PDA

View Full Version : Stink form GM!!

TimBuff10
12-11-2010, 03:08 AM
He wants to build the team around a dominant Offensive and Defensive line and establish a power running game and also views receivers as a luxury.

That is all I need to know... Come on Pat, get him in now and get rid of Ellis and Zanders!!

Shazam!
12-11-2010, 03:16 AM
How 'bout no?

I want people coming in with experience and vision.

He's not even a coordinator.

This obsession with Schlereth for GM is idiocy. It's as nuts as Romonowski wanting to Coach the Broncos.

I want clear, proven, experienced winners getting this mess set in the right direction.

chazoe60
12-11-2010, 03:17 AM
How 'bout no?

I want people coming in with experience and vision.

He's not even a coordinator.

This obsession with Schlereth for GM is idiocy. It's as nuts as Romonowski wanting to Coach the Broncos.

I want clear, proven, experienced winners getting this mess set in the right direction.

Why does someone need to be a Coordinator before becoming a GM?

Shazam!
12-11-2010, 03:23 AM

It doesn't. Just because you were a player doesn't mean you have any clue how to run a football team, let alone what it takes to Coach.

John Elway is different. He's still the face of the Broncos, an identity the same as the Broncos' logo, and has more of a businessman sense to him. I get none of that from Schlereth, and this constant call for Schlereth is puzzling to me.

Bosco
12-11-2010, 03:23 AM
and also views receivers as a luxury.

Sounds like a winning recipe in today's pass happy NFL.

Shazam!
12-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Also - See Matt Millen.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 03:26 AM

They don't, but some coaching experience is a plus. A General Manager has several administrative duties on top of being in charge of personnel. Schlereth has no experience in judging and measuring talent at either the pro or college ranks, he has no administrative duties that would pertain to the position, and having a fundamental understanding of finance also helps.

Bosco
12-11-2010, 03:28 AM
They don't, but some coaching experience is a plus. A General Manager has several administrative duties on top of being in charge of personnel. Schlereth has no experience in judging and measuring talent at either the pro or college ranks, he has no administrative duties that would pertain to the position, and having a fundamental understanding of finance also helps.

I wouldn't worry about it. He has about as much chance as being named GM as I do.

Shazam!
12-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Stink for OL Coach, I'd buy THAT IN A SECOND.

...and Rod Smith for WRs.

Bosco
12-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Stink for OL Coach, I'd buy THAT IN A SECOND.

...and Rod Smith for WRs.

The former I could get behind. I'm pretty happy with the job Adam Gase has done with the receivers though. I doubt there is much Rod could teach them that Gase hasn't already.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 03:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. He has about as much chance as being named GM as I do.

I'd only be worried about it Bosco if it actually happened, then I'd be severely pissed-off.

I kind of like the idea of maybe asking John Beake to return as the General Manager, he's a terrific judge of talent, he was vital in the drafting of some of our best players from 84' on. Maybe promote Keith Kidd to assistant General Manager, that would be a seriously good General Manager duo, both have good eyes for talent, one already understands the position and he could groom Kidd for a few years, he's no spring-chicken and when he decides to leave we still have Kidd in place.

:D

Bosco
12-11-2010, 03:46 AM
I'd only be worried about it Bosco if it actually happened, then I'd be severely pissed-off. If it did happen, I'd be pissed too (after I recovered from the initial shock and trauma of course) and then I'd seriously start wondering if I was wrong about Bowlen not losing his marbles.

I kind of like the idea of maybe asking John Beake to return as the General Manager, he's a terrific judge of talent, he was vital in the drafting of some of our best players from 84' on. Maybe promote Keith Kidd to assistant General Manager, that would be a seriously good General Manager duo, both have good eyes for talent, one already understands the position and he could groom Kidd for a few years, he's no spring-chicken and when he decides to leave we still have Kidd in place.

:D I'm firmly on the DeCosta bandwagon right now, but I wouldn't be upset if Beake was brought back.

EMB6903
12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I remember hearing about Romonowski's power point presentation that he was going to do had he been interviewed for the HC job a couple years back.. LMAO

Dzone
12-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Also - See Matt Millen.
OMG matt Millen, what a loser. I cant even stand listening to him on espn. He is a jerk. How could someone who is so clueless get a job on TV telling us about football? Seeing him rip into to Steve Young on the air was despicable.

Matt Millens tenure in Detroit was one of the worst debacles in NFL history.

RebelRocker
12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Also - See Matt Millen.

