Source?

Keep tuned my friend people dont give sources they want to keep :D

Northman
12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
That would be disappointing.

Buff
12-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Are you european or just slow? The expression is "stay tuned". Now delete this made-up thread.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Are you european or just slow? The expression is "stay tuned". Now delete this made-up thread.

does it matter if I'm european or alien?

will you apologize when you hear official word of this? Might even be done tonight, definitely by monday

BeefStew25
12-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Calm slow, Buff. Keep your cold.

BeefStew25
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
does it matter if I'm european or alien?

will you apologize when you hear official word of this? Might even be done tonight, definitely by monday

If not tonight, then a week from tonight. Awesome.

Dman444
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Can't negotiate until they appease the Rooney rule.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
If not tonight, then a week from tonight. Awesome.

it's going to come down to a few factors.

Do they announce after air forces bowl game or before?

and how soon they want him to start on the job.

Nomad

Ron Rivera!!

TXBRONC
Calm slow, Buff. Keep your cold.

Beef have you been drinking because you sentences are making less and less sense as the night goes on? :D

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Those are all technicalities that get taken care of. They will interview someone over the telephone to satisfy the rule.

getlynched47
12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Source, or shut the hell up :coffee:

G_Money
12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
:rolleyes:

~G

Lancane
A) First the Broncos have to interview candidates to appease the 'Rooney Rule' to even negotiate before that is a violation of league regulations.

B) Bowlen will look at more then one candidate period, there has not been enough time to evaluate possible commitments from other candidates and interview them, that is also a violation of the league's policies.

C) If they hire Troy Calhoun for anything other then OC, then I will piss dragon's fire and melt their expensive SUV's into nothing but a molten puddle.

cardoso
Source, or shut the hell up :coffee:

I won't argue with you guys. All i ask is for apology when it's announced.

silkamilkamonico
12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Moronic thread count +5 for Cardoso.

I do not need to say any more...

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I won't argue with you guys. All i ask is for apology when it's announced.

It won't be for sometime, it can not be announced till after our season is officially over and then Bowlen will have to pay fines for not abiding league policy...if he's dumb enough to do it, then he deserves the fine that he'll be receiving.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
A) First the Broncos have to interview candidates to appease the 'Rooney Rule' to even negotiate before that is a violation of league regulations.

B) Bowlen will look at more then one candidate period, there has not been enough time to evaluate possible commitments from other candidates and interview them, that is also a violation of the league's policies.

A- how do YOU know they haven't already interviewed someone? For all we know they been interviewing all week.

B-how do you know time frames??? For all you know they've been interviewing for the past month. Owners don't care about rooney rule and that's the truth. They will hire who they want minority or not. Rooney rule is just technicalities. Rest assured Bowlen has it taken care of.

ogplife
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Ron Rivera!!

Forgot about Rivera. I'll add him to Harbough and Rob Ryan as my hopefuls.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
A- how do YOU know they haven't already interviewed someone? For all we know they been interviewing all week.

B-how do you know time frames??? For all you know they've been interviewing for the past month. Owners don't care about rooney rule and that's the truth. They will hire who they want minority or not. Rooney rule is just technicalities. Rest assured Bowlen has it taken care of.

:coffee:

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
It won't be for sometime, it can not be announced till after our season is officially over and then Bowlen will have to pay fines for not abiding league policy...if he's dumb enough to do it, then he deserves the fine that he'll be receiving.

It can be announced when they want. How do you know what bowlen has or hasn't done? You think bowlen woke up this morning and decide to fire and hire someone in one day? Mcdaniels has been a dead man walking for some time now.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Forgot about Rivera. I'll add him to Harbough and Rob Ryan as my hopefuls.

Lancane started the bandwagon.....I jumped on!!

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
:coffee:

I just hope all us fans can be united again!!!!!!

Troy Calhoun has known about this for some time as well. Now it makes sense why he turned down all the other opportunities from other colleges he had this year! Smart guy! he stayed put hoping the Broncos would call! Bowlen loves this guy!

