PDA

View Full Version : List of Possible Head Coach and Personnel Candidates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lancane
12-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Word is that Pat Bowlen wants to get back to Broncos Football, that’s at least what is being said around the league. For those who do not know what that statement indicates, then I’ll enlighten you, during Bowlen’s tenure as owner of the Denver Broncos, they have usually fielded offenses that are ranked in the upper echelon of the NFL. While their defenses have always been solid and tough, built around three or four key athletes but far from stellar.

Many insiders have said that Pat Bowlen wants to likely go with candidates that have a Colorado connection, and that is a fairly long list -

Greg Robinson - Defensive Coordinator at University of Michigan
Ed Donatell - Defensive Backs Coach of the Denver Broncos
*Rick Dennison - Offensive Coordinator of the Houston Texans
*Eric Studesville - Interim Head Coach of the Denver Broncos
Tim Brewster - Former Head Coach at the University of Minnesota
Jeremy Bates - Offensive Coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks
Gary Kubiak - Head Coach of the Houston Texans - Will remain the Head Coach of the Houston Texans.
Steve Fairchild - Head Coach at Colorado State University
Dan Reeves - Former Head Coach of the Denver Broncos
Jacob Burney - Defensive Line Coach for the Washington Redskins
Rick Neuheisel - Head Coach at UCLA
Chan Gailey - Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills
*Jim Fassel - Head Coach/General Manager for the UFL’s Las Vegas Locomotives
Pat McPherson - Tight Ends Coach of the Seattle Seahawks
Karl Dorrell - Wide Receivers Coach of the Miami Dolphins
Les Miles - Head Coach at Louisiana State University
Kyle Shanahan - Offensive Coordinator of the Washington Redskins
*Mike Nolan - Defensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins
Keith Millard - Defensive Line Coach of the Oakland Raiders
Rod Dowhower - Offensive Coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles
George Henshaw - Running Backs Coach of the New Orleans Saints
Frank Bush - Defensive Coordinator of the Houston Texans
Leon Burtnett - Assistant Defensive Coach at the University of Houston
Wade Phillips - Former Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys - Is expected to become the Defensive Coordinator of the Houston Texans within days of their final game.
Troy Calhoun - Head Coach at United States Air Force Academy - Removed his name from consideration.
Scott O’Brien - Special Teams Coach for the New England Patriots
David Gibbs - Defensive Backs Coach for the Houston Texans
Urban Meyer - Head Coach at the University of Florida - According to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen, Meyer is not in contention for the Head Coach position in Denver.
David Arnold - Assistant Offensive Coach at Colorado State University
Rich Stubler - Defensive Line Coach for the CFL’s BC Lions
Brad Seely - Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams of the Cleveland Browns
Vance Bedford - Defensive Coordinator at the University of Louisville
Chris Foerster - Offensive Line Coach for the Washington Redskins
Marvin Sanders - Defensive Backs Coach at the University of Nebraska
Chuck Heater - Defensive Coordinator at the University of Florida
Noel Mazzone - Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State University
Skip Holtz - Head Coach at the University of South Florida

Other Candidates that have been mentioned by outside sources -

Mike Leach - Former Head Coach at Texas Tech University
*Ron Rivera - Defensive Coordinator of the San Diego Chargers
*Jim Harbaugh - Head Coach at Stanford University
Brian Billick - Former Head Coach of the Baltimore Ravens
Jason Garrett - Interim Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys
Steve Mariucci - Former Head Coach of the Detroit Lions
Jon Gruden - Former Head Coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Has officially committed himself to ESPN for the 2011 NFL Season.
Bill Cowher - Former Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers
Leslie Frazier - Interim Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings

Here are some General Manager names already being mentioned -

Ted Sundquist - Former Denver Broncos General Manager
Floyd Reese - Senior Adviser of the New England Patriots (Former GM)
Ron Hill - Former Atlanta Falcons General Manager
Charley Casserly - CBS Analyst (Former GM)
Rick Smith - Current Houston Texans General Manager

Those names with asterisks next to them are the media's so-called front runners for the Head Coaching or General Manager position.

This is just a list I've compiled, nothing official just possibles candidates...have fun!

:D

broncosinindy
12-07-2010, 04:53 AM
eh I am so underwhelmed with that list. about the only person i liike is calhoun. Riveria and cowher. But i consider hireing a GM and geting our FO in order the biggest need first

BroncoBJ
12-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Good thread :salute: Should get a nice sticky. Will be nice to look at the whole list and start thinking about who I want.

You forgot Ben McDaniels though. :fight:

Lancane
12-07-2010, 05:05 AM
eh I am so underwhelmed with that list. about the only person i liike is calhoun. Riveria and cowher. But i consider hireing a GM and geting our FO in order the biggest need first

According to Denver Post insiders, Pat Bowlen and his wife met with John Elway and his wife at his Cherry Creek restaurant to discuss an executive position if Elway so wished it.

There are some General Manager names already being mentioned -

And I am not sold on Calhoun, I don't think his offense would translate well to the NFL, it's worse then the Wildcat, if that is what he wants to run. Not to mention that he is very inexperienced. Wouldn't mind him being the offensive coordinator if he ran a pro-style offense, but as a Head Coach, I'd rather have Ron Rivera.

Traveler
12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Well, now that Denver is back at square one, my hope is that whomever is brought in as GM and HC, they will rebuild this franchise in the correct manner.

Meaning, if they are truly going to rebuild, they should tear down "everything" and rebuild from scratch. Hire a GM first! Separate the HC from any personnel decisions with the GM having total control in personnel.

No more aged veterans on the downside of their careers. Build the team starting from the trenches. Get younger and let them learn and grow together. It may be cause for some lean years, but I'm willing to endure it if this is the approach.

McDaniels did have the right idea on getting bigger and more physical, he just didn't know how or refused to hire coaches that knew how to implement that vision without micro managing. Too much, too soon for the kid without proper guidance from the FO and ownership.

I must admit that I'm both concerned and relieved about the firing of McDaniels. Concerned because there really isn't anyone of the staff that I feel can right this ship. Relieved because the nightmare of the McDaniels experiment is over.

broncosinindy
12-07-2010, 07:26 AM
According to Denver Post insiders, Pat Bowlen and his wife met with John Elway and his wife at his Cherry Creek restaurant to discuss an executive position if Elway so wished it.

There are some General Manager names already being mentioned -

And I am not sold on Calhoun, I don't think his offense would translate well to the NFL, it's worse then the Wildcat, if that is what he wants to run. Not to mention that he is very inexperienced. Wouldn't mind him being the offensive coordinator if he ran a pro-style offense, but as a Head Coach, I'd rather have Ron Rivera.Casserly would be a good personel guy. I am pretty sure though he isnt the biggest tebow fan. It should be exciteing discussing FO change ups.

Calhoun shouldnt be winning on the college with the roster he is given. He makes it work. If he is as flexable a coach as he is a x and o's guy i think we could do worse. Alot of variables but i would be interested to see if it can work. Oh and remember calhoun did coach with broncs

Nomad
12-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Les Miles:lol: If he beats A&M in the Cotton, he'll be loved by Tigers fans! He's a college coach and that is all!

Why does the coach have to have Denver ties? Is Bowlen that short sighted??

I would go the defensive coach route this time! Like Traveler said, hopefully they do it right hire a real GM and separate the GM/HC duties! Ron Rivera sounds like a good candidate for HC then again, I don't pay attention enough to these coaches to know!

I hope Bowlen is patient, smart and does it right this time!! But seeing he wants to bring Elway in, it looks like Elway may build this team! Just say no to Kubes and at least 80% of your list!!

broncosinindy
12-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Well, now that Denver is back at square one, my hope is that whomever is brought in as GM and HC, they will rebuild this franchise in the correct manner.

Meaning, if they are truly going to rebuild, they should tear down "everything" and rebuild from scratch. Hire a GM first! Separate the HC from any personnel decisions with the GM having total control in personnel.

No more aged veterans on the downside of their careers. Build the team starting from the trenches. Get younger and let them learn and grow together. It may be cause for some lean years, but I'm willing to endure it if this is the approach.

McDaniels did have the right idea on getting bigger and more physical, he just didn't know how or refused to hire coaches that knew how to implement that vision without micro managing. Too much, too soon for the kid without proper guidance from the FO and ownership.

I must admit that I'm both concerned and relieved about the firing of McDaniels. Concerned because there really isn't anyone of the staff that I feel can right this ship. Relieved because the nightmare of the McDaniels experiment is over.

I liked alot of the philosphies. I liked alot of what MCD brought to the table. he just wasnt able to have his vision come to fruit. Frustrating fo sure.I wish that they would have Kept MCD and brought in a GM much like cleveland did

MasterShake
12-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Great points. I was a McDaniels supporter but I am glad he is gone, and even a little excited to see our new direction. I think he had a good plan, but bad execution. At least our offense was kind of patched up before he left. I think we have a nice young nucleus with Royal, Decker, Thomas, and Llyod and Moreno is really starting to grow on me. If Tebow can pan out, I'd be a pretty happy camper! I'd rather see a young team that probably shouldn't win grow and learn together and win some games than an experienced, older team who is supposed to win lose all the time.

I guess what I'm saying is I want an identity again. For the longest time we were a smash mouth running team. I don't know what we are now.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Kiszla here as far as Bowlen goes! As I said before hopefully he and Elway (or whoever is his right hand man because obviously Elway is going to be in the FO and probably 2nd in charge) better do their homework and be patient, because IMO, this is clearly on Bowlen's his shoulders and no one to blame such as a rookie HC (who dug his own grave)!!

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_16795158

SOCALORADO.
12-07-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Kiszla here as far as Bowlen goes! As I said before hopefully he and Elway (or whoever is his right hand man because obviously Elway is going to be in the FO and probably 2nd in charge) better do their homework and be patient, because IMO, this is clearly on Bowlen's his shoulders and no one to blame such as a rookie HC (who dug his own grave)!!

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_16795158

Heres how its going to go, and you will like it! (dang it!)
John Elway-VP
Marty Shottenheimer-GM
Jon Gruden-HC

Nomad
12-07-2010, 09:00 AM
John Elway-VP
Marty Shottenheimer-GM
Jon Gruden-HC

I was wrong about Tebow being a Denver BRONCO and you were right, so you never know!!

Traveler
12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
How would everyone feel if Bowlen brought back Elway as VP of Football Operations, Jim Goodman (not his son) as the GM, and hired Leslie Frazier (if Minn doesn't sign him long term)as the HC, and an OC that is familiar with the spread offense, not sure who?

Nomad
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
How would everyone feel if Bowlen brought back Elway as VP of Football Operations, Jim Goodman (not his son) as the GM, and hired Leslie Frazier (if Minn doesn't sign him long term)as the HC?

No complaints here, but listening to sportsradio here, I'd be shocked to see Frazier leave Minny unless Denver can pay him more! I would want to evaluate the GM's closely and not just jump on the first thing that comes along!

Traveler
12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
No complaints here, but listening to sportsradio here, I'd be shocked to see Frazier leave Minny unless Denver can pay him more! I would want to evaluate the GM's closely and not just jump on the first thing that comes along!

Agreed! If the team hires a HC before a GM, then Bowlen will have truly lost my respect in his ability to correct the nightmare that was McDaniels.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Elway made a fortune in business. He led an arena football team to a league championship. He was in 5 super bowls. He's in the hall of fame. His celebrity golf tournament is a huge success. Seems like every thing he does, he succeeds

BeefStew25
12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Elway made a fortune in business. He led an arena football team to a league championship. He was in 5 super bowls. He's in the hall of fame. His celebrity golf tournament is a huge success. Seems like every thing he does, he succeeds

Janet disagrees.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Calhoun was the first coach listed in the Denver post.
How important is NFL head coaching experience?

Dzone
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Janet disagrees.

oh yea huh...lol

SOCALORADO.
12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Calhoun was the first coach listed in the Denver post.
How important is NFL head coaching experience?

Relax. Its just a rumor.
Everytime a HC in any respetive city is fired, the hometown homer media throw out the local guys name right away as a possiblity.
"Hes from the area!"
"Hes great with the media!"
"Hes good with local prospects!"
"Hes a solid member of the community!"
Half these media folks know him personally, and have a bit of an agenda for him, which is OK.

BroncoStud
12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
John Elway-VP
Marty Shottenheimer-GM
Jon Gruden-HC

Wet dream there. :salute:

SOCALORADO.
12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Wet dream there. :salute:

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought, or why we died. No, all that matters is that i stood against many, that's what's important. Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me one request, grant me GRUDEN! And if you do not listen, then the hell with you!

Nomad
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Eddy Mac endorses Gruden or Cowher and a real/experienced GM to come in!!

BroncoAV06
12-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I think that the lockout looming and looking at paying both Shanny and McD a combined $6.7mil should lead to a good coaching search. Think Frazier might stick with the Vikings so that's a name off the list.

Ravage!!!
12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
How would everyone feel if Bowlen brought back Elway as VP of Football Operations, Jim Goodman (not his son) as the GM, and hired Leslie Frazier (if Minn doesn't sign him long term)as the HC, and an OC that is familiar with the spread offense, not sure who?

I don't like the spread offense. I don't like what we have here. I think the offense sucks. That being said, I like the rest of what you said. I dont think there is a way in heck that Frazier gets out of Minnesota, but other than that I'd be ok.

I dream of SOCOLARADO's dream team as well..

Elway VP
Schottenheimer
Gruden

Lancane
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Updated Information -

The Broncos are already denying a local radio report that they are negotiating with Air Force coach Troy Calhoun. He may be a candidate down the road, but the Broncos haven’t started the process yet. Like they did during the search two years ago, the Broncos have promised to be up front with the media during their search and won’t hide interviews. Kudos for that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/josh-mcdaniels-fired

Jon_Gruden 4 HC
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Updated Information -

Good to hear..

Nomad
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Klis brings up a good point on 87.7 that if Studesville goes 4-0, would Bowlen hire him as full time HC!!

BTW, he said no way Gruden or Cowher coming to Denver and main reason is the $$$$$$!!

Rex
12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I stopped at Greg Robinson.

So I guess I missed the rest of the list.

CoachChaz
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
A "cheaper" coach with a hard nose mentality and defensive mindframe.

Why is Todd Bowles not on this list?

dogfish
12-07-2010, 12:23 PM
if we can't have gruden, my short list would be:

john fox
jeff fisher
russ grimm
ron rivera
perry fewell

preferrably with a strong personnel executive in place, although it doesn't look like that's going to be happening either. . . :tsk:

Nomad
12-07-2010, 12:25 PM

pardon me if I never heard of him!! Just wiki'd him!!

CoachChaz
12-07-2010, 12:25 PM
if we can't have gruden, my short list would be:

john fox
jeff fisher
russ grimm
ron rivera
perry fewell

preferrably with a strong personnel executive in place, although it doesn't look like that's going to be happening either. . . :tsk:

Fox is among my top 3. In no specific order, as I'd be happy with either of them...

Harbaugh, Fox, Bowles

dogfish
12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
was bowles the DC for dallas when parcells was there? i know the name sounds familiar. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Klis was just on the ticket, and said that no one should expect a "sexy" HC hire - Gruden, Cowher, etc., as Bowlen will be paying 6.7 mil combined to Shanahan, McDaniels. Klis went on to say that if Studesville goes 4 and 0, he will be the new coach.

I wondered when they made Studesville the interim HC yesterday, if that was not saying that he will be the new HC - i.e. - the Rooney Rule would be complied with - end of story.

Also, on the ticket a few minutes ago, they stated that the AF Academy just issued a statement that Calhoun remains committed to the Academy.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
was bowles the DC for dallas when parcells was there? i know the name sounds familiar. . .

He could be a toss up with the other names you have on your list!! He has a defensive pedigree!!

http://www.miamidolphins.com/content/todd-bowles

CoachChaz
12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Yes...and doing some nice things with the Miami defense today. He;s a Jersey guy with Parcells attitude. Pretty much what I believe this team and organization needs right now.

If the organization needs a "facelift" after the last 2 years, I think a hard-ass is the way to go

BigDaddyBronco
12-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I think NFL Network said the same thing about it not being a sexy pick and named Gruden, they also said that it was likely that Xanders wasn't going anywhere. So if Xanders stays put we would either need a director of Player Personnel to handle the scouting, drafting, FA's, etc. or a HC who could do that.

I'm hoping Bowlen doesn't go down the HC with the power over the roster thing again. Hopefully he has learned that it leads to disaster.

BigDaddyBronco
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes...and doing some nice things with the Miami defense today. He;s a Jersey guy with Parcells attitude. Pretty much what I believe this team and organization needs right now.

If the organization needs a "facelift" after the last 2 years, I think a hard-ass is the way to go

So if Nolan is the DC with the Dolphins, what position does Bowles have?

Traveler
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't like the spread offense. I don't like what we have here. I think the offense sucks. That being said, I like the rest of what you said. I dont think there is a way in heck that Frazier gets out of Minnesota, but other than that I'd be ok.

I dream of SOCOLARADO's dream team as well..

Elway VP
Schottenheimer
Gruden

I think the spread is a pretty solid offense and we already have the players here to run it.

Josh's play calling, his micro-managing, and his inexperienced coaching staff was the problem IMO. This offense can be great with a little more emphasis on the running game.

CoachChaz
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
So if Nolan is the DC with the Dolphins, what position does Bowles have?

Asst. Head Coach/Secondary Coach. Has done nothing but miracles with the secondaries in Cleveland, Dallas and Miami. Think of what he could do with our mix of veteran talent and skilled youth. Add a solid OC and DC and Bowles attitude and I think it's a pretty good combination

Nomad
12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Studesville being introduced right now..........I'm a little late!!

http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?callsign=KXDPFM

Nomad
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Mike Mccoy will call the offense!!

dogfish
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Mike Mccoy will call the offense!!

he's still just a figurehead-- tebow will actually be running the offense. . .

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Todd Bowles hasn't really been mentioned, and that's why. He was interviewed for the position before, but he wasn't one of the final candidates, Frazier and Garrett were, and if Dallas doesn't stick with Garrett, don't be surprised if he becomes the favorite for the Denver job.

Bowles is a good coach, but...if what Bowlen said yesterday is true about getting back to Broncos football, then an offensive minded head coach is more then likely to be hired for the position.

CoachChaz
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Todd Bowles hasn't really been mentioned, and that's why. He was interviewed for the position before, but he wasn't one of the final candidates, Frazier and Garrett were, and if Dallas doesn't stick with Garrett, don't be surprised if he becomes the favorite for the Denver job.

Bowles is a good coach, but...if what Bowlen said yesterday is true about getting back to Broncos football, then an offensive minded head coach is more then likely to be hired for the position.

I guess my thinking is that someone will remind Pat what the offensive coaches have done for the "Orange Crush" over the last 10 years.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

I think Garrett gets the Dallas job and Frazier gets the Minnesota job anyway.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Why would Frazier leave MN when they have a D line in the Williams boys and a sack machine in Jared Allen? :confused: Even if Pat offered him more money! They were just in the NFCCG and still have all the pieces minus a QB.

It doesn't matter because Frazier wont be allowed to leave MN.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I guess my thinking is that someone will remind Pat what the offensive coaches have done for the "Orange Crush" over the last 10 years.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

I think Garrett gets the Dallas job and Frazier gets the Minnesota job anyway.

At this time I agree, both are likely to remain with their respective teams. And I'm sure that the other posters, especially Nomad knows that I'd support the hiring of Ron Rivera for the head coaching position.

However, fans just need to look at the past...the Orange Crush was literally before Bowlen's time, during his tenure as owner it's been about offense, offense, offense...Wade Phillips got only two seasons, even though he had a winning record, and mainly in favor of an offensive minded head coach. Perfect example would be the promotion of Studesville to interim head coach, he's never been a coordinator, but why did he get the nod over Martindale or Donatell who was by all means the favorite to be named interim? Because Bowlen is offensive minded. He wanted Cutler to remain, that's obvious IMHO, but how could he go against his new head coach so soon. Bowlen is in some respects just as guilty for demise of this team.

Think about what Pat Bowlen has seen over the last decade or so, the losses that have come at the hands of teams that have elite or solid franchise quarterbacks and the success of teams that have good players at that position...look at the playoff picture right now, even though some of those teams have solid defenses only one or two have questions at the quarterback position...I'm sure Bowlen is just thrilled that Cutler and the Bears are well on their way to the post-season while we are 3-9. Look what Sam Bradford did to us just a couple weeks ago or Rivers before that.

I just don't see defense ever being more important then offense while Bowlen is the owner, it's important...but offense will always be the money maker in Denver, most of us understand that. After all, here...we live and die by our quarterback.

Even though I am high on Ron Rivera, I also know that an offensive candidate is more likely to be named the next head coach over a defensive coach.

Buff
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I stopped reading the list at name #1 when I saw Greg Robinson.

slim
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I stopped reading the list at name #1 when I saw Greg Robinson.

Well, then you missed out on a good laugh.

Jeremy Bates, Steve Fairchild and Scott O'Brien were also on the list.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, then you missed out on a good laugh.

Jeremy Bates, Steve Fairchild and Scott O'Brien were also on the list.

I was naming coaches that have a tie to the organization or the state and 'could' be looked at, never said 'would' be. I left Lane Kiffin off the list because he's really new to his job as USC, I also left Sunny Lubick off of it as well more because of age.

Over half of the list I created is less then likely to be named the head coach or be looked at for a position on the staff, but that is a fair list of names that the Broncos could look at for positions on the staff or for the head coach position.

And laughing at Greg Robinson is sort of asinine when we could be looking at Calhoun who doesn't have near the experience of Robinson. Kubiak is the favorite in some circles even though he's been mediocre and people would rather go with Jim Harbough over him...point is don't laugh or discount anyone at this point.

pipes
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
At this time I agree, both are likely to remain with their respective teams. And I'm sure that the other posters, especially Nomad knows that I'd support the hiring of Ron Rivera for the head coaching position.

However, fans just need to look at the past...the Orange Crush was literally before Bowlen's time, during his tenure as owner it's been about offense, offense, offense...Wade Phillips got only two seasons, even though he had a winning record, and mainly in favor of an offensive minded head coach. Perfect example would be the promotion of Studesville to interim head coach, he's never been a coordinator, but why did he get the nod over Martindale or Donatell who was by all means the favorite to be named interim? Because Bowlen is offensive minded. He wanted Cutler to remain, that's obvious IMHO, but how could he go against his new head coach so soon. Bowlen is in some respects just as guilty for demise of this team.

Think about what Pat Bowlen has seen over the last decade or so, the losses that have come at the hands of teams that have elite or solid franchise quarterbacks and the success of teams that have good players at that position...look at the playoff picture right now, even though some of those teams have solid defenses only one or two have questions at the quarterback position...I'm sure Bowlen is just thrilled that Cutler and the Bears are well on their way to the post-season while we are 3-9. Look what Sam Bradford did to us just a couple weeks ago or Rivers before that.

I just don't see defense ever being more important then offense while Bowlen is the owner, it's important...but offense will always be the money maker in Denver, most of us understand that. After all, here...we live and die by our quarterback.

Even though I am high on Ron Rivera, I also know that an offensive candidate is more likely to be named the next head coach over a defensive coach.
Wade Phillips didn't have a winning record in Denver.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I was naming coaches that have a tie to the organization or the state and 'could' be looked at, never said 'would' be. I left Lane Kiffin off the list because he's really new to his job as USC, I also left Sunny Lubick off of it as well more because of age.

Over half of the list I created is less then likely to be named the head coach or be looked at for a position on the staff, but that is a fair list of names that the Broncos could look at for positions on the staff or for the head coach position.

And laughing at Greg Robinson is sort of asinine when we could be looking at Calhoun who doesn't have near the experience of Robinson. Kubiak is the favorite in some circles even though he's been mediocre and people would rather go with Jim Harbough over him...point is don't laugh or discount anyone at this point.

Hans Mueh, Air Force Academy athletic director, confirmed Tuesday that he and football coach Troy Calhoun have reached an agreement on a contract extension through 2015 that will take the total compensation package for Calhoun to more than $1 million a year.

http://www.denverpost.com/afa/ci_16799971

Lancane
12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Wade Phillips didn't have a winning record in Denver.

Well, he had a .500 overall record, but was 9-7 his first season, went 7-9 in his second, so take it how you want to. But, by most standards he'd had gotten a third year, at least he didn't have the record McDaniels had!

;)

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/afa/ci_16799971

Is McDaniels still your adopted Bronco? :confused: Or will Studesville replace him there as well?

Elevation inc
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Mike smith wasnt a sexy pick and look at him, truth be told there are some good guys on that list.

To be honest I really would like to focus on Dennison, Harbaugh from stanford or studesville as the HC....cheap coaches that know offense that works is a balanced one. I would be perfectly content with any of those 3 and a GM who knows talent......pretty sure all 3 of those coaches can get us a good run game, solid passing offense, and solid defense to start competing again. I also think those 3 coaches would retain a number of players and assistants that should stay here. Guys like wink, Nunnely, Obrien, Donatell, Mccoy need to be retained...

pipes
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, he had a .500 overall record, but was 9-7 his first season, went 7-9 in his second, so take it how you want to. But, by most standards he'd had gotten a third year, at least he didn't have the record McDaniels had!

;)
As my memory serves me..Bowlen wanted Shanahan but was unwilling to give him full control so Shanny stayed in SF. Wade had two forgettable seasons then Bowlen gave in to Shanny's request...also Wade had "lost control" of the locker room in many ppl's eyes... Just saying that Pat hadn't always used a quick leash when he believed it necessary..plus he could get THE guy he wanted in the first place.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Mike smith wasnt a sexy pick and look at him, truth be told there are some good guys on that list.

To be honest I really would like to focus on Dennison, Harbaugh from stanford or studesville as the HC....cheap coaches that know offense that works is a balanced one. I would be perfectly content with any of those 3 and a GM who knows talent......pretty sure all 3 of those coaches can get us a good run game, solid passing offense, and solid defense to start competing again. I also think those 3 coaches would retain a number of players and assistants that should stay here. Guys like wink, Nunnely, Obrien, Donatell, Mccoy need to be retained...

Exactly...

Most analysts and other NFL insiders agree that Denver is not going to go with a sexy pick for the head coach position. And that makes a lot of sense, because fan expectation with a 'big name' coach would be higher then if the coach was just simply solid.

I have to disagree with the idea of Eric Studesville as the future head coach, nor do I think for a second that he is the organization's choice for a long-term answer to the problem. Instead I think he was chosen for his demeanor and attitude, sort of a breath of fresh air for the fans and the team in what has been a harsh season to endure. I do not have an issue with Studesville as a positional coach, but he does lack the coordinator or head coach experience that you would prefer in a candidate...if he wants to be looked at long-term, he is being given a tryout of sorts and what happens in the next four games will speak volumes about him and the other coaches on the staff.

Joe Ellis' words during this all seem to indicate that the Broncos organization is planning on doing a very thorough search regarding front office and coaching personnel, especially in regards to a General Manager and Head Coach candidates.

As far as General Managers go, I have four names that I feel will be looked at, especially if John Elway is involved in the search in some sort of advisory position -

Dan Reeves: Would be my personal favorite for the position. He and Elway have buried the hatchet, he understands the duties of the position, he was the Head Coach/General Manager in Denver, he worked closely with Rick Smith in Houston and had a similar position in Dallas under Jerry Jones.

Rick Smith: Former Broncos Assistant Coach and Executive, he's been solid as the General Manager for the Houston Texans during his tenure. He won't come cheap, but the organization itself could offer him a different title to lure him away, such as Executive Director of Football Personnel/General Manager.

Keith Kidd: Current Denver Broncos' Director of Pro Scouting, before his stint here was Assistant Director of Pro Scouting for the New England Patriots, before that he served in the scouting departments for the Cleveland Browns and the Arizona Cardinals.

Jim Fassel: Head Coach and General Manager of the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives. Very close to Elway, he understands the in and outs of the position, after being involved with the UFL League's head office, and his time in the NFL.

A lot will depend on the weight of John Elway's consultation and in what capacity and authority he has as an adviser for the organization...and then also what General Manager the organization does hire.

Right now, I have to think the favorites for the head coaching position are Rick Dennison, Gary Kubiak if Houston decides to fire him, Kyle Shanahan, Marty Shottenheimer because of his closeness to Elway outside of football and John Harbaugh who knows Elway and comes from his Alma Mater.

;)

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Is McDaniels still your adopted Bronco? :confused: Or will Studesville replace him there as well?

Better????? I do not have the time to read who everybody's adopted Bronco is/are.

Now, back to the topic - Would Bobby Turner make a good HC?

Lancane
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Better????? I do not have the time to read who everybody's adopted Bronco is/are.

Now, back to the topic - Would Bobby Turner make a good HC?

I love Bobby Turner, he has loads of experience as a positional coach. I'm surprised that someone hasn't promoted him to the offensive coordinator position to groom, he's a terrific coach and person and a great addition to any coaching staff. But as of now, no...he was an offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Purdue from 91' to 94', other then that stint he's been nothing but a positional coach. If we hired a very solid offensive minded head coach, I wouldn't mind hiring Turner as the Offensive Coordinator.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
harbaugh getting ready to sign extension at stanford
some are saying the broncos will not hire anyone with a big name

T.K.O.
12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Nolan ?:confused:

Dzone
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
they are having a lovefest for Mike Nolan right now on the radio. Saying what a great coach he would be here. He at least wont be wearing a stupid hoodie on the sidelines...naw, I dont see Nolan coming here...but he would prob be a good choice

Lancane
12-07-2010, 08:14 PM

That's pretty much the given from insiders around the league. I don't think the position is as hot as some believe, in all actuality we are in the rebuilding state of things, we have some pieces in place.

I believe one issue is the quarterback position, and what the Broncos' brass has to say in regards to those we do have on the roster. Are they going to be allowed to go after someone they want for the position? Especially since the coach will have limited power?

Harbaugh is not out of the picture yet, but I have a strong feeling that he would want to draft Luck, and that could or could not play a factor. But I still feel there will be a couple big names looked at such as Marty Shottenheimer, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan possibly and maybe even Brian Billick.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Look for Andrew Luck to be back next year!!

Lancane
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Nolan ?:confused:

Nolan is still an option, he failed in his last stint as a head coach but he has that Denver/Colorado connection that's been mentioned. But, I think a lot of that may depend on who he wants as coordinators, he wouldn't want to be set up for a fall IMHO.

Ravage!!!
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I would be pretty disappointed if it comes out to be Nolan. I don't see that happening.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I would be pretty disappointed if it comes out to be Nolan. I don't see that happening.

Nolan is an option, but I don't think he'll be one of the favorites...

If Garrett somehow does not return to Dallas, he'd become on of the favorites and the same with Frazier in Minnesota, but I don't see either leaving their current positions.

If we were to name favorites, I believe that they remain Rick Dennison, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh and of course Marty Shottenheimer, especially if Elway is involved and I think he will be.

Two coaches that I feel should be in the mix are of course Ron Rivera and Brian Billick.

dogfish
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
they are having a lovefest for Mike Nolan right now on the radio. Saying what a great coach he would be here. He at least wont be wearing a stupid hoodie on the sidelines...naw, I dont see Nolan coming here...but he would prob be a good choice

did these guys on the radio see how that went in san fran?

:huh:

Ravage!!!
12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Nolan is an option, but I don't think he'll be one of the favorites...

If Garrett somehow does not return to Dallas, he'd become on of the favorites and the same with Frazier in Minnesota, but I don't see either leaving their current positions.

If we were to name favorites, I believe that they remain Rick Dennison, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh and of course Marty Shottenheimer, especially if Elway is involved and I think he will be.

Two coaches that I feel should be in the mix are of course Ron Rivera and Brian Billick.

Lan, I usually agree with most of your opinions, but I'm glad you aren't in charge of hring a coach if Dennison and Kubiak are at teh top of your list. I like the idea of Schottenheimer, but not thinking of Marty. Jim Harbaugh, absolutely.

I would be back on the campaign of firing a coach, from day ONE, if its Brian Billick...... and would pull my hair out if Rivera.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Lan, I usually agree with most of your opinions, but I'm glad you aren't in charge of hring a coach if Dennison and Kubiak are at teh top of your list. I like the idea of Schottenheimer, but not thinking of Marty. Jim Harbaugh, absolutely.

I would be back on the campaign of firing a coach, from day ONE, if its Brian Billick...... and would pull my hair out if Rivera.

Rav, your making the mistake of thinking this list is built with those I think should be looked at, instead of more who we will look at. Insiders have mentioned small tidbits that will be factors, such as Elway being involved and Bowlen wanting to look at Denver and Colorado connections, or even his statement of getting back to Broncos' football.

The Denver Head Coaching position is no longer a 'sexy' post anymore, and that has been made clear by many of the analytical minds in and around the league. McDaniels really did more damage then some think...we are in a rebuilding state, maybe no longer at the early stages, but don't be confused about it, because that is just the way it is.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
The misconception is that posters think I make my predictions or mention certain candidates whether they are players, coaches, general managers or so on, based off some sort of emotional wishful thinking. I do not let my emotions or beliefs override my common sense (most of the time) nor my analytical opinion. If that was the case, then what I mention or say would be far different then from how I see it and present it to others. Like all Bronco fans, I am devoted to this team and have a deep passion for the game, even beyond our favorite team. To label me as such a person is truly unfair, especially if it is by those who know me so well.

As to my own opinion, I’d go with a General Manager like DeCosta, with Gruden as the Head Coach or something along those lines…but this is about who the team is likely to look at for those positions as well as others.

Magnificent Seven
12-08-2010, 12:27 AM
How about Bill McCartney???? :D

He have won three consecutive Big Eight Conference titles between 1989 and 1991. McCartney's 1990 team was crowned as national champions!

Lancane
12-08-2010, 12:48 AM
How about Bill McCartney???? :D

He have won three consecutive Big Eight Conference titles between 1989 and 1991. McCartney's 1990 team was crowned as national champions!

He's also been out of coaching for over a decade and a half...that's a long-time to be away from the sport. So I don't exactly see him on the list of viable candidates for a coaching position.

;)

Broncos Mtnman
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I was wrong about Tebow being a Denver BRONCO and you were right, so you never know!!

I think you're still going to be right eventually.

Nomad
12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
I think you're still going to be right eventually.

We all can be wrong once, and you just have to admit it, so I did! And so far with the Denver BRONCOS, I have only been wrong with Tebow!

Back on topic, Gruden will not be the next HC of the Denver BRONCOS!

Nomad
12-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Here's the DP's list of possible GM's and HC's!!