Also- see OZZIE NEWSOME

Just because he's a former player, doesn't mean he'll suck as a GM. I like Stink as a GM, but I don't think it'll happen. We need a more proven guy, like you mentioned.

jhildebrand
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
John Elway is different. He's still the face of the Broncos, an identity the same as the Broncos' logo, and has more of a businessman sense to him.

I think some arguments could be made for Schlereth over Elway. Elway played his entire career here in Denver under Pat's model-no real GM-whereas Schlereth played in Washington and with true GM's. I am not saying I like Schlereth for the job or want him just that there is plenty of argument to support the guy.

Conmparing him to Millien simply isn't a fair comparison. Business-his green chile stuff is as big and probably more successful than Elway's dealerships. ;)

Finally, his breakdown of players and plays on ESPN tend to be spot on. Often times Stink has declared a player to be something other than what his contemporaries have and ends up being right.

Again, I would rather have someone else in that position even if it meant bringing Goodman back

scott.475
12-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, he needs some experience at lower levels first. Newsome is one of the best in the game, but he worked his way up in the admin ranks, he wasn't just tapped to be GM out of nowhere.

GEM
12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Stink for offensive line coach. Let's start small and let him work his way up.

Stink: Lesson #1 boys, there are no restroom facilities. You will not have bathroom breaks during the game.

:lol:

GEM
12-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I think some arguments could be made for Schlereth over Elway. Elway played his entire career here in Denver under Pat's model-no real GM-whereas Schlereth played in Washington and with true GM's. I am not saying I like Schlereth for the job or want him just that there is plenty of argument to support the guy.

Conmparing him to Millien simply isn't a fair comparison. Business-his green chile stuff is as big and probably more successful than Elway's dealerships. ;)

Finally, his breakdown of players and plays on ESPN tend to be spot on. Often times Stink has declared a player to be something other than what his contemporaries have and ends up being right.

Again, I would rather have someone else in that position even if it meant bringing Goodman back

I would love to have papa Goodman back.

Bowlen, yes you, I am talking to you. BOWLEN...get Goodman on the phone RIGHT NOW. We have a top 5 pick coming up in just a few short months.

rationalfan
12-11-2010, 12:59 PM
i think all hires need to be made with objectivity in mind; and with that i, specifically, mean time spent with broncos shouldn't be a factor. skills, determination and potential should be the hiring factors, not how close the person is to the organization.

having typed that, i get the feeling bowlen wants a "broncos" guy in either the gm or coaches office. it makes me mentally vomit with images of jim fassel, gary kubiak, tim brewster or rick dennison leading the team. the broncos need a new start, not retreads running on nostalgia.

rationalfan
12-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I would love to have papa Goodman back.

Bowlen, yes you, I am talking to you. BOWLEN...get Goodman on the phone RIGHT NOW. We have a top 5 pick coming up in just a few short months.

also, i would LOVE if all these posts/ideas/theories/open letters directed at bowlen were actually sent to bowlen. i don't agree with most of them, but if these opinions are so strong and your (general sense, not the person i'm quoting) passion is as strong as you claim, send it to bowlen.

I couldn't find the email address, but here's a physical address and phone number to the marketing department:
Denver Broncos Marketing Department
INVESCO Field at Mile High
1701 Bryant St.
Suite 900
Denver, CO 80204
(720) 258-3100

Please, somebody actually share your thoughts with the team. Perhaps, i'm making too much of this, but i'm one of those people who would tell to your face exactly what i type on message boards - with respect, of course.

spikerman
12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Say what you want about his experience, but if Stink really wants the job and he really believes in building the offensive and defensive lines first then he gets it a LOT more than recent Broncos' personnel people.

GEM
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
also, i would LOVE if all these posts/ideas/theories/open letters directed at bowlen were actually sent to bowlen. i don't agree with most of them, but if these opinions are so strong and your (general sense, not the person i'm quoting) passion is as strong as you claim, send it to bowlen.

I couldn't find the email address, but here's a physical address and phone number to the marketing department:
Denver Broncos Marketing Department
INVESCO Field at Mile High
1701 Bryant St.
Suite 900
Denver, CO 80204
(720) 258-3100

Please, somebody actually share your thoughts with the team. Perhaps, i'm making too much of this, but i'm one of those people who would tell to your face exactly what i type on message boards - with respect, of course.

