PDA

View Full Version : would you want shanahan back in denver ?

T.K.O.
12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
seriously,if shanny gets the axe in washington ,who among you would be interested in his returning to denver?
pat has to pay him 3.5 mil anyway next year.....
we have a young QB who could be a playmaker with a powerfull "will to win"
shanny has a 35,000 sq ft house just up the road a piece.
shanny admitted he was burned out and needed to recharge his batteries.
he did and who knows maybe he learned a thing or 2 about keeping his nose out of the defense?
if we had a true DC that had the power to run things his way and shanny callin' the shots on offense......
IT............ COULD........... WORK !

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/rbruens/young-frankenstein.jpg

Cugel
12-15-2010, 08:49 PM
No. Next thread. :coffee:

Magnificent Seven
12-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Offensive Coordinator would be perfect fit for him.

Grover
12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
In my experience, going back to a place you got fired from and working there again, doesn't work so well.

I liked Shanahan's offensive playcalling and aggressiveness. I didn't like his defenses at all.

broncofaninfla
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Hell yes I would take Shanahan back BUT only as a coach not as a GM.

Northman
12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I enjoyed what he did while here but the team needs a new direction. Only, one that actually works and doesnt rip the team apart.

The Glue Factory
12-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I enjoyed what he did while here but the team needs a new direction. Only, one that actually works and doesnt rip the team apart.

And hopefully builds a defense that isn't porous or limp.

EMB6903
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Snyder is not going to fire Shanahan for the mistakes that were made when he wasnt in control... I dont think people realize how much of a mess that franchise was in before Allen and Shanahan took over.

BeefStew25
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I once got back with my college girlfriend thinking I loved her. Well, I didn't love her. I loved her naked body and humping her various holes. She was a mess.

Shanny, I used to love humping you, but the spark isn't there my friend. One day I will eat at your restaurant. But that is it.

BigDaddyBronco
12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
I might think of having Shanny back, but it would require him to give Slowick a beat down. If that happened, I would think about it.

BeefStew25
12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I might think of having Shanny back, but it would require him to give Slowick a beat down. If that happened, I would think about it.

http://movieimage1.tripod.com/pulpfiction/pulp15.jpg

dogfish
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
not only no but **** NO!

a thousand times. . . you've seen the man's idea of defense, right? look at how quickly that redskins defense has fallen apart in just one year on his watch. . . you know he STILL has bob slowick on his staff, right? i freakin' shudder to think. . . i'd honestly much rather have kubiak-- at least he's tried to put together a legit defense. . .

spikerman
12-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Hell yes I would take Shanahan back BUT only as a coach not as a GM.

This.

Benetto
12-16-2010, 12:08 AM
We were contenders for the years he was here... Sure he loved to gamble, and put his faith into Jake Plummer...but, I'd have him, and Cutler back 100 times out of 100 if the opportunity arose....You don't try to fix something that isn't broken...Or try to replace a old reliable toy you're bored of, with a cheap imitation that will break in less than a year.

Superchop 7
12-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Just think if he had hired Mike Nolan as DC.

That was the last piece of the puzzle.

sneakers
12-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Sure, why not.

jhildebrand
12-16-2010, 12:37 AM
That ship has sailed. I just don't think Shanahan has adjusted his system enough to outmatch today's nfl. The times have changed. I like the idea that we will see a whole new chapter of Broncos football.

Lonestar
12-16-2010, 03:51 AM
not only no but hell no.

Unless he has zero to do with the draft or personnel and is ONLY the OC with no potential to be promoted here again.

Dean
12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
That ship has sailed. I just don't think Shanahan has adjusted his system enough to outmatch today's nfl. The times have changed. I like the idea that we will see a whole new chapter of Broncos football.

Yeah...we certainly are seeing that this year.:pout: :doh:

nevcraw
12-16-2010, 08:40 PM

this will be self induced if i have to watch Orton play this weekend.

BeefStew25
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
this will be self induced if i have to watch Orton play this weekend.

Maybe you and I can watch the game together. PM me your address.

nevcraw
12-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Maybe you and I can watch the game together. PM me your address.

with that thought i now find myself simultaneously horrified and petrified.

nevcraw
12-16-2010, 09:49 PM

Don't tase me bro

CrazyHorse
12-16-2010, 10:57 PM
With a real GM and DC, absolutely.
I'm not so sure he'd take the job though.

NickelTG
12-17-2010, 12:41 AM
He'd never accept his proper role (OC) within the broncos system,and understandably so. With that being said i'd go with new direction.

Joel
12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
In my experience, going back to a place you got fired from and working there again, doesn't work so well.

