PDA

View Full Version : The real question that needs to be asked around here

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I know everybody is trying to guess as to who will be the HC and who will be on the staff going into next year, but let's face it, we're better off counting the number of hairs on our arm than speculate that so and so a is "legitimate candidate".

The real question that needs to be asked is.... Who's going to RUN this team? Who's going to come in here as a GM? We can guess all we want, but the fact of the matter is, we won't know what direction this team will be heading until we hire a GM. Once the GM is in place, THEN we can speculate who may be the HC based on who has previously worked with the new GM and what their qualifications may be.

In my opinion, this much is clear.

We have two options to choose from when we pick the new regime.

1. Many think we'll go back to the "Bronco way" and bring back former coordinators, assistants, etc.

If that's the case, then I expect us to give Sundquist serious consideration.

2. We go for an EXPERIENCED, defensive minded regime with somebody that has worked for a smashmouth, hard nosed organization. If that's the case, I suspect that Eric DeCosta and Marc Ross to get serious consideration.

Either way, I don't see us going for a "hot shot offensive guru" or "the elite head coach" to get the job here.

Staff speculations are welcome because it is fun to see what everyone's opinons are, but let's try focus this thread on guys that we should be seriously looking at right now, which are the GM prospects.

Discuss.

Buff
12-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I have 476 hairs on my arm.

Seriously, as I said in another thread, it's always kind of ridiculous to see fans speculate about GM because it always boils down to the 4-5 known candidates. Parcells, Schottenheimer, Pioli before he was in KC, Holmgren, Sundquist, etc.

About the only up-and-comer who seems to be on the list is Eric DeCosta out of Baltimore. But who knows if we have any interest in him.

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Seriously, as I said in another thread, it's always kind of ridiculous to see fans speculate about GM because it always boils down to the 4-5 known candidates. Parcells, Schottenheimer, Pioli before he was in KC, Holmgren, Sundquist, etc.

About the only up-and-comer who seems to be on the list is Eric DeCosta out of Baltimore. But who knows if we have any interest in him.

I don't see Parcells or Schottenheimer coming here. I'm talking about more realistic options.

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I will hope that outside of John E we get no former coaches or assistants back into Bronco land.

Way to many of them have been contaminated by mediocrity.

I want no part of the ZBS, WCO, run first mentality, bend but do not break, LB are us defense.

I want to see smash mouth 3-4 Defense that the DL holds the LOS and teh LB s blitz and stop teh run.

Would love to see an occasional DL sack harassment or even pick 6. Would love to see the QB putting it up for grabs by the DB's abd do not come into the middle of the field hitting like Atwater, Smith, Lynch and Dawkins came to play with.

On offense I want to see lots of controlled passing game throwing to open WR Te and RB's and let them make the play. Run ONLY as much as it takes to keep teh D hionest or run out the clock when we are up by 21.

Special teams that score every other game. and do not get past the 30. EVER.

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see Parcells or Schottenheimer coming here. I'm talking about more realistic options.

Schonettehiemer please God NO, don;'t want no stinking marty ball.

broncophan
12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Well......the Ravens.....Pats......Steelers....Colts......Giants ....and Chargers.....are usually consistantly strong and competative these days........maybe the broncos should take a look at those teams and see who they could get from their staff.

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Well......the Ravens.....Pats......Steelers....Colts......Giants ....and Chargers.....are usually consistantly strong and competative these days........maybe the broncos should take a look at those teams and see who they could get from their staff.

Eric DeCosta is Ozzie Newsome's right hand man in Baltimore.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Look for someone familiar to the organization -

Beake, Reeves, Sundquist, Kidd or maybe Smith if we can get him away from Houston.

As far as head coaches go, right now it looks like the name most mentioned is Jim Fassel, he's even gained steam on Gary Kubiak in some circles.

atwater27
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
I will hope that outside of John E we get no former coaches or assistants back into Bronco land.

Way to many of them have been contaminated by mediocrity.

I want no part of the ZBS, WCO, run first mentality, bend but do not break, LB are us defense.

I want to see smash mouth 3-4 Defense that the DL holds the LOS and teh LB s blitz and stop teh run.

Would love to see an occasional DL sack harassment or even pick 6. Would love to see the QB putting it up for grabs by the DB's abd do not come into the middle of the field hitting like Atwater, Smith, Lynch and Dawkins came to play with.

On offense I want to see lots of controlled passing game throwing to open WR Te and RB's and let them make the play. Run ONLY as much as it takes to keep teh D hionest or run out the clock when we are up by 21.

