PDA

View Full Version : Broncos looking to tighten up run defense

Tned
09-21-2007, 01:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3029628&campaign=rsssrch&source=denver+broncos

Broncos looking to tighten up run defense
Associated Press

Updated: September 20, 2007, 8:15 PM ET

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- John Lynch won't even attempt to use the "it's a new system" spiel any longer.

The season has started and either the Broncos have a grasp of defensive boss Jim Bates' schemes or they don't.

So far, they don't -- at least in the run department. Denver is giving up 156 yards a game, which is 27th in the league.

"We've all been saying it -- it's new, it's new, it's new -- but here we are. It's reality," Lynch said. "We need to tighten up the details."

Bates doesn't think it's time to panic. Even though LaMont Jordan rushed for 159 yards against Denver on Sunday, he's convinced the team just needs to improve on the little things -- like staying in assigned gaps on running plays.

"We've got blistered a couple times," Bates said. "We feel like we can get it solved."

The Broncos host a Jacksonville team Sunday that's known for its running game, but hasn't gotten on track this season. The Jaguars are averaging just 94 yards a game despite having an explosive tandem in Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew.

"One thing we don't want to do is get Jacksonville's running game going because they definitely have two good backs," Champ Bailey said.

Lynch expects a steady dose of Taylor and Jones-Drew.

"I think they're going to try and establish it and take shots up top," Lynch said.

Taking shots up top on Denver hasn't been easy. The pass defense has been stellar. Denver is giving up just 62.5 yards passing a game, which is tops in the league.

Buffalo's J.P. Losman and Oakland's Josh McCown threw for a combined 170 yards and four interceptions in the first two weeks.

"Their pass defense is pretty darn good," Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said. "You are talking about one of the top defenses in the league."

Once the Broncos get their run defense in order, that is.

"It's a work in progress, but we've got to get that work up to our standard in a hurry," Lynch said. "We're working toward that."

In an effort to keep defensive linemen fresh, the Broncos have been constantly rotating players in and out. It may take time for the line to mesh together.

"I've never been involved with something like that," Lynch said. "But I think to keep everyone involved is great and it does speak to the depth. We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't feel like everyone could contribute."

For now, Simeon Rice is all right with rotating in and out. But once his shoulder completely heals, he wants to play more. He's had three tackles and a deflected pass playing in a limited capacity.

"This is not my style," said Rice, who started eight games for Tampa Bay last season before being sidelined with a shoulder injury. "It's throwing me off. But things will work itself out. I'll get up in there and start really shining and doing my thing. ... You're going to see some outrageous business on the field."

Lynch can't wait to see that. They were teammates in Tampa Bay, and Lynch knows how much of an impact a healthy Rice can have.

"He wreaks havoc all over the field," Lynch said. "For whatever reason, he's had a knock against him his whole career that he doesn't play the run well, but I know that our Super Bowl year, when we became No. 1 in every category on defense -- including run defense -- he was a huge part of that. He's a tremendous player."

As for Denver's problems against the run, Lynch isn't the least bit concerned.

"I've been on defenses where you're just getting run through," Lynch said. "You aren't making tackles and people are overpowering you. That's not the case with us. We just need to tighten it up."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Tned
09-21-2007, 07:22 AM
1) Anyone know how long till Rice "fully heals"?

I saw this popup on the newsfeed last night, but didn't read it:

Confident in his shoulder, defensive Simeon Rice is ready for more than a rotational role on the defensive line.Read More... (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=&storyID=7285) [Denver Broncos :: Top Story] - 9/20/2007 7:04:21 PM

I'm going to take a look at it now.

Tned
09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
I saw this popup on the newsfeed last night, but didn't read it:

I'm going to take a look at it now.

Here are a few of the Rice comments in the above article:

"I'm real close. I'm starting to feel really good. Now I'm ready for them to pull the plug. Hit the detonation button. Given the fact I continue to improve, you're going to see some outrageous business on the field. Be blissful. I won't have to explain it as much," Rice said. "I'll get up in there and start really shining and doing my thing."

Tampa Bay released him after he failed a physical, but he passed the sure-fire test: a solid hit on the football field. He's certainly been in shape enough to play.

"I got de-cleated for the first time on a long run in Buffalo. I got up and said, 'Oh my shoulder is still in place.' It's holding up real well. It's feeling stronger. I'm in a good place," Rice said. "I walk around in football shape. I'm always right. I wouldn't have signed on the dotted line if I wasn't. I wasn't confident in my shoulder when I first came here. Now I am."

That's a scary proposition for opposing offenses. Rice is close to being, well, Rice.

"I feel like myself. It's hard to be me. There's such a standard, such a bar. I feel really good about myself right now and what I can do for this team," Rice said.

Tned
09-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Excellent news for our D. In his limited role he showed he can still make plays. The more snaps he takes the better.

Yep, i hope once he gets back to full, full strenth he has a couple good years left. Even just this one season would be great.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I guess tightening up the defense is a long the lines of a little nip tuck face lift or a boob job. :confused: :laugh: