PDA

View Full Version : The pieces are almost in place

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Call me crazy, but we have the tools to be very good again, very soon. IF we get a coach whose strength is on defense. And here is why...

QB-I believe in Tebow. I believe in his ability to make good decisions. I believe in his ability to make a play when there isn't one. I believe in his ability to put his head down and extend drives. Sometimes slow and steady does win the race. And he's young.

RB-LOVE Knowshon, but we do need a bruiser to go w/ him. John Clay from Wisconsin in mid/late rounds solves this. And they're both young.

WR-Thoms, Decker and Royal are the future. 2 big targets and a slippery playmaker. Tebow can make plays with these guys. They can continue to learn from the vets until they're ready to take over. And they're young.

TE-HUGE need since we're goin away from the McD style offense.

OLine-Still developing, but they're young...all 5 of em.

I believe we can be the Ravens. Or at least the Jets for now. We can have a solid, ball control offense and have the team centered around a dominating defense. We can get a defensive coach who can build off of DJ, Elvis, Ayers and the Safeties while the O doesn't blow games for us. In the draft, we need to focus on all 3 levels of the defense. With a good defensive mind, the pieces are in place on O to allow him to create his defense the way he wants it. We have 3 picks likely in the top 40-45 of the upcoming draft. And there are plenty of stud Dlinemen and CBs.

Even if we switch back to 4-3, we can let Elvis go and save a lot of money. We'll likely get a high supp draft pick for him in 2012 anyways. Ayers can be a solid 4-3 DE and a pass rusher like Bowers could drop into our laps.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I believe we have a lot of the pieces in place. This next hire is a very important one for Denver. As much as I enjoy a high powered offense, having a stingy D can be just as fun to watch.

Northman
12-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Too much uncertainty and inconsistency with coaching and players right now. Until there is consistency in both we are not a good team.

cuzz4169
12-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Too much uncertainty and inconsistency with coaching and players right now. Until there is consistency in both we are not a good team.

Couldn't say it any better...

Buff
12-14-2010, 03:01 AM
I think Tebow will be a good QB, so I actually feel pretty good about our offense. I think we need a speed back to compliment Moreno and a big, versatile TE who can block and catch passes.

The O-line is serviceable. Harris and Beadles are question marks, but I don't think replacing either of those are huge priorities... We're set at WR, at least for this off season. So RB and TE are the only big priorities on that side of the ball IMO.

Defense is another story.

Assuming we can sign Champ, which is a huge question mark, I actually like our defensive backs with Cox and Thompson continuing to develop behind Champ and Goodman.

Obviously getting Doom back will be huge, he is arguably the best player on the team. Ayers was looking solid before he went down with a foot injury, we really need him to have a breakout year next year.

DJ is a solid tackler, just don't ask him to do too much else.

So, I like our LB's and our DB's, but we need help on D-line and the jury is still out on Bruton and McBath being able to contribute at safety.

I hope we rebuild the trenches first:

It's looking more and more like we'll be picking in the Top 5, or at least the top 8, so I just hope we pick a huge, imposing, physical defensive player with our first pick. Top 10 first round picks are virtually the only way to find elite the elite size/strength/speed combinations that we need on the OL and DL nowadays.

...I've rambled on for way too long here but I don't feel like editing anything.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 03:59 AM
A team isn't shit if they have no heart and no passion, if they lack character or the will to succeed.

There are too many variables, I don't believe we'll be real good next year to be honest, it will be a year of change, both philosophically and physically. We have a lot to do still before the rebuilding process is done and too many damn questions that need answered before we can go forward.

We all want this team to start winning, to get back to championship form...but many have forgotten if not for John Elway, this team would have never gotten to that pinnacle before. "We are not playing Broncos' football and we need to get back to that" - Pat Bowlen, well Broncos football has always been about 'John', we've had some solid defensive players over the years, but never dominating...the Orange Crush is gone, it's been gone since the 70's, it was a 3-4 defense that while number one against the run was almost last in pass defense!

Broncos football has since the mid 80's has been about a strong offense that could score on anyone and a preventive solid defense that did well enough to win, but rarely dominant and built around a few elite players. So saying that a lot of questions ride on Tim Tebow's shoulders is not unfounded, it's a legitimate concern. Just like a lot will be riding on the new coaches and staff members the team hires, how we draft and what free agents we bring in and so forth.

BCJ
12-14-2010, 05:45 AM
We have major holes in Defense and question mark at QB if Orton gets worse and we dont know what Tebow gives us. We are drafting defense and that could take time to develop. We are 3-10 for a reason and that normally doesnt make us 10-6 next year. Nice homerism though. Better than just giving up on the whole team.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 07:47 AM
The pieces may be there on offense but the defense is still a different story altogether. Front to back we're old. I can only think of three players that are under the age of 30 on defense. Dumervil (IR), Ayers, and D.J. Williams.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 08:31 AM
We have major holes in Defense and question mark at QB if Orton gets worse and we dont know what Tebow gives us. We are drafting defense and that could take time to develop. We are 3-10 for a reason and that normally doesnt make us 10-6 next year. Nice homerism though. Better than just giving up on the whole team.

Not necessarily homerism. And I'm not saying 10-6 next year. People have mentioned that this could be a 4 year setback. I disagree with that. I just think w/ the right coach, the right philosophy, we aren't in as bad of shape as it may seem right now. I agree that this group needs to learn how to finish/win, but they've been in a lot of these games...until recently. Shoulda, coulda, woulda vs San Fran, NYJ, Jax, StL, KC. If we finish in 4 of those games, we have 7 wins going into the game vs Zona. We have sumthin to play for and the results would likely be different. Hell, in our shitty division, we're in the hunt. But we need a strong willed coach who knows how to finish.