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16803057

Lancane
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

That's a very small list, and it's from Mike Klis...sort of sad really.

Lancane
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I think Dan Reeves would be an excellent candidate for the General Manager position, he was the Head Coach/General Manager for three different organizations, he also worked with Texan's General Manager Rick Smith in Houston, and had a similar position under Jerry Jones in Dallas.

Some of the players selected by Reeves during his career -

* OT - Ken Lanier * DB - Dennis Smith * RB - Sammy Winder * OT - Chris Hinton (Ended up traded in the Elway trade) * LB - Karl Mecklenberg * DE - Andre Townsend * TE - Clarence Klay * WR - Vance Johnson * RB - Steve Sewell * LB - Simon Fletcher * WR - Mark Jackson * LB - Michael Brooks * DB - Tyrone Braxton * OL - Gerald Perry * DB - Steve Atwater * OG - Doug Widell * TE - Shannon Sharpe * DE - Michael Strahan * LB - Marcus Buckley * OG - Greg Bishop * LB - Jessie Armstead * DB - Jason Sehorn * RB - Tyrone Wheatley * OT - Scott Gragg * WR - Amani Toomer * OT - Roman Oben * LB - Keith Brooking * OG - Bob Hallen * OT - Ephraim Salaam * DE - Patrick Kerney * TE - Reggie Kelly * C - Todd McClure * QB - Michael Vick * TE - Alge Crumpler * OG - Robert Garza

Some impressive names, but not sure that he's even on Bowlen's radar due to their past...but some of those players are legends, here and elsewhere.

SOCALORADO.
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM

The GMs are not all bad.
Theres a couple worthy of the spot.
But the HCs are just horrid. Absolutely piss poor. Frazier isnt going anywhere.

Lets just say for the sake of discussion that after i had a cup o java with Chuckie that he wasnt going to be able to come to DEN next year.
Not because he isnt listening to me, but he had a pre-arranged deal with family or something totally meaningless and selfish like that, and blah,blah,blah
he cant come to DEN. Whatever.
I would be open to Jim Harbaugh the HC of Stanford.
He has done wonders with Andrew Luck and made him clearly into the best pro-style, pro-ready QB to come out in a long time. I mean this kid is good.
And he has that team playing a very BALT Ravenesque style of football on defense. Just tough as nails, and they will hit you! They are fast, and they play with mean intensity. He has done this in a relatively short amount of time.
He knows QBs and i think he would be a solid mentor/teacher for TT.
So he would be a choice for me as well, even over some HCs that already have NFL experience.
BUT! I want a real, live, breathing GM to have full control of the team 1st. And it would be nice to see Elway eventually in a VP type role as well.

SOCALORADO.
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I think Dan Reeves would be an excellent candidate for the General Manager position, he was the Head Coach/General Manager for three different organizations, he also worked with Texan's General Manager Rick Smith in Houston, and had a similar position under Jerry Jones in Dallas.

Some of the players selected by Reeves during his career -

* OT - Ken Lanier * DB - Dennis Smith * RB - Sammy Winder * OT - Chris Hinton (Ended up traded in the Elway trade) * LB - Karl Mecklenberg * DE - Andre Townsend * TE - Clarence Klay * WR - Vance Johnson * RB - Steve Sewell * LB - Simon Fletcher * WR - Mark Jackson * LB - Michael Brooks * DB - Tyrone Braxton * OL - Gerald Perry * DB - Steve Atwater * OG - Doug Widell * TE - Shannon Sharpe * DE - Michael Strahan * LB - Marcus Buckley * OG - Greg Bishop * LB - Jessie Armstead * DB - Jason Sehorn * RB - Tyrone Wheatley * OT - Scott Gragg * WR - Amani Toomer * OT - Roman Oben * LB - Keith Brooking * OG - Bob Hallen * OT - Ephraim Salaam * DE - Patrick Kerney * TE - Reggie Kelly * C - Todd McClure * QB - Michael Vick * TE - Alge Crumpler * OG - Robert Garza

Some impressive names, but not sure that he's even on Bowlen's radar due to their past...but some of those players are legends, here and elsewhere.

Horrible idea.
Not because Reeves isnt good at what he does, as your list shows, but because there is just too much animosity between Elway/Bowlen and Reeves.
Reeves days are done in DEN forever.
But i would be open to Marty Shotenheimer who has an equally strong list of draft picks, and has had alot of success as well! And i think he and Elway/Bowlen would be a really good fit because there is NO animosity, just respect for a former adversary.

Dirk
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
The GMs are not all bad.
Theres a couple worthy of the spot.
But the HCs are just horrid. Absolutely piss poor. Frazier isnt going anywhere.

Lets just say for the sake of discussion that after i had a cup o java with Chuckie that he wasnt going to be able to come to DEN next year.
Not because he isnt listening to me, but he had a pre-arranged deal with family or something totally meaningless and selfish like that, and blah,blah,blah
he cant come to DEN. Whatever.
I would be open to Jim Harbaugh the HC of Stanford.
He has done wonders with Andrew Luck and made him clearly into the best pro-style, pro-ready QB to come out in a long time. I mean this kid is good.
And he has that team playing a very BALT Ravenesque style of football on defense. Just tough as nails, and they will hit you! They are fast, and they play with mean intensity. He has done this in a relatively short amount of time.
He knows QBs and i think he would be a solid mentor/teacher for TT.
So he would be a choice for me as well, even over some HCs that already have NFL experience.
BUT! I want a real, live, breathing GM to have full control of the team 1st. And it would be nice to see Elway eventually in a VP type role as well.

The only thing I would change in your Harbaugh scenario is to make a draft day trade that would deal Tebow and Quinn and draft Luck. Then the Harbaugh scenario would be perfect.

Otherwise I still say grab Chuckie and see what he can do with Tebow.

SOCALORADO.
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
The only thing I would change in your Harbaugh scenario is to make a draft day trade that would deal Tebow and Quinn and draft Luck. Then the Harbaugh scenario would be perfect.

Otherwise I still say grab Chuckie and see what he can do with Tebow.

I just cannot see any way to do this, and still rebuld the defense as well.
Those 2 2nd round picks are as valuable as the 1st! DEN absolutely has to make those 2 2nds count! Its just critical to the team.
And if DEN wants Luck, well then they will have to have Harbaugh in place before it happened, and then if suddenly TT was on the trading block, then teams would know damn well that DEN wants Luck and they would attempt to just rape DEN of all of its picks, knowing what Harbaughs plans really were.
DEN would just be telegraphing there draft plans to everyone, and BUF or whoever was picking 1st, would really try to maximize the deal to their favor. Harbuagh can coach QBs. Shoot, he was one for many years. I dont think he would have any trouble with TT.

Dirk
12-08-2010, 12:52 PM
As it stands right now we have Carolina taking the number one pick. Of course things could change by the end of the year but wins per team atm are:

Carolina - Wins 1: Are they going to give up on Clausen already?
Detroit - Wins 2: Are they going to give up on Stafford already?
Buffalo - Wins 2: I think they have a good thing going with Fitz
Cincy - Wins 2: Very possible they are ready to part with Palmer
AZ - Wins 3: Almost a certainty they would take a QB
Den - Wins 3: If they aren't sold on Tebow being the future the time is ripe for a QB.

So as it stands right now, the teams I think may go after Luck are Cincy and AZ if the standings stay as they are today. A deal may be possible if they dropped back only one or two spots. Along with an Orton or Tebow.

Who knows.....I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with the offseason, draft and the unknown. LOL

SOCALORADO.
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
As it stands right now we have Carolina taking the number one pick. Of course things could change by the end of the year but wins per team atm are:

Carolina - Wins 1: Are they going to give up on Clausen already?
Detroit - Wins 2: Are they going to give up on Stafford already?
Buffalo - Wins 2: I think they have a good thing going with Fitz
Cincy - Wins 2: Very possible they are ready to part with Palmer
AZ - Wins 3: Almost a certainty they would take a QB
Den - Wins 3: If they aren't sold on Tebow being the future the time is ripe for a QB.

So as it stands right now, the teams I think may go after Luck are Cincy and AZ if the standings stay as they are today. A deal may be possible if they dropped back only one or two spots. Along with an Orton or Tebow.

Who knows.....I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with the offseason, draft and the unknown. LOL

I just cant see CAR just giving up on Claussen. I dunno. Maybe.
They have some serious holes elsewhere.
Ditto to Stafford. DET just needs some O-linemen and Stafford is upright and not getting killed!
BUF.CIN,AZ. Theres where Luck would go.
And one of those teams like AZ will be willing to trade up and get him, but for DEN to try to trade up, CAR or DET would immeditely say,
"Hey, we were really never interested in Luck (we have a QB in place) and we dont need Tebow, so good luck with that, but we will give you the top pick for BOTH you 2nds, or your 1st 2nd, and your 3rd. How bout it!?!?"
And now DEN bends over. Those picks are just too damn valuable for the team. This team is absolutely depleted of talent on the defensive side of the ball and there just so happens to be tons of high end defensive talent at 3-4 DE/NT and 3-4 RUSH OLB in this draft. Plus DEN could use a SS. Oh and another O-linemen.......and make that 2! 3-4 DE's!!!....and a TE if one is in there for value.....and DEN could really use a..OK i'll stop.

dogfish
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I just cannot see any way to do this, and still rebuld the defense as well.
Those 2 2nd round picks are as valuable as the 1st! DEN absolutely has to make those 2 2nds count! Its just critical to the team.
And if DEN wants Luck, well then they will have to have Harbaugh in place before it happened, and then if suddenly TT was on the trading block, then teams would know damn well that DEN wants Luck and they would attempt to just rape DEN of all of its picks, knowing what Harbaughs plans really were.
DEN would just be telegraphing there draft plans to everyone, and BUF or whoever was picking 1st, would really try to maximize the deal to their favor. Harbuagh can coach QBs. Shoot, he was one for many years. I dont think he would have any trouble with TT.

it's just not happening. . . i'm not trying to be a dick about it, but denver fans will be so much happier with this offseason if they just accept that we ain't gettin' luck. . . i understand the appeal, but this kid is THE most highly touted prospect in forever-- he's not going to drop, and teams AREN'T going to pass on him. . . detroit, maybe, but no way carolina, cincy or arizona passes. . .

Dirk
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
it's just not happening. . . i'm not trying to be a dick about it, but denver fans will be so much happier with this offseason if they just accept that we ain't gettin' luck. . . i understand the appeal, but this kid is THE most highly touted prospect in forever-- he's not going to drop, and teams AREN'T going to pass on him. . . detroit, maybe, but no way carolina, cincy or arizona passes. . .

I agree...I'm just sayin'. :D

Sometimes teams play nice on draft day don't they? :lol:

dogfish
12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree...I'm just sayin'. :D

Sometimes teams play nice on draft day don't they? :lol:

sure. . . with the patriots. . . :tsk:

never seems to work that way for us, though. . . but maybe it will this year. . . not for luck-- nothing that big. . . but if we have the guts to make the move, the impact defensive lineman we've needed forever will probably fall in our lap-- we should almost certainly have a chance to select either nick fairley or marcel dareus, possibly even choose between them. . . IMO, that could end up being just the move we need. . .

Ravage!!!
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

YEah.. I WANT Luck, but I know there is no way in Hell we are getting him.

He MIGHT get past Carolina because they do have Clausen. Clausen may have proved to be something they feel they can build with, or... someone they feel they can trade away. They didn't spend a ton on him, so its certainly not as if he can't be replaced.

Plus, there is picking at #1. This year, there is a sure-fire kid that teams will WANT to move up and get. THat #1 overall pick could bring Carolina more picks,and for a team that needs picks, that could be more valuable, however I don't think you EVER pass on a prospect like Luck.

So the #1 over-all pick is going to be Luck.. no doubt about it. But is it Carolina, or another team that moves up? The only ones that can really afford to move up to get him, are teams already in the top 5 and odn't have to give up their entire draft in order to move up that far. AZ isn't going to move up if they feel Carolina is trying to move the first pick. Cinci might move up, because they absolutely need to draft a replacement for Palmer, and we know that AZ wouldn't pass on him.

Its going to make an interesting draft, thats for sure.

I also don't understand the thinking that we have to have Harbaugh in place before drafting Luck???? :confused:

dogfish
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
i 100% believe the panthers will draft luck. . .

clausen's hot garbage. . . he still has a name because he was a touted draft prospect, but he's no blue chipper-- there's a good reason he dropped as far as he did with no team making a move. . . he isn't anything close to the type of prospect that would make a team even think twice about drafting luck. . . JMO obviously, but i feel very confident in it. . . how do you pass on luck for a guy with 50% completion rate and 1-6 TD-INT rate, and one win? after what bradford has done for the rams this year, i just can't see any scenario where carolina would go a different direction. . .

underrated29
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I 100% would be soooooooooooooo pissed if we even look at a QB within before round 6. And IMO anyone who thinks we should go after luck or anyone else are off their freaking rocker.

We need defense defense defense defense! We have 3 Qbs one of which I can play better than. But we know with one QB that if we have a defense he can win...Hes proven it. With the other we could possibly have the greatest weapon on our hands....

How much harder is it to find and elite DT/DE than a QB?

Cutler went at 11. Almost all of the top DE/DT go top 10 or top 5. We take advantage of that NOW!

If tebow sucks (which I am pretty dam sure he wont) then we can look at QB the next year.

WE ARE NOT GETTING GRUDEN, AND WE ARE NOT GETTING A RD 1 QB! It is not going to happen. And if it does, I will seriously steal nuts rabbits set them on fire and throw them at pat bowlen.

BroncoJoe
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
My guess:

None of the above.

Dirk
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I can understand where you are coming from Undie29.

I'm saying if the Broncos don't believe in Tebow then they need someone to build upon. That's the only reason I suggested it.

I myself think that Tebow is going to be just fine and hope that our next HC thinks the same way. And I also hope that we will both be right for the sake of the franchise and that it's not another shot in the leg that McD left behind.

Elevation inc
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
for me now....

VP- John Elway
GM- Ron hill
HC- Jim Harbaugh
DC- Wink Martindale
OC- Mike Mccoy

red98
12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
i 100% believe the panthers will draft luck. . .

clausen's hot garbage. . . he still has a name because he was a touted draft prospect, but he's no blue chipper-- there's a good reason he dropped as far as he did with no team making a move. . . he isn't anything close to the type of prospect that would make a team even think twice about drafting luck. . . JMO obviously, but i feel very confident in it. . . how do you pass on luck for a guy with 50% completion rate and 1-6 TD-INT rate, and one win? after what bradford has done for the rams this year, i just can't see any scenario where carolina would go a different direction. . .

Our only hope would be if CAR hires McD as coach and he swaps 1st round picks with us in exchange for Tebow. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jhildebrand
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Urban Meyer stepping down from FL! Bowlen went after college coaches in the past ie stoops. Interesting!

Elevation inc
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Our only hope would be if CAR hires McD as coach and he swaps 1st round picks with us in exchange for Tebow. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

that would be sick....hey guys as new HC of carolina I will give you our top pick for orton and tebow.....we can all pray for this right...hahaha

then we draft luck, and nick Fairley and were good and still have 2 prime second rd picks....talk about changing fortunes quick....

hey lets all get the owner of the panthers drunk and stuck on MCD as a new HC for them...:beer:

Elevation inc
12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Urban Meyer stepping down from FL! Bowlen went after college coaches in the past ie stoops. Interesting!

he probally thinks he now has a chance to reunite with tebow.....that would be insane(not sure if good or bad though) if he ended up here.....

BigDaddyBronco
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Doesn't Urban Meyer have a bad ticker?

Ravage!!!
12-08-2010, 02:31 PM
FRAK!! Not only have I read Bates, Dungy, Billick... then had to hear about ideas of bringing sunquist back.... now thoughts of Meyer??

I think Ihave a concussion from banging my head against the table.

UrbanBounca
12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Urban Meyer just left Florida. Could there be a Tebow/Meyer reunion in Denver?

slim
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
:joyman:

Ravage!!!
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I 100% would be soooooooooooooo pissed if we even look at a QB within before round 6. And IMO anyone who thinks we should go after luck or anyone else are off their freaking rocker.

We need defense defense defense defense! We have 3 Qbs one of which I can play better than. But we know with one QB that if we have a defense he can win...Hes proven it. With the other we could possibly have the greatest weapon on our hands....

How much harder is it to find and elite DT/DE than a QB?

Depends if you really believe Tebow to be an NFL prospect. I don't think we go after a top QB, but if Tebow isn't a top QB, then when do you EVER have a better chance to get a good prospect than this year?

Fantastic year for QB prospects, in a year where we could have a top 5 pick.

Granted, top DL are worth a lot of money, but top teams have top QBs. It has.. HAS.. to be a priority over any other position on the field.

I know there is no way we go after Luck, but it just makes me that much more upset that we use up all those picks on Tebow so that we now don't even have the OPTION of going after a top QB.

But you can't just say "we'll go after one next year" as if the QB position is like the RB spot. You have a top pick in a top prospect of QBs. Just sayin', thats not a position you simply blow off as if its an easy one.

Dzone
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
With the new rules to tie the hands of the defense, you have to wonder if spending big there is worth it

SOCALORADO.
12-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Depends if you really believe Tebow to be an NFL prospect. I don't think we go after a top QB, but if Tebow isn't a top QB, then when do you EVER have a better chance to get a good prospect than this year?

