PDA

View Full Version : Broncos get acquainted with Studesville in his new role

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Give Eric Studesville credit.

As he sat across a table from some of the Broncos' most high-profile players Wednesday morning, he knew what was going on behind the eyes looking back at him.

"Most of this morning was them kind of looking at me, trying to figure out what I'm thinking," Studesville said. "Who is this guy I see sitting in front of me that I see in the lunch room, and now all of a sudden he's the head football coach?"

After the whirlwind firing of coach Josh McDaniels and Studesville's promotion from running backs coach to interim head coach this week, Studesville settled into his first day in front of the team as the Broncos began preparing for Arizona.

Studesville met with the captains early Wednesday and led the team meeting as he worked his way through the team's usual schedule before the Broncos took the field for an afternoon practice. The 43-year-old coach emphasized enthusiasm and effort. He told the players he wants them to be "excited" to come to work.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16812600?source=rss

chazoe60
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I really like this cat.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Give Eric Studesville credit.

As he sat across a table from some of the Broncos' most high-profile players Wednesday morning, he knew what was going on behind the eyes looking back at him.

"Most of this morning was them kind of looking at me, trying to figure out what I'm thinking," Studesville said. "Who is this guy I see sitting in front of me that I see in the lunch room, and now all of a sudden he's the head football coach?"

After the whirlwind firing of coach Josh McDaniels and Studesville's promotion from running backs coach to interim head coach this week, Studesville settled into his first day in front of the team as the Broncos began preparing for Arizona.

Studesville met with the captains early Wednesday and led the team meeting as he worked his way through the team's usual schedule before the Broncos took the field for an afternoon practice. The 43-year-old coach emphasized enthusiasm and effort. He told the players he wants them to be "excited" to come to work.

rest of article http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16812600

HORSEPOWER 56
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
And...

He's letting the DC run the defense. I like him better than the last guy already. Oh, his pressers don't suck, either.

Juriga72
12-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Is his new role that of towel boy? Because if you think these vets will "Play for him"...LOL

I am VERY afraid of Arizona.... and tells you everything you need to know.

Dzone
12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I think the guy is stepping up to the plate. You gotta like his warrior mentality. You dont sense any hesitancy with Studesville...Hes like "heres what we need to do, lets go!"...none of that lip smacking mcdaniels crap

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Is his new role that of towel boy? Because if you think these vets will "Play for him"...LOL

I have always been someone who prefers to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and yes I do believe the team will play for him.

Lancane
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Don't think too little of him Juriga, because Jim Fassel, Elway's friend and mentor brought Studesville into the pro's, under Sean Payton who was his offensive coordinator.

;)

Dzone
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
No need to be afraid of Arizona. denver 30 arizona 7...Studesville gets a gatorade bath and a game ball

FanInAZ
12-09-2010, 09:47 PM

They may not play for Studesville, but they better show something if they want to be around next year.

TXBRONC
12-09-2010, 10:00 PM

We'll see but I bet they will because Studesvilles isn't the only auditioning for job so are many of player on the roster.

frauschieze
12-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Tells me nothing. Unless your Studesville in disguise. :hi:

Otherwise, you're just another fan like the rest of us.

jhildebrand
12-09-2010, 10:42 PM

These guys are going to play their tails off! What are you talking about? :confused:

85% of this roster is NEW as in brought here by McD. You don't think they realize that allegience is gone? :confused: Remember all the McD guys touting the # of Shanny guys out of the league stat?

The fact is these players are playing for their jobs and if they aren't playing for a job here they are leaving something on tape for the 31 other teams in the league. You can bet your ass anybody doggin it in the next 4 weeks and the teams around the league will see that and it will result in ceste le vie!

I don't think you could have been more off base!

By the way, if you need anecdotal evidence Dallas is ------> that way

oh and MN is ^ that way.
|
|

sneakers
12-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Is it me or does the guy have a HUGE head?

Lancane
12-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Found this interesting Carol, we know that Fassel's name is coming up more and more as the possible replacement for McDaniels.

Bill Williamson posted this on his ESPN Blog -

Denver interim coach Eric Studesville said one of the many calls of congratulations he received this week was from former Giants head coach Jim Fassel. Studesville was on Fassel’s staff. Fassel’s name has come up as a potential replacement for Josh McDaniels, who Denver fired this week.

