PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from our Auction draft...

LordTrychon
08-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Our setup is a little odd... $150 to spend on 10 starters... then we go Serpentine after that.

The downside (although I see the reasoning as well) is that if I got great value on two WRs... which I did... and then Marshall is going at a better value later (probably because of his suspension which I was planning on being reduced, as it was) I can't get him because I already have 2 WR... even though I have plenty money left.

Oh well... Here's what I got...

Starters...

QB
Drew Brees

RB
Willie Parker
Julius Jones

WR
Andre Johnson
Santonio Holmes

TE
Kellen Winslow

DL
Justin Tuck

LB
Julian Peterson

DB
Adrian Wilson

K
Shayne Graham

In the Serpentine Rds, I picked the following

QB
Jason Campbell

RB
Jonathan Stewart
Lendale White

WR
Kevin Curtis
Anthony Gonzales

TE
Donald Lee

DL
Robert Mathis

LB
Shaun Phillips

DB
Champ Bailey

K
Kris Brown

MOtorboat
08-29-2008, 07:43 AM
So do the guys in the serpentine rounds just cost a $1 when it comes to trading and what not?

dogfish
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
i don't know jack about auction drafts, but i do know this-- the RBs you got in the serpentine rounds are way better than the ones you got in the auction!

MOtorboat
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
i don't know jack about auction drafts, but i do know this-- the RBs you got in the serpentine rounds are way better than the ones you got in the auction!

Len-whale?

I tried an ESPN Auction draft...it was interesting, and kind of challenging. I think it would be easier sitting at a bar with a bunch of buddies.

QB - Jay Cutler $15
RB - Marion Barber $36
RB - Ronnie Brown $26
RB/WR - Hines Ward $13
WR - Randy Moss $40
WR - Plaxico Burress $20
TE - Antonio Gates $17
D/ST - Steelers $1
K - Matt Stover $1
Bench - Calvin Johnson $14
Bench - Donald Driver $10
Bench - Jason Campbell $3
Bench - Deuce McAllister $1
Bench - Tatum Bell $1
Bench - Vernon Davis $1
Bench - Vincent Jackson

In Draft - Reggie Williams $1
In Draft - Bengals $1

Picked up Vincent Jackson and the Steelers D after the draft.

LordTrychon
08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
So do the guys in the serpentine rounds just cost a $1 when it comes to trading and what not?

I think all transactions cost $1 regardless of player cost at auction. The Serpentine guys didn't really go for any money, as some players had money left at the end of filling in their roster, and others had none. I got to take the second pick because I had a bit left.

Dog... Yeah, there's a few really smart guys in this league who know almost as much about Football as I do... but enough of them that don't that I was kinda counting on being able to get a few steals in the serpentine. Having some cash left helped that (getting Stewart with the 2nd). Second tier running backs were going for first tier running back money. I was shocked. So I got the QB I wanted, one of my top picks for WR and then hoped to get a few serpentine steals.

This year, I'm not stuck in the same division as the other smart guys... one of them even came up to me and checked to make sure we weren't in the same division again. We ended up third best last year... and playing stronger than the two in front of us (on a serious tear) but because there was only room for the three division winners and a wildcard, we got screwed. The other guy agreed.

This year, I think we've got two of the rookies in our division. :devil:

Seriously... the difference of knowledge in the room is so funny. You've got some guys making comments on how certain picks are steals etc... then you've got the guy only half paying attention.

"We pick.... Matt Leinart"

"What position?"

:laugh:

dogfish
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Len-whale?

he's nothing great, but over julius jones? abso-freakin'-lutely! lendale had 1,200 total yards and 7 TDs last year, and it should be about the same this year. . . the titans love to run the ball, and have a tough, physical O-line. . . and don't tell me chris johnson is going to steal that many carries-- he's mostly going to get the touches that chris brown and chris henry got last year, and be involved in the passing game. . . lendale's still going to get the goal line work, and that's crucial for a #2 fantasy back. . .

julius jones, OTOH, will probably split carries about evenly with maurice morris. . . and he's never been all that good in the red zone-- leonard weaver or owen schmitt might mooch some of his attempts. . . besides, seattle is one of the pass-heaviest offenses in the league, and holmgren is glad to abandon the running game completely if it isn't working early in the game. . . last year thaeir offense was far more effective when they went to the spread and let hasselbeck work out of the shotgun. . .

i'll take lendale over julius jones as a fantasy back any day of the week, and stewart over willie parker as well-- watch, carolina's running game will be head and shoulders better than pittsburgh's this year. . . parker has no line, and now mendenhall's looking over his shoulder-- dude had a whopping 2 TDs last year, and he'll be yard pressed to get more than twice that this year. . . he MAY have more yards than stewart, although it's not guaranteed, but i'll take the guy with huge upside that's likely to be the focus of his offense in the red zone. . .

LT, if i had that team i'd try to trade julius jones for deangelo williams. . .