I don't exactly see where that was disrespectful to Bowlen. I would tell him to hire Goodman back. I could see if I was calling him a drunk idiot, I could see saying it to his face...didn't do that. :rolleyes: That's just a ton of other people around here.

rationalfan
12-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't exactly see where that was disrespectful to Bowlen. I would tell him to hire Goodman back. I could see if I was calling him a drunk idiot, I could see saying it to his face...didn't do that. :rolleyes: That's just a ton of other people around here.

i didn't imply that it was disrespectful to bowlen. i'm just of the mind that if these opinions/ideas matter so much to people who care so much about the broncos they should send them to the organization, as opposed to strangers on the internet.

rationalfan
12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Say what you want about his experience, but if Stink really wants the job and he really believes in building the offensive and defensive lines first then he gets it a LOT more than recent Broncos' personnel people.

don't let revisionist history take over. mcd shared those same beliefs about rebuilding both lines. his personnel choices (several draft picks for o-line, free agent focus on d-line) reflect that. certainly, his choices are debatable, but not his intent.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 02:03 PM
People who want to share their thoughts or concerns with Pat Bowlen should write him -

Pat Bowlen C/O Jim Schafer
Bowlen Sports, Inc.
13655 Broncos Parkway
Englewood, CO. 80112-4150

;)

Dzone
12-11-2010, 02:06 PM
...He might shit his pants during games as GM

rationalfan
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
...He might shit his pants during games as GM

funniest post i've read in a while.

spikerman
12-11-2010, 02:12 PM
don't let revisionist history take over. mcd shared those same beliefs about rebuilding both lines. his personnel choices (several draft picks for o-line, free agent focus on d-line) reflect that. certainly, his choices are debatable, but not his intent.

I couldn't disagree more. McDaniels had 4 first round picks (5 if you count Alphonso Smith) and he picked one front seven defensive player, who was considered a project coming out of college, despite being the most glaring weakness on the team. You'll notice in my post that the "and" before "defensive line" was bolded.

While he signed some FA defensive linemen, I don't consider signing other teams' backups and castoffs as starters to be a reflection of McDaniels intent to build a good defensive line.

Cugel
12-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Why does someone need to go to Medical School and serve a residency before becoming a heart surgeon? :coffee:

Cugel
12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
People who want to share their thoughts or concerns with Pat Bowlen should write him -

Pat Bowlen C/O Jim Schafer
Bowlen Sports, Inc.
13655 Broncos Parkway
Englewood, CO. 80112-4150

;)

Yup! And I'm sure Bowlen will give these fan opinions all the consideration they deserve! :D

http://www.console-central.com/images/stories/misc/trash-can.jpg

Lancane
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Yup! And I'm sure Bowlen will give these fan opinions all the consideration they deserve! :D

http://www.console-central.com/images/stories/misc/trash-can.jpg

Actually, I think you'd be rather surprised Cugel, Bowlen does have a deep respect for the fans, no matter what the media says.

Though, there is no guarantee that the letters will be read, other then by Jim Schafer or one of Jim's assistants.

Krugan
12-11-2010, 03:37 PM
It doesn't. Just because you were a player doesn't mean you have any clue how to run a football team, let alone what it takes to Coach.

John Elway is different. He's still the face of the Broncos, an identity the same as the Broncos' logo, and has more of a businessman sense to him. I get none of that from Schlereth, and this constant call for Schlereth is puzzling to me.

Well other than Mark also runs a pretty succesful buisness himself.

He doesnt need to know contract work, he needs to know talent. I thought Xanders was our money guy, not a true GM.

Frankly I see no reason why having someone of the explayer type help make choices on which direction the team should go for personal. Not to mention he was a trench guy and might have an eye for talent.

That being said I dont think its the right way to go, but it isnt just black and white he couldnt do the job.

dogfish
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
i've always believed in building through the trenches-- i would have targeted mike iupati and either dan williams or mt. cody with our top two picks last year. . . dogfish for GM!

I Eat Staples
12-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Sounds like a winning recipe in today's pass happy NFL.

In this pass happy league, you need an elite QB. Receivers are still luxuries.

Thnikkaman
12-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Stink is a family man, he will never coach in the NFL.

RebelRocker
12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Stink is a family man, he will never coach in the NFL.

What's that supposed to mean? He travels from Denver to Conn. every week to work for ESPN. He's a busy man. Having a job with the Broncos would actually allow him to spend more time with his family. Sorry dude, but your comment doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

GEM
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
i didn't imply that it was disrespectful to bowlen. i'm just of the mind that if these opinions/ideas matter so much to people who care so much about the broncos they should send them to the organization, as opposed to strangers on the internet.

