PDA

View Full Version : Broncos claim Lowry off waivers from Titans

Magnificent Seven
09-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Tennessee Titans free safety Calvin Lowry was claimed by the Denver Broncos on Sunday. Lowry, a fourth-round pick from Penn State by the Titans in 2006, started 11 games last season first at free safety and then at strong safety before being waived in the Titans final cuts on Saturday. No other Titans player was claimed off waivers.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=62468

Magnificent Seven
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced Monday that the team claimed safety Calvin Lowry off waivers from the Tennessee Titans. The Broncos waived Roderick Rogers to make room for Lowry on the roster.

They also added three players to the practice squad in defensive end Ryan McBean, running back P.J. Pope and wide receiver Travis Wilson.

Lowry joins the Broncos after spending the past two years in Tennessee. The Titans drafted Lowry in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft from Penn State University. He played in 36 games for the Titans, starting 11 last year, and he has racked up 62 tackles, two interceptions, 12 passes defensed and 19 special teams stops.

McBean, a fourth-round selection by the Pittsburgh Steelers last year, spent most of 2007 on their practice squad. He made his pro debut in the Steelers’ season finale.

Pope spent most of 2007 on the Chicago Bears’ practice squad. He joined the Bears in 2006 as an undrafted college free agent, then spent part of ‘06 with the Green Bay Packers where he saw action in one game and notched a special teams tackle.

This is Wilson’s third year in the NFL, having spent the first two with the Cleveland Browns after they selected him in the third round in 2006. He has played in four games with one start, recording two catches for 32 yards.

– Adam Zinser, DenverBroncos.com

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20383

G_Money
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
We've picked up a couple of interesting guys for the PS anyway. I guess there's a benefit to sucking - you can get better guys because there are fewer teams ahead of you to claim them all.

Calvin Lowry - as I've said elsewhere, a good, smart special teams player who is a quality backup at safety. I'm surprised the Titans let him go. They were looking for jacks-of-all-trades in their backups, apparently. Calvin just has heart, smarts and determination. We're keeping him on the 53-man, and he's a direct and noticeable improvement over Rogers. Good pickup IMO.

Travis Wilson - Hard worker, but I can't figure out what's happened to his hands. Caught a case of the dropsies with Cleveland IIRC. Blocked a bit at OSU as I recall and is a good-sized kid. Better than Keary Colbert for my money. Might be able to work his way back - it's still early in his career and he does have talent.

PJ Pope - bowling ball with legs. I don't remember him having a lot of outside burst so he's a between-the-tackles downhill runner, and stumpy guys with low centers of gravity can be tough to get on the ground. As an emergency RB I don't mind stuffing him on the PS. We've pulled decent runners from there before when we needed em. He might not be quite as big as I remember - I haven't been able to get a good accounting of his weight.

McBean - prime candidate for a PS berth. Interesting physical skills, not as impactful as you'd like, was a JuCo guy who hasn't played a lot of top college ball and is raw. The Steelers cut him because they had Orpheus Roye back and wanted the vet over the developing kid. AFAIK they still liked him and would have liked to PS him again. With our near-constant need for DL I don't mind adding him to the practice squad at all. Let's see what he can develop into this year.

Add Barrett, Hackney, Erickson and Harris and there's some raw material to work with on the practice squad this year. I'd expect at least a couple of these guys to be on the real team next year.

That's a good thing, I hope.

~G