GEM
12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Les Shapiro from Channel 4 and 87.7 The Ticket is reporting that they are in negotiations.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:20 PM
MODS-

Please don't lock this! or if you do Please re-open when it's announced!

its a good hire guys!!!! Very excited!!

broken12
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
lol les shapiro on 87.7 in denver is reporting that they are negotiating with calhoun now!, wouldnt mind if it was him, dont bring in sundquist with! calhoun is a bronco and would bring back a way of winning that we know works here! we still have most of the offense to go back to zone scheme and morony who mike shannahan said is the perfect one cut zone back! now what about the defense!@

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
It can be announced when they want. How do you know what bowlen has or hasn't done? You think bowlen woke up this morning and decide to fire and hire someone in one day? Mcdaniels has been a dead man walking for some time now.

First off, your being a loud mouth...you won't find much respect here in acting this way. And secondly, I grew up in and around the sport. If they could hire at will, Al Davis would have done it several times already, that's a guarantee. The only coaches that can be moved to the head coach position during the season are those named interim head coaches. The only other move a team can make during the season is internally, such as promoting or firing.

And I might add that Bowlen will have some fine levied against him from the league, he can do it...but there will be a fine...period. At least they can not take a first round pick from us for it.

Dzone
12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
LMAO...thats some funny zhyt right there :flame::flame::censored:

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
we have our coach. Now maybe an even more important decision is who will be GM?

Nomad
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Must be rumor spreading over the radio, because if true, BigDaddyBronco is right.....Bowlen has lost it!!

BroncoBJ
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM

C) If they hire Troy Calhoun for anything other then OC, then I will piss dragon's fire and melt their expensive SUV's into nothing but a molten puddle.

Well Maybe if they do the opposite of what you want, then we will be in good shape. You vouched hard for McDaniels to be our headcoach back in 2009. Had him all over your sig and everything. :lol:

So now maybe if they don't do what you want, it could be a good thing. :elefant:

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:26 PM
First off, your being a loud mouth...you won't find much respect here in acting this way. And secondly, I grew up in and around the sport. If they could hire at will, Al Davis would have done it several times already, that's a guarantee. The only coaches that can be moved to the head coach position during the season are those named interim head coaches. The only other move a team can make during the season is internally, such as promoting or firing.

And I might add that Bowlen will have some fine levied against him from the league, he can do it...but there will be a fine...period. At least they can not take a first round pick from us for it.

Loud Mouth??? mmm ok I'm just lettin everyone know who our next coach is and you on the other side want to fight with me over it for some reason.....ummm ok but i wont entertain you....Think what you want....post on my friend....post on....

Go broncos!

ikillz0mbies
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Too much drama to take in all in one day. And did anyone notice that the OP high-fived his own post??!?!

Anyway, to make a fire then a hire before the season is over is ridiculous. Bowlen would truly be dumb if he didn't explore ALL his options. No way is this going to happen. If it does, it's going to be after the season.

Lancane
Must be rumor spreading over the radio, because if true, BigDaddyBronco is right.....Bowlen has lost it!!

That's no lie, I like Calhoun as an offensive coordinator candidate. But, holy hell...it's not bad enough our 'former' head coach violated league policies but now our owner will?

Maybe Silk was right that Bowlen want's to waste the franchise into oblivion?

:eek:

BroncoWave
Because a radio rumor has never been wrong! :lol:

Hey cardoso, I have some beach front property to sell you!

cardoso
Well Maybe if they do the opposite of what you want, then we will be in good shape. You vouched hard for McDaniels to be our headcoach back in 2009. Had him all over your sig and everything. :lol:

So now maybe if they don't do what you want, it could be a good thing. :elefant:

so that dude is a mcdaniels pundit! that explains why he's mad at my posts lol I wonder if MCD has run in his range rover for that guy to go with him ? :coffee:

Zweems56
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Can we change this thread title? I almost had a goddamn heart attack.

BroncoBJ
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
so that dude is a mcdaniels pundit! that explains why he's mad at my posts lol I wonder if MCD has run in his range rover for that guy to go with him ? :coffee:

Naw, he hates McDaniels now. And has hated him for a while I think. But I do know that he did want McDaniels initially. :fight:

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM

You have a point, but then again I turned on him sooner then the masses did...such as, ummm...you!

:lol:

I don't mind Calhoun, I just think that he's a questionable hire when he doesn't have much experience. We just went through all that with McDaniels, if Calhoun does no better, then fans will turn on Bowlen.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:30 PM

I posted this long before any radio rumor. I don't even live in denver, but I do know a certain someone close to troy at airforce.

