View Full Version : Paige: Hirings have to be rush jobs

TXBRONC
12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
You all might enjoy this article.

Paige: Hirings have to be rush jobs
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

At least 25 former NFL head coaches, current assistant coaches and one current NFL head coach and one current college coach will get a look.

Shall we start with the general manager, who will be selected by a search trio composed of Bowlen, COO Joe Ellis and probable team vice president John Elway? Bowlen again will make the final decision.

Among the serious possibilities, in no particular order, are Brian Xanders (general manager-in-name now), former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist (an executive with the Omaha UFL team), Ernie DeCosta (Ravens director of pro personnel), Rick Smith (Texans general manager), Randy Mueller (Chargers exec), Bill Parcells (late of the Dolphins), Charley Casserly (CBS analyst) and Tom Telesco (Colts director of player personnel).

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16870736

dogfish
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
sundquist, mueller, casserly and rick smith-- what a steaming pile of garbage. . . i hope to god that isn't actually their list. . . just say no to retreads pat! there's a reason no one else will hire any of those guys, please don't be the sucker that gets fooled. . .

i don't even want anyone from that shit list getting an interview besides decosta and telesco. . .

TXBRONC
12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
sundquist, mueller, casserly and rick smith-- what a steaming pile of garbage. . . i hope to god that isn't actually their list. . . just say no to retreads pat! there's a reason no one else will hire any of those guys, please don't be the sucker that gets fooled. . .

i don't even want anyone from that shit list getting an interview besides decosta and telesco. . .

You got have more than just DeCosta and Telesco on the list. Who else would you suggest?

dogfish
12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
You got have more than just DeCosta and Telesco on the list. Who else would you suggest?

reggie mckenzie from green bay, maybe vincent newsome from baltimore or ryan grigson from philly if you think they're ready. . . or maybe look at someone from tannebaum's jets staff or reese's giants staff if either has a senior assistant. . . i don't think chris polian will leave indy, but it'd be worth a call at least. . .

Northman
12-16-2010, 12:47 PM

My recollection may not be that great but i thought Casserly was a pretty good GM? Didnt he do some great things for the Skins a few years ago?

dogfish
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
My recollection may not be that great but i thought Casserly was a pretty good GM? Didnt he do some great things for the Skins a few years ago?

"who's been wrong more than charlie casserly? no one"

- bill bellyache

TXBRONC
12-16-2010, 12:55 PM

"who's been wrong more than charlie casserly? no one"

- bill bellyache

I thought at one time that Casserly might be a good choice but after watching NFLN's "Top 10 Worst Draft Day Trades" I was reminded that Dog is probably right. Casserly is one that engineered the trade that sent Ricky Williams to the New Orleans Saints. The Redskins got basically ALL of the Saints draft picks plus their 1st and 2nd from the very next draft and Skin none of picks they got from that draft became stars or at the very least solid starters.

WARHORSE
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
The Goodmans were doing well before they got canned.....................

tomjonesrocks
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Sundquist over the Goodmans? You got to be kidding.

Would like to start fresh personally--would be VERY disappointed if Sunquist were back...

Grover
12-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately, Pat Bowlen doesn't know shit about personnel decisions, or is listening to people who don't know shit about personnel decisions. I hope bringing in Elway will set this team in a positive direction again, and that he will be in Bowlen's ear more than Ellis will.

I have a bad feeling that we will not be hiring a GM. What will happen is that Elway will be made Vice President of Player Development, Xanders will remain our GM, and the brain trust at the Broncos will hire a head coach only. My guess at this point would be Fassel or Kubiak.

Then a combination of new head coach, Xanders and Elway will be running our draft and FA acquisitions.

dogfish
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Unfortunately, Pat Bowlen doesn't know shit about personnel decisions, or is listening to people who don't know shit about personnel decisions. I hope bringing in Elway will set this team in a positive direction again, and that he will be in Bowlen's ear more than Ellis will.

I have a bad feeling that we will not be hiring a GM. What will happen is that Elway will be made Vice President of Player Development, Xanders will remain our GM, and the brain trust at the Broncos will hire a head coach only. My guess at this point would be Fassel or Kubiak.

Then a combination of new head coach, Xanders and Elway will be running our draft and FA acquisitions.

terrifying vision of our future, but as much as i HATE to say it, i actually think it's quite possible. . .

Cugel
12-16-2010, 05:15 PM
This is really the question right now:

Broncos' GM search may mean empowering Xanders

The question is: Will Xanders remain in his recent role of GM who answers to a higher football executive, or will he become promoted to an empowered GM?

