PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign two, release McKinley

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
http://den.scout.com/2/786121.html

The Denver Broncos on Tuesday signed guard Dylan Gandy and defensive tackle Josh Shaw. The club also on Tuesday released defensive tackle Alvin McKinley.

Gandy (6-foot-3, 290 pounds) is a fourth-year player who rejoins the Broncos after he was released by the club on Saturday. Gandy, who originally joined the Broncos as a free agent on May 16, spent his first three professional seasons (2005-07) with Indianapolis after the Colts selected him in the fourth round (129th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft from Texas Tech University.

He has played 42 career games (14 starts) in the regular season along with six career playoff games (1 start), including the Colts’ victory in Super Bowl XLI during the 2006 season.

In 2007, Gandy saw time in 10 games for Indianapolis and recorded one start at right guard. He appeared in all 16 regular-season games, starting a career-high 11 contests at left guard, for the Colts’ Super Bowl XLI-champion team in 2006 that allowed an NFL-low 15 sacks.

At Texas Tech, Gandy started 20 games during his four-year career and was an honorable mention All-Big 12 Conference choice as a senior. He attended Pflugerville High School in Pflugerville , Texas, and was born on March 8, 1982.

Shaw (6-foot-3, 305 pounds) is a sixth -year player who joins the Broncos after spending the 2007 season with Oakland, which released him on Saturday. He also has played for Miami (2004-06), New Orleans (2003) and San Francisco (2002-04), which selected him in the fifth round (172nd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft from Michigan State University.

In nine career regular-season games (0 starts), Shaw has totaled nine tackles (7 solo) and one sack (5 yds.).

Last season with Oakland, Shaw posted two tackles in his only game action (vs. Hou., 11/4) after beginning the year on its practice squad. He appeared in a career-high five games with the Dolphins in 2005, recording four tackles, and saw time in three games with the 49ers in 2003.

A three-year starter at Michigan State, Shaw was a first-team All-Big Ten Conference choice as a senior for the Spartans. He attended Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and was born on Sept. 7, 1979.

Tebow4Ever
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I had always hoped to see more of McKinley. Unfortunately, He couldnt seem to stay healthy. I like the Gandy resigning, We cant have enough Depth on the Oline this year. We have to protect Cutler if we are going to win our 16 games. 8-)

dogfish
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
as i posted in the other thread. . .

WTF are they doing??

:confused:

i've got no problem with gandy, but unless he had an injury that i ccompletely missed, i see no sense at ALL in replacing mckinley, a seasoned and competent NFL vet, with a guy that's kicked around the league for years and never made a start. . . it's not like defensive tackle was a very strong position to begin with-- now we're down to next-to-nothing. . . seriously, nic clemens and john shaw are our depth there? huh?? even if there was some burning reason to give mckinley the axe, there had to be somebody better than these total no-names. . . are they just trying to save a buck, or what?

G_Money
09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Shaw (6-foot-3, 305 pounds) is a sixth -year player who joins the Broncos after spending the 2007 season with Oakland, which released him on Saturday. He also has played for Miami (2004-06), New Orleans (2003) and San Francisco (2002-04), which selected him in the fifth round (172nd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft from Michigan State University.

We give a one week game check to the guy to figure out what their D is doing for the game.

And then we might bring McKinley back if we don't like Oakland's guy.

It's one of Shanahan's "I'm smarter than you" show-off moves. We'll see if it pays off.

~G

dogfish
09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
We give a one week game check to the guy to figure out what their D is doing for the game.

It's one of Shanahan's "I'm smarter than you" show-off moves. We'll see if it pays off.

~G

dang, i didn't even give that a thought. . . you're a sneaky SOB. . . :D

if that's the case, i sure hope we don't end up with egg on our faces when some other team signs mckinley. . . it's not that i think he's an incredible talent or anything-- he's more of a journeyman type-- but competent DTs are tough to find this time of year. . . he may not sit on the market long, and i wouldn't feel real confident in a wink-nod, we'll bring you back next week kind of arrangement with the desparation money that some teams might be willing to spend right about now. . .

*shrugs*

we'll see what happens. . .

BroncoWave
09-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Well darn, there goes the lone Mississippi boy on the roster!

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
MAN!!!! I really like McKinley and love his style!

ChampWJ
09-03-2008, 01:52 AM
This is getting ridiculous. McKinley is nothing special, but for Josh Shaw? There must be something in the water over at Dove Valley.

Retired_Member_001
09-03-2008, 03:44 AM
What the hell are they doing?

McKinley is as below average as you can get at the DT position, but he's better than whoever else we have as the 3rd DT. What if Robertson goes down? Who's going to replace him and keep things intact. DT is major weak point, I WAS more confident than last year about our run defense, but now I've got some major questions. I honestly think someone needs to smack some sense into Shanahan.

NorthernLights
09-03-2008, 06:19 AM

~G

Nice ploy, but if the guy is a vested veteran and he is on the roster opening day, his salary is guaranteed for the full year. I don't know if he meets that criteria, but if he does, that could be an expensive one game move. Just saying.

Skinny
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm glad we were able to get Gandy back.

Buff
09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Ok, so the Shaw ploy makes sense given G's theory... But what's the deal with Gandy, is he just keeping Brandon Marshall's roster spot warm? I don't understand why we'd cut him and bring him in 3 days later, unless we were just trying free a roster spot up for him (Foxworth).

Who's spot does Marshall take next week?

ktrain
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
as i posted in the other thread. . .

WTF are they doing??

:confused:

I just have to trust the coaching staff. Say what you will about poor drafting and poor free agent signings in the past, but once the player has been in the system for a while (a year or so) Shanny is seldom wrong about a player's talent level. Look at all the players he has discarded, and practically none of them turn out to do anything elsewhere.

The only recent memory release that seems to have done well elsewhere is Hixon, and I think it was Shanny's intention to stash him on the practice squad after release. Unfortunately, the Giants were smart enough to see Hixon's potential and they claimed him before he could clear waivers. We all know about the circumstances that led up to his release and how timid he had become as a returner and football player in general, so the decision to cut him makes sense in retrospect.

I would submit that this player movement late in pre-season is more about the fact that Shanny is not at all satisfied with his defensive prospects (at least in terms of depth) and is rolling the dice on some inexperienced guys. The good news is that he is trading known trash for unknown potential (likely trash, but there is still a chance they break-out) and that these are cheap acquisitions that don't really cost us anything.

Kaylore
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Good grief this thread reads like we released Warren Sapp. McKinley no longer fits the mold and they would rather take a smaller quicker guy that fits the scheme and has some upside than go with a guy they know they aren't going to get anything more out of. He's the third DT on the team. Maybe he's better at special teams. Let's wait and see on this.

And Gandy is good in pass pro and has starting experience including playoffs. He's a good backup to have.

G_Money
09-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok, so the Shaw ploy makes sense given G's theory... But what's the deal with Gandy, is he just keeping Brandon Marshall's roster spot warm? I don't understand why we'd cut him and bring him in 3 days later, unless we were just trying free a roster spot up for him (Foxworth).

Who's spot does Marshall take next week?

My guess? Problems with either Nalen or Lichtensteiger. Gandy can play - he's a decent OL with good esperience. If Wiegmann has to start because Nalen can't go and is forced to retire, then we need another guard.

We kept Erickson on the PS but if we don't think he's ready then we need another guy for depth. Nothing wrong with looking at the OL depth and realizing we need to keep Cutler alive if we're gonna do anything this year. No sense jeopardizing him because we wanted to keep an extra skill position player.

~G