PDA

View Full Version : Coaches, players and even owners are temporary, the Broncos, and the fans, are forever

Tned
12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
While we have a long way to go, I think the firing of Josh McDaniels has hopefully started the healing process among fans. As such, I thought I would post some follow up thoughts to the little A Broncos Nation Divided (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53444&highlight=nation+divided) essay I posted at the end of August. Here goes.

Coaches, players and even owners are temporary, the Broncos, and the fans, are forever.

I think this is a fact that many fans forget. Compared to many fans, my 25+ years isn't that long, but still, except for Pat Bowlen and possible a couple members of the staff (like maybe the Greek), there is no player or coach that has been a member of the Broncos as long as I've been a fan.

Assuming I don't come to an untimely end, I will be a fan of the Broncos long past Pat Bowlen's ownership, and I will see many more head coaches come and go, not to mention the roster constantly change.

The only real constant in Denver Broncos football is us, the fans. Those of us that are true fans, and I believe most of those that call themselves Denver Broncos fans now after the last 22 games, are most likely "true" fans, are fans no matter who the head coach is or who is lined up under center (or guard in Elway's case), or who is the starting running back, or the GM or even the owner.

For some, the only thing that could have them give up their allegiance would be for the Broncos to move away from Colorado, where for others, even that wouldn't change a thing.

So, if the only REAL constant are the fans, you and me, then why do we put the love or hate for a player or coach over the comradery of fellow fans? Why do we put site rivalries ahead of supporting the larger community, the community of Broncos fans?

I often ponder these questions when I see people viciously or subtly attacking fellow fans, belittling fellow fans for simply holding a different OPINION.

We are in fact a small community, us Broncos fans, and as such, we should do everything we can to support each other, not destroy each other.

Just my meanderings for today. You may disagree, but if you do, I hope you remember we are Broncos brethren, and as such have a bond that should not be broken by mere differences of opinion. It's okay to have a different opinion than fellow fans. It isn't okay to attack your Broncos brothers for having that different opinion.

T

BroncoBJ
12-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Yep. :salute: Agree with all that. Players I like get traded all the time. My favorite that got traded was Portis though. So if I was going to stop being a Broncos fan over 1 player, I would have been gone back in 2003. :lol:

I've come to realize that its all just a business. And while I'll root for some players sometimes if they go to other teams. And I root for them to suceed. I always have the Broncos 1st.

Ever since I've been watching, players come and go each year. Just part of the game. Never will stop me from being a fan. I'm all about the team. :elefant:

Whenever someone asks me if I wasn't a Broncos fan, what would I be. I always just say that I'd be ashamed of myself :lol:

SonoftheSouth
12-12-2010, 07:09 AM
The "Broncos Brotherhood" of fans should always remain constant. Some of us lose our tempers too easily, while others are just critical of every opinion save their own. I definitely believe we should always be respectful of others. That isn't always easy when trolls invade this forum though! I hope the mods consider the sources (trolls) of many of our angry replies before disciplining the real Bronco fans! I mean, this isn't "church" even during our "Sunday Schools" of Broncos football games!

PAINTERDAVE
12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
These boards have changed us.

Like Top... I have been a fan forever.

My first game was back in thebad old days at Bears Stadium....
the QB was Steve Tensi... it was around '67 or '68.

All through the decades... we fans just supported the team....
talked smack with our brother-in-law...
watched the games and hoped for the best.

Fantasy Football... online stats...
message boards...
this has changed who the new fans are.
It has changed us old fans.

We are more analytical.
We share our opinions more readily with THE WORLD.
We get to cyber-know other fans we would never meet in real life.
World wide fandom is now run of the mill sruff.

Yeah... we are fans and will continue to be fans...
but we are not the same fans we used to be.

I submit that
McD would not be fired today...
were it not for the white board, this blue board, and the orange mane.
I think McD would have remained to the end of the season
were it not for these fan boards.
You know damn well that the organization has someone assigned
to read these boards...
to keep their finger on the pulse of the fandom.

Bowlen bowed to the pressure brought to bear by the articulated opinions
of the increasingly technological sophistication of the fan base.

That.. and the lack of attendence recently.

We ARE the Broncos.