Given the Broncos are about to pick a GM with final-say authority on free agents, draft picks and roster decisions, plus a new head coach in three weeks, it's possible Xanders would have more input in the team's future direction than John Elway, the former superstar quarterback.

It's very difficult to hire a serious talent evaluator to be GM if that person is stuck answering to Brian Xanders and Joe Ellis AND John Elway. That's an impossible structure!

There's no problem promoting some senior scout to GM -- that's what the Broncos did with Jim Goodman. But, that person has to have the FINAL SAY on all draft decisions.

It can't be that the GM of player personnel reports to F****** Brian Xanders and HE makes the "final decision."

That would be WORSE than it was under Shanahan when Ted Sundquist was a nonentity and Shanny made all the decisions. At least Shanahan could draft OFFENSIVE talent even if he was utterly clueless about DEFENSE!

If THAT is the structure, then the new GM would be nothing more than a glorified SCOUT, WITHOUT any actual authority.

And they're NOT going to find a top rank talent to fill such a menial position! TOP GMs get PAID like TOP flight GMs.

The job's main focus is to talk to the scouts, break down film for 12 hours a day and become familiar with every college prospect, know the ins and outs of every player in the NFL who might become available and keep tabs on those you might like to pick up for your team, as well as monitor the situation with various FAs.

In short you need an EXPERT in player evaluation and NOT a FRIGGINNG glorified "cap-ologist" which is all Brian Xanders is!

He couldn't find talent if it was glued to his A@# ! :coffee:

Bowlen is in the process of utterly SCREWING UP AGAIN! And I think the senile dementia that has him in the clutches of Joe Ellis is going to doom the Broncos.

We are seriously at risk of becoming like the Raiders with Al Davis. Stuck with an owner who's a senile old fool but who grimly refuses to let go and grips the rock of power like a limpet! :coffee:

nevcraw
12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
I thought at one time that Casserly might be a good choice but after watching NFLN's "Top 10 Worst Draft Day Trades" I was reminded that Dog is probably right. Casserly is one that engineered the trade that sent Ricky Williams to the New Orleans Saints. The Redskins got basically ALL of the Saints draft picks plus their 1st and 2nd from the very next draft and Skin none of picks they got from that draft became stars or at the very least solid starters.

he also was the architect to the expansion Texans franchise.. no thanks.. a few solid picks mixed in with a whole lot of crapola..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Casserly#Houston_Texans

Houston Texans
After leaving the Redskins, Casserly took on the General Manager role for the expansion Houston Texans. With the franchise's first four selections in the 2002 NFL Draft, Casserly drafted David Carr, Jabar Gaffney, Chester Pitts, and Fred Weary.
During Casserly's remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis (KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006).
During Casserly's tenure as GM, the Texans went 4–12 in their inaugural season of 2002, then improved to 5–11 in 2003 and 7–9 in 2004 before slumping to a disappointing 2–14 record in 2005.
Casserly was criticized for a number of personnel moves, including trading second and third round picks to the Oakland Raiders for Phillip Buchanon in 2005.[6]

BroncoStud
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Jim Fassel would be horrible, truly horrible. I think it really does matter which coach we hire. If you go after a bigger name like Gruden or Cowher, he is going to want a preference on GM, that is just something you have to accept. The coach and GM MUST be on the same page, period.

Also, a big name coach like that will want say in personnel. Gruden or Cowher can't build a team into their mold if the GM picks and chooses who HE wants. It has to be a total front office effort.

Cugel
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Jim Fassel would be horrible, truly horrible. I think it really does matter which coach we hire. If you go after a bigger name like Gruden or Cowher, he is going to want a preference on GM, that is just something you have to accept. The coach and GM MUST be on the same page, period.

Also, a big name coach like that will want say in personnel. Gruden or Cowher can't build a team into their mold if the GM picks and chooses who HE wants. It has to be a total front office effort.

I don't expect Gruden or Cowher because either would want the final power over player personnel and the Broncos should ABSOLUTELY avoid that like the Bubonic Plague!

That's what led to the decline under Shanahan and the collapse under McDaniels. ONE man can't handle all that responsibility. It takes a tandem.

You get the GM to evaluate and draft the talent. He talks to the coach, but makes the final decisions about the draft and trades.

The coach concentrates on coaching the players. and getting the most out of them.

If the players have talent but the team doesn't do well you know to blame the coach. If the coach seems to be doing his job with inferior talent you know to blame the GM!