Maybe you can find out when i posted my thread and when the radio interviews were on???

either way i dont really care what you people like you think. If you don't believe me then don't post. Leave the thread :confused:

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Nope, I hate that 'Bitch' with a passion Cardoso, and I'm sorry...I'm not mad at you...but pissed at Bowlen, this could be a stupid move. Calhoun has very little experience to actually be given such a position IMHO.

Nomad

It's not him/her that makes it convincing or a little skeptical, it was when GEM posted she was hearing the same thing. I know you take this with a grain of salt but the rumor isn't just made up by the OP, unless GEM is in on it!!:suspicious: Right now anything Bowlen does won't surprise me!!

cardoso
Naw, he hates McDaniels now. And has hated him for a while I think. But I do know that he did want McDaniels initially. :fight:

well anyone that hates mcdaniels is ok in my books :beer:

BroncoBJ
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
You have a point, but then again I turned on him sooner then the masses did...such as, ummm...you!

I don't mind Calhoun, I just think that he's a questionable hire when he doesn't have much experience. We just went through all that with McDaniels, if Calhoun does no better, then fans will turn on Bowlen.

I havn't turned on him. Still havn't. I feel that McDaniels will be a good head coach somewhere else down the line. I like the guy. Sad hes fired but now just gotta move on. Been a Broncos fan before, during, and after McDaniels. So nothing I can do about it. McD was 1 of the 3 I wanted in 2009.

Not even sure who I want now. I think I'm just going to try not to care so that way I won't get pissed or happy with whatever happen.

The thing I like about Calhoun is that hes been here before and was here when we last made the playoffs a few times. :elefant:

Don't want a college head coach as our coach though.

BroncoWave
12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
well anyone that hates mcdaniels is ok in my books :beer:

I think anyone who literally "hates" the head coach of a football team really needs to get a life. It's just a freaking game. It's not like he murdered someone or raped babies or anything.

atwater27
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
we have our coach. Now maybe an even more important decision is who will be GM?

Are you for real?

silkamilkamonico
So this is for real? Are we really going back to this garbage zoneblocking scheme? Are we going to run the flexbone? Are we going to move this defense back to the 4-3, which is probably the biggest mistake of all in this?

Wow. I give him 3 years and then we can finally get a real head coach in here.

Lancane
It's not him/her that makes it convincing or a little skeptical, it was when GEM posted she was hearing the same thing. I know you take this with a grain of salt but the rumor isn't just made up by the OP, unless GEM is in on it!!:suspicious: Right now anything Bowlen does won't surprise me!!

Maybe we're changing our name and logo...the Denver Cuckoo Birds! :lol:

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Nope, I hate that 'Bitch' with a passion Cardoso, and I'm sorry...I'm not mad at you...but pissed at Bowlen, this could be a stupid move. Calhoun has very little experience to actually be given such a position IMHO.

I hope all bronco fans unite again! A stupid coach divided alot of us!

from what I know Troy is GREAT guy very respected and people love him!
he has experience with shanny and kubiac. he's one of the hottest college coaches and although he doesn't have NFL head coach experience he does have alot of NFL experience. I'm not so much worried about NFL inexperience for our new coach. haley, Spags, and Rahim have done great jobs and they took over piece of crap teams! I'm hopeful and opportunistic for this hire!

Dzone
sandy clough is gushing about Troy Calhoun...said he is a GREAT HC at any level...

Lancane
I think anyone who literally "hates" the head coach of a football team really needs to get a life. It's just a freaking game. It's not like he murdered someone or raped babies or anything.

That's just wrong Bailey...Just so freakin' wrong! ;)

Mike
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Why the rush? I doubt Calhoun is in demand. Why not bring in a real GM and give him input on the HC? And does Bowlen gamble on another young inexperienced HC? Puzzling. :confused:

silkamilkamonico
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I havn't turned on him. Still havn't. I feel that McDaniels will be a good head coach somewhere else down the line.

Yea I will cheer for him in his next destination. I absolutely love offensive scheme, and think it's going to be a premium in the NFL when he actually has a good QB. But I am glad he is done in Denver. He just burnt too many bridges and damaged the organization to an extent where it needed to be rebuilt by somebody else.

