PDA

View Full Version : Tebow is a shiny toy on the shelf

PAINTERDAVE
12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I seriously doubt we will see Tebow played this season.

With the looming lockout...
and the team tanking...
I think Bowlen is afraid to take any of
the shine of of his #1 draft pick QB.

I think he is afraid that if Tebow does not play well..
the fans disapointment will carry over into the off season and the lockout.
I think Bowlen is scheming that with the PROMISE and IMAGE of what might be...
he can sell more merchandise and season ticket renewals...
than if Tebow comes in and does not have a lights out performance.

I think it is all about not having the GUTS to take a chance on him now...
and the greed about what the off season and the lockout time will be.

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I think it's just a matter of Kyle Orton still being the number one QB. You go with your number one guy at any position until he gets hurt or obviously can't do the job any longer. Orton isn't at that point yet.

Ravage!!!
12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
I think it's just a matter of Kyle Orton still being the number one QB. You go with your number one guy at any position until he gets hurt or obviously can't do the job any longer. Orton isn't at that point yet.

Thats not true. We've seen all over the NFL, where teams have brought in rookies in favor of the incumbent, to give them playing time.

Dzone
12-13-2010, 06:25 PM

#1 QBs get benched all the time for crappy play. Orton is at that point where he is no longer an effective player...Have you missed watching the last 2 games? Orton needs to be sitting the bench, with Tebow or Quinn playing in his spot

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats not true. We've seen all over the NFL, where teams have brought in rookies in favor of the incumbent, to give them playing time.

Where? Pretty much every rookie I've seen has gotten on the field this year due to injury to a player ahead of him. Or by beating out a vet in training camp. Some positions you can sub the understudy in certain formations, but that doesn't work well at QB. Even Bradford wasn't named the starter until Feeley was hurt.

Krugan
12-13-2010, 06:27 PM

cant agree with this at all. other than you go to your ace in most cases.

This is the only major american sport where replacing the #1 guy is looked at as a bad thing. Baseball, your pitcher gets rocked hes out. Hockey, your goalie gets sheld he is out, or is losing everything, he is out. Basketball, your guys get replaced with benchers.

The record alone says he is past that point.

That being said, i was never sold on Tebow as a QB, but it sure would be nice to find out if he is or isnt.

Dzone
12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I seriously doubt we will see Tebow played this season.

With the looming lockout...
and the team tanking...
I think Bowlen is afraid to take any of
the shine of of his #1 draft pick QB.

I think he is afraid that if Tebow does not play well..
the fans disapointment will carry over into the off season and the lockout.
I think Bowlen is scheming that with the PROMISE and IMAGE of what might be...
he can sell more merchandise and season ticket renewals...
than if Tebow comes in and does not have a lights out performance.

I think it is all about not having the GUTS to take a chance on him now...
and the greed about what the off season and the lockout time will be.

I think you might be right about that. Might not be good for us to get our hopes up that Tebow will play this year. We could end up mighty disappointed

chazoe60
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty sick about the whole damn thing. Watching a guy with potential sit the bench so we can squeeze all we can out of a guy who in all honesty probably shouldn't even be a starter in this league.

It isn't even about Tebow's potential to me as much as it is about just how horrible Kyle Orton is. A little piece of me dies every time I see him mopily meander to the huddle. This is the worst I have ever felt about my beloved Denver Broncos. This fanbase needs something that will make us hopeful about the future of this franchise. Stubbornly sticking by a guy who will never ever lead this team to anything even close to greatness does nothing but foster a feeling of hoplesness.

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Wo! Orton was leading the league in passing about 3 weeks ago. Now you think he doesn't belong in the league? Peyton Manning threw 11 interceptions over a three week period. You think the Colts should have started Curtis Painter last game?

BORDERLINE
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I see where you are going with this.

it's not a bad move on Bowlen's part if he still trying to keep fans going to games next year.

This season is in the gutter. 2 home games left if people fill up the stadium or not it's a loss already.

If he keeps Tebow brand new, and the CBA gets worked out. He then introduces Tebow to the NFL and fans will be buying up tickets to see if he is for real. If he where to come in and struggle badly in these last games. How many will have the same exitement next year???

I get what your saying, it might be good money wise but on the field it's not helping the broncos win with Orton as QB

Ravage!!!
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Wo! Orton was leading the league in passing about 3 weeks ago. Now you think he doesn't belong in the league? Peyton Manning threw 11 interceptions over a three week period. You think the Colts should have started Curtis Painter last game?

You meanthe Manning that is a 4 time NFL MVP, and who's team is STILL in contention for the playoffs, that Manning? I didn't know the colts used a first round pick on a QB to replace him.

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, if the Broncos are "afraid of tarnishing" Tebow by putting him in the game, that amounts to the same thing as saying the team is better off with Orton. It would mean that they don't have sufficient faith in Tim to take over the job.

BroncoWave
12-13-2010, 06:42 PM

What a stupid post. I can't believe you just compared Kyle Orton to Peyton Manning. I just got dumber for reading that.

GEM
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Scott Hastings talked almost word for word about this on their show today.

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
. I just got dumber for reading that.

..no, no you didn't. Not possible.

GEM
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Ding ding ding...fries are done.

Orton hasn't done the job in a couple weeks now.

chazoe60
12-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Yes the Orton whose stats were greatly inflated by McD's QB stat friendly system. Yes the Orton who has had the ball late in the game with a chance to tie or take the lead six times and failed all but once. Yes, the Orton who takes phantom sacks on a regular basis. The Orton that dives two yards short of the first with room to run. The Orton that went 3-13 in the RZ against Peyton Manning's team.

Yep, that Kyle Orton really should not be starting at the QB position for any NFL franchise. I truly believe that the last two weeks are much closer to what Kyle Orton really is as a QB. He really is that bad.

robert ethan
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Ding ding ding...fries are done.

Orton hasn't done the job in a couple weeks now.

That's my point about Manning. I think the Colts lost 3 games in a row and he threw 11 picks in those games. On a much better team than the Broncos have. Three weeks ago Orton was leading the league in passing and considered a Pro Bowl selection. His history obviously isn't Peyton Manning's, but Kyle has been a solid NFL starter for the past 3 seasons and is just 27 years old.

JDL
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
For weeks, the only thing GOOD about this team was Kyle Orton... the defense was garbage... we couldn't run for an inch... but Orton gave us a chance and played really damn well. It is absolutely AMAZING to me that fans have such a short infant like temper tantrum memory. Ok not amazing... most fans are idiots when it comes to football knowledge... calling endlessly for Chris Simms to replace Orton 2 years ago... don't make me look up ALL THE NAMES who did that and point out how inferior analysis was then.

It was thing to want to get a look at Tebow, but in no freaking way could or would Tim Tebow be ready to be our starting QB at the start of next season... that was never the timetable or even a remotely reasonable one, all things considered... so you want to insert Tebow as starter, right now? to what end? QB controversy at training camp next year? Or is it smarter to give Tebow a small package let him play a series here and there down the stretch and develop some game experience? While maintaining support in the guy who is LIKELY to be the starting QB at the beginning of next year, REGARDLESS of what you think of Tebow. I swear some fans are so damn short-sighted.

I like Tebow and had hoped to see him some down the stretch of the Cardinals game, but you are talking about a week where you had a brand new head coach... was it really the time to try and insert a new QB? That's a lot of change in a short amount of time to prepare for a game and to get a QB prepared... Orton's a vet and could handle it. For whatever reason, most likely McD calling so many damn passes, Orton's arm does look dead... but he's done way too much positive this year to sit hear and act like total @sshats about the guy... he's been up to this point one of the few damn bright spots on the team and now his arm is probably dead from trying to carry the team through complete ineptitude in rushing and defense and special teams. Please stop it already.

chazoe60
12-13-2010, 07:35 PM
For weeks, the only thing GOOD about this team was Kyle Orton... the defense was garbage... we couldn't run for an inch... but Orton gave us a chance and played really damn well. It is absolutely AMAZING to me that fans have such a short infant like temper tantrum memory. Ok not amazing... most fans are idiots when it comes to football knowledge... calling endlessly for Chris Simms to replace Orton 2 years ago... don't make me look up ALL THE NAMES who did that and point out how inferior analysis was then.

It was thing to want to get a look at Tebow, but in no freaking way could or would Tim Tebow be ready to be our starting QB at the start of next season... that was never the timetable or even a remotely reasonable one, all things considered... so you want to insert Tebow as starter, right now? to what end? QB controversy at training camp next year? Or is it smarter to give Tebow a small package let him play a series here and there down the stretch and develop some game experience? While maintaining support in the guy who is LIKELY to be the starting QB at the beginning of next year, REGARDLESS of what you think of Tebow. I swear some fans are so damn short-sighted.

I like Tebow and had hoped to see him some down the stretch of the Cardinals game, but you are talking about a week where you had a brand new head coach... was it really the time to try and insert a new QB? That's a lot of change in a short amount of time to prepare for a game and to get a QB prepared... Orton's a vet and could handle it. For whatever reason, most likely McD calling so many damn passes, Orton's arm does look dead... but he's done way too much positive this year to sit hear and act like total @sshats about the guy... he's been up to this point one of the few damn bright spots on the team and now his arm is probably dead from trying to carry the team through complete ineptitude in rushing and defense and special teams. Please stop it already.
Really? You think it was 2 seasons ago that people were calling for Simms, then talk shit about other's football knowledge?

I love posters like you that just call out other fans as being stupid and "asshats" yet you say things like "For weeks the only good thing about this team was Kyle Orton" :laugh: You need to rewatch the games pal. I guess you're one of those enthralled by his yardage.

broncofaninfla
12-13-2010, 08:29 PM
If a player at ANY position is struggling to the point that they are costing the team a chance to win, then that player should be replaced. Tebow, Quinn it doesn't matter anymore just get Orton the h*ll out of there.

The Glue Factory
12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Really? You think it was 2 seasons ago that people were calling for Simms, then talk shit about other's football knowledge?

If you consider 2010 season as done (which it is) then 2009 would be 2 years ago. :listen:

Having agreed with JDL, I would certainly like a looksee at Tebow as a fan, coz watching what is going on currently is the most disgusting thing I've had to watch - including the disasterous SB's in the 80's. Even thinking about the game yesterday makes me want to retch.

hotcarl
12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
posting in thread without reading a single word of any post including the op based on the thread title and voting 1:welcome:

ogplife
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I see where you are going with this.

it's not a bad move on Bowlen's part if he still trying to keep fans going to games next year.

This season is in the gutter. 2 home games left if people fill up the stadium or not it's a loss already.

If he keeps Tebow brand new, and the CBA gets worked out. He then introduces Tebow to the NFL and fans will be buying up tickets to see if he is for real. If he where to come in and struggle badly in these last games. How many will have the same exitement next year???

I get what your saying, it might be good money wise but on the field it's not helping the broncos win with Orton as QB

Then why not give Quinn an opportunity. He is pretty young too.

Joel
12-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Then why not give Quinn an opportunity. He is pretty young too.
Personally, I'd prefer that. He's young and was touted about as highly out of college; the difference is that was '07, not 2010, so Quinn has three more years experience with NFL playbooks and both played and started more NFL games (albeit not many). Quinn was no more unimpressive than Clevelands other revolving door QBs so I'm not willing to put that on him; I'd like to see what a different first round QB can do with a few years on NFL teams before I throw in the rookie everyone knew needed a lot of work.

Speaking of which, Tebow was not Bowlens "#1 draft pick QB". He wasn't drafted #1, or even the first QB drafted; he was the number twelve pick overall and it remains to be seen if he was EVER more than a shiny toy on the shelf since just about everyone who wasn't waiting to see who picked him so they'd know what jersey to buy had him pegged as a good future TE. Whether or not they were right he's still a rookie at a position where MOST players need a year or two of benchtime (like Quinn already has) and a lot more raw than most of them. At this point I'd like to see what either of them can do, but I'm far more interested in Quinn, who's almost as much of an unknown quantity but far better suited to be a pro passer.

The biggest reason I can see for NOT making the switch now is related to the fear PAINTERDAVE stated in his other thread: If Orton's likely to get knocked out of the game next week Quinn and Tebow are at least as likely to meet the same fate. With the Ravens beating Houston in OT and officially ending their playoff hopes I can see why some might think it wiser to wait for Kubiak to make the call when training camp starts.

Dzone
12-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I can see starting Quinn against Oakland and Tebow against Houston. Prob wouldnt ever happen, but, just sayin...We also want to see what Quinn can do. Unfortunately, we have memory of Quinn at Cleveland and he was utterly horrible. These are audition games. We have to use these games to somehow get better. To see who is staying and who needs to go. It also could be good to put players on the field who have fresh legs. The wear and tear of playing 13 games is showing in Orton's weak play. Orton doesnt have the physical body to hold up in a full NFL season. Orton is broken down. Look at Orton with his helmet off. He looks like a girl. Look at Tebow on the sidelines. He looks like a big tough sob

GEM
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM

But you're the epitome of football knowledge. I didn't read past that line. When a person comes off as arrogant, ya just lose any want to read the rest. You could have made a great point without the "look at me, I'm smarter than you" approach.