PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: Myth of the Assistant

Northman
12-08-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/12/07/10/McDaniels-the-latest-failure-of-myth-of-/landing.html?blockID=368472&feedID=7804

Ive been bringing this up for a while now. Somehow someway people got it in their heads that every disciple from the McD tree were going to be successful yet the facts are the facts. Sometimes your only good at one thing and for Josh its being an OC.

On Monday, the 3-9 Broncos finally came to their senses and decided that a combination of terrible on-field results, questionable talent evaluation and an inability to manage the personalities in the locker room merited firing Josh McDaniels.

Nobody should have been surprised by this, and yet plenty of people are.
Why is that?

Two words: Bill Belichick.

Everyone assumed that because Belichick thought that McDaniels was smart enough to be his offensive coordinator, then, by golly, he MUST be smart enough to be a head coach.

Never mind that it takes a different skill set to be the head man, that NFL coaches must convey an aura of conviction, leadership, toughness, and respect to succeed – and that the youngest and perhaps least qualified head coach in NFL history either completely lacked those qualities or hadn’t been in the game long enough to develop them. As Wade Phillips demonstrated entirely too well, some of the best coordinators flounder once they’re running the show.

scott.475
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
That was a concern I had when he was first hired, that NO ONE from Bill's staff has had success on their own. I don't remember who, but someone here even challenged me on it, saying something along the lines of "Should no one from his staff get a chance, just because no one from his staff has been successful before?" I hold no grudge about that, but there is just some kind of corporate/cultural dynamic in the Pats organization that breeds amazing success there but not anywhere else. Tom Brady may be 80% of it, but whatever it is, it hasn't worked in a single other place it has been tried. I think, after this debacle, anyone from Bill's staff will be hard pressed to be given a HC job anywhere else in the league, this may be the final nail in that coffin.

Northman
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
That was a concern I had when he was first hired, that NO ONE from Bill's staff has had success on their own. I don't remember who, but someone here even challenged me on it, saying something along the lines of "Should no one from his staff get a chance, just because no one from his staff has been successful before?" I hold no grudge about that, but there is just some kind of corporate/cultural dynamic in the Pats organization that breeds amazing success there but not anywhere else. Tom Brady may be 80% of it, but whatever it is, it hasn't worked in a single other place it has been tried. I think, after this debacle, anyone from Bill's staff will be hard pressed to be given a HC job anywhere else in the league, this may be the final nail in that coffin.

Well, the funny thing is Mangini is really the only one to have any moderate success as far as winning an losing is concerned. And now, when the Browns actually get a guy to run things with Holmgren all of a sudden things are looking up for the Browns. So even if you were someone who was going to take the stance on whether or not Mcd will be successful, the fact that he got so much power to begin with was baffling. That is something you need to earn, not be given.

TXBRONC
12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Well, the funny thing is Mangini is really the only one to have any moderate success as far as winning an losing is concerned. And now, when the Browns actually get a guy to run things with Holmgren all of a sudden things are looking up for the Browns. So even if you were someone who was going to take the stance on whether or not Mcd will be successful, the fact that he got so much power to begin with was baffling. That is something you need to earn, not be given.

I agree that McDaniels was not ready to take on that much responsibility and quite honestly it's probably not a good idea for even a veteran head coach have that kind of responsibility.

Tned
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM

It is possible that he could have been successful as the head coach, however the odds were stacked way against him being the HC and GM.

Northman
12-09-2010, 12:33 AM
It is possible that he could have been successful as the head coach, however the odds were stacked way against him being the HC and GM.

But they were only stacked because he agreed to do it. Shame on him.

Juriga72
12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Looking back at all the "Hot assistants" that have missed..... WOW.

Wanny- utter failure in Chicago and not much better at U of P.
Norv? Yeah...... Washington still hasnt gotten over him there. San Diego?..meh
Romeo, McD, Fat Charley....... yikes
ManGenuis has a spotty at best record....

You have to go back to Gruden, Big Andy, Mooch ( granted flaem out at Detroit tho...), Jim Mora, and John Harbaugh on Holmgrens Green Bay staff..