Fantastic year for QB prospects, in a year where we could have a top 5 pick.

Granted, top DL are worth a lot of money, but top teams have top QBs. It has.. HAS.. to be a priority over any other position on the field.

I know there is no way we go after Luck, but it just makes me that much more upset that we use up all those picks on Tebow so that we now don't even have the OPTION of going after a top QB.

But you can't just say "we'll go after one next year" as if the QB position is like the RB spot. You have a top pick in a top prospect of QBs. Just sayin', thats not a position you simply blow off as if its an easy one.

OK Ravage.
You want a "sleeper steal" QB??
Pat Devlin-Delaware
This guy is a clone of Cutler.
Rocket, HUGE arm. Can make any throw.
tall, prototypical QB.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I still like the idea of:

GM -Schotty
HC - Chucky
OC - Kubes
DC - Wade

All of them are currently available (don't have to lure them away from any other team) except for Kubes who will likely be fired if the Texans miss the playoffs. All have been ridiculously successful in the NFL at above positions except for Marty S, but c'mon, you don't really think it was Carl Peterson who brought in all those great players to KC in the 90's, do you?

Make it happen, Pat!

Dirk
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't have insider for ESPN

Rumors: Bevell, Frazier as Denver options (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101208#7216)

dogfish
12-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Rumors: Bevell, Frazier as Denver options (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101208#7216)

that's the second time i've seen darrell bevell mentioned, and it makes me want to stab myself. . .

:huh:

WTF is with that???

SoCoPoCo
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I can't speak to his prior experience, but Mayock is a guy who has a great eye for talent, IMHO. I think he would be a good hire as a Personnel Director.

Lancane
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Horrible idea.
Not because Reeves isnt good at what he does, as your list shows, but because there is just too much animosity between Elway/Bowlen and Reeves.
Reeves days are done in DEN forever.
But i would be open to Marty Shotenheimer who has an equally strong list of draft picks, and has had alot of success as well! And i think he and Elway/Bowlen would be a really good fit because there is NO animosity, just respect for a former adversary.

I would like to see what Shotty could do...

But I disagree about Reeves, John and Dan buried the hatchet and the was the major cause of animosity between the three...I think personally, it's more the fans can not get over the fact that he tried to trade Elway. But, I have to laugh at it all...because we tend to forget, that without Reeves, we'd have never have gotten Elway, he was the defacto General Manager/Head Coach who made the trade for John, he didn't hesitate to pay the price to get him...even though he had just drafted Gary Kubiak.

But, I don't see Dan Reeves on Bowlen's radar...and I don't expect us to get someone with a quality name for the position, more like someone that still needs to earn their spurs in that respect.

nevcraw
12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

Candidates for the Broncos job
Darrell Bevell -- Vikings offensive coordinator could be nice consolation prize if Frazier's unavailable
Brian Billick -- Former Super Bowl-winning head coach is the type of offensive-minded coach Bowlen prefers
Troy Calhoun -- Air Force coach well-respected in the NFL, known as a high-character coach; however, he released a statement saying he's not interested
Bill Cowher -- The Denver opening could be the one that finally lures him back to the sideline
Jim Fassel -- Former Broncos assistant has NFL head coaching experience, desire to get back in the game
John Fox -- He should be free of Carolina soon
Leslie Frazier -- Vikings' interim coach finished second to McDaniels two years ago
Jason Garrett -- In the unlikely event Jerry Jones lets him go, Broncos will come calling
Jon Gruden -- Current Monday Night Football analyst is in the mix
Jim Harbaugh -- No college coach's stock is higher right now
Gary Kubiak -- On the hot seat in Houston, and Denver could be very interested if the Texans let him go
Mike Leach -- Because his name seems to come up with every opening ...
Ron Rivera -- San Diego defensive coordinator could be ready to make the jump to a head coaching gig
Eric Studesville -- Interim coach has the chance to make an impression over final four games

there was a additional reading on the subject but it was all same stuff we see at the DP

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101208#7216

dogfish
12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
thanks for posting it. . . that's pretty clearly just a "throw shit against the wall and see what sticks" type of list, though-- too long, and too diverse (sorry buff). . . if we were honestly looking at the likes of cowher and gruden, why the hell would names like calhoun, studesville and bevell be on there? that has to be pure guesswork, or just a hastily-compiled list of common names. . .

fcspikeit
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike Leach - Former Head Coach at Texas Tech University
Ron Rivera - Defensive Coordinator of the San Diego Chargers
Jim Harbaugh - Head Coach at Stanford University
Brian Billick - Former Head Coach of the Baltimore Ravens
Jason Garrett - Interim Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys
Steve Mariucci - Former Head Coach of the Detroit Lions
Jon Gruden - Former Head Coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Steve Cowher - Former Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers
Leslie Frazier - Interim Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings

Here are some General Manager names already being mentioned -

This is just a list I've compiled, nothing official just possibles candidates...have fun!

You should change that to Bill Cowher bro... (BTW... how have you been?)

I think Jeff Fisher might get a look.. Word is this may be his last our with Titans..

Lancane
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
You should change that to Bill Cowher bro... (BTW... how have you been?)

I think Jeff Fisher might get a look.. Word is this may be his last our with Titans..

I actually think we'll consider approaching Cowher, especially in light of the possibility that Elway would be in an executive position. Denver and Pittsburgh were two of the powerhouse teams in the 90's, and Elway has always said he respected him. So, until I hear otherwise I'll leave him on the list.

I've been good bro, had to have neck and shoulder surgery again...but otherwise alright. How have you been?

Seriously...I think Jeff Fisher is a very mediocre coach if we seriously look at the numbers and he's too close to Shanahan in my honest opinion to be given a serious look. Rumor has it that Mike and John had a falling out of sorts, Elway was banned from Dove Valley by Mike over it, that could be what disqualifies Kyle Shanahan from contention as well.

fcspikeit
12-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I actually think we'll consider approaching Cowher, especially in light of the possibility that Elway would be in an executive position. Denver and Pittsburgh were two of the powerhouse teams in the 90's, and Elway has always said he respected him. So, until I hear otherwise I'll leave him on the list.

I've been good bro, had to have neck and shoulder surgery again...but otherwise alright. How have you been?

Seriously...I think Jeff Fisher is a very mediocre coach if we seriously look at the numbers and he's too close to Shanahan in my honest opinion to be given a serious look. Rumor has it that Mike and John had a falling out of sorts, Elway was banned from Dove Valley by Mike over it, that could be what disqualifies Kyle Shanahan from contention as well.

I hadn't heard that about Elway and Mike... That’s very interesting :coffee:

I have been good.. been pretty much a casual fan of football for the last couple years.. I'm sorry to hear about your having to have the surgeries.. how is the rehabilitation going?

Also I wasn't saying take Cowher off the list.. I was saying his name is Bill Cowher and you have him down as Steve :D

Lancane
12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I hadn't heard that about Elway and Mike... That’s very interesting :coffee:

I have been good.. been pretty much a casual fan of football for the last couple years.. I'm sorry to hear about your having to have the surgeries.. how is the rehabilitation going?

Also I wasn't saying take Cowher off the list.. I was saying his name is Bill Cowher and you have him down as Steve :D

Actually, most of us just found out about the Elway-Shanahan rift, because McDaniels lifted the ban, that's the only good thing that idiot has done.

Rehabilitation has been harsh, the shoulder locks with the neck at times, causing rigorous sharp pains, it will never be a 100% again...oh well, that's life.

Thanks for pointing that out, can't believe I called him Steve Cowher...lol.

jhildebrand
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Actually, most of us just found out about the Elway-Shanahan rift, because McDaniels lifted the ban, that's the only good thing that idiot has done.

There was talk years ago that Elway was all but pushed into retirement by Shanahan. Elway was rumored to be considering a shot for a 3 peat. The reasoning mentioned at the time, IIRC, was Shanahan was out to prove he could accomplish as much without Reeves guys.

Lancane
12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
There was talk years ago that Elway was all but pushed into retirement by Shanahan. Elway was rumored to be considering a shot for a 3 peat. The reasoning mentioned at the time, IIRC, was Shanahan was out to prove he could accomplish as much without Reeves guys.

Yeah, but I don't buy that for one minute...I don't see Shanahan pushing Elway to retire when there was a chance to become a dynasty and Bowlen would have had something to say about that.

But, who knows really besides them and those privy to what happened.

fcspikeit
12-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Rehabilitation has been harsh, the shoulder locks with the neck at times, causing rigorous sharp pains, it will never be a 100% again...oh well, that's life.

Thanks for pointing that out, can't believe I called him Steve Cowher...lol.

Do you have a link to anything I can read about this?

fcspikeit
12-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Its crazy.. When we were looking for a coach there were so many hot candidates out there.. Now I can't think of anyone that I would throw at the top of my list lol.. The worst thing is that we got the worst of all of the ones we all were talking about at the time :(..

I wanted Rex Ryan and secant Steve Spagnuolo.. My third choice would have been McDipshit lol

Lancane
12-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Its crazy.. When we were looking for a coach there were so many hot candidates out there.. Now I can't think of anyone that I would throw at the top of my list lol.. The worst thing is that we got the worst of all of the ones we all were talking about at the time :(..

I wanted Rex Ryan and secant Steve Spagnuolo.. My third choice would have been McDipshit lol

McDaniels was at the top of my list because of the variational spread offense he'd install, which would have been a huge plus for Jay Cutler. It's funny, because the coach I thought best for Cutler to turn us into a high powered offensive team, literally destroyed what I had hoped from him! I also was hoping he'd change the base defense from the 4-3 to the 3-4. But, I wanted him gone the minute he pulled that shit with Cutler, I'm still livid over that to be truthful.

But, right before we did hire McDaniels, I started to lean toward Jason Garrett, his pedigree was better offensively and he utilized more schemes in the offensive system he used.

If for some reason Dallas doesn't re-hire Garrett, he should be at the top of our Head Coach list, that's my opinion at least.

The biggest problem is that this organization is no longer a hot commodity, with Cutler and Marshall gone, we've lost our sexiness in general. And Tebow is not helping, few think very much of him as a possible franchise quarterback and depending on what the front office brass is willing to let them do, will have a large bearing on the desire for the position.

I don't see us dishing out a ton of money either, and that will hinder the desire for big names as much as having no say in the Tebow matter if they are not attracted to using him as a quarterback.

fcspikeit
12-09-2010, 03:07 AM
McDaniels was at the top of my list because of the variational spread offense he'd install, which would have been a huge plus for Jay Cutler. It's funny, because the coach I thought best for Cutler to turn us into a high powered offensive team, literally destroyed what I had hoped from him! I also was hoping he'd change the base defense from the 4-3 to the 3-4. But, I wanted him gone the minute he pulled that shit with Cutler, I'm still livid over that to be truthful.

But, right before we did hire McDaniels, I started to lean toward Jason Garrett, his pedigree was better offensively and he utilized more schemes in the offensive system he used.

If for some reason Dallas doesn't re-hire Garrett, he should be at the top of our Head Coach list, that's my opinion at least.

The biggest problem is that this organization is no longer a hot commodity, with Cutler and Marshall gone, we've lost our sexiness in general. And Tebow is not helping, few think very much of him as a possible franchise quarterback and depending on what the front office brass is willing to let them do, will have a large bearing on the desire for the position.

I don't see us dishing out a ton of money either, and that will hinder the desire for big names as much as having no say in the Tebow matter if they are not attracted to using him as a quarterback.

You make some great points... I don't think most people even realise what an epic fail McDaniel’s has been.. When he came to the Broncos we had an amazing amount of talent on offense and some of the best young talent taken from the last 3 drafts.. It doesn't even matter who's side people were on in the Josh Jay debacle.. Just look at what has happened under McDaniel’s headship.. We Lost a legit starter at QB and right now we have no answer for the future at that position.. All we have is a huge ?.. Look at all the young talent we have lost under his reign..

We will no longer be a top choice of any hot new coaches... Instead we are getting into the will take anyone who wants the job group! When Mike left I wanted a fresh young mind to take over but right now looking at this mess I think we need a veteran coach to come in here and restore some respectability.. There is no question about it.. Anyone that comes in will be forced into complete restructure mode.. We don't even have a foundation for them to build a team around.. We seriously could be bottom feeders for a very very long time... We Broncos fans don't know what its like allways going into the season and being expected to finish last in the division and only being expected to win 2 to 4 games every year.. Like it or not that is exactly where we stand right now.. Bowlen bet the wrong horse and should have backed Cutler.. I know 1 player isn't more important then the team but the warning sign were written on the wall from day one when all the shady activity was going down..

Lancane
12-09-2010, 03:34 AM
You make some great points... I don't think most people even realise what an epic fail McDaniel’s has been.. When he came to the Broncos we had an amazing amount of talent on offense and some of the best young talent taken from the last 3 drafts.. It doesn't even matter who's side people were on in the Josh Jay debacle.. Just look at what has happened under McDaniel’s headship.. We Lost a legit starter at QB and right now we have no answer for the future at that position.. All we have is a huge ?.. Look at all the young talent we have lost under his reign..

We will no longer be a top choice of any hot new coaches... Instead we are getting into the will take anyone who wants the job group! When Mike left I wanted a fresh young mind to take over but right now looking at this mess I think we need a veteran coach to come in here and restore some respectability.. There is no question about it.. Anyone that comes in will be forced into complete restructure mode.. We don't even have a foundation for them to build a team around.. We seriously could be bottom feeders for a very very long time... We Broncos fans don't know what its like allways going into the season and being expected to finish last in the division and only being expected to win 2 to 4 games every year.. Like it or not that is exactly where we stand right now.. Bowlen bet the wrong horse and should have backed Cutler.. I know 1 player isn't more important then the team but the warning sign were written on the wall from day one when all the shady activity was going down..

Exactly...

All anyone has to do is ask the fans of the teams that have quality franchise quarterbacks and the teams they do not...the difference is amazing.

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2010, 04:23 PM

IMHO I just don't buy that rumor. Shanahan even left the door open for Elway if he changed his mind, and commented that he would only use Elway part of the season until the playoffs started.

Doesn't matter, it's all speculation. I've heard Shanahan was upset at the timing of Elway's retirement as well, as he was rumored to have said he would have went about the draft differently.

Regardless, if Jim Fassel, Brian Billick, John Fox, Jeff Fischer, Dan Reeves, or Gary Kubiack is a strong candidate I will continue to lose hope for this organization, until the actual product on the field tells me otherwise.

Lancane
12-10-2010, 04:40 AM
List has been updated.

Urban Meyer is officially out of contention, when asked about the possibility he said "I am not coaching next season", this has been confirmed by Adam Schefter and Greg Mortensen of ESPN and Will Brinson of CBS Sports.

Ravage!!!
12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd love Jeff Fisher...

Ravage!!!
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM

I think thats one of those "foolish" rumors that has absolutely no clout. Shanahan coached Elway through 4 SBs as a OC and HC, and knows what it takes to WIN. Elway being at the top of that list. No way any coach, especially as one as brilliant as Shanahan, would try and push the very reason that any coach wins consecutive SBs out the door.

BigDaddyBronco
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I'd love Jeff Fisher...
I think Fisher wouldn't have any issue having Tebow as his QB after working with VY the last few years, he also believes in the running game and has always had good defenses and ST's.

My only big issues with Fisher is that his offenses and defenses aren't incredibly innovative and seem bland at times as is his playcalling (by his assistants, no surprise with Heimerdinger), he also doesn't get the big wins in the playoffs when he has really good teams. He can work with head case players which can be good at times (getting anything out of Haynesworth, working with VY) but can sometimes blow up when he lets it get out of control (lame defending of Courtland Finnegan, the latest VY episodes).

So I think he could use what we have and make us a decent team again, but no guarantee at a playoff win or in keeping players names out of the paper. Seems like he would be similar to Shanny over the last decade, which might be great if we get a good GM who gives him talent to work with.

Dirk
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd love Jeff Fisher...

I'm not a big fan of Fisher. I think he is a decent coach but I just don't know.

He can grow one heck of a stache though.

dogfish
12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Fisher wouldn't have any issue having Tebow as his QB after working with VY the last few years, he also believes in the running game and has always had good defenses and ST's.

My only big issues with Fisher is that his offenses and defenses aren't incredibly innovative and seem bland at times as is his playcalling (by his assistants, no surprise with Heimerdinger), he also doesn't get the big wins in the playoffs when he has really good teams. He can work with head case players which can be good at times (getting anything out of Haynesworth, working with VY) but can sometimes blow up when he lets it get out of control (lame defending of Courtland Finnegan, the latest VY episodes).

So I think he could use what we have and make us a decent team again, but no guarantee at a playoff win or in keeping players names out of the paper. Seems like he would be similar to Shanny over the last decade, which might be great if we get a good GM who gives him talent to work with.

not a bad comparison, at all-- but the former titans QB that's an even better comparison is steve mcnair. . . tebow has a similar skill set, and the same toughness and warrior mentality that just didn't transfer to the pros for vince. . . tebow, OTOH, is the consummate pro, and far smarter than VY. . .

also, the point about no guarantee of playoff wins goes just as much for cowher or anyone else we can get. . . there's no coach out there who carries the lombardi in his suitcase, not even the real bill belly. . .