BroncoWave
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
That's just wrong Bailey...Just so freakin' wrong! ;)

Just putting things into perspective. You'd think he is a terrorist or something based on the anger and vitriol geared towards him. Some people need to gain some perspective and realize this is just a game.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM

sorry I don't know if you live in CO or not but to ALOT of people The broncos ARE MORE than just a game. That what makes them or at one point was one of the best teams in all of sports.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Are you for real?

yes! I wish I had some kind of way to prove it but i really can't. All I can do is just take the bashing and wait for the announcement.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Why the rush? I doubt Calhoun is in demand. Why not bring in a real GM and give him input on the HC? And does Bowlen gamble on another young inexperienced HC? Puzzling. :confused:

calhoun is acutally in high demand on the NCAA level and many feel he can succeed in the NFL.

BroncoBJ
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Yea I will cheer for him in his next destination. I absolutely love offensive scheme, and think it's going to be a premium in the NFL when he actually has a good QB. But I am glad he is done in Denver. He just burnt too many bridges and damaged the organization to an extent where it needed to be rebuilt by somebody else.

At least you still got a little love for him and will root for him elsewhere. I probably will root for him to suceed unless he goes to a team I hate, or unless he comes out and just bashes the Broncos and the organazation.

But I've read from different people online that said they would kill him and know where his kids go to school and some real psycho comments I've read. ( not on a msg board), but just crazy how people can hate the guy that much.

I just liked him and his passion. Got the same type of passion I have, and nice to see him show his emotions on the field.

Mike
calhoun is acutally in high demand on the NCAA level and many feel he can succeed in the NFL.

Wasn't the same thing true about McD (NFL level opposed to NCAA)? I just really doubt that Bowlen rushes to step on his dick again.

Lancane
Just putting things into perspective. You'd think he is a terrorist or something based on the anger and vitriol geared towards him. Some people need to gain some perspective and realize this is just a game.

It's hard for me, I played the sport for over thirteen years and been around it since. I have a fiery passion about the game on many levels and at times can be over critical, and obnoxious...but that's just how it is. And it's like that with most Coloradoans, we for many years had nothing but the Broncos, then the Nuggets who were a joke. We didn't have the Rockies or Avalanche, Denver will always be a football town first and foremost.

Dzone
12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I hope Bowlen takes more time than he did last time. He fired shanahan and hired Mcd a few days later. Its hard to say if a former head coach would be good. Gruden. Cowher. Joe Gibbs coming back to washington was a failure...not sure how jimmy johnson did in Miami...Mike ditka didnt do much in NO...Dan reeves got the falcons into the super bowl...sometimes, hiring a coach is a crap shoot...if it was easy, why do so many coach hirings go to crap?

cardoso
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Wasn't the same thing true about McD (NFL level opposed to NCAA)? I just really doubt that Bowlen rushes to step on his dick again.

yea but since mcd was always hiding behind Bill no one knew how much of a duche mcdaniels was! Mcd downfall was his own ego!

Look at haley, rahim, spags

all inexperienced rookie head coaches and look where their teams are now!

Nomad
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Maybe he's being interviewed for the OC position....:whoknows: . I know probably not likely!!

dogfish
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
hoping this isn't true, because it's a move al davis would be super proud of. . . if bowlen actually does this, i'm assuming he must want to move the team to LA. . .

Dzone
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Mcdaniels should be banned from the NFL...if it comes out that hes been cheating his ass off...

Nomad
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
hoping this isn't true, because it's a move al davis would be super proud of. . . if bowlen actually does this, i'm assuming he must want to move the team to LA. . .

And the senile/Al Davis comparisons are true!!

Krugan
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I dont like the idea of calhoun as our headcoach.

Watched alot of airforce football, he has done great work there, I just dont think it will translate to the NFL.

I may be fully wrong, but I dont like this fit.

Bosco
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Not a real fan of this move.

tomjonesrocks
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
That would be disappointing.

It would, but let's face it--McDaniels has destroyed what was a good job a couple years ago. Anything more than a second-tier option now would be a shock to me. We're probably 2 coaches and many years away from serious playoff contention at this point.

With any luck I won't grow to totally despise the next coach. At this point someone that doesn't make me want to throw up at the thought of him is an upgrade.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Anybody ever heard of "Les Shapiro"? I've never heard of the guy. Supposedly, he's the clown calling into all the local radio shows and spreading this rumor around about Calhoun. I have no idea who Shapiro is or what his knowledge level on this subject might be.