And we are very young all over the offense. There will be some growing pains, but these Olinemen will play together next year...hopefully they'll stay healthy. They were thrown to the wolves this year w/ McD asking em to pass block seemingly 24/7. This means we can focus almost solely on the defense in this draft and free agency.

MasterShake
12-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I'd have to agree, but I'd really have to see what we have with Tebow before making that prediction. If Tebow can run an offense and be able to break upfield for yardage on scrambles that would help keep the defense honest along with an improved running game. I do agree that our depth and production at receiver is great.

We really need a better Dline to help out our young corners though, especially if we lose Champ. All of the really good teams seem to be built around a solid to good QB and a good to great Defense. I just want to believe we can win down by 4 with two minutes left again, or even be in the position where we are ONLY down by 4! :lol:

I think we have the talent basically set on offense, and with a good coach, QB, and better Defense we can see improvement in the next 1-2 seasons instead of 3-4. Its gonna be tough, but I can't help but be excited. This offseason is going to be really interesting for once in the good way, hopefully.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Not necessarily homerism. And I'm not saying 10-6 next year. People have mentioned that this could be a 4 year setback. I disagree with that. I just think w/ the right coach, the right philosophy, we aren't in as bad of shape as it may seem right now. I agree that this group needs to learn how to finish/win, but they've been in a lot of these games...until recently. Shoulda, coulda, woulda vs San Fran, NYJ, Jax, StL, KC. If we finish in 4 of those games, we have 7 wins going into the game vs Zona. We have sumthin to play for and the results would likely be different. Hell, in our shitty division, we're in the hunt. But we need a strong willed coach who knows how to finish.

And we are very young all over the offense. There will be some growing pains, but these Olinemen will play together next year...hopefully they'll stay healthy. They were thrown to the wolves this year w/ McD asking em to pass block seemingly 24/7. This means we can focus almost solely on the defense in this draft and free agency.

2-3 year rebuild at a minimum.
While the offense is just missing an actual full-time RB,TE and another O-lineman or 2, the defense is just piss-poor. I mean its bad.
Denvers ENTIRE front 7 needs a complete overhaul.
ALL 3 D-linemen need to be replaced. ALL OF THEM! And thats in a 3-4. What if DEN goes to a 4-3? Then what?
DEN needs 2 more LBs BAD. REAL BAD. DJ might not even be here next year with his antics, and Doom coming off season ending surgery. Lots of "ifs" there.
The secondary is old. Its good, but its old.
Lots of holes to fill on defense. Lots.

Slick
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree Smilin'. We've sucked but I still think there are things we can build on.

I'd like to see us draft pure defense this year, maybe a pick on a guard or a right tackle as insurance for Harris.

I think we should wait on a TE although I think it's a big need. Lendale could fill in as the bruiser role next year. If not him then someone on the free agency wire.

The great thing about the NFL is you can go from sugar to shit or vice versa in one year. It gives me a little hope going into next year.

I just hope the new coach thinks along the same lines as a lot of us do. Let's beef up the trenches in year one, evaluate the skill players we have in place and make the decisions accordingly. Don't run off guys simply because they're not your guys.

Also, let's get better in our player development. Positional coaches are huge.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 09:05 AM
That's what makes last year's draft so good given our current situation. We grabbed a handful of OLinemen, 2 WRs, and a QB to go alongside the youth we already have at OT, RB. As a result, we have the luxury of drafting ALL DEFENSE, w the exception of a TE. We have 3 early pix, and while I agree with the "if" point that was made, a healthy Doom and Ayers in a 3-4 make the LB corps less than a huge need for us.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree Smilin'. We've sucked but I still think there are things we can build on.

I'd like to see us draft pure defense this year, maybe a pick on a guard or a right tackle as insurance for Harris.

I think we should wait on a TE although I think it's a big need. Lendale could fill in as the bruiser role next year. If not him then someone on the free agency wire.

The great thing about the NFL is you can go from sugar to shit or vice versa in one year. It gives me a little hope going into next year.

I just hope the new coach thinks along the same lines as a lot of us do. Let's beef up the trenches in year one, evaluate the skill players we have in place and make the decisions accordingly. Don't run off guys simply because they're not your guys.

Also, let's get better in our player development. Positional coaches are huge.

I don't want be doom and gloom but I don't think we'll make that quick of a turn around. I don't deny it's possible but our team is a contradiction. We have a lot of young talent on offense much but we're older that Methuselah on defense. Just on the front end every starter is 30 years of age or older. That could take a year or two to fix.

With that said, a good head coach and staff could possibly have the this team being competitive right away.

Traveler
12-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Call me crazy, but we have the tools to be very good again, very soon. IF we get a coach whose strength is on defense. And here is why...

QB-I believe in Tebow. I believe in his ability to make good decisions. I believe in his ability to make a play when there isn't one. I believe in his ability to put his head down and extend drives. Sometimes slow and steady does win the race. And he's young.

RB-LOVE Knowshon, but we do need a bruiser to go w/ him. John Clay from Wisconsin in mid/late rounds solves this. And they're both young.

WR-Thoms, Decker and Royal are the future. 2 big targets and a slippery playmaker. Tebow can make plays with these guys. They can continue to learn from the vets until they're ready to take over. And they're young.

I believe we can be the Ravens. Or at least the Jets for now. We can have a solid, ball control offense and have the team centered around a dominating defense. We can get a defensive coach who can build off of DJ, Elvis, Ayers and the Safeties while the O doesn't blow games for us. In the draft, we need to focus on all 3 levels of the defense. With a good defensive mind, the pieces are in place on O to allow him to create his defense the way he wants it. We have 3 picks likely in the top 40-45 of the upcoming draft. And there are plenty of stud Dlinemen and CBs.

