PDA

View Full Version : NFL eyes extension of season: The next collective-bargaining agreement in 2011 could bring in an 18-game regular season

Tned
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I didn't see this posted, even though it was from a couple days ago:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10310155

NFL eyes extension of season

The next collective-bargaining agreement in 2011 could bring in an 18-game regular season.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

To the interest of virtually no one, the Broncos will play the Arizona Cardinals in the most meaningless of preseason games Friday night.

Jay Cutler won't play. Champ Bailey won't play. Virtually no Broncos starter will play.

So why play?

The question is no longer a squeamish subject among NFL executives and owners. League management wants to decrease the number of preseason games in exchange for an increase in regular-season games. For scheduling convenience, the preference would be to shift the four preseason/16 regular-season split that has existed since 1978 to two games in the preseason and 18 in the regular season.

Most likely, the 18-game schedule will be part of the new collective-bargaining agreement for the 2011 season.

"I'm not a big fan of preseason," said Bailey, the Broncos' top defensive player. "Sixteen (regular-season games), I think, is enough, but four preseason games is too many."

The 18-game season would seem to help fans get their money's worth. Although star players rarely play more than half of a preseason game and sometimes don't play at all — Bailey will have played all of one half this preseason — fans are nevertheless charged regular-season prices for tickets, parking and concessions.

It helps explain why the Broncos averaged 12,183 no-shows for their two preseason home games this year, even though their opponents were the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers, arguably the league's two most popular teams.

Growing the pie

Expanding the regular season was first presented by commissioner Roger Goodell earlier this year and more recently received the endorsement of New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen likes the idea of expanding the regular season but reserved comment.

The owners see those empty seats in August — and a collective-bargaining agreement that surrenders 59.5 percent of the revenue to the players — and start thinking of ways to make more revenue. Playing football through February is one place to start.

"We have to grow the pie," Kraft told the Boston Globe. "The biggest way of quickly growing the pie is in the media area. The feeling is that we would get greater revenue for media if we had more regular- season games."

Such an expansion would require consent from the NFL Players Association, which suddenly lost its leader, Gene Upshaw, last week to cancer. The players figure to have two major concerns: the potential increased risk of injury and the expected increase in pay.

Currently, rookies receive $800 a week during the preseason and literally play the exhibition games for free. Non- rookies are paid $200 a preseason game and $1,225 per week.

GEM
08-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I didn't see this posted, even though it was from a couple days ago:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10310155

Let's hope that works out. I was listening to Sirius and they were talkin about that. The injuries to players in the preseason is causing the look into this. I'd much rather be looking at 18 games in a season than a lockout in 2011.

Tned
08-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Let's hope that works out. I was listening to Sirius and they were talkin about that. The injuries to players in the preseason is causing the look into this. I'd much rather be looking at 18 games in a season than a lockout in 2011.

I'm mixed.

First, if a player is going to get hurt, he is going to get hurt, regular or pre-season.

Second, and more important, is the records. The 2,000 yard barrier for instance will start getting shattered with regularity. The historical/statistical side of football should be a consideration.

MOtorboat
08-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm mixed.

First, if a player is going to get hurt, he is going to get hurt, regular or pre-season.

Second, and more important, is the records. The 2,000 yard barrier for instance will start getting shattered with regularity. The historical/statistical side of football should be a consideration.

Tned, did you hear, they used to play 14 games...

I don't think that matters, personally.

18 games is a compromise with the owners about money, and that's all it really is. The owners don't want to give up two games, and they realize that added another two games that are in the regular season will add revenue, as well. As popular as the NFL is, this would be a good move. Capitalize on that popularity now.

BroncoWave
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the 18 game schedule. There will definitely be plenty of records shattered.

MOtorboat
08-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the 18 game schedule. There will definitely be plenty of records shattered.

The passing records are already being shattered...:coffee:

Tned
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Tned, did you hear, they used to play 14 games...

I don't think that matters, personally.

18 games is a compromise with the owners about money, and that's all it really is. The owners don't want to give up two games, and they realize that added another two games that are in the regular season will add revenue, as well. As popular as the NFL is, this would be a good move. Capitalize on that popularity now.

Yes, I know, but we have 30 years or so of modern records with 16 games. If the season goes to 18 games (which the stat issue aside, I would love to see two more real Broncos' games), there will be no direct comparisons capable of comparing stats before and after the change.

Baseball did it with the change from 154 to 162 games, which it obviously survived, but it then lessens future records, or at least complicates them when you have to * whether or not the record was broken in the same number of games as the earlier records.

Broncos Mtnman
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I think it stinks.

Goodell is only looking into this so he can expand his "international" games without affecting existing season ticket holders.

Personally, I don't think the owners will go for it. Preseason income is higher because the it doesn't fall under the revenue sharing guidelines. In other words, they get to keep more of the gate than they do during the regular season. When added to the fact that the players aren't paid extra for preseason, it's very profitable for the owners.

Also, I agree with tned. It will mess with the records.

BroncoWave
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I think it stinks.

Goodell is only looking into this so he can expand his "international" games without affecting existing season ticket holders.

Personally, I don't think the owners will go for it. Preseason income is higher because the it doesn't fall under the revenue sharing guidelines. In other words, they get to keep more of the gate than they do during the regular season. When added to the fact that the players aren't paid extra for preseason, it's very profitable for the owners.

Also, I agree with tned. It will mess with the records.

That, and the scheduling symmetry and balance with 16 games works out perfectly. Adding 2 extra games would mess that up.

