PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harbaugh

RebelRocker
12-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I've seen that a lot of people want this guy to be our HC. I don't know a whole lot about him, so I haven't been on the bandwagon. Can anybody tell me why he's a qualified candidate?

Northman
12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
There's nothing really to say except he has done extremely well with the Stanford Cardinals. Maybe part of the hype is what his brother has done in Baltimore.

RebelRocker
12-16-2010, 09:51 PM
There's nothing really to say except he has done extremely well with the Stanford Cardinals. Maybe part of the hype is what his brother has done in Baltimore.

So it's basically the same thing with the Ryan brothers, except Rob is a defensive coordinator in the NFL. I guess one good thing about adding Harbaugh is that he could bring his DC from Stanford with him. He was the Ravens DC(Fangio) at one time, I believe.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
He was an assistant w/ the Raiders so he's also not completely green when it comes to NFL coaching. He's solid, sound, seemingly trustworthy and runs a hard nosed system. Some "college coaches" are just that and the recruting world works for them. Some just don't translate into the pros. Ya never know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet Harbaugh isn't one of those guys. He's a pro guy. Played QB in the pros and, as mentioned, was a pro assistant. Aside from Schottenheimer, he's my #1 choice.

Northman
12-16-2010, 09:53 PM
So it's basically the same thing with the Ryan brothers, except Rob is a defensive coordinator in the NFL. I guess one good thing about adding Harbaugh is that he could bring his DC from Stanford with him. He was the Ravens DC(Fangio) at one time, I believe.

Yea, people just have certain coaches they would like to see come in whether its Harbaugh, Gruden, Cowher, Ryan, or whatever.

Medford Bronco
12-16-2010, 09:55 PM

and he played in the NFL and was a decent QB with not a lot of God given talent.

Stanford was a mess before him so if given a GM then maybe he might be a good fit.

RebelRocker
12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
If this is the case, then here's what I think the staff should look like.

GM-Eric DeCosta. He works with Jim's brother and obviously had a hand in hiring him a few years back. I think that connection makes a lot of sense.

HC-Jim Harbaugh. I heard on the fan today that some teams are bad a "repeat play-calling" or something to the extent of that. They used Harbaugh as an example of a guy that will stick with his gameplan. Now I'm looking forward to watching some gamefilm of his team:D

OC-Marc Trestman. He was Oakland's OC for a couple of years when Harbaugh was with them. Not only that, but he was one of the guys that tutored Tebow last year before the draft. I think he's a slam dunk selection for an OC.

DC-Vic Fangio. Long time DC in this league and would probably follow Harbaugh to the NFL. Also, I doubt he'd ever be considered a HC candidate.

BroncoStud
12-17-2010, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't be upset if Jim was the next coach. Stanford is a very sound and well-prepared team, they beat teams with more atheltic ability every season and often. We could do a lot worse than Harbaugh.

RebelRocker
12-17-2010, 02:04 AM
The only thing that worries me about Harbaugh is that he'd trade Tebow without seeing what he could do and then fail to trade up to get Luck, if he comes out this year. I know Luck is a 'can't miss' prospect, but I think Tebow's going to be a special QB when it's all said and done. He just needs our support.:D

BroncoStud
12-17-2010, 02:13 AM
The only thing that worries me about Harbaugh is that he'd trade Tebow without seeing what he could do and then fail to trade up to get Luck, if he comes out this year. I know Luck is a 'can't miss' prospect, but I think Tebow's going to be a special QB when it's all said and done. He just needs our support.:D

Hell dude we might be drafting 3rd, maybe better. Luck may still be there.

It looks like the Panthers are going to have the first pick, hard to see them winning another game, at 1-15 they will have #1 overall. But they just drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round last season. Would they take Luck over all their other needs?

The Bengals might have 2 or 3 wins, if they beat the Browns then probably 3 wins. They have Palmer but it might be time to address the QBOTF... Who knows with them, they are usually horrible on draft day.

The Lions might end up with 4 wins. They have Matthew Stafford and Drew Stanton, so it's very unlikely they would take Luck.

Chances are Cinci would take Luck, but don't forget that Locker is coming out as well, and the ESPN scouts will be slobbering all over his knob during the draft. I much prefer Luck but the Bungles or Panthers may take Locker.

RebelRocker
12-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Hell dude we might be drafting 3rd, maybe better. Luck may still be there.

It looks like the Panthers are going to have the first pick, hard to see them winning another game, at 1-15 they will have #1 overall. But they just drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round last season. Would they take Luck over all their other needs?

The Bengals might have 2 or 3 wins, if they beat the Browns then probably 3 wins. They have Palmer but it might be time to address the QBOTF... Who knows with them, they are usually horrible on draft day.

The Lions might end up with 4 wins. They have Matthew Stafford and Drew Stanton, so it's very unlikely they would take Luck.