I've been wondering...but if Studesville does alright, could we see a combination of Studesville and Fassel, one as the Head Coach and the other as the Assistant Head Coach. It's food for thought.

Juriga72
12-10-2010, 11:32 AM
WHY am I worried about him and this week?
I think that because Studs has done such a great job with the running backs this year... Oh wait.

The players have said that Josh "did such a great job of prep work for us, we knew what was going to happen befoire it did" and they still couldn't make the plays.. Of course having illegal video will help out IN that prep work. Now, do we really think its going to be this same high level of prep work getting done this week?

NOW..... Studs will go from position coach to head guy in one week. I really think that at the first sign of trouble its going to get ugly...

CoachChaz
12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I think that because Studs has done such a great job with the running backs this year... Oh wait.

The players have said that Josh "did such a great job of prep work for us, we knew what was going to happen befoire it did" and they still couldn't make the plays.. Of course having illegal video will help out IN that prep work. Now, do we really think its going to be this same high level of prep work getting done this week?

NOW..... Studs will go from position coach to head guy in one week. I really think that at the first sign of trouble its going to get ugly...

Moreno has carried the ball more than 15 times in only 3 games this season and in those 3 games he has ammassed about half of his total rushing yards for the season. Studesville wasnt calling the plays then, but do you really foresee a running backs coach NOT calling running plays as a head coach?

Between McD's offense and always playing from behind...I dont think we've really had a chance to see what Studes has or has not been able to accomplish. If the small taste we had is any indication...I think we'll be alright

NightTrainLayne
12-10-2010, 12:01 PM

On the contrary I think he might surprise us all.

Of course, I have no crystal ball, and no inside knowledge, but this could just as easily work out opposite of your prediction.

1. This guy isn't pretentious, and admitted right up front that he's not going to change anything, and he's going to rely on his coaches and team leaders to get the job done.

That may have been McD's worst trait. The micro-managing that he did. He had a whole staff of coaches that he chose, and he never let them really do their jobs (e.g. that's why Nolan's gone).

McD didn't trust anyone else to run his "master plan". From top to bottom there has been nearly universal praise for McD's football IQ and his attention to detail in prepping the team. The problem is that he couldn't let go of any of those details and let the "master plan" actually unfold. Instead of setting his coaches and leaders loose to do their job, he tried to do it all. That breeds not only resentment, but failure just as much as not giving any direction at all.

2. Look at the Steeler's hiring of Mike Tomlin. He retained virtually all of Cowher's assistants, and largely left all of the schemes in tact. Some criticism was levelled that Tomlin didn't really do anything. That he was just a figure-head much like Barry Switzer was perceived when taking over for Jimmy Johnson at Dallas. But there was actually some smarts in doing that. Cowher had a first-rate staff, and Tomlin was smart enough just to let them do their work.

I'm by no means comparing our staff to the Steeler's staff, but we do have some good coaches. I think McCoy has a lot of untapped talent that McD was not using (especially in utilizing the ground game like he used to at Carolina). Wink has shown some flashes, and some good game-planning (I hope that wasn't all McD).

3. Players are going to be motivated. Their livelihood is on the line, and they are auditioning for jobs starting 3 days ago.

4. Coaches are going to be motivated: see also 3.

Who knows which way it will turn out, but I see more indications that we will look better this last four weeks than indications that we will look worse.

slim
12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Moreno has carried the ball more than 15 times in only 3 games this season and in those 3 games he has ammassed about half of his total rushing yards for the season. Studesville wasnt calling the plays then, but do you really foresee a running backs coach NOT calling running plays as a head coach?

Between McD's offense and always playing from behind...I dont think we've really had a chance to see what Studes has or has not been able to accomplish. If the small taste we had is any indication...I think we'll be alright

Well, he will not be calling the plays. But hopefully McCoy understands the benefit of a balanced offense.

Elevation inc
12-10-2010, 12:11 PM

We miss when you dont post more coach...refreshing to say the least:beer:

NightTrainLayne
12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, he will not be calling the plays. But hopefully McCoy understands the benefit of a balanced offense.

Remember "thunder and lightning" (Jonathan Stewart & Deangelo Williams) at Carolina when McCoy was the OC?

McCoy knows how important the run game is.

Juriga72
12-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Of course, I have no crystal ball, and no inside knowledge, but this could just as easily work out opposite of your prediction.