BigDaddyBronco
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
not a bad comparison, at all-- but the former titans QB that's an even better comparison is steve mcnair. . . tebow has a similar skill set, and the same toughness and warrior mentality that just didn't transfer to the pros for vince. . . tebow, OTOH, is the consummate pro, and far smarter than VY. . .

also, the point about no guarantee of playoff wins goes just as much for cowher or anyone else we can get. . . there's no coach out there who carries the lombardi in his suitcase, not even the real bill belly. . .
Yea, McNair is a better comparison, but that just shows you that Fisher can work with an athletic QB not just a pocket passer, that means Tebow would be in the mix. Yea, I think the list of guys who would almost guarntee success is pretty small, Bellichick, Parcells, Tomlin, etc. Guys like Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, etc. also seem pretty solid. But yea, all these guys would have trouble with our roster.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Former Pittsburgh Steeler's Head Coach, Bill Cowher says "that he's willing to listen to offers for head coach positions." According to NFLN

Before people get overly excited, Cowher would likely want to be fully in charge, meaning he'd want to be the De facto General Manager and Head Coach and command close to or between 6 to 8 million a year. If McDaniels finds a position on a staff this off-season, then the money due to him should be regulated and could mean that Denver has to pay only a portion of the yearly amount due to him...but don't expect that to be enough for Denver to go 'top dollar' on the next head coach who is likely to be offered anywhere from between 2.5 to 4 million at most.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Several people, that includes you Rav, Elevation and a few others have asked me who my candidate for the head coaching position would be. Right now in light off another black-eye for an organization already in turmoil, this team needs to be synonymous with change and with football. Though I've kept mum about who I would choose, I'll go ahead and share it...

Joe Lombardi, currently the quarterback coach for the New Orleans Saints. Grandson of Hall of Fame Coach, Vince Lombardi and protege of Sean Payton who is the protege of former Broncos' coach Jim Fassell. A graduate of the United State Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. Lombardi has coached the offensive and defensive side of the ball, he was a Defensive Line Coach for two years at the University of Dayton, followed by a short stint as the Tight Ends/Offensive Tackle Coach at the Virginia Military Institute. After that he was the Defensive Line Coach/Strength & Conditioning Coordinator at Bucknell University, before he joined the ranks of the New Jersey Hitmen of the XFL as a Tight Ends/Running Backs Coach. He then became the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach at Mercyhurst College for a few years. In 2006 he joined the NFL ranks becoming a Defensive Assistant for the Atlanta Falcons, a year later he was hired by Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints as the Quarterback Coach/Offensive Assistant.

Here's a coach that will put faith back into this organization, his family lineage is part of NFL History, he understands offense and defense, even the importance of strength & conditioning. He's coached the quarterback position, tight ends, defensive line, offensive tackles and running backs...he's a student of the game, not of any given position, plus he's disciplined by his years at the Air Force Academy, being that he has lived in Colorado then he also has a grasp of how we are with football and the Broncos in particular. By working closely with Drew Brees he has the understanding of what it takes to succeed as a Pro-Quarterback which would be a huge plus for Tim Tebow, he's been working closely with Pete Carmichael Jr., the offensive coordinator of New Orleans Saints, so has a solid grasp of the high powered Saints offense, which also uses some spread fundamentals as the base of the offensive system.

So go ahead and tear it apart if you want, but I think he'd be a great choice.

;)

Cugel
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM

You seem to have a knack recently of saying exactly what I'm thinking. After the way he screwed up in Baltimore why would anybody want Brian Billick? He was utterly unable to find a decent QB and insisted that Kyle Boller was "his guy" -- FOR YEARS.

With talent evaluation like that how could he not succeed? :coffee:

Cugel
12-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Former Pittsburgh Steeler's Head Coach, Bill Cowher says "that he's willing to listen to offers for head coach positions." According to NFLN

Before people get overly excited, Cowher would likely want to be fully in charge, meaning he'd want to be the De facto General Manager and Head Coach and command close to or between 6 to 8 million a year. If McDaniels finds a position on a staff this off-season, then the money due to him should be regulated and could mean that Denver has to pay only a portion of the yearly amount due to him...but don't expect that to be enough for Denver to go 'top dollar' on the next head coach who is likely to be offered anywhere from between 2.5 to 4 million at most.

According to Ellis, the money isn't the issue. What IS the issue is that having the same guy be in charge of BOTH GM and Coach just hasn't worked out for the Broncos over the last 10 years!

They DESPERATELY need a top flight GM in charge of player personnel. They CANNOT have a GM like Xanders who just hasn't a clue when it comes to talent evaluation. Of course they have talent scouts galore, but unless someone who is in charge of talent evaluation a) KNOWS what he's doing and b) is given the POWER to make the ultimate player personnel decisions it just isn't going to work!

That alone probably rules out both Gruden and Cowher, both of whom would want to have control over player personnel.

Denver CANNOT make another mistake like that again!

Lancane
12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
According to Ellis, the money isn't the issue. What IS the issue is that having the same guy be in charge of BOTH GM and Coach just hasn't worked out for the Broncos over the last 10 years!

They DESPERATELY need a top flight GM in charge of player personnel. They CANNOT have a GM like Xanders who just hasn't a clue when it comes to talent evaluation. Of course they have talent scouts galore, but unless someone who is in charge of talent evaluation a) KNOWS what he's doing and b) is given the POWER to make the ultimate player personnel decisions it just isn't going to work!

That alone probably rules out both Gruden and Cowher, both of whom would want to have control over player personnel.

Denver CANNOT make another mistake like that again!

I don't think money is an issue to an extent, but right at this moment Bowlen is paying 6.5 to 7 million in head coaching salaries, it may not go against the salary cap, but when you calculate the revenue spent on staff, unpaid contracts with coaches, then this year alone Bowlen has to be spent a pretty penny for lackluster results and will have to continue paying for some time if the trend continues. I'm not sure what was owed to Nolan, but I'm sure we're still paying a portion of his salary.

Personally, I don't give a shit about what Ellis says, he seems to know about as much about football operations as Xanders does about General Manager duties...so the basics but not much else!

And I concur, we need to stay away from Head Coach/General Manager type coaches, it worked at one time...but, beyond Belichick it has shown to be a hindering factor for organizations as of late.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM
With Bill Cowher after a four year sabbatical stating to the media "that he's open to listen to opportunities", Jerry Jones soon after refuted what many thought was a given, that Jason Garrett was indeed the future head coach of the Cowboys, instead Jones stated "Garrett was part of the problem we got into", trying to avoid over praising him, seemingly to negate that he was the future not only with himself, but with the fans as well. Several league insiders are watching this carefully, after all a marriage between Cowher and the Cowboys would be in the fans' eyes a match made in heaven. According to Dallas Morning News columnist Gerry Fraley, if Cowher is available then Garrett's resume loses luster.

**If Garrett is out in Dallas, he's not likely to remain unemployed for long...he was a finalist for the head coaching position for the Denver Broncos two years ago, before the Broncos hired now former head coach Josh McDaniels. As one of Denver's former finalists, he may be the only one available off that list this off-season and Denver may jump at the opportunity to hire a man they let slip by back then.**

Lancane
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
According to Milten Kent of FanHouse, Jon Gruden has officially made a commitment with ESPN executive vice president of production Norby Williamson to remain for the 2011 season.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/02/jon-gruden-committed-to-espn-thankful-for-current-job/

That clarifies that, there is very little chance of Gruden becoming the head coach of the Broncos in the near foreseeable future.

turftoad
12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
With Bill Cowher after a four year sabbatical stating to the media "that he's open to listen to opportunities", Jerry Jones soon after refuted what many thought was a given, that Jason Garrett was indeed the future head coach of the Cowboys, instead Jones stated "Garrett was part of the problem we got into", trying to avoid over praising him, seemingly to negate that he was the future not only with himself, but with the fans as well. Several league insiders are watching this carefully, after all a marriage between Cowher and the Cowboys would be in the fans' eyes a match made in heaven. According to Dallas Morning News columnist Gerry Fraley, if Cowher is available then Garrett's resume loses luster.

**If Garrett is out in Dallas, he's not likely to remain unemployed for long...he was a finalist for the head coaching position for the Denver Broncos two years ago, before the Broncos hired now former head coach Josh McDaniels. As one of Denver's former finalists, he may be the only one available off that list this off-season and Denver may jump at the opportunity to hire a man they let slip by back then.**

I don't like it, i don't like it at all. If Garretts not good enough for Dallas, why is he good enough for the Broncos? I mean, they know a lot more him than Denver does.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't like it, i don't like it at all. If Garretts not good enough for Dallas, why is he good enough for the Broncos? I mean, they know a lot more him than Denver does.

According to the reports coming out of Dallas and Austin media, it's more likely that Garrett was the favorite for the position till Cowher admitted he was open. After all, the Cowboys have been playing solidly under Garrett since he took over as the Interim Head Coach, the only way I see him being available to Denver is because they want Cowher just a tad more then Garrett, or Jerry Jones does at least.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-11-2010, 07:44 PM

What you say kinda contradicts itself there, Lancane. In discussing Cowher, you say he'll want complete control, which may be true, but if he does, Dallas would be the last place he'll likely go. There's only one guy with complete control in Dallas, Jerry Jones. Jerry is the owner and the GM. Much like Al Davis in Oakland, JJ is part of the package in Dallas and you just have to make due with the guys he falls in love with for whatever reason.

Gruden dealt with this is Oakland already and contrary to popular belief, he didn't have complete control in Tampa. Cowher also is used to being at the mercy of a GM as he was in Pittsburgh. Personally, i don't think either guy would be averse to that again provided they are getting paid what they think they're worth. I think that will be the deciding factor more than complete control will.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
What you say kinda contradicts itself there, Lancane. In discussing Cowher, you say he'll want complete control, which may be true, but if he does, Dallas would be the last place he'll likely go. There's only one guy with complete control in Dallas, Jerry Jones. Jerry is the owner and the GM. Much like Al Davis in Oakland, JJ is part of the package in Dallas and you just have to make due with the guys he falls in love with for whatever reason.

Gruden dealt with this is Oakland already and contrary to popular belief, he didn't have complete control in Tampa. Cowher also is used to being at the mercy of a GM as he was in Pittsburgh. Personally, i don't think either guy would be averse to that again provided they are getting paid what they think they're worth. I think that will be the deciding factor more than complete control will.

Actually, I don't contradict myself...that's the reports coming out of Texas, I originally had Cowher pegged for the Carolina job because he'd be near his family. But something some fans on here might not realize is that Jones has been letting up on his full-control of operations, Dan Reeves back in 2006 or 2007 was in fact an executive under Jones more akin to a General Manager, but it didn't last long. Jimmy Johnson actually had full control under Jones, Johnson said he wouldn't take the position otherwise. It was under Switzer that Jones again took control the way he did once more, but I could see him giving up that aspect if Cowher requested as much.

turftoad
12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
According to the reports coming out of Dallas and Austin media, it's more likely that Garrett was the favorite for the position till Cowher admitted he was open. After all, the Cowboys have been playing solidly under Garrett since he took over as the Interim Head Coach, the only way I see him being available to Denver is because they want Cowher just a tad more then Garrett, or Jerry Jones does at least.

Yep, I understand that. My question is, why do we want sloppy seconds? Why would Cowher rather go to Dallas than Denver if he's "the guy" to have. Just shows again how McDaniels has denigrated this franchise that we can't attract a top notch coach more than another franchise. If we still had Cutler, Marshall, Hillis, Scheffler etc.... this franchise would be a lot more attractive for suitors as a Head Coach.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Yep, I understand that. My question is, why do we want sloppy seconds? Why would Cowher rather go to Dallas than Denver if he's "the guy" to have. Just shows again how McDaniels has denigrated this franchise that we can't attract a top notch coach more than another franchise. If we still had Cutler, Marshall, Hillis, Scheffler etc.... this franchise would be a lot more attractive for suitors as a Head Coach.

I've said that for awhile now, we are officially in a rebuilding phase in the eyes of most insiders in and around the league. We were a hot commodity in 2009, we had a franchise capable Pro-Bowl quarterback, an elite All-Pro receiver, one of the best cornerbacks to have played the game and a young franchise All-Pro left tackle. Yeah, compared to the other Head Coaching jobs in 09' none were really as hot as our own. Now...we have a young unknown quarterback that has been the debate of some controversy, an aged veteran receiver that leads the league in receiving yards that has been mediocre till now, a bunch of questionable young additions, a horrid defense and an offensive line that is only starting to come into their own.

Fact is we're no longer that sexy, classy organization that people had us at before in their minds. We have an owner that contradicts himself more often then not, "Cutler is the pillar and franchise player of this team", "I want to keep Marshall a Denver Bronco", "I support my head coach", "He'll return next season", "We'll monitor the situation" and so on and so forth. Who really wants to come into such turmoil and iffiness?

Beyond finances, what free agents are going to see us as the franchise to play for? Or for that matter what coaches? Garrett is a solid coach, I'd be alright with him...but I don't see any big-big name coaches interested in what we have, we'll look at has-beens like Kubiak if he's fired, Fassell and maybe Billick or to coaches and coordinators that seem generally interested like Dennison or Rivera...or with younger coaches that have yet to make a name for themselves.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 08:27 PM
With Titans coach Jeff Fisher’s seat getting hotter by the day, owner Bud Adams is unhappy with the way his team is playing.

“I am not too happy right now, I’ll tell you that,” Adams said, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “But I think it is too early to talk about it. We have three more games to go and I’ll be able to talk a lot better after those three games.”

Adams said he’ll decide Fisher’s future after the season. - Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk.

Jeff Fisher could be out of a job soon to, another team looking for a coach and another has-been we may look at for our own.

turftoad
12-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I've said that for awhile now, we are officially in a rebuilding phase in the eyes of most insiders in and around the league. We were a hot commodity in 2009, we had a franchise capable Pro-Bowl quarterback, an elite All-Pro receiver, one of the best cornerbacks to have played the game and a young franchise All-Pro left tackle. Yeah, compared to the other Head Coaching jobs in 09' none were really as hot as our own. Now...we have a young unknown quarterback that has been the debate of some controversy, an aged veteran receiver that leads the league in receiving yards that has been mediocre till now, a bunch of questionable young additions, a horrid defense and an offensive line that is only starting to come into their own.

Fact is we're no longer that sexy, classy organization that people had us at before in their minds. We have an owner that contradicts himself more often then not, "Cutler is the pillar and franchise player of this team", "I want to keep Marshall a Denver Bronco", "I support my head coach", "He'll return next season", "We'll monitor the situation" and so on and so forth. Who really wants to come into such turmoil and iffiness?

Beyond finances, what free agents are going to see us as the franchise to play for? Or for that matter what coaches? Garrett is a solid coach, I'd be alright with him...but I don't see any big-big name coaches interested in what we have, we'll look at has-beens like Kubiak if he's fired, Fassell and maybe Billick or to coaches and coordinators that seem generally interested like Dennison or Rivera...or with younger coaches that have yet to make a name for themselves.

Great post my friend and spot on.

Til the season is over and firings have taken place, we just don't know yet.

Fisher (Ten) seems to be on the hot seat as well as Fox (Car) and who knows who else. I'd rather have either one of those two than Garrett IMO. Don't get me wrong though. Garrett would be fine by me. That said, If he is so good though, why wouldn't Dallas want to keep him for the long term? Like I said in a previous post, Dallas knows more about him than the Broncos do.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 08:51 PM

Fisher (Ten) seems to be on the hot seat as well as Fox (Car) and who knows who else. I'd rather have either one of those two than Garrett IMO. Don't get me wrong though. Garrett would be fine by me. That said, If he is so good though, why wouldn't Dallas want to keep him for the long term? Like I said in a previous post, Dallas knows more about him than the Broncos do.

I really don't want Fisher or Fox, both have been rather mediocre in my opinion as head coaches.

Right now my list of top candidates are -

1) Joe Lombardi - Quarterback Coach - New Orleans Saints
2) Ron Rivera - Defensive Coordinator - San Diego Chargers
3) Jason Garrett - Offensive Coordinator - Dallas Cowboys
4) Brian Schottenheimer - Offensive Coordinator - New York (J)
5) Jim Fassell - Head Coach - UFL Las Vegas Locomotives
6) Rick Dennison - Offensive Coordinator - Houston Texans

Others of interest -

Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Harbaugh, Rob Ryan, Steve Maruicci and Mike Nolan.

turftoad
12-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I really don't want Fisher or Fox, both have been rather mediocre in my opinion as head coaches.

Right now my list of top candidates are -

1) Joe Lombardi - Quarterback Coach - New Orleans Saints
2) Ron Rivera - Defensive Coordinator - San Diego Chargers
3) Jason Garrett - Offensive Coordinator - Dallas Cowboys
4) Brian Schottenheimer - Offensive Coordinator - New York (J)
5) Jim Fassell - Head Coach - UFL Las Vegas Locomotives
6) Greg Dennison - Offensive Coordinator - Houston Texans

Others of interest -

Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Harbaugh, Rob Ryan, Steve Maruicci and Mike Nolan.

I like Fox alot. He's been handcuffed by ownership IMO. He wanted a top notch QB, which IMO is the downfall with that whole team really. He's on the hot seat because he's been publicly questioning the FO about the QB problems there. I think he's solid.

Lancane
12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I like Fox alot. He's been handcuffed by ownership IMO. He wanted a top notch QB, which IMO is the downfall with that whole team really. He's on the hot seat because he's been publicly questioning the FO about the QB problems there. I think he's solid.

I'd prefer Fox over the likes of Fisher, Kubiak, Billick and a few others, that have been mentioned, that I'll admit.