If you have issues with people speaking their mind about the Broncos, why are you on a message board where you share your thoughts with strangers on the internet? :confused: Message sent to Bowlen...I'm sure he has it tops on his to do list now. :D

GEM
12-11-2010, 11:39 PM
i've always believed in building through the trenches-- i would have targeted mike iupati and either dan williams or mt. cody with our top two picks last year. . . dogfish for GM!

Pouncey ftw.

Tned
12-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Pouncey ftw.

Trenches, smenches. I say focus on getting the hottest chearleading squad in the NFL and success will surely follow.

Canmore
12-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Trenches, smenches. I say focus on getting the hottest chearleading squad in the NFL and success will surely follow.

That's the ticket!

GEM
12-11-2010, 11:56 PM

What happened in KC then? :lol:

turftoad
12-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Would fill the stands for sure.

Maybe we should get rid of a Pro Bowl QB, a 1000yrd/100 catch per season WR, a good pass catching TE and a 1500yrd/15 TD RB so we can try to replace them when our "D" sucks so bad,

Yeah, thats it. Hindsight, how effing stupid would someone have to be to do something like that.

scott.475
12-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Why does someone need to go to Medical School and serve a residency before becoming a heart surgeon? :coffee:

Liability? :D

Tned
12-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Would fill the stands for sure.

Maybe we should get rid of a Pro Bowl QB, a 1000yrd/100 catch per season WR, a good pass catching TE and a 1500yrd/15 TD RB so we can try to replace them when our "D" sucks so bad,

Yeah, thats it. Hindsight, how effing stupid would someone have to be to do something like that.

You know, when you put it that way, the last 21 months sounds like a disaster.

Canmore
12-12-2010, 12:38 AM

They were.

TimBuff10
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Hmmm... It seem that few posters in here have ever interviewed/hired someone before. Basing one candidate's potential solely on the amount of success had by someone else is not the way jobs like that are handed out. This isn't medical school or flight school. It is the NFL and there is no way you can practice for a GM job in the NFL.

Stink knows the league, knows the media, and understands football and I can assure you that he is a candidate. Just a few years ago he was a candidate for the Redskins GM job too. How far he may get into the process this time around remains to be seen.

For anyone who has doubts on his football knowledge, he puts it on display from time to time on his radio show with Al... Check it out, you will be surprised, especially if you think a running team with its strength being on the Oline and Dline is inferior to "pass happy" teams.

RebelRocker
12-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Hmmm... It seem that few posters in here have ever interviewed/hired someone before. Basing one candidate's potential solely on the amount of success had by someone else is not the way jobs like that are handed out. This isn't medical school or flight school. It is the NFL and there is no way you can practice for a GM job in the NFL.

Stink knows the league, knows the media, and understands football and I can assure you that he is a candidate. Just a few years ago he was a candidate for the Redskins GM job too. How far he may get into the process this time around remains to be seen.

For anyone who has doubts on his football knowledge, he puts it on display from time to time on his radio show with Al... Check it out, you will be surprised, especially if you think a running team with its strength being on the Oline and Dline is inferior to "pass happy" teams.

With our FO currently in a state of flux, we know that the organization will go with a more balanced personnel approach. A situation like that could be beneficial for Stink. Although he would be the GM and have final say over personnel, he would be consulting over all football related decisions with Elway and having been a member of the organization before, he understands what's best for the franchise and he won't go on a 'power trip'. He understands what it takes to build a winning team and he will work WITH the FO and not have a certain Napoleon complex that McDumbass had.

Tned
12-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Come on, someones got to post the "they're garbage" clip.

UrbanBounca
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/josh%20mcdaniels%20high%20school%20card.jpg

"I wanted it that way!"

dogfish
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
It is the NFL and there is no way you can practice for a GM job in the NFL.

what? there certainly is a way-- it's called holding one of the assistant positions further down the line in a good front office. . . that would seem pretty clear. . . you're not wrong saying that guys like that are unproven, but that's not at all the same as untrained or inexperienced. . .

there are ways to simulate things like surgery and flight, but no way to actually practice them besides doing them. . . but you only get to do that after years of training-- they don't just let any yayhoo off the street take a crack at it. . .

look, stink is one of my all-time favorite broncos, and he's a decent analyst and a good radio personality-- i listen to the drive all the time. . . i don't doubt his intelligence, and you can't question the heart, dedication or perserverance of a guy that played through as many surgeries as he did. . . i think he's a winner, and don't doubt that he could some day be a good front office exec, given the proper training and support staff. . .

