PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Elway could be back in business

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
In a perfect world, Broncos executive John Elway would hoist the Super Bowl trophy and proclaim: "This one's for Pat."

The Hall of Fame quarterback, who led the Broncos to five Super Bowl appearances and won them in his final two seasons, soon could be reunited with owner Pat Bowlen and the franchise in an official capacity, although that role, and its scope, has not yet been defined.

One job Elway will not hold — head coach.

One task Elway definitely would have is becoming a mentor to young quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16812599

BroncoStud
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Cool. Elway is the man.

SoCalImport
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Has Pat had any dealings with Elway in his capacity as a business man? Since his retirement that is.
From my limited knowledge all I can see is John being a "consultant" in some aspect of player personell.
His biggest impact would most likely come from just being around, talking to the younger players we have and will have in the future.
Elway is a legend and can have the teams ear any time he wants it. SO as an inspirational/motivational type figure to have around, he's priceless.

SOCALORADO.
12-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Has Pat had any dealings with Elway in his capacity as a business man? Since his retirement that is.
From my limited knowledge all I can see is John being a "consultant" in some aspect of player personell.
His biggest impact would most likely come from just being around, talking to the younger players we have and will have in the future.
Elway is a legend and can have the teams ear any time he wants it. SO as an inspirational/motivational type figure to have around, he's priceless.

Did Pat have any buisness dealing with Josh Mcdaniels or Eliis or Xanders before they came on board?
Whats that got to do with anything?
John Elway is a successful buisnessman in many areas including proffesional sports. He also was the most successful QB in the NFL of all time.
Success and a will to win wont stop Elway if he became VP of football operations or some close capacity.
I am extremelly glad that John is coming back, and i think he will eventually be the VP.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 02:04 PM

There could be more, but this one for sure:

Colorado Crush ownership
In 2003 Elway was part of an ownership group that included Pat Bowlen owner of the Denver Broncos and Stan Kroenke owner of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and part owner of the St. Louis Rams to purchase an expansion team in the Arena Football League.

http://www.mahalo.com/john-elway

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Just listening to Mike Klis on the ticket with CJ.

He said that John Elway WILL be with the Broncos' organization, so that is Step 1.

Klis then said that John will be the layer between Bowlen & Ellis.

John will be involved in picking the GM and then the HC. - GM FIRST, THEN HC

Stated again that the Broncos will NOT be ran by the HC.

Lancane
12-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Just listening to Mike Klis on the ticket with CJ.

He said that John Elway WILL be with the Broncos' organization, so that is Step 1.

Klis then said that John will be the layer between Bowlen & Ellis.

John will be involved in picking the GM and then the HC. - GM FIRST, THEN HC

Stated again that the Broncos will NOT be ran by the HC.

That's good to hear Carol, and I should say thanks...we all should, you are always on the ball when posting the solid tidbits from articles.

:beer:

I'm glad to hear that Bowlen is getting people into place, and those he feels comfortable with. The fact that Elway is going to be in on the General Manager and Head Coach search is promising.

One thing I might add, two former Bronco coaches are linked to the current staff, not sure it will play a factor...but Brian Xanders worked closely with Dan Reeves in Atlanta and Studesville was the running back coach for Fassel when he was the head coach in New York.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I also find it interesting, if what Klis said turns out to be fact, is that John will be the LAYER between Bowlen and Ellis - is that saying that Bowlen is not happy with what Ellis has done in the past? A few days ago, I heard on one of the sports shows that Bowlen's kids want him to get RID of Ellis. Again, truth or not?

Lancane
12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I also find it interesting, if what Klis said turns out to be fact, is that John will be the LAYER between Bowlen and Ellis - is that saying that Bowlen is not happy with what Ellis has done in the past? A few days ago, I heard on one of the sports shows that Bowlen's kids want him to get RID of Ellis. Again, truth or not?

I believe John is going to end up the Vice Executive Officer/Advisor of Football Operations & Personnel, that would place him as Bowlen's right hand man.

Not long back I wrote a couple posts, if you remember about how Ellis orchestrated a coup d'état within the organization. Bowlen had met with McDaniels once, but Ellis had met with him two or three times, he's the one who sold Bowlen on him, of that I am absolutely positive. So McDaniels is named the head coach, and at this point there is no coup, but Josh McDaniels wants his guys, it's his team and he wants to be the reason for wins or losses, after all, he is replacing one of the best coaches of the last two decades and if he can be a bit reckless and win his way, then people will forget who he's replacing...

The problem was there were three people standing in his way, Jeremy Bates and the Goodmans, especially Jim Goodman who was likely to be named General Manager, Cutler had Bowlen's ear and I don't think McDaniels liked that one bit, he was the leader of this franchise now...he wanted players that looked only to him, sort of a god complex if you will. Cutler wanted Bates, so let's upset him by getting rid of him, after all...what made McCoy any better then Bates as the offensive coordinator, they both had very similar resumes after all? Goodman was the other obstacle in his way, he wouldn't let McDaniels pull the trades he wanted, Josh knew as much...so he goes to Ellis, tells Ellis that Goodman is too difficult but Xanders, who was in over his head would go along with what he wanted, so Ellis took it to Bowlen. He thought he had the personnel around him that he could trust to run the day to day operations, but whether knowingly or not, those three had started the coup d'état. McDaniels can now try and trade Cutler, he hears about it, so put the blame on Cutler and lie...but it's easy to see how this came to be, they fire Bates, he's already upset about Shanahan, then let it leak about the trade, try to set a trade up for someone he wants, do not give him a guarantee when he asks for it, therein placing more blame on him...but now, Cutler tries to talk with Bowlen, but with Ellis in the mix? He could have said anything to blow him off, it was too much for Bowlen to fix and forced the issue. The same with several of the other trades...Pat Bowlen wanted Marshall to stay, think about it all.

And we've mentioned a rat inside the organization, what if it was Xanders? It makes a lot of sense, he was privy to most of what McDaniels did. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen's kids told him of what they were hearing from the fans about Ellis, McDaniels and Xanders in regards to it all...and as I said it makes sense, Xanders was the expendable one of the three, blame the incompetence of the General Manager with little experience in that field. Bowlen asks to speak with Xanders, letting him know what he has heard from outside sources...so Xanders basically confesses everything. Why not wait the last four weeks of the season before firing McDaniels? They were not blaming it on the video scandal, it was not over not starting Tebow either. I think Xanders spilled the beans on a lot more then just a petty video scandal, and I think what Bowlen heard basically pissed him off to no end. Ellis was humbled at the news conference when introducing Studesville...especially in regards to questions about Elway. It would not surprise me if Ellis did end up being fired and say Xanders was then named Chief Operations Officer, there is more to it.