters (4 if punters count), and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players.

broncofaninfla
09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I really think Hillis will be a huge addition to our offense. He is a bull like Allstot with the hands of a receiver not to mention the blocking abilties. I expect some early mistakes in the pass blocking schemes but even with that will be a HUGE upgrade over Sapp.

MOtorboat
09-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I love Hillis!

But I've got to comment on this:

You've got to hit him low and hit him hard. He's a big, strong guy. He's a tough runner and the sooner you stop him the better it is for us.
Um...I don't think that's a good sign...:eek: our linebackers aren't known for wrapping up.

claymore
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I love Hillis!

But I've got to comment on this:

Um...I don't think that's a good sign...:eek: our linebackers aren't known for wrapping up.They looked 10 X better in the preseason..... Not saying much, but we are far better this year than last. We look so much faster side to side. And I am glad Abdulla isnt starting as well.

hamrob
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I think Hillis has Pro-bowl ability...but he's a Rookie. He's going to makes some really nice plays this year...but he's also going to make some really stupid mistakes.

Down the road though...this kid is like Daryl Johston...BMarsh is like Michael Ivin and Jay Cutler is like Troy Aikman...all we're missing now is that elite RB in the mix.

xzn
09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Scheffler = Novacek

Shanahan > Norv Turner

Eddie Royal > Anthony Harper ?!?

I think Hillis has Pro-bowl ability...but he's a Rookie. He's going to makes some really nice plays this year...but he's also going to make some really stupid mistakes.

Down the road though...this kid is like Daryl Johston...BMarsh is like Michael Ivin and Jay Cutler is like Troy Aikman...all we're missing now is that elite RB in the mix.

CoachChaz
09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I think Cutler has more talent and a bigger arm than Aikman ever did. The difference is Aikman knew what to do with it. I think Jay has an idea as long as he doesnt get over-confident.

Novacek could block decently...Sheff doesnt know the meaning of the word.

I'll buy the Marshall = Irvin thing anf the Hillis = Johnston idea

But aside from RB, what's missing?

How about 5 guys named Stepnoski, Tuinei, Newton, Allen and Williams. That was maybe the best offensive line ever assembled and our currnt guys are nowhere near that unit

HolyDiver
09-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I think Cutler has more talent and a bigger arm than Aikman ever did. The difference is Aikman knew what to do with it. I think Jay has an idea as long as he doesnt get over-confident.

How about 5 guys named Stepnoski, Tuinei, Newton, Allen and Williams. That was maybe the best offensive line ever assembled and our currnt guys are nowhere near that unit

Clady, Kuper, Lichtensieger and Harris are a good start.

CoachChaz
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Clady, Kuper, Lichtensieger and Harris are a good start.

I want to agree...but let me decide after the 4 of them have played more than 20 games combined

broncobryce
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Cutler has a better arm and runs better than Aikman. Marshall breaks more tackles than Irvin. It's just mental now.

CoachChaz
09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Cutler has a better arm and runs better than Aikman. Marshall breaks more tackles than Irvin. It's just mental now.

Aikman played within his limits though. Sometimes Jay gets over confident and forces stuff to happen. Lets not go about proclaiming Jay as being better than a Hall of Fame QB with 3 rings just yet.

drewloc
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it's a little early to be crowning Jay with anything, but I do think it will happen eventually. On Hillis though, the kid is a beast, and I look forward to seeing a true fullback in the mix again. I remember having Howard in the mix during the super bowl years, and I still think he was one of the most underrated players we had.

CoachChaz
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Im pretty excited about Hillis. Young and Hall have to be ecstatic to have a monster like that paving the way. 6-2, 250 is just insane

G_Money
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Hillis doesn't have great technique, but he has great want-to.

There's no better RB coach in the league than Turner. Give it a couple of years and when Hillis has his technique catch up to his want-to he's gonna be a monster. With that size, speed, hands out of the backfield? Once he gets the chance to run for us a little bit I'm terribly intrigued by the package he could be.

~G

BroncoWave
09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
To compare ANYONE on this team to anyone on the 90's Cowboys team is VERY premature.

Davii
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
To compare ANYONE on this team to anyone on the 90's Cowboys team is VERY premature.

What about Henry = Irvin?

I know, he's not on the team anymore, but the comparison works, obviously not for on field play, but it works.

MOtorboat
09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
What about Henry = Irvin?

I know, he's not on the team anymore, but the comparison works, obviously not for on field play, but it works.

Henry has Irvin beat by a mile...I mean, Irvin only has two children, from the same mother...

G_Money
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM

I used to get mad at the "Aikman is the greatest QB in the league" stuff, because at the time John was getting killed and I was tired of seeing the guy that WAS the greatest QB in the league suffer because he didn't have a line that could give him 5 seconds on a continuous basis.

But the TALENT of that Cowboys team was undeniable, and Aikman was as cool as it came under pressure if his line WAS being besieged that day. It was surprising for a guy who didn't have to stand up to a constant rush - he was a great decision maker. It was a shame the concussions took him out early, but I'm glad he got out with his marbles intact and his rings to show for it.

Wouldn't hate for Cutler to have a similar career, that's for sure.

~G

SarahKay
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Peyton Hillis will be a beast this year.. just wait!

gobroncsnv
09-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't think Aikman's first few years were anything to write home about. The 'boys stunk on ice his first couple of years. Like G said, you really can't compare the quality of a QB with ANYONE until the guy has a decent line to play behind. Some can do more with less, but they can't reach their full potential until they can be comfortable when they drop back, and have a running game to build with. Our line REALLY is gonna be as big as any other factor in Jay's development.

Scarface
09-05-2008, 08:41 AM
It's still too early to compare Cutler to any QB. But one thing Cutler already has that Aikman never had is the ability to improvise and make something out of nothing. That was never Aikman's game.

MOtorboat
09-05-2008, 09:01 AM
It's still too early to compare Cutler to any QB. But one thing Cutler already has that Aikman never had is the ability to improvise and make something out of nothing. That was never Aikman's game.

I like to compare him to Young, Vince Young.
Cutler: 378-604, 62.6 %, 4,498, 29-19, 88.2, 21 games
Young: 422-739, 57.1 %, 4,475, 21-30, 69.0, 28 games

lex
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Not that I want to take anything away from Hillis because Im glad we have him and, moreover, Im glad we drafted a real fullback. But Its kind of hard to call it earning a spot when 2 of the candidates werent true fullbacks (Pittman and Larsen) and Sapp was so bad that we drafted Hillis, meaning Sapp was on his way out before Hillis was even on the team. With that in mind, he kind of won it by being healthy and by being a default fullback and not some convert.