PDA

View Full Version : A look back JIM GOODMAN

Superchop 7
12-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Jim Goodman Talks About the Draft
by Jeremy Bolander on May 13, 2008 12:00 PM MDT in 2008 NFL Draft - Denver Broncos

6 comments Email Print
This is a transcript of Jim Goodman's conversation about the draft from this fanshot put up by JonT . I've taken some liberties with some paraphrasing here and there, but the heart of what he was talking about is there. I thought this would be useful for any members who aren't able to watch videos on their CPUs, or who haven't had time to watch the whole video (its over 40 minutes long.) Enjoy!

Jim Goodman

Director of Player Personnel

About getting ready for the draft:

The process takes 12 months, we start in May, when the National Scouting Service that we are a member of, gives us approximately 1000 names. We go over thsoe names and give grades to them and distribute the names to our seven area scouts, and all of those guys have to get scouted, and reports have to be written on every one of those guys, plus any guys that start to come out in their senior year. So you'll end up doing anywhere from 1200 to 1400 reports a year, in order to get your 9 guys.

From there we have the season, the bowl games and feature games, and then the combine, and then we have a series of meetings between the scouts, between the scouts and coaches, and we take about a month to get that list narrowed down to around 300 names, and we end up talking about those 300 very specifically.

The hardest thing about evaluating, period, is what is in a guy's heart. What makes him a player? What gives him the will to succeed? To see a guy's will to win and what he is willing to do to succeed, is the hardest thing for us to do.

On the hectic nature of draftday:

Actually, when the draft is going, it is real calm. We have a game plan, and we go through every conceivable scenario beforehand, we get an idea of where guys could possibly go. We will rank guys, so that we can say, "Ok, coach, if this ones gone and this ones gone, what is your game plan here?" We are doing constant drills like that all the time, so that we can have a gameplan to go to just like in a football game. But you always have to keep an eye on guys whose value is too high to bypass. For example, you may not need a RB, but if you look up and see a can't miss guy, well, you had better take him. But by the same token you have to know what your needs are, so you want the best choice for your need, but you need to ask yourself, "Is there a value here that is too good to pass up?" That happens every round. I remember a guy that really got my attention was Spencer Larsen, our 6th round choice out of Arizona, just a great kid, a guy that has his head on right, such a good player who plays with all his might, gives all he has every play. He's a guy we look at and say "HE is going to make it at his position," so I'm really excited about him.

On Ryan Clady:

Ryan is a great athlete. You don't see many 6'7" 300 lb tackles, that are that athletic and have that kind of foot quickness, that have that good of body quickness. People just aren't made like that. This guys has 37 inch arms, a great wingspan, a great range to kick step out of, to protect the backside of a QB, so he has probowl potential. He has the potential, and the game has only begun with him. He's got it all.

On Eddie Royal:

Eddie is a guy we looked at as a premier returner. He is as good as I have seen. he reminds me of Figures, of Devon Hester, but he is a good WR, don't let his return ability stop you from seeing that. He is great in the seam and does very well getting off press coverage and getting after the deep ball, so we think there is a lot of upside.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I found this interesting.......

atwater27
12-15-2010, 10:26 PM
i know we can't get Cutler back. I know we can't go back in time and get Shanahan back. Can't get Hillis, Marshall, Scheffler, Torain.... One thing I wish could happen more than anything with Denver, is that Bowlen called up the goodman bros and our whole scouting department from then and said "name a price, I want you back". Those guys were amazing. We could only hope to one day get a group with half the competence as those guys.

atwater27
12-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Front office

Firing history: Another underrated loss was when Shanahan fired general manager Ted Sundquist. Shanahan had more power than Sundquist and he got rid of him. It was a mistake. Sundquist was a good personnel man who was detailed-oriented and who built the bottom of Denver’s roster very well. The Broncos’ roster was always deep when Sundquist was around. The team has gotten thin since he left. After Sundquist -- who is still without a job and who would likely jump at the chance to return to the Broncos -- was fired, Shanahan promoted the father-son team of Jim and Jeff Goodman. When Shanahan was gassed, the Goodmans stayed and were part of the group that hired McDaniels. They were abruptly fired less than two months after McDaniels was hired. :tsk::mad::eek:This was a bad sign. McDaniels played a role in firing two people who were part of the decision-making team that just hired him. He had too much power for a 32-year-old first-time head coach.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/_/name/jim-goodman

BigDaddyBronco
12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Was Sundquist responsible for the 2003 draft? Whoever that was should never be a GM again, anywhere.

Lancane
12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
There have been a number of moments in Denver Broncos history that are regretful and of which a fair majority of the fandom wished never happened. I believe the firing of the Goodmans and the promotion of Xanders into the general manager position was one such event.

Superchop 7
12-16-2010, 12:14 AM
It was a HUGE mistake.

horsepig
12-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Front office

Firing history: Another underrated loss was when Shanahan fired general manager Ted Sundquist. Shanahan had more power than Sundquist and he got rid of him. It was a mistake. Sundquist was a good personnel man who was detailed-oriented and who built the bottom of Denver’s roster very well. The Broncos’ roster was always deep when Sundquist was around. The team has gotten thin since he left. After Sundquist -- who is still without a job and who would likely jump at the chance to return to the Broncos -- was fired, Shanahan promoted the father-son team of Jim and Jeff Goodman. When Shanahan was gassed, the Goodmans stayed and were part of the group that hired McDaniels. They were abruptly fired less than two months after McDaniels was hired. :tsk::mad::eek:This was a bad sign. McDaniels played a role in firing two people who were part of the decision-making team that just hired him. He had too much power for a 32-year-old first-time head coach.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/_/name/jim-goodman

Amen, brother.

horsepig
12-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Was Sundquist responsible for the 2003 draft? Whoever that was should never be a GM again, anywhere.

Do you remember a guy named Mike Shannahan?

Buff
12-16-2010, 01:07 AM

It's hard to lay any blame at Sundquist's feet as long as he was around, even if he deserves it, because you know he got overruled by Shanny the entire time.

Like, I look at the Jarvis Moss pick and I say "the guys responsible for that shouldn't ever work in NFL scouting again." And Sundquist ought to share in some of that blame. But, then I hear Sundquist talk and he sounds competent and remorseful for some of the moves he made (like getting rid of Bertrand Berry and Trevor Pryce).