PDA

View Full Version : Next Broncos coach unlikely to have final say in roster

Denver Native (Carol)
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
There won't be a man behind the curtain, necessarily. But final-say authority will belong to a man upstairs.

For the first time since Pat Bowlen assumed ownership of the Broncos in 1984, the person who makes the final decision on draft picks and roster selections will not be out front holding a news conference every day.

The iron rule of Dan Reeves, the unquestioned power of Mike Shanahan, the autonomous reign of Josh McDaniels will no longer dominate the hallways at the Broncos' headquarters at Dove Valley.

As the Broncos move away from the brief, but disappointing McDaniels era, the football operations department will follow the league norm and essentially hire a general manger to pick the roster and have someone else coach the roster.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncosci_16803268?source=rss

Juriga72
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
WHO shot JR??? I need to know.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
If it holds true, it would be wonderful!

Northman
12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
So does that mean it will actually be a GM or Bowlen himself?

Day1BroncoFan
12-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Hope this turns out to be a good thing and it should if they hire the right people.

Juriga72
12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
So does that mean it will actually be a GM or Bowlen himself?

Can Pat do this on a day to day basis?

Either way..."Since 1984" thats a long time for one person to hold that much power.

Rick
12-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Didn't we hear this after Shanny was fired?

dogfish
12-08-2010, 08:39 PM

yes. . .

it's at least encouraging that they're making noise about it again. . . maybe, just maybe they actually learned their lesson this time. . . mcdaniels certainly gave them a graphic enough example. . . all we can do is hope it's the truth this time, not more posturing. . .

I Eat Staples
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Replace Xanders with someone who knows what talent looks like.

Bosco
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Yep.

Replace Xanders with someone who knows what talent looks like. Better idea would be to keep him on as assistant GM/cap guy, the job which he currently does and by all accounts is pretty good at.

Lancane
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Yep.

Better idea would be to keep him on as assistant GM/cap guy, the job which he currently does and by all accounts is pretty good at.

I think Brian Xanders will probably become Ellis' assistant in regards to Football Operations, and an advisor in that same sense, not just in regards daily operations but also in other facets as well.

I've mentioned Dan Reeves as a name of interest in regards to the General Manager position, Xanders could be the reason his name is brought up, after all...he's one of Reeves' boys, they worked closely in Atlanta for years.

I Eat Staples
12-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Better idea would be to keep him on as assistant GM/cap guy, the job which he currently does and by all accounts is pretty good at.

I'd be fine with that.

dogfish
12-08-2010, 10:23 PM

i tend to agree with that. . . i do understand the general sentiment to clear out the entire FO, and i'm not going to cry if xanders is included in that-- we can get another cap guy-- but to me it kind of smacks of punishing him for mcdaniels' personnel mistakes. . .

i suppose we'll never know for sure, but i've always assumed that xanders' role in selecting personnel was pretty limited-- it was always my impression that mcdaniels was directly in control. . . it's certainly no accident that we brought in so many players from new england, and it's pretty clear whose stamp that is, at any rate. . .

if my belief that xanders is mostly a cap and contract guy is correct, i'd say he's done a pretty good job of it. . . we've signed a shit-ton of relatively high picks the last two years with a minimum of fuss, and brought in a ton of FAs as well. . . i did think we overpaid a bit for goodman, and gave dawk too many years, but that stuff is pretty trivial. . .

the kuper deal was a fantastic piece of work, very team-friendly. . . of course, the dumervil extension is by far the biggest deal xanders has done, and i thought that was handled pretty professionally overall. . . given the circumstances. . . and the orton extension was smart, and has proven to be a blessing all things considered (thanks tim). . . the way the bailey negotiation was broken off was disappointing, but my understanding is that came from ellis or bowlen himself. . .

i don't know who negotiated the cutler and marshall trades, but i was pretty pleased with the compensation in both cases. . . what we've given up in all those trades to new england is another matter, though. . .

but overall, i'm pretty happy with the way the beancounting has been handled. . . as long we do bring in a legitimate executive vice president of football affairs/director of pro personnel/whatever the title who is clearly the top voice in the organization and xanders' role of GM is strictly limited to the contract work and number-crunching, i wouldn't be opposed to him being retained. . . but IMO, that choice really should be left to whoever the new guy is-- i don't think you bring in a new executive and force him to work with an emasculated token GM unless that's what the new exec wants. . . i'd vastly prefer to let him choose his own cap guy than see more bullshit like the apparent power play that cost us the goodmans. . .

TXBRONC
12-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Replace Xanders with someone who knows what talent looks like.

It wasn't Xanders make the personnel decisons that all on McDaniels.

Elevation inc
12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
i tend to agree with that. . . i do understand the general sentiment to clear out the entire FO, and i'm not going to cry if xanders is included in that-- we can get another cap guy-- but to me it kind of smacks of punishing him for mcdaniels' personnel mistakes. . .

i suppose we'll never know for sure, but i've always assumed that xanders' role in selecting personnel was pretty limited-- it was always my impression that mcdaniels was directly in control. . . it's certainly no accident that we brought in so many players from new england, and it's pretty clear whose stamp that is, at any rate. . .

if my belief that xanders is mostly a cap and contract guy is correct, i'd say he's done a pretty good job of it. . . we've signed a shit-ton of relatively high picks the last two years with a minimum of fuss, and brought in a ton of FAs as well. . . i did think we overpaid a bit for goodman, and gave dawk too many years, but that stuff is pretty trivial. . .

the kuper deal was a fantastic piece of work, very team-friendly. . . of course, the dumervil extension is by far the biggest deal xanders has done, and i thought that was handled pretty professionally overall. . . given the circumstances. . . and the orton extension was smart, and has proven to be a blessing all things considered (thanks tim). . . the way the bailey negotiation was broken off was disappointing, but my understanding is that came from ellis or bowlen himself. . .

i don't know who negotiated the cutler and marshall trades, but i was pretty pleased with the compensation in both cases. . . what we've given up in all those trades to new england is another matter, though. . .

but overall, i'm pretty happy with the way the beancounting has been handled. . . as long we do bring in a legitimate executive vice president of football affairs/director of pro personnel/whatever the title who is clearly the top voice in the organization and xanders' role of GM is strictly limited to the contract work and number-crunching, i wouldn't be opposed to him being retained. . . but IMO, that choice really should be left to whoever the new guy is-- i don't think you bring in a new executive and force him to work with an emasculated token GM unless that's what the new exec wants. . . i'd vastly prefer to let him choose his own cap guy than see more bullshit like the apparent power play that cost us the goodmans. . .

xanders has done wonders with this franchise cap wise...we have more moeny to play with even after all thses picks and FA's becasue of his contract work.....he needs to stay as a cap guy dude is magic with numbers, which many NFL people already knew anyway...giving him the so called GM role was just a way to allow MCD to make the calls because xanders probally just deferred to the football guy(MCD!) being a numbers guy himself and MCD ran with it....:lol:

jlarsiii
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Exactly. I will believe it when I see it actually happen.

Since the franchise managed to give complete control to a coach who had never previously been involved in personnel decisions after stating they would do no such thing, I find it hard to believe that they won't just turn around and do the same thing with the next coach no matter what comes out in the press.