Even if we switch back to 4-3, we can let Elvis go and save a lot of money. We'll likely get a high supp draft pick for him in 2012 anyways. Ayers can be a solid 4-3 DE and a pass rusher like Bowers could drop into our laps.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I believe we have a lot of the pieces in place. This next hire is a very important one for Denver. As much as I enjoy a high powered offense, having a stingy D can be just as fun to watch.

Here's what I''d envision the Broncos doing in my fantasy world:

* Hire John Elway as VP of Football Operations
* Elway then lures Eric Decosta away from the Ravens as GM
* Decosta then hires Jim Harbaugh as HC.
* Keep the Spread Offense & 3-4 Schemes
* Resign Champ Bailey

Free Agent pickups would be:

TE-

Kevin Boss, NYG – Boss has started 30 games over the last 2 seasons with nearly 1000 yards and 11 touchdowns over the span. He’s also a well-rounded tight end in line with the Giants emphasis on the running game. It’s not often that younger players with few holes in their game are allowed to see free agency.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html

DE-

Alan Branch, ARI-Marginal impact on Arizona defense , but fills a need as a huge low cost, young, defensive lineman familair with the 3-4, to help fortify our depleted DL rotation.

ILB-

Davis Harris, NYJ- No explanation required.

S-

Antoine Bethea, IND – Along with Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis, Bethea has been absent from the Colt’s mandatory minicamps in search of a new deal. Bethea has every bit as good as a healthy Bob Sanders in the secondary, but was only given a 1st round tender this offseason. With Manning also due for a new contract, it’ll be interesting to see if the Colts have enough money to meet Bethea’s demands.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/db.html

Draft would focus on defense with the first 5 picks with trade out of the #3 spot a few slots:

1. DE- D'Quan Bowers, Clemson
2a. DE-Cameron Heyward, Ohio State- Bad year, good for us
2b. CB-Ras-I Dowling,Virginia
2c. LB- Quan Sturdivant- North Carolina
3. DT- Jerrel Powe, Ole Miss

Knowing this leans heavily towards the DL, it remains our greatest issue and we need bigger, younger, more talented players. Also a question as to where to money would come from to pull this off.

Just throwing something out there to see if anything sticks.

Dzone
12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
feels better to be optimistic...

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree that David Harris should be our #1 Free Agent priority. If not him, then David Hawthorne...who should come much cheaper. Jets are paying some folks so it'll be hard for them to keep Harris. Seattle could keep Hawthorne if they want him bad enough.

I'd also allow Champ to move on and use some of that money for Jonathan Joseph of Cincy. Eric Wright of Cleveland would alos be an option. Paying Champ what he's worth may actually be counter-productive at this point.

As far as the D-Line goes, I'm sick of the Free Agent fill-ins. We need talented youth to rotate with/learn behind the guys we already have.

My ideal first 3 picks go like this...

1-Marcel Darues, DE, Alabama...Nick Fairley would be a close 2nd.
2A-Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame. We need a TE to round out the offense.
2B-Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska...If Cam Heyward or JJ Wat are here too, I'd be happy w/ any of the 3.

Traveler
12-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd have no problem replacing Bethea with Joseph. Makes sense with Champ too. Unless I missed something, looks like Champ my get away with nothing in return. Can we franchise him?

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 11:44 AM
we could, but he'd get PAID if we did. If Champ goes via FA, we may end up w/ a supp pick in 2012. He'd have to play well, but he is Champ Bailey.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree that David Harris should be our #1 Free Agent priority. If not him, then David Hawthorne...who should come much cheaper. Jets are paying some folks so it'll be hard for them to keep Harris. Seattle could keep Hawthorne if they want him bad enough.

I'd also allow Champ to move on and use some of that money for Jonathan Joseph of Cincy. Eric Wright of Cleveland would alos be an option. Paying Champ what he's worth may actually be counter-productive at this point.

As far as the D-Line goes, I'm sick of the Free Agent fill-ins. We need talented youth to rotate with/learn behind the guys we already have.

My ideal first 3 picks go like this...

1-Marcel Darues, DE, Alabama...Nick Fairley would be a close 2nd.
2A-Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame. We need a TE to round out the offense.
2B-Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska...If Cam Heyward or JJ Wat are here too, I'd be happy w/ any of the 3.

Not at all sold on Rudolph. Wasted pick that high. DEN would do much better getting a true full-time superstar calibur RB like LeShoure.

1 Marcel Dareus DE BAMA
2A Mikel LeShoure RB ILLINI
2B Jared Crick DE NEB
3 John Moffitt OL WISC

And then Do Travelers FA plan along with the above picks.
TE Kevin Boss would be......BOSS!
And i would like to spend some coin on OLB Davis Hawthorne (SEA) as well, he's an absolute beast on the outside and can play anywhere in a pinch.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Do we have our #3? I thought it went elsewhere. Clev has our #6. What else did we trade away?

Traveler
12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Do we have our #3? I thought it went elsewhere. Clev has our #6. What else did we trade away?

#4 for Maroney IIRC. Forgot who traded our #5 for.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
So we basically have 4 picks to work with and we need an entire dline, a cb, a te and a ilb. Hmmm...perhaps I will have to re-think the whole early TE thing.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
So we basically have 4 picks to work with and we need an entire dline, a cb, a te and a ilb. Hmmm...perhaps I will have to re-think the whole early TE thing.

Rudolphs a bit overrated to me.
I like him, but hes more of a luxury pick.
I think LeShoure is the only high-end offensive player that could drop into DENs lap that is worth a high 2nd. And he might go in the 1st ahead of Ingram according to alot of "experts".
DEN pairs LeShoure with Moreno and Tebow, and now DEN can run some serious plays and take some of the pressure off of Tebow. Open it up a bit for him. I like TE Boss as a safety valve for Tebow as well.