I liked Shanahan's offensive playcalling and aggressiveness. I didn't like his defenses at all.
It was hard for me to admit it, but deep down this was the way I felt. Shanny's an offensive genius but seems clueless when it comes to D, which is his problem in DC despite having McNabb, Portis and Torain. We appear to need a lot more work on D than on offense, and Shanny's not the guy for that, much as I love him and his offensive thinking. My one concern about a possible Kubiak hire is that he really does seem like Shanny Jr. a lot of the time. When you look at the sheer quantity of talent the Texans have on D it's hard to understand why they're so bad at it, but that's probably the reason, IMHO.

Note: All of the above applies in reverse to stellar DEFENSIVE coaches who know nothing about OFFENSE, particularly if they've already been fired once as Broncos head coach. Obviously I don't think any fired head coach is likely to return as a coordinator to the team that fired him. ;)

Joel
12-17-2010, 03:02 AM
with that thought i now find myself simultaneously horrified and petrified.
In other words, Beef made you stiff...? :eek:

JDL
12-17-2010, 05:03 AM
He lost his way... stopped being true to his own cutting edge game calling and got a little full of himself unfortunately... once he is humbled ... he will be an AWESOME coach again... for now, he's just very good, but not a good fit here.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 11:17 AM
it's being reported that mike's going to start sexy rexy grossman over mcnabb this weekend. . . looks to me like the wheels are coming off in washington. . .

Ravage!!!
12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm a HUGE Shanahan guy and believe him to be one of the absolute VERY best coaches in the NFL. But I wouldn't want him back, not after we've absolutely dismantled this team. It takes TIME to build a team up, to draft the right guys, to get the right vets. Shanahan built an offense that was ready to be placed in the top of the NFL......and now its COMPLETELY gone.

Shanahan has done a GREAT job in Washington, and has shown that the man is one HELL of a coach (again). But lets not go back and try to "redo" things. That just doesn't work.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Shanahan has done a GREAT job in Washington, and has shown that the man is one HELL of a coach (again).

they're 27th in points scored and 22nd in points allowed, three games below .500 and one game out of last place in their division-- which would probably be all theirs if dallas hadn't tanked this year. . . their defense has regressed, and they just benched their starting QB for rex grossman. . .

what about that translates to a "great" job so far?

:noidea:

LordTrychon
12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
they're 27th in points scored and 22nd in points allowed, three games below .500 and one game out of last place in their division-- which would probably be all theirs if dallas hadn't tanked this year. . . their defense has regressed, and they just benched their starting QB for rex grossman. . .

An increase in wins in the first year, with games left to play? :noidea:

Dreadnought
12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
it's being reported that mike's going to start sexy rexy grossman over mcnabb this weekend. . . looks to me like the wheels are coming off in washington. . .

Its a two pronged problem. Grossman sucks, but then so does McNabb - so where do you go from there? McNabb was a one point an above average QB (Sorry, King87, that's all he ever amounted too), but those days are gone. Since he never did have the pinpoint accuracy to compensate for his age and declining athletic skills he is I think effectively done.

None of that says Rex Grossman isn't a chump, btw. I just think Shanny has boxed himself in by a bad off season acquisition.

EMB6903
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Shanny wants Cam, Locker, or Mallett.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2010, 01:07 PM

More stats. I'm watchign them play. Not only are they playing better, they are actually competitive with EVERYONE in their division (all I've heard is how Shanahan wouldn't be able to compete in that division) and has increased their wins after coming in and having to redo everything that last horrible coach did.

Been there a single season, has already increased their play and their wins, and keeping them IN every game, and doing it with a MESS that he was left with. Unlike how he left things here. Thats why I don't look at the stats alone when it comes to "points for and points against"... doesn't really mean much.

Thats how.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Shanny wants Cam, Locker, or Mallett.

Absolutely he does. Not many franchises wouldn't.

slim
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
No.

dogfish
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
More stats. I'm watchign them play. Not only are they playing better, they are actually competitive with EVERYONE in their division (all I've heard is how Shanahan wouldn't be able to compete in that division) and has increased their wins after coming in and having to redo everything that last horrible coach did.

Been there a single season, has already increased their play and their wins, and keeping them IN every game, and doing it with a MESS that he was left with. Unlike how he left things here. Thats why I don't look at the stats alone when it comes to "points for and points against"... doesn't really mean much.

Thats how.

okay. . . let me know when he gets some tangible results, like winning more than four or five games in a season. . . .

:D

Lonestar
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
okay. . . let me know when he gets some tangible results, like winning more than four or five games in a season. . . .

:D

Which team will that be with?:laugh::laugh:

CrazyHorse
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
GM: Jim Goodman
HC: Mike Shanahan
OC: Gary Kubiak
DC: Wade Phillips

rcsodak
12-17-2010, 06:42 PM
No. Next thread. :coffee:

wow....there are more shanny-nut-suckers on here than I thought. :lol:

spikerman
12-17-2010, 06:44 PM
wow....there are more shanny-nut-suckers on here than I thought. :lol:

We may need him to get the stink of the last guy off the team.

rcsodak
12-17-2010, 06:49 PM
We may need him to get the stink of the last guy off the team.

