PDA

View Full Version : Practice squad: Barrett made it

G_Money
08-31-2008, 04:39 PM
http://www.kktv.com/sports/headlines/27720419.html

The Denver Broncos on Sunday signed safety Josh Barrett, guard Mitch Erickson, quarterback Darrell Hackney and defensive tackle Steven Harris to their practice squad, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

Barrett (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) is a rookie from Arizona State University who was selected by the Broncos in the seventh round (220th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played in all four Denver preseason games in 2008, ranking fourth on the club in defensive tackles (11) and tying for third in special-teams stops (2). A two-year starter at Arizona State, Barrett attended Reno High School in Reno, Nev., and was born on Nov. 22, 1984.

Erickson (6-foot-6, 290 pounds) is a rookie from South Dakota State University who entered the NFL with the Broncos as a college free agent on April 28. He appeared in all four preseason games for Denver in 2008 following a collegiate career in which he received first-team All-America honors from the Associated Press as a senior at SDSU. Erickson attended Hutchinson High School in Hutchinson, Minn., and was born on May 14, 1985.

Hackney (6-foot-0, 248 pounds) is a second-year player from the University of Alabama-Birmingham who spent the final eight games in 2007 on Denver’s 53-man roster after beginning that season on its practice squad. In four games (1 start) with the Broncos in the 2008 preseason, Hackney completed 24-of-38 (63.2%) passes for 285 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions (94.7 rtg.). A first-team All-Conference USA selection at UAB as a senior, Hackney attended Douglass High School in Atlanta and was born on Aug. 7, 1983.

Harris (6-foot-5, 305 pounds) is a second-year player from the University of Florida who entered the NFL with the Broncos as a college free agent on May 2, 2007. Harris, who saw time in all four preseason contests for Denver in 2008, played four games for the Broncos in 2007 and totaled six tackles (all solo). A member of the Gators’ National Championship team in 2006, Harris attended Coral Gables High School in Coral Gables, Fla., and was born on Aug. 14, 1984.

dogfish
08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
cool. . . now go get dre moore and andy studebaker. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
That means we have some spots open? Maybe they'll go after some other rookies who were released. . .

G_Money
08-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Yep. I can sure hope so. And Moore and Studebaker would be on my list too, dog.

We've got spots. Let's fill em. There are a lot of interesting young kids who are out there waiting for another look.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow, the Bucs released Moore and he was a fourth round choice? DAMN. Yeah, go get him.

Tned
08-31-2008, 04:48 PM
That's good news. Hopefully, nobody goes and signs them during the season.

G_Money
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
We can just cut someone and add Barrett to the actual team during the season if it becomes important. You CAN stop someone from stealing people from your PS. You just have to be willing to add them to the 53-man.

Hopefully he gets good enough that we would.

~G

hamrob
08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't doubt that Moore makes someones 53 man roster. Who else is out there that is practice squad eligible. We obviously need to sign a WR to the practice squad.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
G,

Did you hear why Moore was cut from the Bucs? That's just surprising to me.

(This question goes for anyone too, if they know I'd appreciate it.)

G_Money
08-31-2008, 04:58 PM
The only thing I heard was not enough motor, Dream. Same problem for most DTs. He's the sort of guy I'd sign to the PS and see if he could make a decent contribution to our DT rotation (a lot of teams don't rotate as much as we do so he can give effort for fewer plays for us). But I wouldn't want to give him a lot of money so he can goof off.

Still, it's a problem I'd love to be faced with in a few years. ;)

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Dre Moore is a fat slob. He is lazy and unmotivated. If you can't get your shit together in a rookie camp when your heart is already being called into question, you aren't a winner...and he isn't.

edit....and my credentials to make this comment...former Terps season ticket holder.

G_Money
08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Sure, but he's got talent. Make him push that stupid Tuten-created sled around the whole season and see if he finds some motivation.

Adding somebody to the PS isn't exactly giving them a huge contract. It's not any sort of risk. Or we could always add somebody like Bazuin instead - lots of heart but an injury issue to overcome.

But the PS is a great way to take a look at players who could eventually be Somebody. We need as many Somebodies as we can get our hands on.

~G

Skinny
08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Moore, the 115th pick overall, didn't start playing football until his junior year in high school. He struggled with conditioning and failed to make many plays in training camp or the preseason.

TampaBay.com (http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/)

SmilinAssasSin27
08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Sure, but he's got talent. Make him push that stupid Tuten-created sled around the whole season and see if he finds some motivation.

Adding somebody to the PS isn't exactly giving them a huge contract. It's not any sort of risk. Or we could always add somebody like Bazuin instead - lots of heart but an injury issue to overcome.

But the PS is a great way to take a look at players who could eventually be Somebody. We need as many Somebodies as we can get our hands on.

~G

eh...give me bazuin. At least he wants to play.