PDA

View Full Version : Defense, Injury Report, Fun Facts, and More...

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 01:25 AM
LAst article, I don't want to flood the forums with them.... I thought this was a good read. The full article talks about Alexander and Elam as well, but I chose not to include them. The injury report is what I find most interesting...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5702273,00.html

Clock's ticking

Broncos defensive coordinator Jim Bates, whose unit has surrendered 312 yards rushing in two games, said he likes plenty about what the defense has done so far overall, but that the run defense has lagged behind some as the team begins its first season with his scheme.

"It's just taken more time than what we're used to and what we need to,'' Bates said. "But yet it was six plays in the whole game -- it was like 50 plays for 90-some yards -- a lot of positive things.''

The Raiders had four runs of 19 yards or longer in the game -- 19, 21, 20 and 33 -- and the 46-yard touchdown from Josh McCown to Jerry Porter was their only pass play of 20 yards or more.

That meant the Raiders gained 139 of their 253 total yards on those five plays. Still, those big-play runs are glaring when Bates looks at the production.

"You can deal with the 10-, 12-yard runs, but when they get 20, 25, 30, that's when you've got to tighten up,'' Bates said.

Injury report

Safety Hamza Abdullah (hip) did not practice Wednesday and is not expected to be available to play Sunday while cornerback Domonique Foxworth (right ankle) was listed by the Broncos as having taken part in all of the workout.

Foxworth had the ankle heavily taped throughout the day, but was running on the practice field.

Defensive tackle Tim Crowder, who has not played yet this season because of an ankle injury he originally suffered in combined workouts with the Cowboys last month, practiced fully and said he believes he's healthy enough to play. "I'm definitely ready to go,'' Crowder said.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said kicker Josh Scobee (thigh) would be out for Sunday's game, which means the Jaguars will use veteran John Carney to kick once again.

Among those who did not practice for the Jaguars Wednesday were defensive tackle John Henderson (head) and guard Chris Naeole (back).

Etc.

• Jaguars running back Fred Taylor needs 415 more rushing yards to reach 10,000 in his career. Splitting carries with Maurice Jones-Drew, Taylor has 72 yards on 22 carries this season.

• As they have in the previous two weeks, the Broncos held defensive tackle Sam Adams out of Wednesday's practice. He did conditioning work in the team's weight room and is expected to practice today.

• Sunday's game will be the Jaguars first visit to Denver since 1998.

Numbers game

53 percent of the Broncos points this season have been scored by kicker Jason Elam. Elam has 20 points -- two extra points to go with six field goals -- and the Broncos have scored 38 overall.

He said it

"And the quarterback is an exciting young player. He can run it, he can throw it. He looks to be fearless.''
Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio on Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler's play so far this season.

broncosinindy
09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
LAst article, I don't want to flood the forums with them.... I thought this was a good read. The full article talks about Alexander and Elam as well, but I chose not to include them. The injury report is what I find most interesting...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5702273,00.html

Crowder is not a defensive tackle. Although with his strenngth he could add the weight and become one.

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Crowder is not a defensive tackle. Although with his strenngth he could add the weight and become one.

Heh, I didn;t catch that before. You think the writer wouldn't make an error like tht on a DE that was drafted this year.

Crowder a tackle? I don't know about that, especially in Bates system :) .