PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Lloyd fastest in the NFL????

Elevation inc
12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
hmm interesting article about it for sure...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Who-s-the-NFL-s-fastest-receiver-?urn=nfl-293467

During the Week 13 "Sunday Night Football" tilt between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens, Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth hypothesized that Steelers receiver Mike Wallace(notes) was the NFL's fastest at his position. It's an easy assumption to make when you see Wallace play; there are very few players in the league who can get downfield to make an impact play as quickly as he can.

But it got us thinking of what might be the best way to measure legitimate receiver speed. We could go by the 40-yard dash times players ran at the scouting combines and at their pro days, but players not wearing pads on varying surfaces? That doesn't really fit the bill when it comes to actual football speed. Perhaps the best way to measure speed that has in-game value is to see which receivers are asked to create the highest number of yards per completion before they even catch the ball -- or, in this case, right when they do catch it. Looking at what we might call "Air Yards" -- the number of yards a ball travels between the time it leaves the quarterback's hand and the moment a receiver catches it -- seems to be a good indicator.

By that standard, Michaels and Collinsworth were almost right; and Wallace does lead the league with 21.7 yards per reception. But for pure downfield speed to catch, one guy stands alone.

Brandon Lloyd(notes), Denver Broncos (16.3 Air Yards per catch)

T.K.O.
12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
cool then we should win a lot of games......oh wait;)
he is definately one of the better signings by a certain former HC though.
hope we get the rest of the pieces put together in time for a much improved 2011:beer:

I Eat Staples
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
DeSean Jackson is the fastest receiver in the NFL.

In fact, I heard he recently beat Chris Johson out as the fastest player in the NFL. If anyone can confirm this with a source I'd appreciate it, because I can't. And I heard it from an Eagles fan so it might not be true.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think anyone really knows and unless you lined them all up next you each other and said "go" you still wouldn't know for sure. Some guys would smoke others for the first 10-15 yards and then would be overtaken. It would be interesting to have them all run a 100 yd dash with split times every ten yards to see who's the fastest, quickest accelerator, etc.

Desean Jackson is very fast, but I have yet to see anyone who looks like he's going as fast on the field as CJ2K. Andre Johnson is hella fast for being so big and so is Megatron, our very own Lloyd and Thomas are burners, too and I think Royal would be in the top 25% out to about 20 yards based on pure quickness. T.O. and Moss can still get deep in a hurry and not really look like they're trying hard.

Who knows?

I Eat Staples
12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Desean Jackson is very fast, but I have yet to see anyone who looks like he's going as fast on the field as CJ2K.

I agree. Jamaal Charles is also very fast, like Chris Johnson Jr.

T.K.O.
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
it's Tebow....but nobody knows it yet:D

cuzz4169
12-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Next year none of those guys will be the fastest....Florida Gators RB Jeffrey Demps will be the fastest player in the NFL..National Champ in the 100m dash and runs a 4.24 in the 40 without training for the 40....cant wait to see his 40 time. I like him and Chris Rainey from Florida. Chris Rainey is super fast too. Jeff Demps could be a sleeper in the draft...didn't play much this year bc of foot injury...last yr played but Tebow was qb/rb...The kid runs like Chris Johnson surprising power in between the tackles.

Juriga72
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Jeffrey Demps is so fast he already has three kids... meaning he should catch Travis Henry by the end of his rookie year.

I keed... I keed

EMB6903
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Chris Johnson clocked a 4.24 at the combine a couple years ago.. and he doesnt dissapoint when in pads hes just as fast... Dude looks like hes jogging hes so smooth.

Id say the fastest WR's are Jacoby Ford, Desean Jackson, and Tedd Ginn Jr. in no certain order.

BroncoWave
12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
That's just so hard to gauge, even comparing 40 times. Speed during the game in pads doesn't always correlate to the 40 times. Jerry Rice never ran the fastest 40 but when he was on the field and running from a DB he rarely got caught.

KCL
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
McCluster is pretty fast...maybe not as fast as some of the players mentioned in this thread but he is fast.

BroncoWave
12-09-2010, 07:39 PM
McCluster is pretty fast...maybe not as fast as some of the players mentioned in this thread but he is fast.

Being from Mississippi I saw in play alot in college, and a couple of times in person. He is definitely super fast.

I hate that he went from my most hated college team to my most hated NFL team though because he is a great guy and I really wanted to root for him! :D

HORSEPOWER 56
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Being from Mississippi I saw in play alot in college, and a couple of times in person. He is definitely super fast.

I hate that he went from my most hated college team to my most hated NFL team though because he is a great guy and I really wanted to root for him! :D

Yeah, I was big McCluster fan in college (not an Ole Miss fan though). He's a baller...

CrazyHorse
12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Who wants to bet Jeff Demps gets drafted by the Raiders?

I Eat Staples
12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I actually like Demps. Dude has straight up speed and that will be enough for him to see the field.