Special teams that score every other game. and do not get past the 30. EVER.

Your smashmouth defense does not jive with your pass happy offense. Why are you so against the run?

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Look for someone familiar to the organization -

Beake, Reeves, Sundquist, Kidd or maybe Smith if we can get him away from Houston.

As far as head coaches go, right now it looks like the name most mentioned is Jim Fassel, he's even gained steam on Gary Kubiak in some circles.

I'd be content with a Sundquist/Fassel pairing. I don't understand why so many fans were pessimistic towards Sundquist. He was the guy that basically got us Champ and drafted a lot of our starters over the last few years. Look at how many times he hit in the 2006 draft. He got six NFL starters in that draft(If you include Domenik Hixon in NY, for a while). I don't think Kubiak will leave Houston. He'll get ONE more year to fix that defense.

Buff
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I'd be content with a Sundquist/Fassel pairing. I don't understand why so many fans were pessimistic towards Sundquist. He was the guy that basically got us Champ and drafted a lot of our starters over the last few years. Look at how many times he hit in the 2006 draft. He got six NFL starters in that draft(If you include Domenik Hixon in NY, for a while). I don't think Kubiak will leave Houston. He'll get ONE more year to fix that defense.

I wouldn't mind a return to Sundquist... Fassel doesn't do much for me, but Ted did a good job and probably got fired because he actually had the balls to disagree with Shanahan.

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind a return to Sundquist... Fassel doesn't do much for me, but Ted did a good job and probably got fired because he actually had the balls to disagree with Shanahan.

Stephan Fatsis' book, "A Few Seconds of Panic" details that Bowlen seemed even apologetic firing Sundquist, telling him that he had to back up Shanahan's decision, but that he didn't feel it was right. I.E. he either had to fire Shanny or Sundquist, and at that point he wasn't ready to fire Shanny.

Buff
12-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Stephan Fatsis' book, "A Few Seconds of Panic" details that Bowlen seemed even apologetic firing Sundquist, telling him that he had to back up Shanahan's decision, but that he didn't feel it was right. I.E. he either had to fire Shanny or Sundquist, and at that point he wasn't ready to fire Shanny.

I hadn't heard Bowlen's perspective - I need to read that book.

But Sundquist basically echoed that on an interview he did on The Fan last year... He was saying that Pat doesn't like conflict, implying that there was tension between him and Shanahan, and that Mike won out in that particular conflict.

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 11:36 PM

But Sundquist basically echoed that on an interview he did on The Fan last year... He was saying that Pat doesn't like conflict, implying that there was tension between him and Shanahan, and that Mike won out in that particular conflict.

That's too bad. Shanny was his own worst enemy.

Well, look at the bright side. We won't have to fight to get Sundquist back. He's working in the FO for Omaha in the UFL:salute:

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2010, 11:50 PM

The book details Sundquist's view of Bowlen's feelings, nothing direct from Bowlen. Plus it's been two years or so since I read it, but that's the gist of what Fatsis reported on the Sundquist firing.

Lancane
12-15-2010, 01:16 AM

What people don't realize is that Fassel was blamed for Billick's ineptitude in Baltimore from 2004 through 2006, the offense didn't change, it was still the offense that Baltimore had previously when it went to the Super Bowl. Fassel had to use Kyle 'I'm Billick's Ho' Boller, the offensive line was inconsistent due to several injuries and the team had a shit tight end and even worse receivers. What did Fassel have to work with? Jamaal Lewis and Chester Taylor, that is it. It was also one of the worst two drafts that I could remember the Ravens having as well, and he couldn't blame Fassel for that. Billick was finally fired a year later...

Fassel's record speaks for itself, for a first time head coach...he was above .500 and let's not forget that he was the coach Elway had credited with his development as a quarterback at both Stanford and in Denver.

I'd be fine with any of those General Managers I mentioned and Jim Fassel, he may not be first on my list...but I'd be more then happy with him at the helm.

dogfish
12-15-2010, 01:54 AM

throw in tom telesco from indy (that's assuming chris polian won't leave), reggie mckenzie from green bay, and possibly vincent newsome from baltimore if we can't get decosta. . .

dogfish
12-15-2010, 01:57 AM

sundquist didn't hit any times in the '06 draft, he was fired by then-- that was jim goodman, not simple ted. . . that guy was a wretched GM by all acounts, although shanahan might need to take a lot of the blame. . . our roster was brutally mis-managed, in any case. . . horrible drafting, and lots of expensive free agent busts. . .

sundquist has about as much business being in charge of a roster as priests have being in charge of little boys. . . he shouldn't be any more welcome here than bob slowick. . . i WILL stab kittens and burn ducklings if sundquist is allowed within five miles of doves cry valley ever again. . .