Chances are Cinci would take Luck, but don't forget that Locker is coming out as well, and the ESPN scouts will be slobbering all over his knob during the draft. I much prefer Luck but the Bungles or Panthers may take Locker.

Who knows, Luck may not even come out this year. His dad said in an interview a while back that he plans on staying in college for another year.

Talk about a buzzkill:listen:

Dzone
12-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Man, Jim Harbaugh would be great for the job.
There was a recent Sports Illustrated article about him and his brother.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Pretty impressive how he took a team that was 1-11 and made them 11-1. A change of culture. Just what we need here. Harbaugh seems too good to be true for this job. We could do worse than hiring Harbaugh, thats for sure. Save our Broncos!Hire Jim Harbaugh!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ann_killion/12/07/stanford/index.html

Hers the other article I was talking about. Good read.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1175724/index.htm

JDL
12-17-2010, 04:34 AM
I've seen that a lot of people want this guy to be our HC. I don't know a whole lot about him, so I haven't been on the bandwagon. Can anybody tell me why he's a qualified candidate?

Stanford

#1 in the nation in 3rd down %
#1 in the nation in Time of Possession
#1 in the nation in sacks allowed
#3 in the nation in turnover differential
#8 in the nation in scoring offense
#16 in the nation in red zone offense
#14 in the nation in fewest penalties per game (30th in yds.. big difference, not sure why)

Should give a pretty good idea of the type of team Harbaugh strives for and I am a big fan of it.

JDL
12-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Luck is rated so highly... nobody is passing on him, not Carolina, not Cinci... ok yes Detroit (but they just drafted their guy).... Kiper gave Luck an uber elite mark of 9.8, just shy of the 9.9 he gave Elway. He rarely gives higher than 9.5... not that he is always the best of opinions, but gives you an idea of what one recognizable draftnik thinks... Mayock and the rest are surely of the same opinion... Luck doesn't go with any other pick than #1.

SOCALORADO.
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM

GM-Eric DeCosta. He works with Jim's brother and obviously had a hand in hiring him a few years back. I think that connection makes a lot of sense.

HC-Jim Harbaugh. I heard on the fan today that some teams are bad a "repeat play-calling" or something to the extent of that. They used Harbaugh as an example of a guy that will stick with his gameplan. Now I'm looking forward to watching some gamefilm of his team:D

OC-Marc Trestman. He was Oakland's OC for a couple of years when Harbaugh was with them. Not only that, but he was one of the guys that tutored Tebow last year before the draft. I think he's a slam dunk selection for an OC.

DC-Vic Fangio. Long time DC in this league and would probably follow Harbaugh to the NFL. Also, I doubt he'd ever be considered a HC candidate.

This is one of your best posts.
I still have other HCs i would like to see in DEN, but if this scenario happened, it would be great.
Someone should send this to Bowlen or Elway.

RebelRocker
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
This is one of your best posts.
I still have other HCs i would like to see in DEN, but if this scenario happened, it would be great.
Someone should send this to Bowlen or Elway.

Thanks. Harbaugh's not my first choice either, but if we do get him, I hope that is the staff around him. It's very realistic considering the ties he has to all of those guys.

SOCALORADO.
12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks. Harbaugh's not my first choice either, but if we do get him, I hope that is the staff around him. It's very realistic considering the ties he has to all of those guys.

Its just a solid, young group all around, that already has the understanding of each other and the heirarchy that would go into place. I like that aspect of them all. Their previous ties and how they could come together in order to rebuild this shitstorm the right way.

DallasChief
12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Aside from Schottenheimer, he's my #1 choice.

:laugh:

BroncoStud
12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
People do know that Brian Schottenheimer is being booed at home games by J-E-T-S fans for the inept offense he is running, right?

Dzone
12-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Elways ties to Stanford could help us to land Harbaugh...He may be Elways pick for HC...All Jim Harbaugh does is win. He has been successful at every job hes had.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 11:50 AM
People do know that Brian Schottenheimer is being booed at home games by J-E-T-S fans for the inept offense he is running, right?
Wow, I didnt know that. I know Sanchez has been terrible...The Jets season seems to be going downhill

Lonestar
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Hmmm sounds like harbaugh won a lot of games with luck.

Reminds me of another QB hc combo.

Wonder if he can win with out him?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

robert ethan
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Harbaugh is another of these bland, insipid, Robert Redford Candidate(s). But not worse than Gruden. Or Elway for that matter. The best choice is gone, and he ain't coming back.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Harbaugh is another of these bland, insipid, Robert Redford Candidate(s). But not worse than Gruden. Or Elway for that matter. The best choice is gone, and he ain't coming back.

bob slowick?

DallasChief
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
bob slowick?

Wade Phillips

RebelRocker
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Its just a solid, young group all around, that already has the understanding of each other and the heirarchy that would go into place. I like that aspect of them all. Their previous ties and how they could come together in order to rebuild this shitstorm the right way.

