PDA

View Full Version : Broncos indicate next coach won’t have as much authority as McDaniels

T.K.O.
12-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Broncos indicate next coach won’t have as much authority as McDaniels
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 7, 2010, 2:13 PM EST
Broncos fans got their wish: Josh McDaniels is gone. Now comes the hard part.

The Broncos are facing understandable heat about the effectiveness of their owner and the attractiveness of the Broncos job. On Tuesday, COO Joe Ellis and interim head coach Eric Studesville answered pressing questions in the wake of McDaniels’ firing. It was telling owner that Pat Bowlen was not present. Some highlights from the session

1. Ellis indicated the next Broncos head coach would not have the same authority as McDaniels. “We probably burdened Josh with too much responsibility,” Ellis said. He indicated it was “very likely” the team won’t empower the next head coach to have as much responsibility as McDaniels was “burdened” with. That could eliminate already unlikely names such as Bill Cowher.

2. The recent videotaping scandal was “one of many factors” in McDaniels’ dismissal.

3. Ellis wanted to keep any severance package with McDaniels private. He slightly backed off from his statement that the videotaping scandal wasn’t a fireable offense. He didn’t outright dismiss the possibility McDaniels could be fired for cause.

“What I said at the time, where we were on that Saturday — it wasn’t a fireable offense. There were a bunch of factors in the decision . . . it became too overwhelming. I’m not going to single one thing out.”

Still, Ellis kept saying you may hear things from “outside the organization” on McDaniels’ severance package which indicates that story may have legs.

4. Ellis confirmed John Elway is a business consultant with the team and has expressed interest in a growing role on the football side.

more points about coaching etc.... here

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/07/broncos-indicate-next-coach-wont-have-as-much-authority-as-mcdaniels/

Juriga72
12-07-2010, 03:46 PM
This just in......

"When its really cold out and you stick your toungue to a pole..... it stays stuck to the pole"

T.K.O.
12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
This just in......

"When its really cold out and you stick your toungue to a pole..... it stays stuck to the pole"

nice.....but how did you reach your keyboard from outside?:confused:

dogfish
12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
man, talk is SOOOO ****ing cheap on this issue. . . they said the EXACT same shit before hiring mcdaniels, then immediately did a complete 180 and did precisely what they said they wouldn't. . . so it's great to hear FWIW, but what's it's worth is nothing if they don't have the spine to make it stick this time. . .

if they DO make it stick, it's the right choice and about damn time. . .

slim
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I think I have heard this story before.

Juriga72
12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I think I have heard this story before.

Wait..... was it when they hired a 32 year old who had NEVER once been a head coach at any level?

And then handed the keys to him

slim
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Wait..... was it when they hired a 32 year old who had NEVER once been a head coach at any level?

And then handed the keys to him

Yes, I believe that was it.

Tned
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
man, talk is SOOOO ****ing cheap on this issue. . . they said the EXACT same shit before hiring mcdaniels, then immediately did a complete 180 and did precisely what they said they wouldn't. . . so it's great to hear FWIW, but what's it's worth is nothing if they don't have the spine to make it stick this time. . .

I have no doubt that they will start out believing even more adamantly than Jan. '09 the need to not give the head coach full control. However, the real danger is them buying into the next head coach as fully as they did McDaniels and succumbing to the temptation/belief that the best results will be letting him have full control.

Time will tell. It's not even always a bad thing.

scott.475
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
From that same article I saw this post:

"hobartbaker says:
Dec 7, 2010 3:08 PM
“Seniors & Handicapped” Bowlen, and his pet gofer “Joe Boy” Ellis brought this on by throwing Josh under the bus for trying to protect his friend. They took the side of THE RAT who was gnawing on Josh’s back while he tried to do his job.

Consensus seems to be that THE RAT was one of the assistant coachs who got chewed out by Josh for ineptitude. That would turn the flashlight towards ERIC STUDESVILLE position coach of the WORST RUNNING ATTACK in the league, or WINK MARTINDALE postion coach of the WORST DEFENSE in the league as the MOST LIKELY RODENTS.

Pick your poison, or possibly it was both in concert."

Who does that sound EXACTLY LIKE AROUND HERE???? HMMMM???? :lol:

GEM
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
From that same article I saw this post:

"hobartbaker says:
Dec 7, 2010 3:08 PM
“Seniors & Handicapped” Bowlen, and his pet gofer “Joe Boy” Ellis brought this on by throwing Josh under the bus for trying to protect his friend. They took the side of THE RAT who was gnawing on Josh’s back while he tried to do his job.

Consensus seems to be that THE RAT was one of the assistant coachs who got chewed out by Josh for ineptitude. That would turn the flashlight towards ERIC STUDESVILLE position coach of the WORST RUNNING ATTACK in the league, or WINK MARTINDALE postion coach of the WORST DEFENSE in the league as the MOST LIKELY RODENTS.

Pick your poison, or possibly it was both in concert."

Who does that sound EXACTLY LIKE AROUND HERE???? HMMMM???? :lol:

The initials are R E. :lol:

It's funny seeing a sentence with Josh and ineptitude in it describing anyone other than himself.

Tned
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
The initials are R E. :lol:

It's funny seeing a sentence with Josh and ineptitude in it describing anyone other than himself.

Ouch, that's cold. Come on, but for a few personnel mistakes, and leading the Broncos to the worst stretch in four plus decades, Josh brought a lot to the table.

Juriga72
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
It REALLY makes me wonder just how much Pat is left there...... THIS would never have happened ten years ago... Oh wait

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Please mean it this time!!!! :sheep:

BigDaddyBronco
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Well maybe this time Bowlen will not go on a bender right after the coach is hired and forgets what he said about the GM and about Cutler calling him...