Anyone else (other than cardoso) know who this guy is?

camdisco24
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
As long as he doesn't wear a hoodie, its an upgrade...

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Agreed, like Nomad said and I agreed earlier, Calhoun would be a solid choice as the offensive coordinator, but not as the head coach. He has been the offensive coordinator for some questionable collegiate programs, Wake Forest, Ohio University and of course two stints with Air Force, but he only has three years experience in the NFL, one year as a defensive assistant, then went to offensive assistant and then special teams. Calhoun has one year as an NFL offensive coordinator and that was under Kubiak in Houston.

His resume is not really respectable by any means. I really hope this turns out to be false, or hopefully it's for the offensive coordinator position.

camdisco24
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Anybody ever heard of "Les Shapiro"? I've never heard of the guy. Supposedly, he's the clown calling into all the local radio shows and spreading this rumor around about Calhoun. I have no idea who Shapiro is or what his knowledge level on this subject might be.

"Longtime Denver radio and TV broadcaster"
Per DP

Dzone
12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
The whole Calhoun story is a joke...somebodies jerkin some chains...lol...BTW 31-3 patriots over the jets tonight

Lancane
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
The whole Calhoun story is a joke...somebodies jerkin some chains...lol...BTW 31-3 patriots over the jets tonight

Damn...I was hoping the Jets whooped their asses like Ryan said, I'm here to kick ass. Too bad we can't hire him.

Bosco
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
If we go to back to the zone blocking and west coast offense, there is a high probability of me going insane.

Dzone
12-06-2010, 11:11 PM
How about his twin brother Rob Ryan, who is DC at Cleveland?

Wonder if Mcdaniels speech today about NOT playing Tebow pissed Bowlen off...he got fired a couple hours later...Maybe Bowlen was thinking of all the empty seats with Orton playing

silkamilkamonico
If we go to back to the zone blocking and west coast offense, there is a high probability of me going insane.

I could not agree more with your sentiment. The new offense was a breath of fresh air, and I became sick and tired of that ZBS West Coast BS.

On top of that, this Clahoun guy sounds like he would come in, build a decently solid foundation, and Denver would swim in mediocrity of 8-8 seasons throughout his tenure.

HORSEPOWER 56
"Longtime Denver radio and TV broadcaster"
Per DP

So about as credible as Josina? Got it... :rolleyes:

G_Money
12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
If we're going with college coaches I'd rather go Harbaugh than Calhoun.

~G

Ravage!!!
12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm thrilled to be moving to any... ANY.. . offense over this crap we've seen on the field.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
The thing is that Les Shapiro is not an inside man, not of those that are at the forefront of breaking stories have said anything yet.

I'm wondering if their negotiating with him not for the Head Coach position, but for offensive coordinator position and they already have another Head Coach candidate they're sold on and has agreed to come on board?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
The thing is that Les Shapiro is not an inside man, not of those that are at the forefront of breaking stories have said anything yet.

I'm wondering if their negotiating with him not for the Head Coach position, but for offensive coordinator position and they already have another Head Coach candidate they're sold on and has agreed to come on board?

I'm just hoping this is a nasty rumor started to drum up listeners and ratings for Shapiro's radio show. I can't believe we'd be foolish enough to jump all over anyone the same day that McDaniels is fired, especially knowing the rules (Rooney Rule).

Even if it's just for the OC spot, wouldn't it be better to let the new HC get a word in on that hire or are we just trying to do it the Jerry Jones method of hring an OC first and telling the new HC that he just has to deal with it? That would be foolish.

getlynched47
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm thrilled to be moving to any... ANY.. . offense over this crap we've seen on the field.

But bubble-screens always outsmart the other team ;)

Rick
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
I hope who ever it is does go back to ZB. It was successful for the last decade here.

Reason it's not considered great is lack of RZ TDs with it lately and that is to do with small lineman against big DL with short field.

So get bigger....Clady, Kuper and Haris can allready do it so teach it to Walton and Beadles and there we have the successful between the 20s system with bigger guys in the RZ.

As far as why fired now...I suspect as another member posted that after MCD said no change at QB Bowlen said your done. Refusing to change something that needed to be was why Shanny got fired.

