PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 or 4-3?

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Uncertainty in who the new coach will be leads to a lot of questions. Most importantly for me is, what defensive scheme will we be running?

Our personnel the past 2 years has been built to play the 3-4, but we're far from being locked in place here. Our D-line is soild at best, but old. Moves will need to be made. 3/4 of our secondary is literally 1-2 years from retirement. Moves will need to be made. Or LBs seem to be the strength. Lots of bodies who have played well at times. Our 3-4 OLBs haven't seen the field for a while, but should/could be back to full strength in 2011. DJ is solid but unspectacular. The question here is...do moves need to be made?

What we do w/ Elvis will go a long way in determing what kind of defense we'll have...or vice versa. Injury aside, he will be very pricey. MUCH too pricey to play in a 4-3. Letting him go via FA will free up some money and we'd likely get a nice comp pick in 2012 if he moved on. However, if we stay w/ a 3-4, he is a must keep. He and Ayers are the bookends we need and have plenty of time left in the NFL. If we return to 4-3, Ayers can be a solid part of that as well. He has the size and the experience at Tennessee in that scheme. He won't be a pass rushing freak, but he'll more than hold his own v the run and he can make some plays.

Then comes the draft and free agency, which will make the biggest impact on our defensive system. I'm a believer that long term success is built via good drafting, so I'll focus on that. In this year's draft, we can address our Dline early and often w/ legit talent. Where we'll be picking, there is a plethora of names waiting for us to take em to play 3-4 DE. Same can be said for DE and NT in round 2. Then again, there is a 4-3 pass rushing stud who could also be there for us in Bowers. Regradless of what we do, I feel D-Line MUST be the focus of this offseason. We have youth all over the offense. It's time to get younger on D...especially in the trenches.

Now I have no opinion either way in regards to the defensive scheme. Just wanted to toss out a topic for discussion...

Traveler
12-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Someone must think Denver is overflowing with cash. Letting Elvis go after just signing him to an extension with $30-40 million guaranteed.

You might want to rethink that statement.

As to whether we go 3-4 or 4-3, put me in the 3-4 camp.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
honestly...i must have been asleep on that one. didn't realize he got the new deal. im gonna regret asking....when did that happen?

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Someone must think Denver is overflowing with cash. Letting Elvis go after just signing him to an extension with $30-40 million guaranteed.

You might want to rethink that statement.

As to whether we go 3-4 or 4-3, put me in the 3-4 camp.

I just think someone had a double latte this morning. :D

Traveler
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
honestly...i must have been asleep on that one. didn't realize he got the new deal. im gonna regret asking....when did that happen?

Right before the season started.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
ahhh...damn leukemia. I knew I shouldn't have stayed in the hospital for a whole week.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
ahhh...damn leukemia. I knew I shouldn't have stayed in the hospital for a whole week.

They say if you take 9 Advil at once it will cure leukemia.
Read it in my Obamacare manual.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
sweet...gimme a minute. i'll be right back.

BroncoStud
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Coaches seem to think the 3-4 is the way to go... Seems to work well for the elite defenses. I've always like the 4-3 but the 3-4 does make sense with the new mold of "tweeners" coming out of college.

Ziggy
12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm a fan of the 3-4 for a few different reasons. First and foremost, you can diguise where the rush is coming from when sending just 4 players. The 4th rusher can come from anywhere along the line. In a 4-3, you can stunt, but the same 4 guys are coming unless you go with a zone blitz. Second- Doom is one of the best pass rushers in a 3-4 D, and we just gave him a ton of money this offseason. Ayers looks like he can be the perfect compliment on the other side when healthy.

Either way, there are a couple of guys in this draft that have the potential to be stars in both the 3-4 and 4-3 D. Nick Fairley and Marcellus Dareus should excell in both, and one or both should be available at the Broncos pick in the first round.

jhildebrand
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I question the idea that we have truly built for the 3-4 the past few seasons. We haven't really built for anything on D. It is all aged vets half or more of whom will be gone.

The bright side is if a change is to be made it will be relatively easy.

The first thing is get a GM in place and see what their vision for this team is and go from there.

Personally, I think the 3-4 is the way to go but our high 1st round draft pick would have to be spent on a NT. If you want Luck, then you probably want a 4-3.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
by built, I mean drafting Ayers and signing the 3-4 bodytype DLinemen. I also said we're far from being locked in place to run a 3-4.

jhildebrand
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
by built, I mean drafting Ayers and signing the 3-4 bodytype DLinemen. I also said we're far from being locked in place to run a 3-4.

But Ayers was a 4-3 hand in the dirt de at Tennessee. That speaks more to a 4-3 than 3-4. Marcus Thomas and company were left over from the previous regime.

Carlton Powell was allowed to walk....oops. He was doing well in TB last I checked.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
The system doesn't make a shit of difference, it's how you game plan, execute and fill the roles of the positions on the defense.

Difference is the front seven, in the 3-4 you rely on your linebackers more then in the 4-3, problem is that a 3-4 is dependent on one key position...the nose tackle. And with more and more teams switching to a 3-4 base and so few colleges actually utilizing the true 3-4 scheme, nose tackles are a rarity and so the ability to get a true nose is rather hard indeed. Whereas the 4-3 utilizes the line more in blitz packages and linebackers more in the pass coverage and run defense. It's also easier to find the right players to fit the 4-3 system then it is the 3-4.

