PDA

View Full Version : Tony Scheffler

Cutler6MVP
09-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Whats going on with this guy? I live in Chicago so its hard to come by Broncos preseason games since they don't come with Directv's NFL ticket, but whats going on with him, I've barely seen him name in the box scores and when I do its not the numbers I'm used to seeing him put up. I thought this guy had the potential to be one of the premiere pass catching TE's in the league.

Also, is he even starting anymore?

Tned
09-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Whats going on with this guy? I live in Chicago so its hard to come by Broncos preseason games since they don't come with Directv's NFL ticket, but whats going on with him, I've barely seen him name in the box scores and when I do its not the numbers I'm used to seeing him put up. I thought this guy had the potential to be one of the premiere pass catching TE's in the league.

Also, is he even starting anymore?

He never really won the starting job, as Daniel Graham has been the starter since brought in.

During camp, he had a foot injury for a while, and Nate Jackson had a good camp and pre-season.

On last week's depth chart he had fallen to 3rd on the depth chart with Jackson second. Monday's depth chart he was back to second.

Personally, I think Graham will remain the starter (at least to begin the season), with Tony coming in on two TE sets and the 'pass catching' TE and sometimes in single TE sets. What could really hurt him, if he doesn't come on quickly, then he risks being lost in an offense that will likely have two to three WRs and two WRs and a FB in quite often. I could be wrong, but I don't see this team going with two TE sets as much as in the past few years.

MOtorboat
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
He'll start all season. He is still recovering from the foot injury in OTAs...Shanahan just wanted to make sure he is going to be healthy so we can unleash him on the Raiders. He's going to line up in the slot a lot in week 1 with Marshall gone. Mark it.

ApaOps5
09-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Graham will be the de facto starter. He will always hold that role until either Scheffler or Jackson develop the same blocking ability. Graham will be Clady and Harris' training wheels if you will. But at this point I don't know how much he will have to support them they are coming on strong. Scheffler will get plenty of plays as will Jackson so not to worry. Scheffler by far is the best Catching TE because of his ability. But don't count Jackson out either he has great hands. Problem is both those guys can get an injury from kleenex.

Bronco9798
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
There really are no starting TE's in this system. One may play more than the other, but to start as a TE in this system doesn't really mean a whole lot. If Jackson stays healthy, he'll see more time than Scheff though. Nate can run routes and has great hands. They both need to stay healthy though cause Graham is more of a blocker.

Dreadnought
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
A 2 TE, 2 WR set with Scheff and Jackson has some fascinating potential. Arguablly it can function as almost a 4 WR set, or as a running formation, all depending on how the D tries to match up with their own personnel.

BeefStew25
09-03-2008, 08:42 AM
They just need time to gell.

Kaylore
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Scheffler is listed as the second TE on the "My name's Mike Shanahan and I'm going to fake you out" opening season depth chart. :D

frauschieze
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
They just need time to gell.

:throwrock: I hate that word after last year.

ApaOps5
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Scheffler is listed as the second TE on the "My name's Mike Shanahan and I'm going to fake you out" opening season depth chart. :D

I have no clue who got faked out.

WARHORSE
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I dont know about faking people out, but I do think Scheffler is going to put a spanking on Jokeland. We all know how dominant he was in training camp, and that doesnt earn you a view from the sidelines. I think he has been purposely held back per se. I watched him on blocking plays for him during the preseason, and I liked what I saw.

Scheff isnt the starter, Graham is. But Scheff will be the star at the TE position for us.

Mike
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I dont know about faking people out, but I do think Scheffler is going to put a spanking on Jokeland. We all know how dominant he was in training camp, and that doesnt earn you a view from the sidelines. I think he has been purposely held back per se. I watched him on blocking plays for him during the preseason, and I liked what I saw.

Scheff isnt the starter, Graham is. But Scheff will be the star at the TE position for us.

Couldn't agree more.

As far as Monday, with Marshall out this game, Scheff will be Cutler's go-to-guy. Look for Shanahan to gameplan a mismatch for Scheff.

pnbronco
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM

I agree with War and Mike, Scheff is Cutlers go to guy after Marshall. I think he was held out to give Nate much needed reps and rest his foot, but when push comes to shove Scheff will be in the middle of it all. Plus he is getting better at blocking.

Cutler6MVP
09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
According to Rotoworld....

Tony Scheffler is no longer listed behind Nate Jackson on the Broncos depth chart.
Denver Post beat writer Mike Klis believes Scheffler is being held back early in the season because of his ongoing indifference to blocking. We think the hand-wringing is a bit much for a player who produced like a borderline TE1 down the stretch last season.

tubby
09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I have him on my FF team so I'm pretty sure he's good for 700 yards and 10 TD's. :coffee:

topscribe
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
He never really won the starting job, as Daniel Graham has been the starter since brought in.

During camp, he had a foot injury for a while, and Nate Jackson had a good camp and pre-season.

On last week's depth chart he had fallen to 3rd on the depth chart with Jackson second. Monday's depth chart he was back to second.

Personally, I think Graham will remain the starter (at least to begin the season), with Tony coming in on two TE sets and the 'pass catching' TE and sometimes in single TE sets. What could really hurt him, if he doesn't come on quickly, then he risks being lost in an offense that will likely have two to three WRs and two WRs and a FB in quite often. I could be wrong, but I don't see this team going with two TE sets as much as in the past few years.

It would seem that Shanny's bone with Scheffler is that Scheffler needs to
improve his blocking. Even the great Shannon Sharpe was called out for that
discrepency by both Shanny and Elway. When one can see that this team
likes blockers among WRs and RBs, how much more do they want to see it
at a position where the players are supposed to block?

Nate Jackson made it clear some time ago that he was taking blocking
seriously and working hard at it. Apparently, it has paid off in that he has
often preempted the more talented Scheffler to third string.

-----

SarahKay
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
He's back up to #2... and that makes me wet in the pants. :salute::lol:

Bronco4ever
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM

:jaw:

Benetto
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Clean-up isle 2!

SarahKay
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Hahaha

atwater27
09-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Tony Scheffler on NFL Network. Cool video..
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80abc975