Lonestar
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
hell I want t see football real FOOTBALL none of the pre season bovine excrement..

When on the field they should be playing at full speed.. playing against scrubs IMO causes injuries.. not playing flat out is nuts..

I could give a rats rectum about records when they went from 8 games or whatever they had back when it was founded to 10, 12 and then 14 the records fell.. Records are meant to be broken.

I do not see the players going for it.. for the most part the vets only see perhaps a full games playing over the four games any way..

topscribe
08-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm mixed.

I don't like so many games. IMO, they ought to keep a 16-game regular
season and shorten preseason to two games.

-----

BroncoWave
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't like so many games. IMO, they ought to keep a 16-game regular
season and shorten preseason to two games.

-----

This is the perfect choice IMO, but the owners will never do it because they will lose the profit from those 2 preseason games.

sneakers
08-31-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm mixed.

That is the thing I don't like about it......18 game season means that 5000 yard passing seasons, and 60 td passing seasons will be possible for good QBs, that will do what steroids did to baseballs home run records.

Jerz
08-31-2008, 03:31 AM
I could care less about the schedule honestly I just hope they talk about ways of not going into a strike season again. Dnt think I could handle that again

Stargazer
08-31-2008, 04:38 AM
I am all for it.

Npba900
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm mixed.

Tned, I'm in agreement. I don't like the direction the NFL is going in lately. Starting with the salary cap, owners-coaches who build winning team thru the draft are penalized b/c they sign their super stars and key players. Gone are the rivalries the NFL had btwn organizations who knew how to build winning teams w/o the worry of watching the teams dismantled due to salary cap issues.

Gone are the rivalries that the fans enjoyed back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. What this does in the end is it breeds too much parity thru out the league. Despite of the salary cap and FA, some teams are just perennial losers! Teams like the Lions and Cardinals come to mind. Despite all he parity experienced thru out the NFL, these two teams haven't even sniffed the SB!!!

Adding two more games to the regular season only further plays into the carnival side show the NFL is starting to drift towards. Teams are now diluted of talent b/c IMHO there are to many teams in the NFL, make that about 6 teams to many.

Then you add in the 53 man roster, this rule only plays into the hand that now teams/coaches can no longer develop and keep talent and it severely impedes the depth teams can add to their roster. If the NFL increases from 16 to 18 games, perhaps owners need to also agree to increasing their rosters from 53 to 63! Due to increase likelihood of injuries and players getting worn down once the playoffs start.

The NFL over the past 15 years has added rules that benefit the offense side of the ball, thus severely limiting what the Defensive side of the ball are allowed to do. All in the name of increasing scoring to placate to the fans who do not understand the history of game.:tsk:

Now, QB's and WR's are able to break or set records b/c of rules changes that help their position. Many of the records broken were initially set during a 12 or 14 game season. Now you add 4 more games (an 18 game schedule) and the records broken are not really that big of an accomplishment.

The NFL has managed to put a great product out there and the fans of today love and enjoy the NFL to no end. However, where do the owners draw the line? I'd like to see the NFL refvert back to the 1980's and let the chips fall where they may.

Tned
08-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Tned, I'm in agreement. I don't like the direction the NFL is going in lately. Starting with the salary cap, owners-coaches who build winning team thru the draft are penalized b/c they sign their super stars and key players. Gone are the rivalries the NFL had btwn organizations who knew how to build winning teams w/o the worry of watching the teams dismantled due to salary cap issues.

Gone are the rivalries that the fans enjoyed back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. What this does in the end is it breeds too much parity thru out the league. Despite of the salary cap and FA, some teams are just perennial losers! Teams like the Lions and Cardinals come to mind. Despite all he parity experienced thru out the NFL, these two teams haven't even sniffed the SB!!!

Adding two more games to the regular season only further plays into the carnival side show the NFL is starting to drift towards. Teams are now diluted of talent b/c IMHO there are to many teams in the NFL, make that about 6 teams to many.

Then you add in the 53 man roster, this rule only plays into the hand that now teams/coaches can no longer develop and keep talent and it severely impedes the depth teams can add to their roster. If the NFL increases from 16 to 18 games, perhaps owners need to also agree to increasing their rosters from 53 to 63! Due to increase likelihood of injuries and players getting worn down once the playoffs start.

The NFL over the past 15 years has added rules that benefit the offense side of the ball, thus severely limiting what the Defensive side of the ball are allowed to do. All in the name of increasing scoring to placate to the fans who do not understand the history of game.:tsk:

Now, QB's and WR's are able to break or set records b/c of rules changes that help their position. Many of the records broken were initially set during a 12 or 14 game season. Now you add 4 more games (an 18 game schedule) and the records broken are not really that big of an accomplishment.

The NFL has managed to put a great product out there and the fans of today love and enjoy the NFL to no end. However, where do the owners draw the line? I'd like to see the NFL refvert back to the 1980's and let the chips fall where they may.

Nice post.

On your 'rules helping offense' section. I did a post shortly after the season, when a bunch of people were posting how great a season Cutler had, and pointed out that about 2/3 of the starting QBs had 'great' seasons. The passing yards, completion percentage, YPC and some other stats were so elevated last season, that journeyman type QBs had as good or better years than Aikmen, Marino, Young, and other great QB's 'best' years.

A change in the contact rules, along with offensive coaches coming up with game plans to take advantage of the handicapped DBs, has led to a 'juiced ball' type era when it comes to QB stats.

Add two more games and we will have some insane QB records being set.