Of course I'd still take Lombardi over any other candidate, but it's not my decision...

HORSEPOWER 56
12-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Fox has been a lame duck HC all year. He's been in the last year of his contract and the owner in Carolina made it clear before the season he wouldn't be re-signing Fox, so pretty much everyone has known, players, coaches, fans, and everyone else that short of a Superbowl, Fox was on the market. It's no surprise that Carolina is the worst team in the league this year. Nobody there, from the owner on down, gives a shit about this season. This year has gone almost exactly as expected for them.

I don't know if anyone is interested in John Fox (I wouldn't mind terribly because I've always liked him) but he'll definitely be available at season's end.

Dzone
12-12-2010, 03:17 AM
^Not sure about Fox. His team is the worst team in Football. I dont think its a good idea to hire a coach who has been around forever. Look at Fisher. Look at Shanahan. Experience is over rated. Sometimes, the game passes you by.

silkamilkamonico
12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Fox sucks.

In 15 years coaching the Titans, Fisher only has 6 winning seasons, and even worse, only 3 seasons in which he won a postseason game. No thanks.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Elevation inc
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm leaning more and more to Jim harbaugh, or Rick dennison as my favorites for the job....thats just me though...it aint flashy but its a gut thing...also if the rumors about coaching turf wars under MCD in dove valley are correct and studesville managed to stay out of it, and thats how he got the job he could be a more likely canidate than many realize....

Elevation inc
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
i dont want fox, cowher, fisher, garrett, wade, kubiak, or billick anywhere near this team as HC, otherwise we will just hear the one player away BS, enough already its time to rebuild the right way with a young HC who has no final personnel authority and just coaches and let the chips fall where they may

Lancane
12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
i dont want fox, cowher, fisher, garrett, wade, kubiak, or billick anywhere near this team as HC, otherwise we will just hear the one player away BS, enough already its time to rebuild the right way with a young HC who has no final personnel authority and just coaches and let the chips fall where they may

Actually I would be perfectly content if Jason Garrett got the job...but I agree with the rest of those names Elevation, oh except for Phillips, I'd be okay with him as the defensive coordinator.

Jim Harbaugh is actually the favorite for San Francisco head coaching position, should it open. But several big names are interested in that job if it opens.

As I said before, the two atop my list are Joe Lombardi of the New Orleans Saints and Ron Rivera of the San Diego Chargers.

thecoachingtree
12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
How much does the Elway hiring change things? Here is a list of my top candidates, but some of it is based on connections with Brian Xanders. How much control will he have now that Elway is on board?

Broncos Head Coach Candidates (http://coachingtree.blogspot.com/2010/12/denver-broncos-head-coach.html)

Lancane
12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
How much does the Elway hiring change things? Here is a list of my top candidates, but some of it is based on connections with Brian Xanders. How much control will he have now that Elway is on board?

Broncos Head Coach Candidates (http://coachingtree.blogspot.com/2010/12/denver-broncos-head-coach.html)

That list is very lacking honestly, there are a whole slew of names not mentioned, such as Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips, Jim Mora, Greg Knapp, Clancy Barone, Ed Donatell and Pete Mangurian to name a few, some of them have close ties to both organizations or at least to Xanders.

Jagsbch
12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Other Candidates that have been mentioned by outside sources -

Mike Leach - Former Head Coach at Texas Tech University:beer:

Lancane
12-12-2010, 04:50 PM
:beer:

The only problem with Leach Jags, is that he has not ties to the organization or to anyone on the staff, at least not one that is determinable to be of note.

I respect Leach, he's been able to stay dominant in the college ranks with a very powerful passing spread offense, he puts people in the best place to contribute and gets the most from those players of lesser talent that he can. But, he needs to be balanced more then he was at the collegiate level to be successful at the pro-level.

I don't think it's likely Jags, I really don't...but, I'd like to see what he could do in the NFL, I'll admit that much.

Jagsbch
12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think it's likely Jags, I really don't...but, I'd like to see what he could do in the NFL, I'll admit that much.

:elefant::beer::elefant:

pipes
12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

pipes
12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
With the state of the franchise as it is now..the only way someone takes the job is if its a personal favor to Elway...or they hire someone nowhere near qualified.

BroncoStud
12-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Another great throw by Orton.

Lancane
12-12-2010, 09:48 PM
According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, Cowher has been linked to the Cowboys' head coaching position by local media and the fans. But there is no truth to it per an organization insider, Jones will not relinquish his power and that is something Cowher would require.

Could mean I was right about Carolina being the likeliest place for him.

DenBronx
12-12-2010, 11:09 PM
According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, Cowher has been linked to the Cowboys' head coaching position by local media and the fans. But there is no truth to it per an organization insider, Jones will not relinquish his power and that is something Cowher would require.

Could mean I was right about Carolina being the likeliest place for him.

If Cowher comes back it won't be in Carolina. They have cap issues and personel salaries still outstanding. Noway they will dish out 9 mill a year for him.

The ONLY reason people have him linked there is because he has family there. He did just fine when he was in PITT so I'm pretty sure he will follow the money, no matter how far he is from Carolina.

Lancane
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
If Cowher comes back it won't be in Carolina. They have cap issues and personel salaries still outstanding. Noway they will dish out 9 mill a year for him.

The ONLY reason people have him linked there is because he has family there. He did just fine when he was in PITT so I'm pretty sure he will follow the money, no matter how far he is from Carolina.

Coaching salaries don't count against the cap DB, player salaries do and of course all the bonuses that are part of such contracts do. The Broncos are at this time are looking at paying between 7 to 10 million to head coaches alone, the entirety of the staff is payed by partnership, corporation or ownership of an NFL organization, so in this case - Bowlen Sports, Inc. cuts the checks for staff.

The "Team Salary" falls under the Salary Cap. Team salary includes the amount a team must pay its current or former players under their player contracts. Notice emphasis on the word PLAYERS. The salary cap does not apply to coaches, assistants, trainers, and other personnel. Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. During the season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap. - Per the NFL Commissioner

Broncos Mtnman
12-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, buy according to Channel 7 (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/26107184/detail.html), now that Elway will be in the front office, interest in Kubes has picked up....

7SPORTS has learned the Broncos would be very interested in Gary Kubiak, currently the head coach of the Houston Texans. Kubiak is a former back-up quarterback to Elway and offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan.

Lancane
12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, buy according to Channel 7 (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/26107184/detail.html), now that Elway will be in the front office, interest in Kubes has picked up....

I don't want Kubiak here...

But, Channel 7 can say they have learned, they do know there is such thing as tampering, correct? And I don't buy it anyways Mtn, according to the rumors coming out of Houston the owner is more likely to have Kubiak change defensive coordinators before firing him...he could pull a Shanahan, but then I wonder if that happened that Houston would seek blaming us for tampering?

Let Houston keep him...I'd rather have Fassell if we're hiring friends of Elway!

Dirk
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Anyone have ESPN Insider?

Rumors: A list of saviors for reeling Broncos (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101213#7272)

Or is it agains the rules to ask which coaches they are saying?

xzn
12-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Rumors: A list of saviors for reeling Broncos (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20101213#7272)

It only says that Nolan may be a consideration since he would come cheap and might fix the defense.

xzn
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
For what it's worth:

* Darrell Bevell -- Vikings offensive coordinator could be nice consolation prize if Frazier's unavailable
* Brian Billick -- Former Super Bowl-winning head coach is the type of offensive-minded coach Bowlen prefers
* Troy Calhoun -- Air Force coach well-respected in the NFL, known as a high-character coach; however, he released a statement saying he's not interested
* Bill Cowher -- The Denver opening could be the one that finally lures him back to the sideline
* Jim Fassel -- Former Broncos assistant has NFL head coaching experience, desire to get back in the game
* John Fox -- He should be free of Carolina soon
* Leslie Frazier -- Vikings' interim coach finished second to McDaniels two years ago
* Jason Garrett -- In the unlikely event Jerry Jones lets him go, Broncos will come calling
* Jon Gruden -- Current Monday Night Football analyst is in the mix
* Jim Harbaugh -- No college coach's stock is higher right now
* Gary Kubiak -- On the hot seat in Houston, and Denver could be very interested if the Texans let him go
* Mike Leach -- Because his name seems to come up with every opening ...
* Ron Rivera -- San Diego defensive coordinator could be ready to make the jump to a head coaching gig
* Eric Studesville -- Interim coach has the chance to make an impression over final four games

atwater27
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Fox sucks.

In 15 years coaching the Titans, Fisher only has 6 winning seasons, and even worse, only 3 seasons in which he won a postseason game. No thanks.

Out with the old and in with the new.

We just tried that. And got much worse.

silkamilkamonico
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
We just tried that. And got much worse.

We got worse because Bowlen gave some punk 32 year old virgin HC the keys to the entire organization. We need to keep trying. It has worked for a handful of NFL franchises the last couple years. It however has not worked well for coaching retreads trying to find another place to coach after their previous one has not worked out.

slim
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't want Kubiak here...

But, Channel 7 can say they have learned, they do know there is such thing as tampering, correct? And I don't buy it anyways Mtn, according to the rumors coming out of Houston the owner is more likely to have Kubiak change defensive coordinators before firing him...he could pull a Shanahan, but then I wonder if that happened that Houston would seek blaming us for tampering?

Let Houston keep him...I'd rather have Fassell if we're hiring friends of Elway!

:laugh:

Dude, are you Jim Fassell?

You seem to like him a lot.

Buff
12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I actually like Billick quite a bit as a HC, but I worry about him running the offensive show. He never could get the offense going in Baltimore. If he'd hand the offensive playcalling off to a McDaniels/Bates type of up-and-comer then I wouldn't mind giving him a look, but I suspect that wouldn't happen.

dogfish
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I actually like Billick quite a bit as a HC, but I worry about him running the offensive show. He never could get the offense going in Baltimore. If he'd hand the offensive playcalling off to a McDaniels/Bates type of up-and-comer then I wouldn't mind giving him a look, but I suspect that wouldn't happen.

you do know that billick built his coaching reputation as an offensive coordinator, right? offense is theoretically his forte. . .

Buff
12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
you do know that billick built his coaching reputation as an offensive coordinator, right? offense is theoretically his forte. . .

Yeah, that's why I brought it up. He went to Baltimore from Minn as an offensive guru and his offenses were always lackluster.

But I still think he knows enough about the game and all of the decisions that go along with being head coach to where he could still be a good coach. He'd have to give up some of his offensive responsibilities to make it work IMO, which is unlikely.

Dzone
12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
wtf would we want Kubiak, Fox or Fisher???? Those guys are perennial losers...Geezo, come on

Dzone
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Is it against the rules for you to give us your ESPN Insider username and password?

Lancane
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Dude, are you Jim Fassell?

You seem to like him a lot.

No, but he is a respectable coach, his protege is the head coach of New Orleans Saints and look what he has done. His teams always play tough in December...something we've hardly ever done. Fassel is a good candidate, that's all. I don't want Kubiak, he'd be a retread and because of his friendship to Bowlen and Elway he'd be given years and years to be mediocre before they decided what else to do. Fassel while friends with Elway, has also a sorted past with Bowlen, he'll be given some time...but Bowlen won't be afraid to fire him.

Lancane
12-13-2010, 07:57 PM
For what it's worth:

* Darrell Bevell -- Vikings offensive coordinator could be nice consolation prize if Frazier's unavailable
* Brian Billick -- Former Super Bowl-winning head coach is the type of offensive-minded coach Bowlen prefers
* Troy Calhoun -- Air Force coach well-respected in the NFL, known as a high-character coach; however, he released a statement saying he's not interested
* Bill Cowher -- The Denver opening could be the one that finally lures him back to the sideline
* Jim Fassel -- Former Broncos assistant has NFL head coaching experience, desire to get back in the game
* John Fox -- He should be free of Carolina soon
* Leslie Frazier -- Vikings' interim coach finished second to McDaniels two years ago
* Jason Garrett -- In the unlikely event Jerry Jones lets him go, Broncos will come calling
* Jon Gruden -- Current Monday Night Football analyst is in the mix
* Jim Harbaugh -- No college coach's stock is higher right now
* Gary Kubiak -- On the hot seat in Houston, and Denver could be very interested if the Texans let him go
* Mike Leach -- Because his name seems to come up with every opening ...
* Ron Rivera -- San Diego defensive coordinator could be ready to make the jump to a head coaching gig
* Eric Studesville -- Interim coach has the chance to make an impression over final four games

I'd be fine with Rivera, Garrett or Fassel, even Gruden...but he's committed himself to ESPN for 2011 so he's out of contention.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Mike Klis of the Denver Post throws out Fassel’s name Tuesday, citing some experience in Denver and the fact owner Pat Bowlen may be hesitant to hire another first time coach. Fassel, the former Giants head coach, is coming off a UFL title. - Gregg Rosenthal of ProFootballTalk

According to Rosenthal "Whatever the reason, Fassel is not a name that is going to get an angry fanbase on the team’s side." In which I have to say he really doesn't know jack or shit, no matter what happened in Baltimore under Billick, fact is that Fassel is a solid candidate for the position and would be more favored then Kubiak who is turning out to be a Shanahan clone.

horsepig
12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Rivera has done an absolutely exceptional job keeping SD's defense up to snuff.
They,ve had one hell of a lot of injuries/law troubles/ other shit on that D over the last few years and yet they always seem to be pretty damn competitive, especially late in the season.

EMB6903
12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I wouldnt mind Fassel here in Denver knowing that fact that he would bring along a good coaching staff and would actually let them do their jobs.

Lancane
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I wouldnt mind Fassel here in Denver knowing that fact that he would bring along a good coaching staff and would actually let them do their jobs.

Some people also forget that it was his Giants that ended our undefeated streak years ago late into the season, he's always had teams ready to play as playoffs near. That and his protege is Sean Payton, the Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints who have been a very dominant team since he took over...that guy...Could do much worse IMHO.

warcrychief
12-14-2010, 11:58 PM
LMAO...with Pat still paying off "The Rat" and chances are he will have 2 pay McNificent as well 2...what do you think you will be paying your new high priced HC with??? Scooby Snacks??? lmao you guys are done 4 awhile :lol:

atwater27
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
LMAO...with Pat still paying off "The Rat" and chances are he will have 2 pay McNificent as well 2...what do you think you will be paying your new high priced HC with??? Scooby Snacks??? lmao you guys are done 4 awhile :lol:

More nuggets of whiz-dumb from whorecryqueef.

warcrychief
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM
hmmm...pat paying off 2 HC's and you guys think you'll get a high priced 1 lmao better luck in 2 years lol

Lancane
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Adam Schefter had mentioned his name as a possible candidate, but this is the same man that mentioned Fassel and Kubiak as well.

It's rather hard to gauge the accuracy of Schefter's reports, after all...he's been wrong far more then right as of late in regards to this organization. And just for those who take his reports as gospel truth, he also mentioned Mularkey as a candidate for Houston if they fired Kubiak.

Bill Cowher has recently been linked to the Houston Texans' job if the team decides to go a different direction after the season. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has been recorded as the source of the rumor. Though Adam Schefter says it's would be a good fit, but is unlikely.

jhildebrand
12-15-2010, 05:26 PM
LMAO...with Pat still paying off "The Rat" and chances are he will have 2 pay McNificent as well 2...what do you think you will be paying your new high priced HC with??? Scooby Snacks??? lmao you guys are done 4 awhile :lol:Funny how he wasn't a "Rat" when Mortensen reported "Shanahn will be named Chiefs HC by day's end" :rolleyes:

You guys haven't been relevant since what 2001? :lol: Now all of a sudden you are in a position to talk? Please!

PS find the smack forum :rolleyes:

NightTerror218
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
What about Mike Nolan?

Lancane
12-16-2010, 02:36 PM
What about Mike Nolan?

That question has been has been asked before Phidelt. And the answer, is not so simple...fact is that over the years Bowlen on behalf of his head coaches has pissed off some rather good coaches and personnel that are in all likeliness not going to return interest because of the past incidents. I'm not saying Nolan himself is one, I'd be real surprised if Bowlen didn't put feelers out in his direction, but there is possibility that he may not be interested. And as ESPN reported the other day, there is a chance that nine other franchise beyond those on interim status could be looking for head coaches this off-season, making it a total of twelve teams going through the process.

We expect Frazier to be hired by Minnesota, and Garrett was the favorite in Dallas unless Jerry Jones is targeting someone else as some media sources have suggested. And if there are a number of teams looking for new coaching staffs, even if the number is half or a little more then the total mentioned, Nolan as well as the bigger name coaches are likely to be a hot commodities.

The Experience
12-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I want Perry Fewell.

The Giants D is so mean and nasty. Here is my dream staff

VP - Elway
GM - Marc Ross
HC - Perry Fewell
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC - Dick Jauron
:defense:

dogfish
12-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I want Perry Fewell.

VP - Elway
GM - Marc Ross
HC - Perry Fewell
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC - Dick Jauron

fewell got really good reviews as the interim HC when he was in buffalo-- i remember interviews with several veteran players expressing the opinion that he'd make an excellent HC. . . he's clearly getting a far better performance out of that giants defense than bill whatever did last year. . . he's definitely one of the top candidates i'd like to see here. . .

Lancane
12-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I want Perry Fewell.