If Shanahan had been in that kind of system, he'd still be here and we sure as Hell wouldn't be facing 3-13!

Of course, he would NEVER have agreed to have all the player personnel decisions taken away from him which was WHY he needed to go!

I'd be amazed if either Gruden or Cowher ever coached in Denver. Bowlen is not going to want to pay another $7 million a year salary.

Lonestar
12-16-2010, 05:37 PM

\

I find this commentary funny. as ten+ years ago he was a genius. for proclaiming mikey HC for life.

Lancane
12-16-2010, 06:18 PM

I had to give credit where it was due, and it seems that you my friend have a rather adequate understanding of the situation.

However, what I see is going on is Pat Bowlen's power-play, Joe Ellis has begun to receive heat from both inside and outside of the organization. After all, he had a big part in the events that have brought us to this point. Even Pat's kids have chimed in according to rumors and told their father that he should fire him. Now it might not mean anything...but I thought it was rather funny that Xanders was in Dallas with both Ellis and Bowlen in what was considered a league orientated meeting regarding official matters. It could point to Xanders being a possible replacement to Ellis' current position. Then again, I don't feel that you're too off with your assessment of it all.

Bowlen probably wants Elway to become his right hand man in all things relating to the organization, according to most corporate infrastructures, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is above all others, including the position of a corporate president, both titles which Bowlen now holds. After those two positions, the (COO) Chief Operations Officer is usually third on the totem pole sort to speak, and Joe Ellis currently holds that position. So how does Bowlen empower Elway within the corporate infrastructure without shitting on someone else's given position? He could have named him Executive Vice President, but the position is filled by Rich Slivka. So a lot of this depends on Bowlen's own willingness to give up some power, and to better set the front office in a true corporate infrastructure, and I don't see that happening.

Ideally, Bowlen would be neither the president nor the chief executive officer, since he also holds the position of owner and chairman of the board of directors. Because the chief executive officer answers to the owner and to the board of directors...the way our executive offices are set up is hectic, and that could be part of the problem. Especially when Bowlen doesn't want to be as hands on as he had been in the past...then it makes even less sense. And if I was Bowlen, then that would be the first thing I fixed.

It should be more like -

Pat Bowlen - Owner & Chairman of the Board of Directors
John Elway - Chief Executive Officer
Rich Slivka - President & General Counsel
Joe Ellis - Executive Vice President & Advisor to the Board of Directors
Brian Xanders - Chief Executive Officer of Operations
Ted Sundquist - General Manager & Director of Football Operations
Keith Kidd - Assistant General Manager & Director of Player Personnel
Jim Fassel - Head Coach

That is what it should look like, even if some fans don't like some of those who hold certain positions.

nevcraw
12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I had to give credit where it was due, and it seems that you my friend have a rather adequate understanding of the situation.

However, what I see is going on is Pat Bowlen's power-play, Joe Ellis has begun to receive heat from both inside and outside of the organization. After all, he had a big part in the events that have brought us to this point. Even Pat's kids have chimed in according to rumors and told their father that he should fire him. Now it might not mean anything...but I thought it was rather funny that Xanders was in Dallas with both Ellis and Bowlen in what was considered a league orientated meeting regarding official matters. It could point to Xanders being a possible replacement to Ellis' current position. Then again, I don't feel that you're too off with your assessment of it all.

Bowlen probably wants Elway to become his right hand man in all things relating to the organization, according to most corporate infrastructures, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is above all others, including the position of a corporate president, both titles which Bowlen now holds. After those two positions, the (COO) Chief Operations Officer is usually third on the totem pole sort to speak, and Joe Ellis currently holds that position. So how does Bowlen empower Elway within the corporate infrastructure without shitting on someone else's given position? He could have named him Executive Vice President, but the position is filled by Rich Slivka. So a lot of this depends on Bowlen's own willingness to give up some power, and to better set the front office in a true corporate infrastructure, and I don't see that happening.

Ideally, Bowlen would be neither the president nor the chief executive officer, since he also holds the position of owner and chairman of the board of directors. Because the chief executive officer answers to the owner and to the board of directors...the way our executive offices are set up is hectic, and that could be part of the problem. Especially when Bowlen doesn't want to be as hands on as he had been in the past...then it makes even less sense. And if I was Bowlen, then that would be the first thing I fixed.