Buff
12-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Assuming we can sign Champ, I don't think we need to draft a CB this year. If we franchise him that complicates things a bit since that only buys us one more year... But I think Cox and Thompson can develop into pretty good NFL corners. I'd put the DL, LB and TE needs ahead of CB.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM

I saw a listing of the picks we have and IIRC we having nothing pas the 4th round and we have 6 picks in all.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Looking at the potential Free Agent TEs, I agree that pick could be better used elsewhere. I like Zach Miller and Owen Daniels (especially if we have Kubiak as coach). Not as high on Boss as some, but he's a clear upgrade over our current bunch.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I saw a listing of the picks we have and IIRC we having nothing pas the 4th round and we have 6 picks in all.

so, ya think we have our 4?

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
New England will receive Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011, team sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who reported the trade earlier in the day, while the Broncos will get a 2011 sixth-round pick from the Patriots in addition to Maroney. The Patriots said only that the deal involved undisclosed draft considerations.

slim
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Looking at the potential Free Agent TEs, I agree that pick could be better used elsewhere. I like Zach Miller and Owen Daniels (especially if we have Kubiak as coach). Not as high on Boss as some, but he's a clear upgrade over our current bunch.

Owen Daniels looked like garbage last night.

I know it is only one game, but he was awful.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 01:06 PM
so, ya think we have our 4?

That's what I think saw awhile back.

Buff
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM

The guy hadn't played a game in forever after his ACL tear... He still finished with 5 grabs for 91 yards.

I'm a little weary of him because of his knee, but I think he's still a pretty good player.

BroncoStud
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
TE is a HUGE need. Graham just isn't effective on passing downs. Need a good pass-catcher to help on 3rd downs.

Defense needs a lot of help. Must get younger in the secondary, must get BETTER at LBer, love what I see in Mays. DJ Williams might be worth shopping because he could bring a high draft pick or a solid player in, and he is out of position a LOT. Highly overrated defender.

D-Line we need to get more athletic.

The offense looks good. Big questions at QB but I am not overly concerned about Tebow, it would help to see him in action. If we were to draft a guy like Luck, not the end of the world. Orton isn't the answer but will be a solid backup.

WR seems set. O-Line seems set, they've been really good lately and most of the sacks I've seen are more on Orton's lack of mobility than anything else.

slim
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
The guy hadn't played a game in forever after his ACL tear... He still finished with 5 grabs for 91 yards.

I'm a little weary of him because of his knee, but I think he's still a pretty good player.

I forgot that he has missed a lot of time this year. He definitely looked rusty though.

If he can get back to what he was last year, then I would love to see him in orange.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Sign:

CB-Eric Wright or Jonathan Joseph
LB-David Harris or David Hawthorne
TE-Zach Miller, Owen Daniels or Kevin Boss

Draft:
1-Marcel Dareus, DE, Alabama
2A-Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois
2B-Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
3-Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Sign:

CB-Eric Wright or Jonathan Joseph
LB-David Harris or David Hawthorne
TE-Zach Miller, Owen Daniels or Kevin Boss

Draft:
1-Marcel Dareus, DE, Alabama
2A-Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois
2B-Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
3-Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Dude....Zach Miller aint goin anywhere.
It would have to be Boss. He can catch and block and he can truck after the catch. That all DEN needs. A safety outlet for Tebow.
Why would DEN draft a LB when they got 2 in FA!?!? And that high as well!?!?
Again, go for a game-changer at that spot. There will be HUGE VALUE with the 1st, 2nd round pick! Dont waste it!
http://www.justcoverblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/LeShoure.jpg
He runs hard, has excellent vision and body control projecting him to be an every down back in the NFL. All of that without mentioning that he has solid hands and isn't bad with blitz pick-ups, which will take pressure off of Tebow. Moreno sucks at all of these. LeShoure will be giving defenses fits for years and I'll go on record saying that I think he's more talented than former Illini running back Rashard Mendenhall. This also allows DEN to have 2 RBs that can help open up the field for Tebow and along with Kevin Boss would make for an absolute monster offense. Add in Marcus Cannon or John Moffit and the offense is set with superstars.

GEM
12-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Here's what I''d envision the Broncos doing in my fantasy world:

* Hire John Elway as VP of Football Operations
* Elway then lures Eric Decosta away from the Ravens as GM
* Decosta then hires Jim Harbaugh as HC.
* Keep the Spread Offense & 3-4 Schemes
* Resign Champ Bailey

Free Agent pickups would be:

TE-

Kevin Boss, NYG – Boss has started 30 games over the last 2 seasons with nearly 1000 yards and 11 touchdowns over the span. He’s also a well-rounded tight end in line with the Giants emphasis on the running game. It’s not often that younger players with few holes in their game are allowed to see free agency.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html

DE-

Alan Branch, ARI-Marginal impact on Arizona defense , but fills a need as a huge low cost, young, defensive lineman familair with the 3-4, to help fortify our depleted DL rotation.

ILB-

Davis Harris, NYJ- No explanation required.

S-

Antoine Bethea, IND – Along with Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis, Bethea has been absent from the Colt’s mandatory minicamps in search of a new deal. Bethea has every bit as good as a healthy Bob Sanders in the secondary, but was only given a 1st round tender this offseason. With Manning also due for a new contract, it’ll be interesting to see if the Colts have enough money to meet Bethea’s demands.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/db.html

Draft would focus on defense with the first 5 picks with trade out of the #3 spot a few slots:

1. DE- D'Quan Bowers, Clemson
2a. DE-Cameron Heyward, Ohio State- Bad year, good for us
2b. CB-Ras-I Dowling,Virginia
2c. LB- Quan Sturdivant- North Carolina
3. DT- Jerrel Powe, Ole Miss

Knowing this leans heavily towards the DL, it remains our greatest issue and we need bigger, younger, more talented players. Also a question as to where to money would come from to pull this off.

Just throwing something out there to see if anything sticks.