VP - Elway
GM - Marc Ross
HC - Perry Fewell
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC - Dick Jauron

That would be a rather solid staff, problem is that Fewell doesn't have any ties to Colorado, let alone the Broncos' organization. And according to inside sources, Bowlen wants to go with someone that has such connections - I think it's mainly because the fanbase will be more at ease with someone that has an understanding of the importance of Broncos' football in the state and especially in Denver and would be more patient with such a candidate.

The Experience
12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
That would be a rather solid staff, problem is that Fewell doesn't have any ties to Colorado, let alone the Broncos' organization. And according to inside sources, Bowlen wants to go with someone that has such connections - I think it's mainly because the fanbase will be more at ease with someone that has an understanding of the importance of Broncos' football in the state and especially in Denver and would be more patient with such a candidate.

Thats why we bring in Kubiak at OC ;)

dogfish
12-17-2010, 09:17 PM
That would be a rather solid staff, problem is that Fewell doesn't have any ties to Colorado, let alone the Broncos' organization.

good. . . :D

is there any evidence that broncos fans are so desperate for some blast from the past? i haven't seen that sentiment expressed that much here or on the mane, or from 104.3 the fan, or from fans that i talk to in person. . . or really anywhere. . .

come on, bowlen, we're ****in' adults-- we don't need someone familiar name to be our binky. . . just get us someone that can build a winning program, that's what fans want-- regardless of where they come from. . .

if anything, sounds to me like bowlen needs to calm his own anxieties more than those of the fans. . .

Lancane
12-17-2010, 09:48 PM
good. . . :D

is there any evidence that broncos fans are so desperate for some blast from the past? i haven't seen that sentiment expressed that much here or on the mane, or from 104.3 the fan, or from fans that i talk to in person. . . or really anywhere. . .

come on, bowlen, we're ****in' adults-- we don't need someone familiar name to be our binky. . . just get us someone that can build a winning program, that's what fans want-- regardless of where they come from. . .

if anything, sounds to me like bowlen needs to calm his own anxieties more than those of the fans. . .

If you think about it carefully though Dog, it really makes sense. Everyone saw the warm reaction to CU's hiring of Jon Embree, a former player and coach for the University. So you could see the appeal to the Broncos' front office, especially after what had happened with Josh McDaniels!

dogfish
12-17-2010, 09:49 PM
If you think about it carefully though Dog, it really makes sense. Everyone saw the warm reaction to CU's hiring of Jon Embree, a former player and coach for the University. So you could see the appeal to the Broncos' front office, especially after what had happened with Josh McDaniels!

they want warm reactions? i'll send bowlen a hundred roses if he hires somebody like fewell, how's that work?

Lancane
12-17-2010, 11:05 PM
they want warm reactions? i'll send bowlen a hundred roses if he hires somebody like fewell, how's that work?

:lol:

He'd probably give the roses to the next head coach...Ben McDaniels! :laugh:

Joking...

Dzone
12-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Heres something about denver hiring an afc west coach...
romeo crennel as hc? no freakin way
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/21760/denver-candidates-afc-west-style

Lancane
12-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Heres something about denver hiring an afc west coach...
romeo crennel as hc? no freakin way
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/21760/denver-candidates-afc-west-style

That' just a list of possible candidates we could look to within the AFC West, nothing more then opinionated garbage.

;)

dogfish
12-18-2010, 01:22 AM
yea, hiring another belichick assistant right now? that's a laugher-- not gonna happen. . .

The Experience
12-18-2010, 02:58 AM
I like Rivera and Jackson. Romeo won't happen.

Perry Fewell is the guy though...

Lancane
12-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I like Rivera and Jackson. Romeo won't happen.

Perry Fewell is the guy though...

I myself would prefer a number of candidates over Fewell, and I doubt he's on our radar to begin with, but then of course neither is Dirk Koetter and he'd be a hell of a head coach in my honest opinion. Of those mentioned from the AFC West, the only one worth a damn would be Rivera, Jackson has put together one good season and should be considered? And I doubt we'll even sniff Crennel.

As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if we interviewed more then ten candidates, according to what we're hearing from insiders it should and in all likeliness will be a fairly fast hire because of the issues regarding the questionable time frame that may be involved. Not to mention that a lot hinges on what happens with Elway and Xanders, if we actually hire a General Manager or promote from within, so there will be a plethora of variables involved. And I would be surprised if the list of candidates for both positions isn't already written somewhere in Bowlen's office.

This is how I see it playing out, Eric Studesville will on the day after the end of our season be given an interview, fulfilling the Rooney Rule obligation. He'll be asked about his approach and plan to go forward, who he'd hire for the coaching staff and so on, so officially Studesville will be candidate number one. It's believed that Houston will indeed keep Gary Kubiak as their Head Coach, so next we'll turn to the candidates that were on our list last time before hiring McDaniels, so Leslie Frazier, Jason Garrett and Rick Dennison.

Frazier I believe will be locked in negotiations already to become the next head coach of the Vikings. With Jerry Jones telling local media that he plans to take his time and interview other candidates before making a decision could play in our favor, unless he's bullshitting people and Dallas get's permission from the league to forgo the stipulations of the Rooney Rule and starts negotiations with Garrett's agent just as quickly, we could end up hiring Garrett as the head coach before the end of the week after season's end and maybe even before we have a General Manager or John Elway's official role in place. They'll go at pace with the rest of the candidates if Garrett and Frazier are off the list, including with Dennison…that’s just my opinion of course.

They won’t waste long interviewing General Managers or trying to get Elway into an official position either, so look for them to have those positions filled fairly fast as well, don’t expect any big name General Managers, this will be an aggressive hire, they’ll probably bring in Rick Smith from Houston and offer him a position that above just your average General Manager, so Director of Football Operations making him the executive of the General Management Department, that would allow Brian Xanders to remain G.M., and I wouldn’t be surprised if Keith Kidd who is a hot candidate to become a G.M. himself sooner rather then later to become the Assistant General Manager. We may turn to Ron Hill, John Beake or Ted Sundquist for a similar position, but I have a feeling that Smith followed by Sundquist may be the favorite for such a position. Even if Elway is not officially hired at this point, look for him to be helping at least in an advisory capacity.

Now here is where I’ll throw in the wrench, Denver will get aggressive about this time and interview the fan favorites for the position if Garrett is out of the picture. Look for them to bring in Jim Fassel, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden…yes, I said it. There is some controversy there with Gruden but by at least interviewing him they’ll be showing a sign of getting better. Now with that said, Gruden will be too expensive in my opinion and Harbaugh will be too, after all…he’ll be in high demand…especially with the teams that are based in California like the Chargers if they decide to fire Turner and San Francisco, he might even be a possible in Dallas knowing Jerry Jones. Jim Fassel will get some heavy consideration as we turn to the other candidates from teams either out of the playoffs or already eliminated. So I will say Rick Dennison, Ron Rivera, Mike Nolan and Mike Mularkey.

So that will be the list in my honest opinion…

1) Jason Garrett (If Denver can pull it off, he might end up named Head Coach rather quickly)
2) Jim Fassel (Next to Dennison is likely to be the favorite for the position)
3) Jon Gruden (Interviewed to sway the fans but doubt there is real interest and he‘ll be expensive to hire)
4) Jim Harbaugh (Will have better offers because of his pedigree and after McDaniels the club may be a tad iffy to hire him)
5) Rick Dennison (Likely wants the job and is a fan favorite)
6) Ron Rivera (Could end up being in demand, and is the favorite to replace Turner if the Chargers fire him)
7) Mike Nolan (Likely interested, but will end up elsewhere)
8) Mike Mularkey (Probably wants the job, but not the best candidate)
9) Eric Studesville (Not the likeliest candidate, but will get some consideration)
10) Ed Donatell (A dark horse candidate, who will likely get an interview if the team is not sold on one of the others)

In the end, if we can not land Garrett, I believe it will be a toss-up between Fassel and Dennison.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
UGh.... I hope you are wrong. I don't want Dennison, and I don't want Garrett..(no way he leaves dallas, he's been sitting there WAITING to be the new HC).

The only person I liked from that list, is Harbaugh and Gruden, and I know we arent' getting either. I don't really have anything against Fassel, but wasn't impressed with his HC'ing jobs in the past. Has he learned since then, Im guessing he absolutely has.

I think this HC needs to come with some maturity, some experience, and some clout.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Im interested in Perry Fewell.... or Russ Grimm

nevcraw
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
UGh.... I hope you are wrong. I don't want Dennison, and I don't want Garrett..(no way he leaves dallas, he's been sitting there WAITING to be the new HC).

The only person I liked from that list, is Harbaugh and Gruden, and I know we arent' getting either. I don't really have anything against Fassel, but wasn't impressed with his HC'ing jobs in the past. Has he learned since then, Im guessing he absolutely has.

I think this HC needs to come with some maturity, some experience, and some clout.

Yeah - I do not think we end up with either Harbaugh or Grudes.
Gruden hring would be awesome but I also see it as a careful what you wish for type of thing.. How long before his schtick rubs the players the wrong way? Is he a mentor and and a SOB? will he return to a musical chairs QB guy etc.. but he also could build a tough team into a winner quickly. But Bowlen will nto give the same power he did before and Gruden will probably only

As i've stated elsewhere I think Dennison gets a real hard look again and would good with him. He has experience in all facets of an org. from player to coordinator, he is well respected from what you read.. But the clout and early buy in thing from the players maybe a tough sell.
we shall see...

Elevation inc
12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
face it folks....Dennison, Fassel, and Nolan make tons of sense for HC whether you like it or not....

perosnally I would be fine with any of the above and also Perry Fewell, Harbaugh and Hue jackson....

any of those guys woudl satisfy me.....

guys like cowher, crennel, fisher, fox, gruden, mularkey, kubiak, garrett would literally piss me the F off

Nomad
12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
face it folks....Dennison, Fassel, and Nolan make tons of sense for HC whether you like it or not....

Why?

Lancane
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Actually, I rather like Garrett and so much depends on Jerry Jones in that situation...Jones already said that he would be looking at other candidates as well, so there is still a chance. I think Dennison or Fassel would both be good head coaches, so I have no problem with either. Are any of them my absolute favorites for the job? No, I would like Dirk Koetter or Ron Rivera, even Joe Lombardi. But I also know the chances are slim, I would be alright with Gruden as well, but there is a dust storm of controversy involving him and he'd have to have a team-friendly contract, now does that mean there is no chance? No, Gruden could be waiting for the call and sells himself like a stud at pasture to the front office.

Right now though, with how I see this playing out...Fassel or Dennison are probably the favorites for the position, if things break down as I've foreseen.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM

perosnally I would be fine with any of the above and also Perry Fewell, Harbaugh and Hue jackson....

any of those guys woudl satisfy me.....

guys like cowher, crennel, fisher, fox, gruden, mularkey, kubiak, garrett would literally piss me the F off

Garrett wouldn't piss me off, I actually like him and he makes absolute sense...but, Kubiak is a Shanahan clone in many ways and we need to seperate ourselves from that Walsh-Seifert coaching tree some, though I would be alright with Dennison, he has a deeper understanding of the game then people realize. Fassell is from the Landry coaching tree like Dan Reeves, he was the mentor of Sean Payton the head coach of the Saints, people say that Payton is of the Parcell's tree and that's utter bullshit, he learned under Fassel who was mentored by Reeves.

"We need to get back to Broncos' football" - "Bowlen wants to hire someone with a connection to the Broncos or at least to Colorado". Those two statements tell me a lot about what insiders are saying and where we might be looking...take into account that Shanahan and Phillips were both members of the staff at one point under Dan Reeves, the first time we hire outside of those we are familiar with he destroys the team and set the fan base into an uproar with his inept and different approach. So, Nolan, Fassel and Dennison make perfectly logical sense.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Garrett wouldn't piss me off, I just have heard how great his mind is, and we didn't see it with Washington. His play calling wasn't something to "behold" and I'm not sure why he's such a good candidate for the job. Jones hired Garrett BEFORE he hired Wade Phillips as the HC (which was weird)... and was sure to make it so that Garrett would be the one lined up to take over the HC posision. Now... I'm sure Jerry will do his diligence in hiring an HC...but if he doesn't hire Garrett, that would be shocking.

I absolutely.. 100%.... do not want Nolan. I cringe every time someone mentions his name as a possible prospect as HC.

Dirk
12-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I absolutely.. 100%.... do not want Nolan. I cringe every time someone mentions his name as a possible prospect as HC.

I agree. As a DC he is better than most. As a HC...not so much.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, like I said before, I feel that Fassel and Dennison are more favored then Nolan will be and the chances that they hire Nolan over one of those two would be like trading a winning lottery ticket for a McDonald's happy meal, it makes no F'n sense.

The Experience
12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I myself would prefer a number of candidates over Fewell, and I doubt he's on our radar to begin with, but then of course neither is Dirk Koetter and he'd be a hell of a head coach in my honest opinion. Of those mentioned from the AFC West, the only one worth a damn would be Rivera, Jackson has put together one good season and should be considered? And I doubt we'll even sniff Crennel.

As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if we interviewed more then ten candidates, according to what we're hearing from insiders it should and in all likeliness will be a fairly fast hire because of the issues regarding the questionable time frame that may be involved. Not to mention that a lot hinges on what happens with Elway and Xanders, if we actually hire a General Manager or promote from within, so there will be a plethora of variables involved. And I would be surprised if the list of candidates for both positions isn't already written somewhere in Bowlen's office.

This is how I see it playing out, Eric Studesville will on the day after the end of our season be given an interview, fulfilling the Rooney Rule obligation. He'll be asked about his approach and plan to go forward, who he'd hire for the coaching staff and so on, so officially Studesville will be candidate number one. It's believed that Houston will indeed keep Gary Kubiak as their Head Coach, so next we'll turn to the candidates that were on our list last time before hiring McDaniels, so Leslie Frazier, Jason Garrett and Rick Dennison.

Frazier I believe will be locked in negotiations already to become the next head coach of the Vikings. With Jerry Jones telling local media that he plans to take his time and interview other candidates before making a decision could play in our favor, unless he's bullshitting people and Dallas get's permission from the league to forgo the stipulations of the Rooney Rule and starts negotiations with Garrett's agent just as quickly, we could end up hiring Garrett as the head coach before the end of the week after season's end and maybe even before we have a General Manager or John Elway's official role in place. They'll go at pace with the rest of the candidates if Garrett and Frazier are off the list, including with Dennison…that’s just my opinion of course.

They won’t waste long interviewing General Managers or trying to get Elway into an official position either, so look for them to have those positions filled fairly fast as well, don’t expect any big name General Managers, this will be an aggressive hire, they’ll probably bring in Rick Smith from Houston and offer him a position that above just your average General Manager, so Director of Football Operations making him the executive of the General Management Department, that would allow Brian Xanders to remain G.M., and I wouldn’t be surprised if Keith Kidd who is a hot candidate to become a G.M. himself sooner rather then later to become the Assistant General Manager. We may turn to Ron Hill, John Beake or Ted Sundquist for a similar position, but I have a feeling that Smith followed by Sundquist may be the favorite for such a position. Even if Elway is not officially hired at this point, look for him to be helping at least in an advisory capacity.

Now here is where I’ll throw in the wrench, Denver will get aggressive about this time and interview the fan favorites for the position if Garrett is out of the picture. Look for them to bring in Jim Fassel, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden…yes, I said it. There is some controversy there with Gruden but by at least interviewing him they’ll be showing a sign of getting better. Now with that said, Gruden will be too expensive in my opinion and Harbaugh will be too, after all…he’ll be in high demand…especially with the teams that are based in California like the Chargers if they decide to fire Turner and San Francisco, he might even be a possible in Dallas knowing Jerry Jones. Jim Fassel will get some heavy consideration as we turn to the other candidates from teams either out of the playoffs or already eliminated. So I will say Rick Dennison, Ron Rivera, Mike Nolan and Mike Mularkey.

So that will be the list in my honest opinion…

1) Jason Garrett (If Denver can pull it off, he might end up named Head Coach rather quickly)
2) Jim Fassel (Next to Dennison is likely to be the favorite for the position)
3) Jon Gruden (Interviewed to sway the fans but doubt there is real interest and he‘ll be expensive to hire)
4) Jim Harbaugh (Will have better offers because of his pedigree and after McDaniels the club may be a tad iffy to hire him)
5) Rick Dennison (Likely wants the job and is a fan favorite)
6) Ron Rivera (Could end up being in demand, and is the favorite to replace Turner if the Chargers fire him)
7) Mike Nolan (Likely interested, but will end up elsewhere)
8) Mike Mularkey (Probably wants the job, but not the best candidate)
9) Eric Studesville (Not the likeliest candidate, but will get some consideration)
10) Ed Donatell (A dark horse candidate, who will likely get an interview if the team is not sold on one of the others)

In the end, if we can not land Garrett, I believe it will be a toss-up between Fassel and Dennison.

Actually, Fewell was one of the first names mentioned by Adam Schefter when McD got fired.

At this point, Fassel is an awful coach. He can't get a job in the NFL. He wanted the Oakland job a few years back.

You know your coaching career has hit rock bottom when you actually want the Oakland job...... and don't get it.

I will be soo angry with Fassel. I don't want Garrett either. Denver needs a defensive coach.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Actually, Fewell was one of the first names mentioned by Adam Schefter when McD got fired.

At this point, Fassel is an awful coach. He can't get a job in the NFL. He wanted the Oakland job a few years back.

You know your coaching career has hit rock bottom when you actually want the Oakland job...... and don't get it.