UrbanBounca
12-15-2010, 02:42 AM
As they've always said, "Offense will get you to the big game, but defense wins it."
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM

i hope they bring Jim goodman back...dont really want sundquist here at all......

Lancane
12-15-2010, 04:28 AM
i hope they bring Jim goodman back...dont really want sundquist here at all......

Do you honestly think Goodman wants to return to an organization that turned their backs on him and betrayed no less? Sundquist is one thing since it seems that Shanahan was the cause, but Goodman is whole other story. We'd have a better chance at Alex Gibbs coming out of retirement to be our offensive line coach! Why would he want to return? He worked his ass off for two or three years, giving us some solid drafts only to see us let mini-me Napoleon destroy it all. I don't think it will happen, Bowlen was foolish enough to fire him and let McDaniels run wild! But you could always as Santa Clause on our behalf my friend, and while your at it Elevation, just ask him to undo the last two years as well and have Bowlen hire Jason Garrett instead....please?

:D

Elevation inc
12-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Do you honestly think Goodman wants to return to an organization that turned their backs on him and betrayed no less? Sundquist is one thing since it seems that Shanahan was the cause, but Goodman is whole other story. We'd have a better chance at Alex Gibbs coming out of retirement to be our offensive line coach! Why would he want to return? He worked his ass off for two or three years, giving us some solid drafts only to see us let mini-me Napoleon destroy it all. I don't think it will happen, Bowlen was foolish enough to fire him and let McDaniels run wild! But you could always as Santa Clause on our behalf my friend, and while your at it Elevation, just ask him to undo the last two years as well and have Bowlen hire Jason Garrett instead....please?

:D

i said hope damnit:lol:

Lancane
12-15-2010, 06:36 AM
i said hope damnit:lol:

I know...but it's Christmas time damnit...can't we poor, humiliated fans get a two-year mulligan?

:lol:

RebelRocker
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
sundquist didn't hit any times in the '06 draft, he was fired by then-- that was jim goodman, not simple ted. . . that guy was a wretched GM by all acounts, although shanahan might need to take a lot of the blame. . . our roster was brutally mis-managed, in any case. . . horrible drafting, and lots of expensive free agent busts. . .

sundquist has about as much business being in charge of a roster as priests have being in charge of little boys. . . he shouldn't be any more welcome here than bob slowick. . . i WILL stab kittens and burn ducklings if sundquist is allowed within five miles of doves cry valley ever again. . .

You're wrong. He was fired in the spring of 2008. The Goodmans took over after that. Get your facts straight.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Vincent Newsome Or Eric DeCosta.

Mike
12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Just say no to the past.

Don't want Sunquist, Kubiak, etc. I'm not sure how I even feel about Elway coming back in the FO. He is my favorite Bronco and would hate to see how fans would tear down him down and ruin his legacy for failure.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Just say no to the past.

Don't want Sunquist, Kubiak, etc. I'm not sure how I even feel about Elway coming back in the FO. He is my favorite Bronco and would hate to see how fans would tear down him down and ruin his legacy for failure.

Relax Mike.
Were talking about John Elway, m'kay.
Come hell or high water, he'll get this thing straightened out.
I see him eventually becoming the VP, and taking over for Bowlen in many aspects. And thats a good thing. DEN needs a shrewd, experienced winner who has the knowledge to either make tough decisions, or put the right folks who can make those decisions in place.
I guess we just wait and see. :D

Traveler
12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
With the exception of Elway , I really want the Broncos to bring in a young, new, and highly successful GM and coaching staff. No previous Bronco retreads. They should look the begin anew and establish the foundation for the NEW BRONCO WAY.

Dzone
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Schonettehiemer please God NO, don;'t want no stinking marty ball.

LOL... "There's a gleam, men! There's a gleam! Let's get that gleam!"

RebelRocker
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
With the exception of Elway , I really want the Broncos to bring in a young, new, and highly successful GM and coaching staff. No previous Bronco retreads. They should look the begin anew and establish the foundation for the NEW BRONCO WAY.

Exactly. This team is in a serious need of an identity and some SWAGGER.

slim
12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
throw in tom telesco from indy (that's assuming chris polian won't leave), reggie mckenzie from green bay, and possibly vincent newsome from baltimore if we can't get decosta. . .

All five have learned how to run an organization the right way. I would be happy with any of them.