PDA

View Full Version : Defensive HC? Why?

The Glue Factory
12-14-2010, 03:49 PM
So there's a bunch of talk about getting a defensive minded HC. I've got to ask why when our last two HC's didn't let the DC do his job. I would much rather have an offensive HC that let the DC do his job for once. I fear that a "defensive" HC would suffer in innovating offensive plays to exploit opposing defenses considering the NFL is so offense friendly. Don't fight that trend, go with the flow and trust the DC to do his job.

I Eat Staples
12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
That only works if you have a good DC. I'm all for hiring one.

silkamilkamonico
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't care, just as long as we stay with the 3-4 and do not go back to the 4-3.

Warhawk
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd rather have a HC that empowers both the OC and the DC to do their jobs, so that he can focus on more strategic issues.

Our recent string of weak coordinators hasn't done much for the success of the team.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Why not the 43? we probably have a better personnel to build the 43, and its easier to build the 43 than it is the 34.

Seems, as of right now, the best teams in the NFL have defensive minded HCs. I don't know if it makes a difference, really. I don't think you get a defensive minded coach HC if you want to fix your defense, I don't think thats really the situation. Billick won a SB in Baltimore, and he was supposed to be considered and offensive guru... yet his offenses always sucked.

I think you just need to hire a good leader.

Northman
12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
So there's a bunch of talk about getting a defensive minded HC. I've got to ask why when our last two HC's didn't let the DC do his job. I would much rather have an offensive HC that let the DC do his job for once. I fear that a "defensive" HC would suffer in innovating offensive plays to exploit opposing defenses considering the NFL is so offense friendly. Don't fight that trend, go with the flow and trust the DC to do his job.

Are you implying that Spags or Ryan doesnt let their DC's do their jobs? I mean we had a Offensive minded HC who wouldnt let the DC's do their job. I think what you should probably say is lets just get a coach who will let all the coaches do their job no matter where they came from.

Dirk
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Are you implying that Spags or Ryan doesnt let their DC's do their jobs? I mean we had a Offensive minded HC who wouldnt let the DC's do their job. I think what you should probably say is lets just get a coach who will let all the coaches do their job no matter where they came from.

I agree. Why hire an OC and DC if they aren't going to do what you hire them for. Only makes sense to me.

RebelRocker
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Why? Because we are in need of an OVERHAUL on defense and we can't trust another "offensive guru" with hiring the "right guy" to do that. The offense is fine. We have a core of young players that will do well in any scheme and the serious need is on the defense.

The Glue Factory
12-14-2010, 06:17 PM

I was expressing the frustration I think we've all had regarding the HC and DC positions more than other teams. Shanahan I think did a better job (except when Rhodes was DC) than McD of letting DC do their job but McD was a new coach that didn't let Nolan do his job. In the end whatever HC we have should let the DC do their job

spikerman
12-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I was all for hiring a defensive HC, but now I think the person they hire to be in charge of personnel is much more important than who they hire for HC.

Dzone
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
This is an Offense based league. The rules have been changed to make it harder for defenders.

Rick
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Only prob with defensive head coach is we have no one on this staff I would trust to completely run the offense and I am not sure there is anyone on the horizon to be fired or just available that can be brought in as a damn fine OC.

There are a few names on the market that may be suitable DC but who at OC?

Unless they do something like bringing that Leech guy from TT to be the OC but he may only want to do the jump for HC.

JaxBroncoGirl
12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I have no problems with a DC as head coach as long as he can have a very strong OC. When you look at a different team (Jaguars) Del Rio is all defense. The Jaguars have struggled on both sides of the ball but I see the defense coming together. The offense is still trying to find their identity.

I would love to see balance in the Broncos. I would love for the OC to get it together and use our talent to win games. I just do not see that happening until 2011 - if we can play. This team has talent, just no leadership even before Joshy was fired. Can you imagine how the coaches feel at this point, they never had to much say about the players or the plays. I am sure this new found freedom has really made the coaches want to coach better. At least I hope so.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Only prob with defensive head coach is we have no one on this staff I would trust to completely run the offense and I am not sure there is anyone on the horizon to be fired or just available that can be brought in as a damn fine OC.

There are a few names on the market that may be suitable DC but who at OC?

Unless they do something like bringing that Leech guy from TT to be the OC but he may only want to do the jump for HC.

I really don't expect many if any of the coaches on the current staff will remain once the new coach comes in.

horsepig
12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Why not the 43? we probably have a better personnel to build the 43, and its easier to build the 43 than it is the 34.

Seems, as of right now, the best teams in the NFL have defensive minded HCs. I don't know if it makes a difference, really. I don't think you get a defensive minded coach HC if you want to fix your defense, I don't think thats really the situation. Billick won a SB in Baltimore, and he was supposed to be considered and offensive guru... yet his offenses always sucked.

I think you just need to hire a good leader.

Goddamn it Rav, lets not switch horses in the middle of the stream AGAIN!

BTW, I agree, we need a greast leader, not an off. guru or visa-versa.

Medford Bronco
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
How about a coach who can coach both, like a Parcells and Bellicheck over the years. yes known as defensive mined but both had high powered offenses at one time.

Parcells even let Bledsoe set the NFL record for pass attempts because he had no other way to win. It probably killed him :lol:

Medford Bronco
12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
We need a real GM. Like KC has set up.

I Eat Staples
12-14-2010, 10:32 PM
How about we hire a complete coaching staff with good coordinators and a HC with leadership and personnel management? I know its an extremely foreign idea compared to what we're used to but that's what we should be shooting for.

atwater27
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
i got an idea. We hire a HC, OC and DC. Then our GM will tell the HC that he needs to let the DC do his job, and the GM will also have firing power over the DC.

The Glue Factory
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
How about this? We stay on topic. Which is about the HC and not GM, in case you forgot to read the OP.