PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Still Harbors Ill Will Towards Al Davis

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Broncos coach Mike Shanahan ended his weekly news conference Wednesday by admittedly firing up his personal rivalry with Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis.
Nearly 20 years after Davis fired Shanahan as the Raiders' head coach, a reporter asked Shanahan if he still harbors bad feelings against Davis and the Raiders, or if time has dissolved his anger about being let go four games into the 1989 season or Davis in general.
"No, it doesn't dissipate at all," Shanahan said with a stern stare.
The reporter replied: "So feelings are still the same today as they were the day you became the coach here and first played them?"
"I said it doesn't dissipate at all — that's what that means," Shanahan said.
"Thank you," the reporter said after getting a far better response than he expected.
"You're welcome," Shanahan replied, before walking from the podium, smiling, and saying: "OK, might as well get it fired up."
The Broncos visit the Raiders on Monday night for the season opener for both teams. Earlier, Shanahan discussed the game without mentioning the bitterness of the rivalry. "First game of the season is always big, especially AFC West, on the road, Monday night," Shanahan said. "It's a big first game for us. We get a chance to showcase our team on national television (and the) AFC West. It's something you look forward to."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it me, or did the words, " We get a chance to showcase our team on national television" grab you by the boo-boo?

Showcase huh? Like putting a cherried out car in a display case, eh?

Like the grand opening of a new game system, hmmm?

I like showcase.

And Im not looking for any disappointments either.:coffee:

:salute::salute::salute::salute:

Northman
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Lets hope we can showcase an ass whooping. :)

BeefStew25
09-03-2008, 10:08 PM
War,

I :salute: you. Tackling drills in the backyard in 5.

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
War,

I :salute: you. Tackling drills in the backyard in 5.

:salute:

K.

Pads or helmet and shorts?

BeefStew25
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
:salute:

K.

Pads or helmet and shorts?

Mouthpieces only. No shorts.

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Lets hope we can showcase an ass whooping. :)

Lets expose their panties.:coffee:

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Mouthpieces only. No shorts.

Without the shorts, wont yer pad fall down? lol.........

arapaho2
09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Lets expose their panties.:coffee:

lets get kiffin fired!!!....just for shits and giggles

NameUsedBefore
09-03-2008, 11:22 PM
"I said it doesn't dissipate at all — that's what that means," Shanahan said.

Love it.

DenBronx
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
id be pissed too if someone owed me hundreds of thousands. hope shanny bitchh slaps him silly. :salute:

lex
09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Love it.

Same here. Guys like that reporter are what become the future Florios.

scott.475
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Couple months ago TD was telling a story about how they were doing warmups before a Faders game. Mike instructed several of them to go to a different part of the field and work on some passing. During the warmups old Al came out onto the field where they were practicing. Concerned for old Al's safety, TD asked Mike if they should move to a different spot, and make said no, just keep practicing like Al wasn't even there! So they went back to throwing the ball over and around him without a care. Love that story...

xzn
09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Couple months ago TD was telling a story about how they were doing warmups before a Faders game. Mike instructed several of them to go to a different part of the field and work on some passing. During the warmups old Al came out onto the field where they were practicing. Concerned for old Al's safety, TD asked Mike if they should move to a different spot, and make said no, just keep practicing like Al wasn't even there! So they went back to throwing the ball over and around him without a care. Love that story...

They should have cracked the greasy old codger upside of his brylecreemed dome with that rock!

BCJ
09-04-2008, 06:14 AM
lets get kiffin fired!!!....just for shits and giggles

Let us keep him there if possible. He tells the truth how bad the Faiders are this year. It isnt his fault Al gave him this crap on offense. I think Mike should be as upfront as disliking the Old Fart. We all feel the same way about Greasy Al and everyone knows it..... we just love to hear it.

BigDaddyBronco
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
There is nothing I enjoy more than Shanahan running up the score against the Raiders. That or using a punishing run attack to stick it in Al's face.

God, I can't wait until Monday night.

drewloc
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Despite the Faiders being lackluster recently, I still love this rivalry. It almost borderlines hate! I work with a Faiders fan, and I have to resist the urge to pester the guy every chance I get. :salute:

red98
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Despite the Faiders being lackluster recently, I still love this rivalry. It almost borderlines hate! I work with a Faiders fan, and I have to resist the urge to pester the guy every chance I get. :salute:

It's been said before but I'll say it again:

No matter what, We must always beat the raiders!!

CoachChaz
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I divorced my first wife 7 years ago and she still owes me $15,000. I've come to terms that I'll never see that money. If I still had a grudge over it, I'd consider myself immature and delusional and treating her badly would be a childish waste of time. That is all.

tubby
09-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I divorced my first wife 7 years ago and she still owes me $15,000. I've come to terms that I'll never see that money. If I still had a grudge over it, I'd consider myself immature and delusional and treating her badly would be a childish waste of time. That is all.

Right. But sending people pictures of your wang.......completely normal. :coffee:

frauschieze
09-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Right. But sending people pictures of your wang.......completely normal. :coffee:

Uh....Tubby? That's dangerous ground. :hi:

But it is nice to have the hatred still there....a little something to spice up Raiders week.

G_Money
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Rivalries need some hatred to really be rivalries. Watching the players all hug on the field because they used to play together, or go to college together, or they live next door to each other in Florida or whatever waters down the rivalries. College rivalries stay pretty pure. Pro rivalries in all sports aren't the same since widespread FA.

It's not the fault of the players, but it's nice that we KNOW that the players on both sides have been instructed that while every win counts the same in the standings, this one counts more to their continued employment.

Davis wants to beat Shanahan, and Shanny wants to humiliate Davis. That's the sort of heat I want in a rivalry game. I can get behind that.

There's no chance of us letting off the gas pedal in this game - not if the players want to stay out of Shanahan's doghouse. Should be a GREAT kickoff to the season.

~G

BigDaddyBronco
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I just lean back and think of things like the snowball game, Lincoln Kennedy fighting a fan in the stands, batteries flying out of the Black Hole...

Man, I still hate the Raiders even after they have been so bad over the last few years that pity is starting to enter my heart. So I just think of Al Davis or "Commitment to Excellence" and push that little bit of pity right on out. Broncos, please, beat them by 50.

MOtorboat
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Do you still see her twice a year?