The Denver Post is asking fans how they would fix the team and are asking people to submit their ideas. I think I'm going to do that with the guys I picked. :D

robert ethan
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
If Harbaugh is the guy it makes more sense of the way they handled McDaniels. Assuming Elway used his Stanford cred to talk to Harbaugh awhile back and made some informal arrangements. Once that was done and Bowlen/Ellis were on board, they couldn't keep Josh in case he won the last four games. That would make an off season firing very awkward, and also mean the Broncos would be picking later in the draft. By further disrupting the team at this point of the season they increase the likelyhood of being in a position to trade up for Luck.

It sucks all around, since I think Josh would be the better coach and Tebow the better QB, but maybe Bowlen wants to try for deja vu all over again. He is going daft by all accounts in any case.

SOCALORADO.
12-17-2010, 01:30 PM
The Denver Post is asking fans how they would fix the team and are asking people to submit their ideas. I think I'm going to do that with the guys I picked. :D

Someone may have already posted the link, but do it again.

arapaho2
12-17-2010, 01:40 PM

ohhh right...mike nolan...your right ..he's gone thanks to that asswad Mcdanials

BroncoStud
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM
If Harbaugh is the guy it makes more sense of the way they handled McDaniels. Assuming Elway used his Stanford cred to talk to Harbaugh awhile back and made some informal arrangements. Once that was done and Bowlen/Ellis were on board, they couldn't keep Josh in case he won the last four games. That would make an off season firing very awkward, and also mean the Broncos would be picking later in the draft. By further disrupting the team at this point of the season they increase the likelyhood of being in a position to trade up for Luck.

It sucks all around, since I think Josh would be the better coach and Tebow the better QB, but maybe Bowlen wants to try for deja vu all over again. He is going daft by all accounts in any case.

Harbaugh actually played QB in the NFL, I think he is fully capable of developing a young QB.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-17-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm actually talking about Marty.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 06:59 PM
...How many head coaching gigs did Marty have? Cleveland, KC and SD..IIRC...His teams stunk in the playoffs, but at least he got them there.
Lets talk Dick Vermeil out of retirment...He would love Tebow

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
My only concern with Harbaugh is that it would likely mean the return of the west coast offense to Denver. I'm not really a fan of that offense and our personnel is certainly not a great fit for it.

Then again, he played in a few different offenses in the pros, so maybe he could adapt some.

Medford Bronco
12-17-2010, 09:51 PM
bob slowick?

Slow Brain. :lol:

How about Mary Morninweg :elefant::lol:

Medford Bronco
12-17-2010, 09:51 PM
My only concern with Harbaugh is that it would likely mean the return of the west coast offense to Denver. I'm not really a fan of that offense and our personnel is certainly not a great fit for it.

Then again, he played in a few different offenses in the pros, so maybe he could adapt some.

I like the West Coast offene. That is when Denver was at its best.

We do need to turn over the talent to make it work though.

DenBronx
12-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Jim is the only college HC I would even want here in Denver.

Maybe we should also throw out some money for a proven DC too.

I Eat Staples
12-17-2010, 10:09 PM

You should consult a doctor about that split personality disorder. Sometimes you're Gronkowski, but lately you've been McD. :confused:

dogfish
12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
You should consult a doctor about that split personality disorder. Sometimes you're Gronkowski, but lately you've been McD. :confused:

okay, that was pretty funny-- i have noticed that gronk's not around much any more. . . which is ironic, because he's proven to be a much better value than mcdaniels. . .

I Eat Staples
12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
okay, that was pretty funny-- i have noticed that gronk's not around much any more. . . which is ironic, because he's proven to be a much better value than mcdaniels. . .

He jumped off his bandwagon right as he started showing some flashes of potential.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Decosta/Harbaugh
But why would decosta leave baltimore?

soonerjh
12-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Jim was known as "Captain Comeback" for a while in his playing days, for all his thrilling comebacks. Don't know if he has the smarts of his younger brother though, who is doing a nice job with Balt.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
...How many head coaching gigs did Marty have? Cleveland, KC and SD..IIRC...His teams stunk in the playoffs, but at least he got them there.
Lets talk Dick Vermeil out of retirment...He would love Tebow

Welll..The greatest QB of all time had sumthin to do w/ at least 4 of those playoff losses. Also, I hardly think that Byner fumbling and Elway driving =Marty choking, but whatever. He also lost in some AFCCGs, not always 1st round matchups. Dude has taken 3 CRAPPY teams to legitimacy and high expectations. Who hear wouldn't be happy w/ that right now?

dunk7
12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

I really like this list...although I still would like the idea of a defensive head coach. That being said would love the Harbaugh/Trestman combo. Trestman has been a head coach in the CFL in the past two years and they have won a back to back championship.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM

He's still around, but now he's on IR... :lol: