PDA

View Full Version : Broncos after Rudi Johnson

dunk7
09-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Saw this on rtsports.com

Rudi Johnson Aug 31 02:50p
ESPN's John Clayton reports the Broncos and Texans could be possible landing spots for free-agent RB Rudi Johnson (Bengals).

I've also heard Detroit as well.

Bronco9798
09-01-2008, 10:16 AM
News: Several media outlets in Detroit reported Sunday that former Bengals RB Rudi Johnson was in town to work out for the Lions on Monday. Johnson, 28, was released by the Bengals on Saturday. He missed five games last season with a hamstring injury and gained 497 yards. He was again slowed by another hamstring injury during the preseason. The Bengals chose to go with Chris Perry as their starting running back. Johnson has rushed for 5,742 yards and 48 touchdowns in seven seasons with the Bengals. He also caught 101 passes for 588 yards and one touchdown. If he signs with Detroit, Johnson would compete with rookie Kevin Smith to be the starter.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I wouldn''t mind him in Denver. He has the talent and Denver has the system.

Retired_Member_001
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
He's as finished as Shaun Alexander.

No thanks.

smith49
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
if rudy is healthy and motivated he could be absolutely huge in denver. that is a big if however.

Dreadnought
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Washed up and never that good to begin with. Better than Pittman maybe, other than that I don't want him.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd take him on the roster over Nic Clemons any day.

Poet
09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Washed up and never that good to begin with. Better than Pittman maybe, other than that I don't want him.

DING DING DING!

He was a product of a great system. In his early years in Cincinnati he had Rich Braham who was a very good and underrated center, Levi Jones, a LT who is has made the pro bowl, and Willie Anderson at RT, who I think is a potential HOFer player, and Eric Steinbach, a pro bowler with the Browns as his offensive line. He was on a pass first offense with Chad Johnson, and a then budding T.J. Houshmanzadeh. It isn't hard to get four or five yards a carry when your team is down and the defense has dropped into coverage.

He had really good power, and above average balance in his younger years. He then wanted to become a speed back and dropped about 15 pounds of muscle. He gained no speed, because he isn't fast. Then the injury problems piled on. Last year he averaged a massive 2.6 YPC.

He sucks. He always sucked. He has no vision, no ability to cut back, and is not good at receiving. He was a pretty decent blocking back to be fair. He gave a lot to Cincinnati, and I believe he turned down some money to stay in Cincinnati. But at the end of the day, he just was not a guy who was going to have longevity in football.

It is a wasted roster spot to have him on your team.

Reidman
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Why? Do we need him?

We have a good corps of quality RB's already...

BroncoAV06
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Conflicting reports, heard he came in in great shape, but just could not get over the hamstring problem. I think all the reports come down to people just knowing that the Broncos have smaller RB's and the thought that you have to have a big RB, which most teams do which compleats the circle.

Poet
09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Conflicting reports, heard he came in in great shape, but just could not get over the hamstring problem. I think all the reports come down to people just knowing that the Broncos have smaller RB's and the thought that you have to have a big RB, which most teams do which compleats the circle.

He came into Bengal's camp in great shape. He hurt his hamstring again. His other hamstring. He then was told that he was being shopped around and responded by saying that he wasn't going to try when he was on the practice field for the Bengals. He got outplayed by Chris Perry, and Kenny Watson. He was then cut, because he sucks. Rudi Johnson was a "me" type of guy. He played hurt, but he wouldn't ever want to practice hurt. When the Bengals threw the ball more than he liked, he cried about not getting enough reps. Maybe you should show up against the good defenses like the passing game does Rudi. He was never a leader, never stepped it up in crunch time, and never had good games against good defenses.

Yeah, he averaged like 140 YPC or something stupid against Cleveland for two years or so. Way to murder that top defense. But if he went into Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, it was curtains for the running game. He never did anything against teams like that. But people loved him, and he was a stat stud on a potent offense. People would make excuses like the line play wasn't good, or that he needed more carries to wear down the defense. That was always the best part. We can't give him more carries because our defense blows and if he goes three and out we just gave the other team the ball back and then the game can get out of hand. He didn't do much with what he had.

Rudi Johnson is the running back version of Drew Bledsoe. And my team was stupid enough to not make the trade with St.Louis for Stephen Jackson and took Chris "Mr.Glass" Perry. Wooohooo, we got stuck riding the Rudi train.

Friends don't let friends get bad running backs. So Broncos management, please don't sully your team with the garbage that is Rudi Johnson.

atwater27
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
He's as finished as Shaun Alexander.

No thanks.

Thank you. Yikes, are you people blind?

Northman
09-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Personally, if he came cheap as dirt would it really be that much of a problem?

DenBronx
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM

everyone relax, he's probably going to be a detriot lion anyway. he just worked out for them today.

broncofaninfla
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't see how Johnson would be an upgrade at RB for us.

Scarface
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Go Lions

Hobe
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Hey!?! About four years ago I snatched Rudi up for my fantasy team and he put me in the championship game! However, warm feeling aside, on the Broncos. We know what we have with Pittman, Johnson is a big question make.

red98
09-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Rudi is now a Lion

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/rudi_johnson_signs_with_lions.html

ChampWJ
09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Rudi is now a Lion

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/rudi_johnson_signs_with_lions.html

Thank God we didn't get him. The Lions cut Tatum Bell to make room. I rarely want us to bring back players we got rid of, but I would welcome Bell back in a heartbeat. He brings more to the table than any of our current backs as far as a breakaway threat.

omac
09-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Personally, if he came cheap as dirt would it really be that much of a problem?

I wouldn't want to use up a roster spot on him. As it is, the Aldridge injury sounds fishy. I think we just wanted a way to keep him. If we didn't have room for Aldridge in the main lineup despite how good he played and the obvious potential, how can we have one for a recently injury prone RB who hasn't been playing well?

MOtorboat
09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3564050

Johnson expected to compete for starting RB job eventually

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Running back Rudi Johnson reached a one-year agreement with the Detroit Lions, the team confirmed Monday.

The former Bengal flew to Detroit after being released and impressed the Lions with his workout and conditioning. Following Johnson's visit, there was a buzz in the Lions locker room among players who saw his workout.

Johnson had one of his best offseasons, training-wise, but he missed a good portion of training camp with a hamstring injury.

Because the move was made after 4 p.m. Monday, the Lions didn't have to make a roster move until Tuesday. Tatum Bell, who lost the starting job to rookie Kevin Smith, could be a candidate to be released.

Johnson rushed for 5,742 yards in seven seasons with the Bengals.

Smith is expected to begin the season as the Lions every-down starter, but Johnson will compete for the job once he learns the offense.

The Lions shouldn't have any problems accommodating a two-back system as they plan to run the ball a lot this season.

omac
09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
The Lions released Kevin Jones because of his injury problems, and now they're taking Rudy Johnson, who's been having some injury problems. Maybe they just like keeping injured RBs in their roster.