Harbaugh just signed extension with Stanford.

tomjonesrocks
12-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Simply don't agree.

Was watching the Texans last night--mostly because of Kubiak speculation--and was just marveling at the level of talent. Statistically the best RB in the league. Best WR in football. Top 5 QB. They're weak on defense, but the Broncos do not have a player as good as Mario Williams.

After watching the Broncos abysmal performance against the Cardinals--by comparison I don't know if you can even say Denver is an NFL franchise.

Traveler
12-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Harbaugh just signed extension with Stanford.

Damn!

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Not at all sold on Rudolph. Wasted pick that high. DEN would do much better getting a true full-time superstar calibur RB like LeShoure.

1 Marcel Dareus DE BAMA
2A Mikel LeShoure RB ILLINI
2B Jared Crick DE NEB
3 John Moffitt OL WISC

And then Do Travelers FA plan along with the above picks.
TE Kevin Boss would be......BOSS!
And i would like to spend some coin on OLB Davis Hawthorne (SEA) as well, he's an absolute beast on the outside and can play anywhere in a pinch.

Keep hearing we need a super star RB.

IF we keep the spread offense and taht is a most likely running backs are nice but we will have a couple of them back next year in White and moreno. not to talk about ball.

The NFL is going to the pass first offenses and the running games for the most part are second half clock killers.

Just why do we need a stud RB?

Buff
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM

IF we keep the spread offense and taht is a most likely running backs are nice but we will have a couple of them back next year in White and moreno. not to talk about ball.

The NFL is going to the pass first offenses and the running games for the most part are second half clock killers.

I think we've got an above average back in Moreno... But he lacks break away speed. I would like to get a speedy homerun hitter as our #2 and bring back White as our #3 power back.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
:lol:

White is on his 3rd Pizza today, so if you think hes the answer after rupturing his achilles i got some land i'd like to sell you.
Ball!?!? Really!?!?REALLY!?!?! If he was worth a shot, this woulda been the time to see it, but.....
And then theres Moreno. What a waste, shows up here and there, but is constantly injured, never fully healthy, and is slow, cant catch worth the poop on the bottom of your shoe, cant block. And to make matter worse, celebrates while his team is down by 40, average RB. And nothing more. Should be used on specific plays by the next HC regime, but unfortunately, not a full time RB.

And who says were keeping the spread offense? :lol:

Traveler
12-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Damn!

EDIT: Harbaugh's extension was signed last year. As of early this month,Stanford is trying to sweeten the deal to preclude him from possibly listening to offers from Michigan.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stanford-looking-to-lock-in-coach-jim-harbaugh-before-michigan-can-steal-him-2010-12

Haven't read anything yet saying he's accepted. Meaning, he's possibly still available.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
EDIT: Harbaugh's extension was signed last year. As of early this month,Stanford is trying to sweeten the deal to preclude him from possibly listening to offers from Michigan.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stanford-looking-to-lock-in-coach-jim-harbaugh-before-michigan-can-steal-him-2010-12

Haven't read anything yet saying he's accepted. Meaning, he's possibly still available.

Well, you better get on the horn, son.
His # is 867-5309

tomjonesrocks
12-14-2010, 03:17 PM

He had a ton of dropped balls (well, the Texans in general had a ton of dropped balls all around last night) coming off of injury. He still made a couple key plays and was constantly open.

To say he "looked like garbage" last night is too strong. Though I don't even know if he's a top 10 pass catching TE league-wide--he's 5 times the pass catching TE of anyone the Broncos currently have on their roster.

tomjonesrocks
12-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I would like to get a speedy homerun hitter as our #2 and bring back White as our #3 power back.

Both a Power and Speed back are needed--I agree--but White is as good as cut. White was yet another failed McD project.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I think we've got an above average back in Moreno... But he lacks break away speed. I would like to get a speedy homerun hitter as our #2 and bring back White as our #3 power back.

Whose has said that we need a super star running back now? I heard we could us a compliment for Moreno but not a super star.

MasterShake
12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, you better get on the horn, son.
His # is 867-5309

Just called that number, and its some chick named Jenny and she told me this shit is getting old and to stop calling her. She must get a lot of prank calls or something...

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
It would have to be Boss. He can catch and block and he can truck after the catch. That all DEN needs. A safety outlet for Tebow.
Why would DEN draft a LB when they got 2 in FA!?!? And that high as well!?!?
Again, go for a game-changer at that spot. There will be HUGE VALUE with the 1st, 2nd round pick! Dont waste it!
http://www.justcoverblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/LeShoure.jpg
He runs hard, has excellent vision and body control projecting him to be an every down back in the NFL. All of that without mentioning that he has solid hands and isn't bad with blitz pick-ups, which will take pressure off of Tebow. Moreno sucks at all of these. LeShoure will be giving defenses fits for years and I'll go on record saying that I think he's more talented than former Illini running back Rashard Mendenhall. This also allows DEN to have 2 RBs that can help open up the field for Tebow and along with Kevin Boss would make for an absolute monster offense. Add in Marcus Cannon or John Moffit and the offense is set with superstars.

I don't want 2 LBs in FA. 1 or the other. And DJ won't be here forever. We need quality depth at the position. I do like LeShoure a lot, but defense should be the focus IMO. Drafting a part time RB w/ that pick is a waste in my eyes.

Tned
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Love the enthusiasm, and my "positive" side thinks it's possible. However, there are a lot of question marks on offense, and HUGE question marks on defense. Outside of DJ, Ayers and Doom, and possibly Champ if he resigns, the entire defense is made up of ??? at each position. Either they are in the twilight of their career, they are journeymen, or they are youngsters that have not proven if they are starter material.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't want 2 LBs in FA. 1 or the other. And DJ won't be here forever. We need quality depth at the position. I do like LeShoure a lot, but defense should be the focus IMO. Drafting a part time RB w/ that pick is a waste in my eyes.