It should be more like -

Pat Bowlen - Owner & Chairman of the Board of Directors
John Elway - Chief Executive Officer
Rich Slivka - President & General Counsel
Joe Ellis - Executive Vice President & Advisor to the Board of Directors
Brian Xanders - Chief Executive Officer of Operations
Ted Sundquist - General Manager & Director of Football OperationsKeith Kidd - Assistant General Manager & Director of Player Personnel
Jim Fassel - Head Coach

That is what it should look like, even if some fans don't like some of those who hold certain positions.

Interesting viewpoint on all of this.. for sure..

But why O why do u have ted sunquist in any position of importance with this org.
he was part of tonr of the worst draft eras in franchises history.. you can blame some of it on shanny but he was not in charge of scouting..
and I really like Ted sunquist just don't want him bringing in anymore players for this team..

or was this a for example?

dogfish
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
cane, stop it!

do you really want to be responsible for my death?

Lancane
12-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Interesting viewpoint on all of this.. for sure..

But why O why do u have ted sunquist in any position of importance with this org.
he was part of tonr of the worst draft eras in franchises history.. you can blame some of it on shanny but he was not in charge of scouting..
and I really like Ted sunquist just don't want him bringing in anymore players for this team..

or was this a for example?

It was for an example Nev, I'm not a fortuneteller by any means. I was just trying to show how the corporate structure should be compared to how F'd up our current one is, I mean come on', Bowlen is the owner, chief executive officer, the president and the chairman of the board! And yet we wonder why he likes coaches that want to do it all? Eeeeek!

If you want my opinion on who should be the general manager, then that's a whole other story...but, I'd like to see what Dan Reeves could do with it, and I am serious. But I don't see it happening, so I look for Denver to bring in someone in some capacity that at least is charge of the G.M. position in some form, especially if we promote for the position from within.

Lancane
12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
cane, stop it!

do you really want to be responsible for my death?

:lol:

Sorry Dog, merely an example that's all!

I don't know who will be named to the position, I really don't and no clear favorite has arisen, Casserly is getting more and more mention by the media outlets...but I'm not sure I could see that happening, he sort of has a clashing attitude that may not sit well.

And if it was me, I'd name Brian Xanders Director of Football Operations, Dan Reeves as General Manager and then promote Keith Kidd to Assistant General Manager...but then again, I'm not in charge and my I.Q. doesn't seem low enough for the position - I mean - whoops!

;)

Grover
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
good discussions everyone.

Lonestar - I have a hunch based on what I'm seeing, that Mr. Bowlen has declined over the past ten years. I've always been proud of him as an Owner of my favorite team. But when he gave Gary Zimmerman's induction speech at the hall of fame, I started to get worried about his health and mental acumen. I'm sorry to say that he's not as sharp as in previous years.

Lancane - I absolutely agree that someone needs to take a good hard look at the management structure of the Broncos organization, and define what job titles will work, responsibilities of each, and the reporting structure. It does need to be more linear with a few more positions so that people with specialized skill sets can concentrate on what they do best.

I really don't like Jim Fassel as a head coach for the Broncos. I just threw out that name because I think it's more than a remote chance we'll go that direction. I'll send Dogfish some Xanax so he can chill.

dogfish
12-16-2010, 07:31 PM
i appreciate that, i could really use it about now. . .

Lancane
12-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Lancane - I absolutely agree that someone needs to take a good hard look at the management structure of the Broncos organization, and define what job titles will work, responsibilities of each, and the reporting structure. It does need to be more linear with a few more positions so that people with specialized skill sets can concentrate on what they do best.

I really don't like Jim Fassel as a head coach for the Broncos. I just threw out that name because I think it's more than a remote chance we'll go that direction. I'll send Dogfish some Xanax so he can chill.

The problem is that Bowlen in all likeliness will not restructure the front office in a way that makes it more functional and corporately sound. He's too friendly with those on the rungs below him and that is not typical of a Chief Executive Officer, CEO's are everyone's boss, they'll be friendly, but they're also the enemy because they make the final decisions for the board of directors or trustees. I'm not even sure I'd want Elway in such a position...and I'm surprise really that the Board of Directors hasn't demanded some sort of restructuring project for the infrastructure of the executives offices.

As far as Jim Fassel is concerned, the idea doesn't bother me...I like Fassel, he's a good coach, he's been a successful head coach both in the NFL and UFL, he's hails from the Tom Landry coaching tree, first under Dick Nolan at Stanford and then in Denver under Dan Reeves. He's one of the better choices in my honest opinion, especially when you hear names like Calhoun and Mularkey possibly being considered.