I think Tebow will be a great QB with the right coach but he may not be any better than Orton was now. As the season is lost though we need to look towards the future and Bowlen might have seen a guy refusing to change and look towards improving for it.

Calhoan...don't know enough about him. Really was hoping for a guy with experiance and could work with Tebow.

pnbronco
12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
It's not just Les Shapiro. It's also Sandy from The Fan and Mike Klis from the DP. We get the running back coach for the interim, and for some reason they mentioned the Rooney Rule when they said his name. It also sounds like a very serious look at Calhoun for head coach. Oh with maybe Sundquist as GM is what I heard tonight on The Fan.

cardoso
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm just hoping this is a nasty rumor started to drum up listeners and ratings for Shapiro's radio show. I can't believe we'd be foolish enough to jump all over anyone the same day that McDaniels is fired, especially knowing the rules (Rooney Rule).

Even if it's just for the OC spot, wouldn't it be better to let the new HC get a word in on that hire or are we just trying to do it the Jerry Jones method of hring an OC first and telling the new HC that he just has to deal with it? That would be foolish.

I know we dont see much of him but Eric Studesville our intern coach is black. rooney rule [x]
New coach [x]

camdisco24
12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
According to ESPN...

"The Broncos are expected to conduct an expansive search for their next coach in the offseason."

Sorry guys, but the rumors might be a little premature...

DenBronx
12-06-2010, 11:54 PM

~G

Same here....I live close by Stanford and have seen Harbaugh do well. Word on the street is he is very competitive with his Brother. I would much rather us hire him...even Bob Stoops would be a better choice.

But...I would rather see us get someone proven.

jhildebrand
12-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Maybe they already have with Studesville.

The Glue Factory
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
According to ESPN...

"The Broncos are expected to conduct an expansive search for their next coach in the offseason."

Sorry guys, but the rumors might be a little premature...

In other news, GM is expected to design new cars for 2012. That's a no-brainer comment and ESPN's position on the situation.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
I know we dont see much of him but Eric Studesville our intern coach is black. rooney rule [x]
New coach [x]

Gary Miller discussed the Rooney Rule earlier, and they have to interview him for the head coach position. Studesville being named the interim head coach does not qualify under the Rooney Rule.

Just so people know.

And Gary Miller said that as far as he knows, they haven't even begun interviewing candidates as of yet. Maybe Shapiro got his info ass backwards and the team was interviewing him, or I hope at least.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Please god no.

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
And Gary Miller said that as far as he knows, they haven't even begun interviewing candidates as of yet. Maybe Shapiro got his info ass backwards and the team was interviewing him, or I hope at least.

I would think that Cardoso knows that Calhoun is prepping for the Independence Bowl on 12/27. :confused: Air Force accepting the bid is only 2 days old after all.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
"why would you even ponder passing?"...

Lancane
12-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I would think that Cardoso knows that Calhoun is prepping for the Independence Bowl on 12/27. :confused: Air Force accepting the bid is only 2 days old after all.

And from what I've heard, Calhoun was interested in getting an extension from the Academy.

Who really knows with all that's been going on, but I just can't see Bowlen rushing out to get a very unexperienced head coach after all this.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:10 AM

Les Shapiro has covered Denver Sports and the Broncos specifically for over 30 years most of which was at channel 4 here in Denver. During most of his time the Broncos play on channel four and most of the coaches shows were done there as well. Shapiro is still well connected.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:13 AM
How about his twin brother Rob Ryan, who is DC at Cleveland?

Wonder if Mcdaniels speech today about NOT playing Tebow pissed Bowlen off...he got fired a couple hours later...Maybe Bowlen was thinking of all the empty seats with Orton playing

I said earlier that Bowlen wanted Tebow to see significant playing time against KC and start against AZ after the loss. McDaniels was combative at times taking questions re Tebow today.

I wont disclose sources but can say I have no reason not to believe them.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:16 AM
The Calhoun rumor has more legs than people want to care for or admit.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Les Shapiro has covered Denver Sports and the Broncos specifically for over 30 years most of which was at channel 4 here in Denver. During most of his time the Broncos play on channel four and most of the coaches shows were done there as well. Shapiro is still well connected.

When was the last time Shapiro broke a story on the Broncos over let's say Schefter or even Anderson for that matter? I'm not saying that it's not possible, but he isn't the most credible person when it comes to breaking stories involving the Broncos.

