PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of death

horsepig
12-09-2010, 11:32 PM
When McD won those first 6 games. I thought to myself, boy, he's gonna have to pay down the line.

I just didn't think it would be this bad.

Just a post from another superstitious player.

scott.475
12-09-2010, 11:35 PM
You bastid, this is all your fault...

Lancane
12-10-2010, 12:08 AM
The problem was that he was in a hurry to make a name for himself rather then doing what he was hired for...when you do that, usually it ends up in failure...as he now knows.

Cugel
12-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't say it was that Lancane. McDaniels had LOTS of problems.

1. He was placed in charge of player personnel decisions when he flat isn't qualified to make them. Consequently he made a series of terrible errors in drafting and trading.

2. His has serious personality problems: specifically he's arrogant and angry -- lashing out at everybody who challenges him in any way and trying to rule through fear and intimidation. He can NEVER admit he's wrong -- ESPECIALLY when he's wrong.

This is at least partly controlled when he's an assistant coach, because he has to answer to a superior and therefore must curb his tendency to alienate and intimidate players the head coach may want to keep. But as head coach his worst tendencies were unmasked.

3. Partly as a consequence of #2 he couldn't get along with his coaches. He got rid of Nolan despite the fact that he was the best DC the Broncos have had in at least 10 years. He antagonized and alienated his coaches so much that they started leaking stories to the media designed to discredit and embarrass him. He utterly failed to engender the loyalty of his own staff.

4. Partly as a result of #2 he alienated or simply got rid of virtually every decent player he inherited from Mike Shanahan.

I remember seeing an interview with Mike Shanahan from shortly prior to the 2009 season in which he predicts McDaniels success stating that he believes that McDaniels inherited some very good talent that he can build on.

McDaniels was so arrogant he thew them all away and tried to start over with all "his" players -- who presumably would be loyal only to him. This is a sign of immaturity -- he could have tried to win the loyalty of the players he inherited instead of getting rid of all of them.

But, that was never a possibility given how arrogant and egotistical he is.

MasterShake
12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
I think McD's biggest problem in retrospect was not trying to bring in the Patriot way, but thinking we were the Patriots. The Patriots can toss out an "attitude" type guy like Randy Moss and not miss a beat, we can't afford to lose any talent here. He took a team in rebuild mode and made them fragile. Hopefully this weekend will be a breath of fresh air.

Dreadnought
12-10-2010, 08:21 AM
McDaniels was so arrogant he thew them all away and tried to start over with all "his" players -- who presumably would be loyal only to him. This is a sign of immaturity -- he could have tried to win the loyalty of the players he inherited instead of getting rid of all of them.

Exactly - perfectly said IMO. At risk of playing amateur pop-psychologist, it was blindingly obvious he had no actual confidence in his leadership abilities. The guys he ridded the team of were dumped because they would be the first guys to notice that the Emporer had no clothes. Then he had to justify it all by making up rubbish about their "attitudes" and how he was rebuilding the Team with players who weren't "me-first" types. It was laughable and at the same time unjust.

rcsodak
12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Lmao.!
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
12-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Exactly - perfectly said IMO. At risk of playing amateur pop-psychologist, it was blindingly obvious he had no actual confidence in his leadership abilities. The guys he ridded the team of were dumped because they would be the first guys to notice that the Emporer had no clothes. Then he had to justify it all by making up rubbish about their "attitudes" and how he was rebuilding the Team with players who weren't "me-first" types. It was laughable and at the same time unjust.

I think the thing I'm most relieved about is that we wont have to worry about who he'll draft. I'm not saying all his choices were bad but I think on the whole that weren't very good.

Dreadnought
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I think the thing I'm most relieved about is that we wont have to worry about who he'll draft. I'm not saying all his choices were bad but I think on the whole that weren't very good.

Its just one blessing amongst so many. My cup runneth over :D

TXBRONC
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Its just one blessing amongst so many. My cup runneth over :D

I was dreading the prospect of having a top ten pick and McDaniels choosing the best hands of stone blocking tight end available in the draft. :shocked:

BroncoNut
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
When McD won those first 6 games. I thought to myself, boy, he's gonna have to pay down the line.

I just didn't think it would be this bad.

Just a post from another superstitious player.

I was actually pretty excited for the JMcD era in his first season. not just for the first 6, but I thought his what are now considered "stupid moves" seemed ballsy and thought out. Like the Alphonso Smith and Moreno pickups

Dzone
12-10-2010, 02:27 PM
looks like sportswriters are gettting hard up for writing material...like this article about Urban Meyer coming to denver to coach tebow..sheesh
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/09/fanhouse-roundtable-will-urban-meyer-join-tim-tebow-in-denver/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002&xid=siextra_121010

Tempus Fugit
12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Firing McDaniels less than 2 years into his tenure was stupid.

silkamilkamonico
12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I have actually been thinking the exact same thing with Denver being blessed with John Elway. I think curses/karma actually do exist.

Dzone
12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Firing McDaniels less than 2 years into his tenure was stupid.
Letting Mcdaniels dismantle the franchise was stupid..He left the place in a shambles..He should have been fired when he lost our star quarterback. He was here way too long.

Lancane
12-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I have actually been thinking the exact same thing with Denver being blessed with John Elway. I think curses/karma actually do exist.

You mean similar to the Curse of the Bambino or the Madden Curse?

:shocked:

Tempus Fugit
12-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Letting Mcdaniels dismantle the franchise was stupid..He left the place in a shambles..He should have been fired when he lost our star quarterback. He was here way too long.

The moment you defend Cutler, you show that your opinion is not only biased, but is part of the problem in Denver. Cutler was crying before McDaniels even arrived, as had been pointed out time and again.

The same sort of nonsense was going on in Kansas City last year, and earlier this season. The difference is that K.C. was able to improve a bit faster, coming from a 4 win team, and the ownership there didn't jump the gun the way it did in Denver.

BeefStew25
12-11-2010, 01:33 AM
The moment you defend Cutler, you show that your opinion is not only biased, but is part of the problem in Denver. Cutler was crying before McDaniels even arrived, as had been pointed out time and again.

The same sort of nonsense was going on in Kansas City last year, and earlier this season. The difference is that K.C. was able to improve a bit faster, coming from a 4 win team, and the ownership there didn't jump the gun the way it did in Denver.

KC didn't give Haley the keys. Let's focus on Joe Ellis for a bit here.

Tned
12-11-2010, 01:36 AM
KC didn't give Haley the keys. Let's focus on Joe Ellis for a bit here.

Get off Elilis' ass. Speaking of ass, you avatars ass is cute, even itht the shit patns.