PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Lloyd says Denver offense was predictable since week 5

Northman
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Just read on another site that Lloyd said in a radio interview that defenses were calling out their offensive plays since week 5. I didnt hear the interview but this is what was claimed coming from Brandon.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Just read on another site that Lloyd said in a radio interview that defenses were calling out their offensive plays since week 5. I didnt hear the interview but this is what was claimed coming from Brandon.

It's not a rumor. If you check my thread about him talking on "the fan", he straight up says that we were figured out by week 4 or 5. Opposing teams were calling our plays just by how we lined up. it's in the beginning of hour 2 I believe.

Northman
12-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Cool, mods can merge this then. I didnt hear it so i didnt want to initially say it was fact.

JaxBroncoGirl
12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Ok, is this a backhanded compliment or is this Brandon's way of saying he can call plays better. No need to question coaching out loud to the press.

I am now very turned off by this. Brandon needs to keep his mouth shut and play better. Not his turn to speak to the media.

robert ethan
12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Maybe the same RAT who fingered Josh McDaniels was supplying his playbook to opposing coachs. Not that it was necessarily Stink Martindale or Studious Eric, RATTING OUT FROM THE INSIDE. They just seem like the most likely culprits.

TXBRONC
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok, is this a backhanded compliment or is this Brandon's way of saying he can call plays better. No need to question coaching out loud to the press.

I am now very turned off by this. Brandon needs to keep his mouth shut and play better. Not his turn to speak to the media.

Lloyd isn't saying that he could call a better game, he saying our opponents know what we're running before the snap of the ball.

dogfish
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
this is hardly a surprise-- a number of us have commented on how many times we can predict the play sitting at home on the couch. . . you know DCs were breaking our shit down on film with no problems. . . too predictable. . .

dogfish
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Maybe the same RAT who fingered Josh McDaniels was supplying his playbook to opposing coachs. Not that it was necessarily Stink Martindale or Studious Eric, RATTING OUT FROM THE INSIDE. They just seem like the most likely culprits.

dude, time for some new material. . .

jhildebrand
12-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Funny thing is if you listened to the interview, especially live, you wouldn't be making the statements you are. You would have a much better understanding and comprehension of what was said.

arapaho2
12-14-2010, 10:57 AM
well all i know is its been that way since last year....the offense seems clueless as the opposing defense just seems to line up right

as i recall a few weeks ago i noted in my game thread that it always seems as if the defense knows exactly what we are going to run...as it was a key point in last years discussions...predictability

Tned
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
It's not a rumor. If you check my thread about him talking on "the fan", he straight up says that we were figured out by week 4 or 5. Opposing teams were calling our plays just by how we lined up. it's in the beginning of hour 2 I believe.

This is one of the big differences between the Shanahan/Kubiak offense and McDaniels offense. In the Shanahan/Kubiak offense, they didn't really have that many plays. However, they ran the same base plays out of a myriad of formations.

So, one week they might have run play x from a two RB, one WR formation, the next week from a one RB, two WR formation, the next week from a one RB, three WR formation, etc.

They would roll out a one back personnel package, and then motion the TE to FB, or go with a two back personnel package, and then motion the FB or RB to the TE, slot or WR spot.

The whole offense, when successful and not, was about deception and misdirection.

We all remember one of the early interviews with McDaniels where he talked about having a new game plan every week and the reason they would be so hard to play against is when their opponent was watching film, they would see five different offenses the previous five week, and not know which one to game plan and practice for. The fact is that we never saw that.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2010, 11:01 AM
This is one of the big differences between the Shanahan/Kubiak offense and McDaniels offense. In the Shanahan/Kubiak offense, they didn't really have that many plays. However, they ran the same base plays out of a myriad of formations.

So, one week they might have run play x from a two RB, one WR formation, the next week from a one RB, two WR formation, the next week from a one RB, three WR formation, etc.

They would roll out a one back personnel package, and then motion the TE to FB, or go with a two back personnel package, and then motion the FB or RB to the TE, slot or WR spot.

The whole offense, when successful and not, was about deception and misdirection.

We all remember one of the early interviews with McDaniels where he talked about having a new game plan every week and the reason they would be so hard to play against is when their opponent was watching film, they would see five different offenses the previous five week, and not know which one to game plan and practice for. The fact is that we never saw that.

AND, vice-versa.

GEM
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Shlereth was on at the same time and that is what he said. He said that opposing teams couldn't figure out what they were doing because of the run game, the formations and they had to respect the offense.

Tned
12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
AND, vice-versa.

Not sure I followed that, but might be lack of sleep and bad headache (no not drinking this time, just work).

Shlereth was on at the same time and that is what he said. He said that opposing teams couldn't figure out what they were doing because of the run game, the formations and they had to respect the offense.

The quote I remember was Parcells the week prior to that Thanksgiving game a few years ago (the OT run by Dayne I think, to setup a game winning FG).

Parcells said something like, "these guys only run like six plays, but they run them really well. They run those six plays out of a bunch of formations, so you don't know which one they are going to run."

And for those about to go on the, yea, but Shanahan sucked, last ten years were horrid, or whatever.... I didn't bring this up to say Shanahan was better, I was simply addressing the predictable vs. non-predicatable issue with an example of "one" thing that Shanny and Kubes did well. There are other teams around the league that also do it well.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Not sure I followed that, but might be lack of sleep and bad headache (no not drinking this time, just work).

That they could run different plays out of one formation.

Tned
12-14-2010, 11:26 AM
That they could run different plays out of one formation.

Gotcha. Yep. Same formation they might run halfback toss, frontside run then cutback run, off tackle, bootleg/play action, TE drag, FB flare, etc.

Ok, those are my descriptions of those plays, I'm sure they aren't official football lingo, but your point is right on, you it simply led to the defense having a hard time.

When the Broncos sent an offensive personnel package on to the field, the defense really had no clue what they were going to see, because they could run almost any play out of any formation.