And I just have a hard time believing that Bowlen would rush this quickly and not take a little more time, after all...the last guy we hired that was inexperienced did a lot of freaking damage.

pnbronco
12-07-2010, 12:19 AM

Plus Mike Klis who is the reporter for the Denver Post and is the inside guy down at Dove was the first person I heard saying Calhoun. When they asked him about all the names put on here his answer was NO, none of those guys will be in the running. Shapiro has been involved in Denver sports for over 30 years like Jhilde has posted.

Oh and Sandy thought it was really interesting that Calhoun showed no interest in the CU job. Plus they thought Calhoun could be hired for about $ 2 1/2 million.

camdisco24
12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
In other news, GM is expected to design new cars for 2012. That's a no-brainer comment and ESPN's position on the situation.

Just adding to the convo... thats all.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:26 AM
When was the last time Shapiro broke a story on the Broncos over let's say Schefter or even Anderson for that matter? I'm not saying that it's not possible, but he isn't the most credible person when it comes to breaking stories involving the Broncos.

And I just have a hard time believing that Bowlen would rush this quickly and not take a little more time, after all...the last guy we hired that was inexperienced did a lot of freaking damage.

Look, Schefter is overrated when it comes to the Broncos and has been for some time. His greatest connections here came with Shanahan at the helm. Just two weeks ago Schefter boldly proclaimed that McD wasn't going anywhere.

Shapiro has no issues with credibility. Name me one time he has been sensational on any level let alone on the Mortensen "Shanny to the Chiefs" level? You can't.

Shapiro has been in the Denver sports scene and has been connected for a very long time. He also has Elway on the radio weekly on Friday's. You think Elway takes it lightly with those he associates his name with?

The fact is Shapiro was getting older, NBC was forced in the affiliate switch to 9 news and channel 4 went to a much younger lineup across the board. Vic Lombardi replaced Shapiro.

Furthermore, this story broke on 104.3 THE FAN before anywhere else. The very first thing that was said after Alfred Williams announced the firing of McD-D Mac wanted to go to break before announcing it-was the rumor is Calhoun is already in negotiations.

Calhoun has been referenced now by several different people some media some former players. Trust me when I say it has legs.

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 12:27 AM
And from what I've heard, Calhoun was interested in getting an extension from the Academy.

Who really knows with all that's been going on, but I just can't see Bowlen rushing out to get a very unexperienced head coach after all this.

Even though I live in the Springs, I don't follow the Falcons; but my perception was that he was going for a contract extension. Only thing showing up in the media is his disinterest in the CU position. Then again the Broncos situation didn't even hint at going the way it has until last week.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 12:28 AM
So... for all of you folks that follow Air Force football, is this a supposed good thing or bad thing?

My immediate feeling on Calhoun being the HC, without a real GM to boot, makes my stomach churn and makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little... :tsk:

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I will add this

For those that like Dungy for his convictions, beliefs, discipline and overall demeanor, you get very much the same from Calhoun.

TO knock the guy because he doesn't have OC experience at the pro level is a bit silly. McD had it with the best team of the decade. Look at the mess we're in now.

Who was Gruden when Al hired him? He was just the next guy to laugh at for being crazy enough to take the job.

Finally, it should be known that 03, 04, and 05 were the last best 3 years we had under Shanahan. The three years Calhoun was here.

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Just adding to the convo... thats all.

I figured. It's just ESPN lamely trying to show they're hunting down rumors and what not. If anything I'd say Shapiro's got the scoop on this one, but it's awful early to say anything is definite beyond McD is done in Denver (which is not even news anymore and just plain history.)

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:31 AM
So... for all of you folks that follow Air Force football, is this a supposed good thing or bad thing?

My immediate feeling on Calhoun being the HC, without a real GM to boot, makes my stomach churn and makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little... :tsk:

I like Calhoun the guy. See my Dungy reference above. Can he do it at the NFL level? I dont know. I think he has seen enough to have a good shot.

He will have a real GM. It may be Sundquist or Goodman but he will have someone who is more than what Xanders has been.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Oh yes, Calhoun is now a household word in Denver. He may or may not be the guy for the job. It may not be the PC thing to do anyway and we might be better off going the way CU did and get a minority coach with no experience at all.

cardoso
12-07-2010, 12:33 AM
I will add this

For those that like Dungy for his convictions, beliefs, discipline and overall demeanor, you get very much the same from Calhoun.