1. This guy isn't pretentious, and admitted right up front that he's not going to change anything, and he's going to rely on his coaches and team leaders to get the job done.

That may have been McD's worst trait. The micro-managing that he did. He had a whole staff of coaches that he chose, and he never let them really do their jobs (e.g. that's why Nolan's gone).

McD didn't trust anyone else to run his "master plan". From top to bottom there has been nearly universal praise for McD's football IQ and his attention to detail in prepping the team. The problem is that he couldn't let go of any of those details and let the "master plan" actually unfold. Instead of setting his coaches and leaders loose to do their job, he tried to do it all. That breeds not only resentment, but failure just as much as not giving any direction at all.

2. Look at the Steeler's hiring of Mike Tomlin. He retained virtually all of Cowher's assistants, and largely left all of the schemes in tact. Some criticism was levelled that Tomlin didn't really do anything. That he was just a figure-head much like Barry Switzer was perceived when taking over for Jimmy Johnson at Dallas. But there was actually some smarts in doing that. Cowher had a first-rate staff, and Tomlin was smart enough just to let them do their work.

I'm by no means comparing our staff to the Steeler's staff, but we do have some good coaches. I think McCoy has a lot of untapped talent that McD was not using (especially in utilizing the ground game like he used to at Carolina). Wink has shown some flashes, and some good game-planning (I hope that wasn't all McD).

3. Players are going to be motivated. Their livelihood is on the line, and they are auditioning for jobs starting 3 days ago.

Who knows which way it will turn out, but I see more indications that we will look better this last four weeks than indications that we will look worse.

I really hope so... NOW of course Cox being... well...MAYBE gone might just be yet another big hit.

As for the end of the year 'Playing for their jobs"..... WHy dear lord...WHY didnt they feel this say....6 weeks ago..lmao

OrangeHoof
12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I have no idea how Studs will do as a coach but if he makes some good sideline calls and the team gets on a roll, he may just be the Tom Brady of head coaches that just needed an opportunity. I wish him well.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I have no idea how Studs will do as a coach but if he makes some good sideline calls and the team gets on a roll, he may just be the Tom Brady of head coaches that just needed an opportunity. I wish him well.

Even if the team doesn't win out, as long as it looks like were playing with some heart and are trying win, not lose, I would be happy.

If Studesville does his best, he would likely earn a job with the next regime in a higher capacity then just as a positional coach. We have to also understand that he's not calling plays either offensively or defensively, McCoy and Martindale are coaching in auditions as well, for a position either here or elsewhere after the season.

The head coach candidate that I believe is the odds on favorite for the position after the season is likely to keep Studesville as an assistant head coach.

chazoe60
12-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Even if the team doesn't win out, as long as it looks like were playing with some heart and are trying win, not lose, I would be happy.

If Studesville does his best, he would likely earn a job with the next regime in a higher capacity then just as a positional coach. We have to also understand that he's not calling plays either offensively or defensively, McCoy and Martindale are coaching in auditions as well, for a position either here or elsewhere after the season.

The head coach candidate that I believe is the odds on favorite for the position after the season is likely to keep Studesville as an assistant head coach.

And just who might that be?

Cugel
12-11-2010, 11:55 AM

100% agree! :beer: It can't look worse. It MIGHT be better.

At least the weight of doom is lifted and the players can go out and try and have some FUN for a change!

That's why they play the game, and losing and having your coach a tea-kettle ready to explode at any point -- scowling and pacing -- that's NOT fun.

Right now, he's gone, and all expectations are OFF.

Look what happened in Dallas when they got rid of Wade Phillips! The players responded with relief -- the question mark hanging over all of theme was suddenly gone.

They went on a tear.

Now Dallas is a MUCH more talented team but they could at least beat Arizona and I expect them to do it.

Juriga72
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM

How is it look so far?

Juriga72
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I think we can end the "We are better off with Studes as coach next year" talk...

Dirk
12-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I think we can end the "We are better off with Studes as coach next year" talk...

I don't think Studes will be the HC next year. I'm not sure if anyone really did. I think it was more of the rebound effect from McD and hoping it would get better.

Juriga72
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think Studes will be the HC next year. I'm not sure if anyone really did. I think it was more of the rebound effect from McD and hoping it would get better.

I have to ask myself again..... "Can it get worse"???

i really don't know....... seriously