but not just out of the blue, being THE top decision maker for a franchise before he's ever done any serious scouting or probably ever sat in a team's war room on draft day. . . before he's ever taken place in a single contract or trade negotiation? he's just going to give himself some quick on-the-job training, maybe read up on the internet, call some of his NFL buddies like alex gibbs or alfred williams?

i would certainly consider schlereth for GM if he'd served some years as an assistant GM somewhere, or director of personnel, director of scouting, vice-president of football affairs-- some significant post like that. . . a hardnosed playing career and years as a television analyst just doesn't amount to a good resume to be the senior executive of a half-billion dollar franchise. . .

i appreciate the guy's ambition, but let him call once the new staff's in place and ask if he can get a role as a front office assistant, or assistant OL coach. . . you don't start dropping word that you're interested in becoming the president of a university when you're still working on your bachelor's. . .

GEM
12-12-2010, 03:18 AM

We just got out of a coaching DISASTER. Should we really take a chance? I mean what would the fans do if it was another disaster? More importantly, what would the franchise do if it were another disaster.

He'd be great for OLine coach, but no way on GM or head coach. Let him work his way up. If he's that good, it will show and I'm sure Bowlen would reward.

Tned
12-12-2010, 10:14 AM
We just got out of a coaching DISASTER. Should we really take a chance? I mean what would the fans do if it was another disaster? More importantly, what would the franchise do if it were another disaster.

He'd be great for OLine coach, but no way on GM or head coach. Let him work his way up. If he's that good, it will show and I'm sure Bowlen would reward.

While there is no sure thing in football, I hope that Bowlen/Ellis don't go the experiment route again. There is a lot of work left to clean up the roster that McDaniels left, we don't want to risk putting this team further away from being ready to compete.

spikerman
12-12-2010, 10:57 AM

The more I think of all of the moves and decisions that were made over the past two years the more I wonder if this franchise's destruction was purposeful. NOBODY can make this many bad roster moves and decisions by accident.

I'm kidding of course, but damn how can so many decisions by a group of people be so consistently wrong?

Tned
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
The more I think of all of the moves and decisions that were made over the past two years the more I wonder if this franchise's destruction was purposeful. NOBODY can make this many bad roster moves and decisions by accident.

I'm kidding of course, but damn how can so many decisions by a group of people be so consistently wrong?

Two words -- youthful arrogance.

Just like many of us posters have such an easy time saying, "trade this guy, or cut that guy" or "we don't need that midget, one-trick pony Doom, all he knows how to do is rush the passer. We can get five guys to do that", McDaniels fell into a trap of believing his own BS.

What I mean, is that McDaniels preached that the system is the most important thing. If you have the system in place, and you fill it with high character, team first players, then the team will win, because of the system. That's the youthful arrogance, where he believed his 'system' was more critical to team success than a roster full of talented players. It's simply not the case.

He, and many others, forget that New England has Tom Brady, a very talented guy. On defense, even though they were often seen to be moving guys in and out as interchangeable cogs in the great NE system, they always had a core of very talented players, as they did on offense around Brady.

McDaniels, acting as you would expect a 'kid' to act, simply got rid of anyone he didn't like or feel felt his 'perfect' team, because he really believed that the system was more important than the individual players.

Unfortunately, it just isn't the case. This is the NFL, and in the NFL, you need talent to win. A scheme might help you in matchups and help get the most out of that talent, but you still have to start with the talent.

spikerman
12-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Two words -- youthful arrogance.

Just like many of us posters have such an easy time saying, "trade this guy, or cut that guy" or "we don't need that midget, one-trick pony Doom, all he knows how to do is rush the passer. We can get five guys to do that", McDaniels fell into a trap of believing his own BS.

What I mean, is that McDaniels preached that the system is the most important thing. If you have the system in place, and you fill it with high character, team first players, then the team will win, because of the system. That's the youthful arrogance, where he believed his 'system' was more critical to team success than a roster full of talented players. It's simply not the case.

He, and many others, forget that New England has Tom Brady, a very talented guy. On defense, even though they were often seen to be moving guys in and out as interchangeable cogs in the great NE system, they always had a core of very talented players, as they did on offense around Brady.

McDaniels, acting as you would expect a 'kid' to act, simply got rid of anyone he didn't like or feel felt his 'perfect' team, because he really believed that the system was more important than the individual players.

Unfortunately, it just isn't the case. This is the NFL, and in the NFL, you need talent to win. A scheme might help you in matchups and help get the most out of that talent, but you still have to start with the talent.

He should have come on here and read the board. A lot of us were trying to tell him that he was blowing it. aahhh... kids today. :tsk: :D