DEN needs BOTH Harris and Hawthorne.
Find me one analyst who says Leshoure is a part time RB! :lol:

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Scouting Report: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
by Clint Clearwater
NFL Draft Analyst
November 22, 2010
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 230 40: 4.53

Strengths:
I love his size. Plays with great power. Displays great agility and acceleration. Plays with a great burst for a back his size. Has good decision-making; when he sees the hole there is little hesitation and he shows off impressive explosiveness to get through the line. Surprisingly elusive for a bigger back. He is able to make quick cuts and start and stop immediately. Does not shy away from contact. Soft hands, can catch the football. Does a great job of pass blocking. Has good ball security. Reports of his improved his work ethic and maturity have really been evident this season. He is a playmaker.

Weaknesses:
He needs to be more consistent in keeping his feet moving when engaged. Vision is another thing that often stands out a little bit when I watch Mikel; it isn't his biggest weakness but this is something that I think could be improved. He does a good job of reading his blockers but he needs to look at the whole field when he is running. Sometimes it looks like he just reads the blockers right in front of him rather than see the whole field. He also often tries too hard for the home run play, rather than hit the hole for a 5 yard gain. Again, this is not the biggest concern for me, but he could improve in this area to become more consistent. He does not have elite speed for a running back (even though for his size it's great). He is a little inconsistent at running low; he needs to get lower when getting through the line.

Summary:
Mikel Leshoure is an exciting player to watch. He is big, powerful, strong, and yet surprisingly elusive, fast and explosive. Add in his natural instincts and you've got a special running back. Leshoure is living up to the hype this season; he went over 1000 yards, has 11 TDs and 14 receptions. He also did this behind an average offensive line and a young QB. Mikel Leshoure is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the country and he has all the potential in the world. He has improved in key areas from last season and I believe that his best football is ahead of him. It will be exciting to see if he declares for the draft this year.

Draft Projection:
1st round – Early 2nd round
http://www.thefootballexpert.com/scouting-reports/mikel-leshoure-rb-illinois.html

Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
10/1/10: (Note: name pronounced muh-KEL luh-SHORE) Ladies and gentlement, this is the breakout running back for the 2011 NFL Draft class. Leshoure is 6-1, 230 with amazing power and speed. He obliterated Missouri for 20 carries and 112 yards. He is averaging 6.9 yards per carry and has 398 rushing yards, three touchdowns total as well as ranking No. 6 in the nation in rushing yards per game. Leshoure has been praised this offseason for his improved work ethic, diet and maturity. The sky is the limit for this talented back from Champaign, Ill.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011RB.php

Positives: Great size, very strong build... Does a great job holding the football close to his body... Very quick feet, reaches his top speed almost immediately which makes him a big play threat... Gets his first 15-20 yards in a hurry, tough to contain... Runs through tackles, does a great job getting through trash and running between the tackles... Keeps his legs moving at all times, very hard to slow down... Runs with low pad level, delivers hits rather than absorb them... Great vision, waits for his blockers... Soft hands, is growing to be a capable receiver out of the backfield... Put up big numbers against tough Big 10 defenses, has only one game this year with less than 75 rushing yards... Illinois has put some good running backs into the NFL recently (Pierre Thomas, Rashard Mendenhall)... One of the few backs in this class that has the potential to be a true workhorse... This is his first season as a starter so he will come to the NFL without much tread on his tires... A complete running back, isn't flashy, but is the type of player who can carry the ball a ton, and contribute on passing downs.

Negatives: Top-end speed is just average... Really has only had one great season thus far... Often tries to break the big play rather than settle for a short gain, is prone to some negative yardage plays... Broke his jaw in 2008 after an altercation with a teammate at Illinois... Conditioning was a concern in the past... Takes most of his handoffs out of the shotgun in Illinois spread option offense.
http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/rb.shtml

Even the negatives with Mikel are not much of a concern to the analysts who watch him play.
This is a no brainer and exactly what DEN needs in the backfield. A real, full-time RB that can excel in the NFL.

Buff
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Scouting Report: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
by Clint Clearwater
NFL Draft Analyst
November 22, 2010
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 230 40: 4.53

Strengths:
I love his size. Plays with great power. Displays great agility and acceleration. Plays with a great burst for a back his size. Has good decision-making; when he sees the hole there is little hesitation and he shows off impressive explosiveness to get through the line. Surprisingly elusive for a bigger back. He is able to make quick cuts and start and stop immediately. Does not shy away from contact. Soft hands, can catch the football. Does a great job of pass blocking. Has good ball security. Reports of his improved his work ethic and maturity have really been evident this season. He is a playmaker.

Weaknesses:
He needs to be more consistent in keeping his feet moving when engaged. Vision is another thing that often stands out a little bit when I watch Mikel; it isn't his biggest weakness but this is something that I think could be improved. He does a good job of reading his blockers but he needs to look at the whole field when he is running. Sometimes it looks like he just reads the blockers right in front of him rather than see the whole field. He also often tries too hard for the home run play, rather than hit the hole for a 5 yard gain. Again, this is not the biggest concern for me, but he could improve in this area to become more consistent. He does not have elite speed for a running back (even though for his size it's great). He is a little inconsistent at running low; he needs to get lower when getting through the line.

Summary:
Mikel Leshoure is an exciting player to watch. He is big, powerful, strong, and yet surprisingly elusive, fast and explosive. Add in his natural instincts and you've got a special running back. Leshoure is living up to the hype this season; he went over 1000 yards, has 11 TDs and 14 receptions. He also did this behind an average offensive line and a young QB. Mikel Leshoure is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the country and he has all the potential in the world. He has improved in key areas from last season and I believe that his best football is ahead of him. It will be exciting to see if he declares for the draft this year.