I've played in several variations and different base systems, from the 3-3-5, 5-2, the 3-4, 4-3 and even the ill-begotten 4-4. It really depends on the coaches, their understanding of the offenses, the game planning and adjustments and in game audibles, even on-field leadership, that make a scheme successful.

We could convert back to the 4-3 with little problem, we can stay a base 3-4 with little problem...because we're really neither at this point. We have one player best set in the 3-4 in Dumervil and another who would be better in the 4-3 in Ayers. It's not rocket science, that was the problem with Shanahan and McDaniels both, if they'd have just focused on the needs and eliminated them by filling in those needs then you usually find success with the right scheme. The Giants won a Super Bowl with the 4-3, we won our two with the same as did the Packers and Saints. New England and Pittsburgh with their 3-4, it's all a matter of personnel and knowing how to run a solid defensive game plan without your head stuck up your ass really.

G_Money
12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
The hardest part is GETTING the nose tackle to make the 3-4 work right. And really, you need two.

We haven't tried, so I can't really say we can't get it, but getting any DL to work out is a lot of luck...and it helps to have a plug-and-play scheme to train them in, a la NE and PIT. Everyone has been in the same scheme for so long there that the adjustments are minor and it's easier to get personnel that can work in it.

They may not all excel, but every player they pick for it seems to be remarkably useful in it.

See: Broncos Running Attack 1995-2008 for offensive examples of this principle from linemen to RBs.

I'd like a defense like that. If we could just talk Wade Phillips into remaining a DC and never trying to be a head coach again, maybe he could be the guy to do that. I doubt it, but you never know.

We'll see. I'm okay with either defense - both can be very successful, it just depends on who's running it and who's playing in it.

We have a lot of work to do on both fronts.

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I prefer the 3-4 defense just because Peyton Manning sucks against it... well every other 3-4 except ours, that is.

Frankly, I don't give a damn which front we run, I just wish we could pressure the damn QB from time to time. 3-4 or 4-3 you should NEVER only rush 3 guys on 3rd down... EVER, IMO.

WARHORSE
12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Right now, we have the 3rd selection in the draft.

While I dont predict a Broncos loss in any of the last games, I would not be surprised if we lost any of them.

Is it possible we take over the second pick in the draft? Yes, its possible.

Would that be a selection we want? I think so yes.

Whether we run a 3-4 or 4-3, there are some very good defensive linemen coming into the draft. You can get a great player along the Dline within the top 8 or ten selections, possibly more depending on how the top 8 go.

There will be some good QBs coming out, and there are alot of teams that need a QB.

San Fran
Minnesota
Buffalo
Cincy
Arizona
Washington

That could very well mean alot of trade action for us, which we would need.

It may be that the best slots are at 3, 4, 5, 6 as far as trade values.

Why mention?

Marcel Dareus
Nick Fairley

I like Fairley better, both guys are studs. Fairley a beast of a pass rush at DE in a 3-4. Albert Haynesworth with 4.8 speed.

DaQuan Bowers
Robert Quinn

Both guys would pump our pass rush tremendously.

Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamara

Peterson the best CB prospect to come out in a looong time.

Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jake Locker
Ryan Mallet

These are the carrots.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Right now, we have the 3rd selection in the draft.

While I dont predict a Broncos loss in any of the last games, I would not be surprised if we lost any of them.

Is it possible we take over the second pick in the draft? Yes, its possible.

Would that be a selection we want? I think so yes.

Whether we run a 3-4 or 4-3, there are some very good defensive linemen coming into the draft. You can get a great player along the Dline within the top 8 or ten selections, possibly more depending on how the top 8 go.

There will be some good QBs coming out, and there are alot of teams that need a QB.

San Fran
Minnesota
Buffalo
Cincy
Arizona
Washington

That could very well mean alot of trade action for us, which we would need.

It may be that the best slots are at 3, 4, 5, 6 as far as trade values.

Why mention?

Marcel Dareus
Nick Fairley

I like Fairley better, both guys are studs. Fairley a beast of a pass rush at DE in a 3-4. Albert Haynesworth with 4.8 speed.

DaQuan Bowers
Robert Quinn

Both guys would pump our pass rush tremendously.

Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamara

Peterson the best CB prospect to come out in a looong time.

Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jake Locker
Ryan Mallet

These are the carrots.

Doubtful War, very doubtful...no one has the value to trade into the top five, hell no one has the value (Unless players are involved in a trade or someone goes Ditka) that have enough in value to get even in the top ten. The chances are not even slim, almost impossible...unless Denver wants to lose a shitload of value in a trade, and in the process Bowlen wants tarred and feathered, even sold as a bodily slave to Al Davis by the fans!

For the first time in nearly two decades Denver has a chance to get a premier player, we've usually been selecting in the middle ground of the annual NFL draft. Fans wouldn't be hissing and booing the new regime, but Bowlen, the national media would be blasting him and concluding that he did in fact go nuts. And unless New England sees something since they once again have more picks then Carter had pills, then the chances are even slimmer, almost non-existent of a trade, the 3rd overall pick is nearly the worth of the 13th and 14th overall picks combined, and after all that has been...maybe not the best move to lose more in a trade unworthy of the pick's value.