I will be soo angry with Fassel. I don't want Garrett either. Denver needs a defensive coach.

And yet, we continually have favored offensive coaches...it's just a fact that our owner is an offensive minded gentleman. By the way, Adam Schefter mentioned Fewell as someone the Broncos' could look at, it was an opinionative open-ended statement with no value and based on nothing coming from inside the organization itself.

Fassel wanted to be a head coach, and I'm sure Gruden, Cable and Madden would argue over your assessment of the position in Oakland. The issue isn't coaching the team, but having to be under the senile, Al Davis who is less patient then a rattlesnake! We as Bronco fans are biased when it comes to the Raiders, but I can fully understand why he wanted the job. He was up for the Redskins job, he did a hell of a job in New York, so I'd say that your opinion of Fassel is based upon nothing more then what little you know about him...sorry if that sounds rude, but the man helped mold Elway into the quarterback he'd become...and a lot of people put the blame on him for what happened in Baltimore, but fact is that Billick ran the offense not Fassel and look who he had to work with anyways...who the hell wants Kyle Boller for a quarterback? That offense was horrid because Billick not Fassel. And Bowlen was going to hire Fassel to be the head coach here before, that is until Shanahan said he'd take the job.

Garrett is proving to be a solid candidate, and I'd be pleased if he was named the head coach, chances are slim....and we know that the Broncos already have an interest in him, he was a finalist for the job here last time. Dennison will get another look as well, because he is tied to this organization in several ways...it makes sense, even if you don't like it. And if we go defensive head coaches, I'd want Rivera over Fewell in a heartbeat, so to each his own.

;)

dogfish
12-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Im interested in Perry Fewell.... or Russ Grimm

fo reals. . . bowlen needs to let go of this "return to mediocre football" horseshit and make a serious hire this time. . .

if we end up with brian xanders and jim fossil, i'm taking a gun to doves cry valley. . .

dogfish
12-18-2010, 03:14 PM
somebody just posted an article on the mane discussing the possibility of xanders being promoted to full GM and being given final authority over personnel. . .

why not just hire matt millen and have done?

:facepalm:

we can promote studesville as the permanent head coach, and kept martindale and mccoy as coordinators. . . and get jake delhomme as the starting quarterback. . .

Lancane
12-18-2010, 03:27 PM
fo reals. . . bowlen needs to let go of this "return to mediocre football" horseshit and make a serious hire this time. . .

if we end up with brian xanders and jim fossil, i'm taking a PAINT gun to doves cry valley. . .

There I fixed it for you...:laugh:

Only because I know it's a possibility, I'd give the Fossil/Xanders combo a chance before I condemned it. A lot of people complained about hiring Shanahan as the head coach as well.

;)

dogfish
12-18-2010, 04:11 PM
bill callahan
rod marinelli
marty morninwheg
bob slowick
wade philips
dan hawkins
lane kiffen
bobby petrino

Slick
12-18-2010, 04:30 PM
don't go jumping off any cliffs dogfish. . .

The Experience
12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
And look where the "Offensive" strategy has gotten us lately. Shanny fell apart, and McDaniels was a McDisaster.

We need a defensive genius. I like Rivera, would love to have him as coach. But Fewell is my guy, a lot of great things were said about him as Buffalo's interim coach. He probably should have gotten that job instead of Gailey.

The Denver D needs an identity, something we haven't had one since the SB days. Fewell will bring a physical, mean toughness that we have not seen since the Orange Crush.

Denver needs to Fewell up the punishment!

Dirk
12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorry but I don't like Fewell as a head coach either.

Just like Nolan, I think Fewell is fine as a coordinator, but I'm not liking him for HC.

I am with dog on this one. No.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Gary Kubiack
Jim Fassel
Mike Nolan
Rick Dennison

This list is a C+ survey. Not impressed.

IMHO, if we hire one of these coaches, we are simply aiming to find a way to get afloat, and not ahead. None of these coaches do anything whatsoever for me.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Gary Kubiack
Jim Fassel
Mike Nolan
Rick Dennison

IMHO, if we hire one of these coaches, we are simply aiming to find a way to get afloat, and not ahead. None of these coaches do anything whatsoever for me.

I don't really want Nolan nor Kubiak but am fine with Fassel and Dennison, I'd also be alright with Garrett or Rivera. They may not be my first choices, that would be Dirk Koetter or Joe Lombardi, but I'd be happy with anyone of those four, I'd also be alright with Gruden or Harbaugh...but of all those mentioned, I feel that Fassel and Dennison are not only solid but will come at a better price.

Dirk
12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't really want Nolan nor Kubiak but am fine with Fassel and Dennison, I'd also be alright with Garrett or Rivera. They may not be my first choices, that would be Dirk Koetter or Joe Lombardi, but I'd be happy with anyone of those four, I'd also be alright with Gruden or Harbaugh...but of all those mentioned, I feel that Fassel and Dennison are not only solid but will come at a better price.

I am hoping that isn't going to hold them back from getting a solid HC.

I know they say it isn't going to factor into it, but you never know.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Gary Kubiack
Jim Fassel
Mike Nolan
Rick Dennison

Can't say that I'm completely in disagreement...but who are your choices?

dogfish
12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry but I don't like Fewell as a head coach either.

Just like Nolan, I think Fewell is fine as a coordinator, but I'm not liking him for HC.

I am with dog on this one. No.

huh?

i like fewell, he's one of my top choices. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
12-18-2010, 08:24 PM
bill callahan
rod marinelli
marty morninwheg
bob slowick
wade philips
dan hawkins
lane kiffen
bobby petrino

Stop, Stop, STOP!!! OWWW you're giving me the Brain Pain! :banghead::lalala:

horsepig
12-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Dennison & Rivera. Both seem to have a LOT on the ball.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Can't say that I'm completely in disagreement...but who are your choices?

I don't really know. I think I want a young hot coordinator that is surrounded by a solid GM and front office and just hope we knock one out of the park. I think McDaniels was a great idea simply because he was an unknown hope but obviously that failed miserably, and I think alot of that was nobody holding him back and saving him from himself.

I know what I don't want, and that's a rehashed old coach that either failed (maybe a handful of exceptions), been out of the game (Fassel - I do not understand the fascination with this guy...he is a goofy guy) or an older coorindator that has never been a HC(Dennison).

IMHO the NFL contineously evolves, and ther are plenty of young HC's in their first stint around the NFL that are doing great things and surrounded by a solid nucleus of management above him. I would love to see this here in Denver.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 09:58 PM
anybody know if butch davis is available?

Ravage!!!
12-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't really know. I think I want a young hot coordinator that is surrounded by a solid GM and front office and just hope we knock one out of the park. I think McDaniels was a great idea simply because he was an unknown hope but obviously that failed miserably, and I think alot of that was nobody holding him back and saving him from himself.

I know what I don't want, and that's a rehashed old coach that either failed (maybe a handful of exceptions), been out of the game (Fassel - I do not understand the fascination with this guy...he is a goofy guy) or an older coorindator that has never been a HC(Dennison).

IMHO the NFL contineously evolves, and ther are plenty of young HC's in their first stint around the NFL that are doing great things and surrounded by a solid nucleus of management above him. I would love to see this here in Denver.

Yeah.. but we've seen a lot of HC's miss on their first try, and succeed elsewhere. Belicheck, Coughlin and even Shanahan. So I'm not sure I agree with you on that point. In fact, to me its more likely to fail on your first attempt and learn from past mistakes.

Also.. I don't buy into this notion that the NFL passes people by. Doesn't really make sense since teams today are using the same offenses and defense that have been around since the 60's. Nothing has changed.. hell, even the famed "wild horses" offense is nothing more than the single wing. Football is football, and if you understand football it doesn't matter how old you are.

I"m alllll with you as far as having a solid GM that supports the coaching staff. I just curious if there is someone you DO want, or if you just know whom you don't?

I know you are pretty down on the Broncos, right now. So I'm curious if its a situation that you won't like no matter who is hired, or if you have someone in mind that you would like to see... a plan...something other than just 'generalities'?

dogfish
12-18-2010, 10:50 PM
ya know, dave wannstedt was fired recently. . .

just sayin'. . . :D

Lancane
12-18-2010, 11:07 PM
If only this was about who I wanted, not who the team will look at then the list is far different.

1) Dirk Koetter (Offensive Coordinator) Jacksonville Jaguars

2) Joe Lombardi (Quarterbacks Coach) New Orleans Saints

3) Ron Rivera (Defensive Coordinator) San Diego Chargers

4) Brian Schottenheimer (Offensive Coordinator) New York Jets

5) Keith Butler (Linebackers Coach) Pittsburgh Steelers

6) Jason Garrett (Interim Head Coach) Dallas Cowboys

7) Sean McDermott (Defensive Coordinator) Philadelphia Eagles

8) Mike Pettine (Defensive Coordinator) New York Jets

9) Brian Van Gorder (Defensive Coordinator) Atlanta Falcons

10) Rick Dennison (Offensive Coordinator) Houston Texans

chazoe60
12-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Why not give Rich Kotite a call?

In all seriousness though I would like Harbaugh or Dennison. I like Harbaugh and I think the Elway Stanford connection could have some sway. Also I remember an interview many many years ago in which Harbaugh gushed about how much he admired Elway. He said Elway was his idol, so that's a little bit of useless knowledge for ya.

dogfish
12-18-2010, 11:16 PM

what do you think about dave campo?

:heh:

Lancane
12-18-2010, 11:17 PM

In all seriousness though I would like Harbaugh or Dennison. I like Harbaugh and I think the Elway Stanford connection could have some sway. Also I remember an interview many many years ago in which Harbaugh gushed about how much he admired Elway. He said Elway was his idol, so that's a little bit of useless knowledge for ya.

Problem is that Harbaugh would likely want Luck, just like Mini-Napoleon wanted Cassel instead of Cutler...he might not want to even try the Tebow T-Bone, but rather stick with his Lucky Porterhouse!

red98
12-18-2010, 11:20 PM

Ray Handley (aka the original McDaniels) is available.

Lancane
12-18-2010, 11:27 PM

http://www.brainfuel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/The-Godfather-Poster.jpg

Dog be serious...do you remember the horse? :eek: Broncos-Horse-Broncos-Horse!

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/godfather%20horse%20head%20scene.jpg

Don't you think we suffered enough under McDaniels, now you want our heads chopped off...no thank you!

:lol:

dogfish
12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
it's what joe ellis wants, cane, not what i want. . .

red98
12-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Ray Handley (aka the original McDaniels) is available.

FYI: Following the Giants' second title in Super Bowl XXV that season, Parcells announced his retirement, and Handley was then promoted his first head coaching position on May 15, 1991.

George Young picked Handley to serve as head coach of the Giants after then-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick left to coach the Cleveland Browns. Belichick, who eventually won 3 Super Bowls as the head coach of the New England Patriots has said that not being offered the Giants head coaching job was his most embarrassing career moment...

...With Handley in charge of the following training camp, after the resignation of Bill Parcells, he announced that the two quarterbacks, Simms and Hostetler , would compete for the starting job. This caused some controversy...

...Handley was officially fired on December 30, 1992, and replaced by former Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves. Following his departure, Handley would disappear from the NFL and the public eye. He now resides in the Lake Tahoe, California area...

(you're right Dog, you don't want to know ;))

silkamilkamonico
12-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah.. but we've seen a lot of HC's miss on their first try, and succeed elsewhere. Belicheck, Coughlin and even Shanahan. So I'm not sure I agree with you on that point. In fact, to me its more likely to fail on your first attempt and learn from past mistakes.

Also.. I don't buy into this notion that the NFL passes people by. Doesn't really make sense since teams today are using the same offenses and defense that have been around since the 60's. Nothing has changed.. hell, even the famed "wild horses" offense is nothing more than the single wing. Football is football, and if you understand football it doesn't matter how old you are.

I"m alllll with you as far as having a solid GM that supports the coaching staff. I just curious if there is someone you DO want, or if you just know whom you don't?

I know you are pretty down on the Broncos, right now. So I'm curious if its a situation that you won't like no matter who is hired, or if you have someone in mind that you would like to see... a plan...something other than just 'generalities'?

I think that's just what I would rather go with. I'm sure it's a possibility of hiring a coach on his second stint and be successuful, I just look at these guys like Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin and think they were just meant to be great coaches out of the gate and hope to get someone like them. I know Tomlin got hired into a great situation, but he has done an outstanding job running that entire ship on Sunday's IMHO. Great PR guys, great character, and great coaches.

I think the NFL has changed so much even in the last 10 years. Defenses have evolved back to the 3-4 with modifications of these freak huge fast LB's, guys like Patrick Willis running 4.4s, humongous dlinemen like Mario Williams who are 6-9 and incredibly athletic, there are so many things you can do to be successful, and I wouldn't want someone who's stuck in their ways. Offenses have become so passing friendly with the rules, you're seeing these innovative passing schemes in spread attacks. IMHO for a game that's predicated on brute spreed and strength, it's become such a chess match in scheme and execution.

I think I'm at the point right now where I just need to see someone succeed on the field. I was excited with McDaniels but was obviously completely wrong about him. I'll have my preferences and my distastes, but I'll wait and see what happens on the field before I copletely buy into the next coach.

Dirk
12-19-2010, 09:22 AM
huh?

i like fewell, he's one of my top choices. . .

Oh my bad! I read that wrong. I still wouldn't pick him for HC. :lol:

Elevation inc
12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
meh I officially decided today I am 100% on the rick dennison bandwagon, i was last year and was hoping he got the job, and I'm a fan this year still and hope he gets the job.....wouldnt it be something though to have dennison as HC and kubiak as OC here...lol, that might actually be cool and work.....

HORSEPOWER 56
12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I really don't want anyone from the Shanahan tree unless it's at a coordinator spot. I'd take Kubes back as the OC, but i don't want him or Dennison as the HC. We've moved past the Shanahan era and now, thank God, we're past the McDaniels era, too. I want experienced football people who are defensive minded and love to run the ball.

Say what you want about the passing game, but the teams that run the ball and play stout defense are going to the playoffs this year. New England is the only real pass happy team that is a lock for the post season.

Indy is currently fighting for their life and Green Bay (who actually does play defense, but can't run) is on it's last legs now that their QB is down.

Pound the rock, stop the run, rush the passer, play action pass. Those are my priorities, in order. Those are the priorities I'd like the new staff to have. :cool:

Elevation inc
12-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I really don't want anyone from the Shanahan tree unless it's at a coordinator spot. I'd take Kubes back as the OC, but i don't want him or Dennison as the HC. We've moved past the Shanahan era and now, thank God, we're past the McDaniels era, too. I want experienced football people who are defensive minded and love to run the ball.

Say what you want about the passing game, but the teams that run the ball and play stout defense are going to the playoffs this year. New England is the only real pass happy team that is a lock for the post season.

Indy is currently fighting for their life and Green Bay (who actually does play defense, but can't run) is on it's last legs now that their QB is down.

Pound the rock, stop the run, rush the passer, play action pass. Those are my priorities, in order. Those are the priorities I'd like the new staff to have. :cool:

dennison knows quite a bit about running the ball, and also he is a coach with a defensive background who can coach with a explosive offensive mind as well, sounds pretty good to me.....but i understand your worry about the shanny tree:beer:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-19-2010, 03:43 PM
dennison knows quite a bit about running the ball, and also he is a coach with a defensive background who can coach with a explosive offensive mind as well, sounds pretty good to me.....but i understand your worry about the shanny tree:beer:

I understand what you're getting at. I'm just worried if someone like Dennison gets the job he'll just turn around and surround himself with ex-Shanahan guys like Kubiak and before you know it, we'll be right back to where we were at the end of '08. Better than we are now, but still lacking what it really takes to be successful.

Kubiak is losing again today (badly). With a great offense and a D-line LOADED with the first rounders that we would've drafted had we had the chance and that we all drooled about over here (Mario Williams, Omobi Okoye, etc) and great LBs (Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing). The Texans roster is arguably MUCH more talented than we are, yet they can't make the playoffs either, and are flat out getting spanked right now.

That's completely on Kubiak. It always has been. He has the same problem Shanny does... he can't beat Manning and he can't win divisional games down the stretch when they matter most. I just can't see Rick Dennison being any different.

Frankly, I'd rather have John Fox or Jeff Fischer - and I really don't want either of them, I just don't want any ex-Shanahanites more...

Elevation inc
12-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I understand what you're getting at. I'm just worried if someone like Dennison gets the job he'll just turn around and surround himself with ex-Shanahan guys like Kubiak and before you know it, we'll be right back to where we were at the end of '08. Better than we are now, but still lacking what it really takes to be successful.

Kubiak is losing again today (badly). With a great offense and a D-line LOADED with the first rounders that we would've drafted had we had the chance and that we all drooled about over here (Mario Williams, Omobi Okoye, etc) and great LBs (Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing). The Texans roster is arguably MUCH more talented than we are, yet they can't make the playoffs either, and are flat out getting spanked right now.

That's completely on Kubiak. It always has been. He has the same problem Shanny does... he can't beat Manning and he can't win divisional games down the stretch when they matter most. I just can't see Rick Dennison being any different.

Frankly, I'd rather have John Fox or Jeff Fischer - and I really don't want either of them, I just don't want any ex-Shanahanites more...

well i dont really want kubiak here i just thought it was funny from a standpoint where kubiak would have to work under his current OC...lol...i want dennison becasue he is smart enough to be his own coach and not a shanny clone....