Draft Projection:
1st round – Early 2nd round
http://www.thefootballexpert.com/scouting-reports/mikel-leshoure-rb-illinois.html

Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
10/1/10: (Note: name pronounced muh-KEL luh-SHORE) Ladies and gentlement, this is the breakout running back for the 2011 NFL Draft class. Leshoure is 6-1, 230 with amazing power and speed. He obliterated Missouri for 20 carries and 112 yards. He is averaging 6.9 yards per carry and has 398 rushing yards, three touchdowns total as well as ranking No. 6 in the nation in rushing yards per game. Leshoure has been praised this offseason for his improved work ethic, diet and maturity. The sky is the limit for this talented back from Champaign, Ill.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011RB.php

Positives: Great size, very strong build... Does a great job holding the football close to his body... Very quick feet, reaches his top speed almost immediately which makes him a big play threat... Gets his first 15-20 yards in a hurry, tough to contain... Runs through tackles, does a great job getting through trash and running between the tackles... Keeps his legs moving at all times, very hard to slow down... Runs with low pad level, delivers hits rather than absorb them... Great vision, waits for his blockers... Soft hands, is growing to be a capable receiver out of the backfield... Put up big numbers against tough Big 10 defenses, has only one game this year with less than 75 rushing yards... Illinois has put some good running backs into the NFL recently (Pierre Thomas, Rashard Mendenhall)... One of the few backs in this class that has the potential to be a true workhorse... This is his first season as a starter so he will come to the NFL without much tread on his tires... A complete running back, isn't flashy, but is the type of player who can carry the ball a ton, and contribute on passing downs.

Negatives: Top-end speed is just average... Really has only had one great season thus far... Often tries to break the big play rather than settle for a short gain, is prone to some negative yardage plays... Broke his jaw in 2008 after an altercation with a teammate at Illinois... Conditioning was a concern in the past... Takes most of his handoffs out of the shotgun in Illinois spread option offense.
http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/rb.shtml

Even the negatives with Mikel are not much of a concern to the analysts who watch him play.
This is a no brainer and exactly what DEN needs in the backfield. A real, full-time RB that can excel in the NFL.

We don't need another 4.5-4.6 Knowshon clone at RB IMO. Need some speed to press the edge and/or a bruiser to come in and churn out the tough yards.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 04:19 PM
We don't need another 4.5-4.6 Knowshon clone at RB IMO. Need some speed to press the edge and/or a bruiser to come in and churn out the tough yards.
Who's We?
Clearly you didnt read what i posted.

Mikel Leshoure is an exciting player to watch. He is big, powerful, strong, and yet surprisingly elusive, fast and explosive. Add in his natural instincts and you've got a special running back. Leshoure is living up to the hype this season;

Leshoure is 6-1, 230 with amazing power and speed

Leshoure has been praised this offseason for his improved work ethic, diet and maturity

reaches his top speed almost immediately which makes him a big play threat... Gets his first 15-20 yards in a hurry, tough to contain... Runs through tackles, does a great job getting through trash and running between the tackles... Keeps his legs moving at all times, very hard to slow down... Runs with low pad level, delivers hits rather than absorb them... Great vision, waits for his blockers... Soft hands, is growing to be a capable receiver out of the backfield...

Buff
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Who's We?
Clearly you didnt read what i posted.

Mikel Leshoure is an exciting player to watch. He is big, powerful, strong, and yet surprisingly elusive, fast and explosive. Add in his natural instincts and you've got a special running back. Leshoure is living up to the hype this season;Leshoure is 6-1, 230 with amazing power and speed
Leshoure has been praised this offseason for his improved work ethic, diet and maturity
reaches his top speed almost immediately which makes him a big play threat... Gets his first 15-20 yards in a hurry, tough to contain... Runs through tackles, does a great job getting through trash and running between the tackles... Keeps his legs moving at all times, very hard to slow down... Runs with low pad level, delivers hits rather than absorb them... Great vision, waits for his blockers... Soft hands, is growing to be a capable receiver out of the backfield...

I read his forty time and his negatives which say that top-end speed is a problem - which is exactly what we already have in Knowshon - so I just think he's a luxury we can't afford at the moment.

Buff
12-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Both a Power and Speed back are needed--I agree--but White is as good as cut. White was yet another failed McD project.

I don't know, I think he looked fairly solid in his limited preseason play before he got hurt. I think he is a good role player as a #3 short yardage back, if you can afford the roster spot.

SOCALORADO.
12-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I read his forty time and his negatives which say that top-end speed is a problem - which is exactly what we already have in Knowshon - so I just think he's a luxury we can't afford at the moment.

Thats his "projected" 40. And as you can see from the endless rave reviews he gets, hes incredibly fast on the field. His size and weight are more than likely what went into gauging his 40.
"We" will see at the combine.
And DEN has nothing in knowshwn other than a part time back. Nothing more.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't know, I think he looked fairly solid in his limited preseason play before he got hurt. I think he is a good role player as a #3 short yardage back, if you can afford the roster spot.

I agree, Buff. I don't see how White is a failure when he was injured for the year. I was VERy excited to have him compliment the backfield, and still feel he can do that job well.

BroncoAV06
12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Is this not what people have been saying the last 4 years? We have the players just need the coach. Might be the players at some point as well.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Why?

the run game is secondary to the passing game in case you have not noticed.

The NFL wants high scoring games and is giving the green light to WR and Qb's Time to move away from the 1998 model and get with the picture.

Not saying we do not need some more RB's but it is hardly a top choice with all the other things we need DL (NT-DE) , MLB, Safety. get 4-5 picks there and unless someone bombs this team will be ready for some serious winning.

We have enough RBs to get us yards if the OLINE opens the holes.

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
:lol:

White is on his 3rd Pizza today, so if you think hes the answer after rupturing his achilles i got some land i'd like to sell you.
Ball!?!? Really!?!?REALLY!?!?! If he was worth a shot, this woulda been the time to see it, but.....
And then theres Moreno. What a waste, shows up here and there, but is constantly injured, never fully healthy, and is slow, cant catch worth the poop on the bottom of your shoe, cant block. And to make matter worse, celebrates while his team is down by 40, average RB. And nothing more. Should be used on specific plays by the next HC regime, but unfortunately, not a full time RB.

And who says were keeping the spread offense? :lol:

LEndale came in at his lowest weight since grade school he is motivated to get back into football and since this is his hometown he has the family around him to keep him honest.
Yes the Achilles is a problem but unlike 10 years ago when it was a career ender they have done wonders in medicine to fix them today.

Ball showed me alot fot a raz kid.

Moreno.. has played in 10 games in the last 3 games almost 300 yards in a Passing game. not exactly sure what you need to see.

Does he have break away speed no no many do. has caught 12 passes in those last three games. averaging 10 yards per catch.

arain Peterson has 16 catches the last 3 games and 9 YPC. and about 20 yards more on the ground.

http://www.nfl.com/players/knowshonmoreno/profile?id=MOR120768

I think the kid is doing fine as we speak considering the lousy oline THEY were all behind for the first 8 games or so.

Sometimes we need to forget that John Elway and TD ever played here and look at that cold hard facts of TODAY.

Lonestar
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM

IF we keep the spread and I do not see any reason not to as more and more teams are moving to it. The running rb is not a big priority.

most RB are part timers in the spread.

IF you have to have a dump off spot get a TE.

dogfish
12-14-2010, 09:55 PM

doesn't "have to be" boss at all-- this free agent class will be loaded at TE. . . miller, vernon davis, boss-- and my top choice, marcedes badass lewis. . . even bo scaife would be a solid addition, and he should be available cheap next to some of those names. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
12-14-2010, 10:41 PM

the point is that he will be in Denver. We're not gonna draft a 2nd rd RB to put ahead of Knowshon when we have actual holes to fill.

pipes
12-15-2010, 04:58 AM
doesn't "have to be" boss at all-- this free agent class will be loaded at TE. . . miller, vernon davis, boss-- and my top choice, marcedes badass lewis. . . even bo scaife would be a solid addition, and he should be available cheap next to some of those names. . .

Pretty sure Vernon Davis signed an extension...
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoNut
12-15-2010, 07:34 AM

yeah. I like S.A's post. some interesting points, but whether or not those pieces fall into place as anticipated, we're still going to be rebuilding for a couple seasons I think. Need to focus on a couple of these areas right now with a successful hire at HC and a crafty draft by that new hire and his staff. That's gonna be challenge enough.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 08:39 AM
IF we keep the spread and I do not see any reason not to as more and more teams are moving to it. The running rb is not a big priority.

most RB are part timers in the spread.

IF you have to have a dump off spot get a TE.

Who keeps the spread offense of a clown who couldnt win more than 3 games with it?
Theres little chance the next coach keeps the nintendo offense.
And no, more and more teams are not moving towards it.
NE doesnt even run a spread offense that even remotely looks like
mcd's scheme. NE runs the shit outta the football.

But yeah, RB is not a big priority in DEN and it shows.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
the point is that he will be in Denver. We're not gonna draft a 2nd rd RB to put ahead of Knowshon when we have actual holes to fill.

RB is one of the biggest holes to fill when you have no running game.
And no, garbage yards in a blow-out dont count.
This whole offense is built on garbage yards.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Vernon Davis, Miller and Lewis aint goin anywhere.
If they havent already been signed to an extension, they will.

TXBRONC
12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Who keeps the spread offense of a clown who couldnt win more than 3 games with it?
Theres little chance the next coach keeps the nintendo offense.
And no, more and more teams are not moving towards it.
NE doesnt even run a spread offense that even remotely looks like
mcd's scheme. NE runs the shit outta the football.

But yeah, RB is not a big priority in DEN and it shows.

It's inaccurate to say that running backs and the running game are not a priority in a spread offense. Regardless of how much of passing offense the spread offense is you still have to be able to run the freakin ball. You don't necessarily need a every down back but you have to run the ball effectively. Hell even the 2007 Patriots ran the shit out of the ball. Team totals: 451 carries, 1,849 yards rushing, and 17 rushing touchdowns. Those are not the totals of team that doesn't think the running game is a priority.

From what I've seen Denver has been more competitive in games where we've ran the ball well.

SOCALORADO.
12-15-2010, 09:23 AM
It's inaccurate to say that running backs and the running game are not a priority in a spread offense. Regardless of how much of passing offense the spread offense is you still have to be able to run the freakin ball. You don't necessarily need a every down back but you have to run the ball effectively. Hell even the 2007 Patriots ran the shit out of the ball. Team totals: 451 carries, 1,849 yards rushing, and 17 rushing touchdowns. Those are not the totals of team that doesn't think the running game is a priority.

From what I've seen Denver has been more competitive in games where we've ran the ball well.

You mean made the opposing team have to respect the run which in turn allowed the passing game to open up and also took time off the clock and more importantly gave DEN's crappy defense a much needed rest?
Must be nice for a defense to actually spend more than 5 minutes on the sideline while the offense pounds the opposing team's defense for a change.
You know, like pretty much all successful, playoff teams do these days with a 2 RB system.

TXBRONC
12-15-2010, 10:02 AM
You mean made the opposing team have to respect the run which in turn allowed the passing game to open up and also took time off the clock and more importantly gave DEN's crappy defense a much needed rest?
Must be nice for a defense to actually spend more than 5 minutes on the sideline while the offense pounds the opposing team's defense for a change.
You know, like pretty much all successful, playoff teams do these days with a 2 RB system.

Our defense wouldn't know because it's not an experience that they have had much of over the last two seasons.