PDA

View Full Version : He's coming!!!

honz
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5911711

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway is expected to become a lead executive in the Denver Broncos' front office by the end of this season, according to league sources.

"I'd be very surprised if it didn’t happen," a person with direct knowledge of the situation said.

Elway is likely to join the front office in a position with broad personnel powers, working closely with COO Joe Ellis as team owner Pat Bowlen’s two most trusted men.

The Broncos first approached Elway about a front office role last week, before Denver fired its former head coach Josh McDaniels. Both sides recognize it is more important to get the deal done right than to get it done fast.

They now are trying to determine Elway's exact job title, his job responsibilities and a fair salary. But Elway wants to work in Denver’s front office the way his father Jack once did, and the Broncos are interesting in having him help restore this franchise’s credibility and respectability.

Even before they hire a new head coach, the Broncos first plan to restructure their front office, according to league sources.

Elway already is working as a consultant and advisor to Bowlen. The two men dined together this past week, the night that Denver fired McDaniels. Elway also delivered a pep speech to the team before it blew out the Chiefs in Denver. Elway now wants to help take care of Bowlen and his organization the way he did for 16 seasons when he played quarterback for Denver.

Elway has been inching his way into this position since last offseason, when he signed a five-year consulting/marketing deal with the Broncos, according to sources. It reconnected Elway with the Broncos, enabled him to spend more time around the organization, and now both sides are preparing and expecting him to take it to the next level, in which he would have a direct role in hiring Denver’s next head coach.

Many of the co-workers who potentially would surround Elway already are in place. The Broncos do plan to retain general manager Brian Xanders, though his responsibilities could be altered to accommodate Elway.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

BroncoJoe
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Schefter is usually money. This is good news.

Softskull
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
The restructure includes keeping Xanders. Hmmm.

Rick
12-12-2010, 12:18 PM
No reason to get rid of Xanders, just take away that actual "GM" title. What he does, player contracts, he does well.

Go get an actual GM to be in charge of player personal but no reason to remove Xanders from the staff.

BroncoBJ
12-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Bronco fans are coming also :elefant:

shank
12-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Bronco fans are coming also :elefant:

i know what you did last summer.

EDIT: i see what you did there.

turftoad
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/12/as-elway-prepares-to-join-broncos-other-teams-nod-and-smile/

"Meanwhile, a buzz is emerging in league circles regarding the possibility that Elway will waltz into the Broncos front office, Matt Millen-style, and potentially run a team without the experience or, possibly, the skill to do so.

“Please let the Elway rumor be true!” an executive with another AFC team told us via text message earlier this week".

jhildebrand
12-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Xanders is actually a very good cap guy. My guess is that will remain his role.

Northman
12-12-2010, 12:47 PM
And there was much rejoicing.

BroncoWave
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/12/as-elway-prepares-to-join-broncos-other-teams-nod-and-smile/

"Meanwhile, a buzz is emerging in league circles regarding the possibility that Elway will waltz into the Broncos front office, Matt Millen-style, and potentially run a team without the experience or, possibly, the skill to do so.

“Please let the Elway rumor be true!” an executive with another AFC team told us via text message earlier this week".

Yeah, because he has no front office experience. Oh wait, he led an AFL team to a championship.

dogfish
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
that's what she said. . . .

topscribe
12-12-2010, 01:02 PM

In a recent episode of his show on 87.7 The Ticket, Elway emphasized that he
would not take a position of authority in personnel or coaching, that he does
not have the experience for that. He suggested that he would work on the
business side of that. He said he would like to have input on personnel, but
not decision-making authority.

That comes from the horse's mouth. Anything else, I attribute to wild rumors
and unfounded speculation . . .

-----

shank
12-12-2010, 01:09 PM

-----

interesting choice of idiom.

Lancane
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM

From 1994 to 2007 Brian Xanders was a Player Personnel Analyst and then as Director of Football Systems for the Atlanta Falcons, working closely with Ron Hill, Dan Reeves, Marvin Bass, Harold Richardson, Rich McKay, Tim Ruskell and Jim Mora. In 2008 he was hired by the Denver Broncos to be the Director of Football Operations, in charge of the salary cap and player personnel. It was not until 2009 under Josh McDaniels that he named General Manager.

While in Atlanta he's worked closely with several former Broncos' coaches, Dan Reeves most notably, but also Ed Donatell, Wade Phillips, Bill Musgrave and Alex Gibbs. In 2008 he was hired by the Denver Broncos' Chief Operations Officer Joe Ellis and Owner & Chief Executive Officer Pat Bowlen by recommendation, which is to believed to have come from Dan Reeves in some circles.

With is experience of Football Operations, Systems, Personnel and Finance, I really wouldn't be surprised if Brian Xanders ended up being Director of Football Operation Systems working directly with the next General Manager along with the heads of Administration, Personnel, Finance and so forth.

We also have to take into consideration of why a couple of those that he's worked with in the past, such as Ron Hill and Dan Reeves have been named more and more as possible General Managers in regards to the next regime.

Lancane
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
In a recent episode of his show on 87.7 The Ticket, Elway emphasized that he
would not take a position of authority in personnel or coaching, that he does
not have the experience for that. He suggested that he would work on the
business side of that. He said he would like to have input on personnel, but
not decision-making authority.

-----

Heard that as well, but we were hearing that a little before as well Top, I believe he'll be more involved with the whole of the organization rather then just football operations. But, then again...I wouldn't be surprised if he was given more authority by Pat Bowlen within the organization, whether he wanted it or not.

topscribe
12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Heard that as well, but we were hearing that a little before as well Top, I believe he'll be more involved with the whole of the organization rather then just football operations. But, then again...I wouldn't be surprised if he was given more authority by Pat Bowlen within the organization, whether he wanted it or not.

Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't doubt it.

At least, he would be hiring and giving it to somebody with some administrative experience this time . . .

-----

Elevation inc
12-12-2010, 03:11 PM

thats a wise move dude has single handidly turned around the cap for us....Xanders was never the problem here he did his real job awsome....

BORDERLINE
12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
great news to me out of denver

scott.475
12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Even if all he does in the short term is become the public face of the franchise keeping us apprised of what is going on, etc, it will be a big step forward in the short term. The fans, and players, need someone who they know has a passion for this team to talk to us about what is going on. I almost can't see how this can make us worse than we are, what are those other execs talking about?

I don't know what kind of executive experience Millen had between his playing time and going to the Lions, I think he only did radio and TV. John, on the other hand, did not just lend his name to restaurants, delaerships, and businesses, he actually has a hand in running them. Anybody ever wonder why Marino, Kelly, Esiasion, Simms, etc, are working as broadcasters and Elway isn't? That would be because Elway has spent his time being a business man, growing his fortune because he has the skills to do it. I think Millen was more like a McD type guy, knew how to talk about what the team needed from all his time as a commentator, but didn't have the skill to actually do it.

I take a lot of comfort knowing the relationship John and Pat have, mutual admiration and respect, and know for certain any work John does will be all about moving the Broncos forward.