Yea, cuz he's doing such a MAHVELOUS job in DC. :D

spikerman
12-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Yea, cuz he's doing such a MAHVELOUS job in DC. :D

Well he's got more wins while playing in a much tougher division. He's having trouble there, but nothing that compares with what the wonder kid just did here.

Dzone
12-17-2010, 07:06 PM
It aint gonna happen. You dont go back to the team that fired you. Has that ever been done before? I dont think so.

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
No.

I will always be grateful to him for what he did in Denver, but it's really looking like the game has just passed him by. We need to keep Denver heading in a new direction.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Well he's got more wins while playing in a much tougher division. He's having trouble there, but nothing that compares with what the wonder kid just did here.

In the short time that McDaniels was here accomplished having four losing streaks of 3 games or more since the half way point of last season. One home win against division rivals in two years that's priceless.

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
No.

I will always be grateful to him for what he did in Denver, but it's really looking like the game has just passed him by. We need to keep Denver heading in a new direction.

I really don't want to continue going the direction that McDaniels had us going in.

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I really don't want to continue going the direction that McDaniels had us going in.

Who said anything about that?

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM

You did friend.

spikerman
12-17-2010, 07:17 PM

No more of the "Patriots' way". It doesn't work without Billy B.

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
You did friend.

I did? Where?

TXBRONC
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I did? Where?

No.

The implication is that you like the direction that are headed in.

Bosco
12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
The implication is that you like the direction that are headed in.

Then you're reading of the implication is completely wrong. McDaniels' methods aren't the only "new direction" in the NFL.

BCJ
12-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Right now there are 26 people that didnt learn anything from his ending here of mediocracy. I guess when you are 3-10, 8-8 looks like a complete winner to some. Not me! He screwed up some draft picks, brought in rejects like Boss Bailey and screwed up our defense. If he wants to come on as an offensive coordinator (and I know he wouldnt), then sign him up.

Joel
12-18-2010, 08:07 AM
GM: Jim Goodman
HC: Mike Shanahan
OC: Gary Kubiak
DC: Wade Phillips
I like it, but it would be better if you swapped Dan Reeves for Shanny and Shanny for Kubiak, since Kubiak left for a promotion rather than being fired. :tongue: Otherwise, change what Dzone said to "you don't go back AND TAKE A DEMOTION from a team that fired you" and I agree 100%. Shanny didn't leave on the best of terms and I don't ever expect him back, but he got a ticker tape parade compared to what Phillips got.

spikerman
12-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Right now there are 26 people that didnt learn anything from his ending here of mediocracy. I guess when you are 3-10, 8-8 looks like a complete winner to some. Not me! He screwed up some draft picks, brought in rejects like Boss Bailey and screwed up our defense. If he wants to come on as an offensive coordinator (and I know he wouldnt), then sign him up.

I learned he was a hell of a lot better coach than the last guy that was here. True, he needs to be hands off with the defense and personnel, but he is a HoF coach and frankly, I didn't like it when he got fired in the first place..

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Seems if you don't vote the way some want, you "didn't learn." I know I still have learned that Shanahan could coach us to winning seasons, despite having bad drafts. I learned that we could actually have a top running game when moving down through 6 RBs on IR.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Thats not really true, with ANY system. As we've learned over the months, McD's system isn't different than what they have been using since the 60s. No offensive system is new,or different, or unique, or game changing (although mcdaniels actually believed his was). Its all implementation.

The game has NOT passed Shanahan by. The NFL hasn't passed "any" coach by. The only major change that happened in the last 20 years that changed football was free-agency.

Now.. that being said. I wouldn't want Mike back despite knowing his a great coach, because I don't believe in re-hashing with anyone. Just as I don't want Kubiak back.

Joel
12-19-2010, 08:45 AM
The problem isn't the system, it's Shanny ineptitude with D, but I think he's been made painfully aware of his limitations there. His problem in DC is that he doesn't have a line to protect McNabb and Haynesworth is pouting on the sidelines when he's not drawing fines (the absence of a secondary isn't exactly a blessing, but after dealing with Manning for a decade that's a flaw even Shanny can't miss).

BCJ
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Seems if you don't vote the way some want, you "didn't learn." I know I still have learned that Shanahan could coach us to winning seasons, despite having bad drafts. I learned that we could actually have a top running game when moving down through 6 RBs on IR.

You mean those three seasons of 8-8 under Shanahan. Same coach that told us that we were one or two players away from getting to the playoffs/superbowl, that Shanahan? While he gave us draft picks that could run behind our line, he also gave us Slowick, bad defenses and some questionable picks. While I liked him, I learned that he screwed us royally. He did do amazing things to get to 8-8 when he ruined our chances of getting to the playoffs like choking in Decembers.