TO knock the guy because he doesn't have OC experience at the pro level is a bit silly. McD had it with the best team of the decade. Look at the mess we're in now.

Who was Gruden when Al hired him? He was just the next guy to laugh at for being crazy enough to take the job.

Finally, it should be known that 03, 04, and 05 were the last best 3 years we had under Shanahan. The three years Calhoun was here.

to add to all this can you guess who else made it to the nfl straight out of Airforce???

BILL PARCELS!

was hired by the giants in 79 after being head coach of airfoce. The gaints were 20th ranked on defense before he got there in 1978. Two years later bill had teh giants at top 5 defense. Very next year he's hired to coach the patriots and the rest is history!

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I like Calhoun the guy. See my Dungy reference above. Can he do it at the NFL level? I dont know. I think he has seen enough to have a good shot.

He will have a real GM. It may be Sundquist or Goodman but he will have someone who is more than what Xanders has been.

Please try to keep the profanity, meaning the "S" word to a minimum. That "S"undquist guy wasn't any good the first time as evidenced by the fact he's still unemployed (in the NFL), I don't think I'd want him back. It's like saying we need to fix the defense so lets bring back Nate Webster, Marlon McRee, and Bob Slowik... :mad:

Lancane
12-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Look, Schefter is overrated when it comes to the Broncos and has been for some time. His greatest connections here came with Shanahan at the helm. Just two weeks ago Schefter boldly proclaimed that McD wasn't going anywhere.

Shapiro has no issues with credibility. Name me one time he has been sensational on any level let alone on the Mortensen "Shanny to the Chiefs" level? You can't.

Shapiro has been in the Denver sports scene and has been connected for a very long time. He also has Elway on the radio weekly on Friday's. You think Elway takes it lightly with those he associates his name with?

The fact is Shapiro was getting older, NBC was forced in the affiliate switch to 9 news and channel 4 went to a much younger lineup across the board. Vic Lombardi replaced Shapiro.

Furthermore, this story broke on 104.3 THE FAN before anywhere else. The very first thing that was said after Alfred Williams announced the firing of McD-D Mac wanted to go to break before announcing it-was the rumor is Calhoun is already in negotiations.

Calhoun has been referenced now by several different people some media some former players. Trust me when I say it has legs.

Don't get huffy with me Jhil...I'm not saying that it has no legs, trust me...I know it has legs, doesn't mean I have to freaking like it. And I am sure that it will come up, but I also think Ted Sundquist will be named General Manager as well. After all, Troy Calhoun and Ted Sundquist were assistant coaches together at the Academy in 1989 and were both part of the Broncos staff between 03' and 05'. I still don't like it, he's too inexperienced IMHO. I'll support him as the head coach, unless he looks to be another flake like McDaniels.

;)

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Please try to keep the profanity, meaning the "S" word to a minimum. That "S"undquist guy wasn't any good the first time as evidenced by the fact he's still unemployed (in the NFL), I don't think I'd want him back. It's like saying we need to fix the defense so lets bring back Nate Webster, Marlon McRee, and Bob Slowik... :mad:

I know. I dislike S with a passion as do you. I am just saying that when THE FAN mentioned the Calhoun rumor Sundquist was mentioned in the same breath :sick:

Northman
12-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I will add this

I still dont want him.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Don't get huffy with me Jhil...
:lol: Nobody is getting huffy with you Lancane, at least not me. I got a lot of respect for you. I just had to speak my mind on the Schefter part because far too many people throw him around as if he is the gospel.

I'm not saying that it has no legs, trust me...I know it has legs, doesn't mean I have to freaking like it.

I just mentioned the story legs in general and in part because Cardoso is taking a beating for something that very well could turn out to be true.

And I am sure that it will come up, but I also think Ted Sundquist will be named General Manager as well. After all, Troy Calhoun and Ted Sundquist were assistant coaches together at the Academy in 1989 and were both part of the Broncos staff between 03' and 05'. I still don't like it, he's too inexperienced IMHO. I'll support him as the head coach, unless he looks to be another flake like McDaniels.

;)

I don't want any part of Sundquist. I don't see the need for me personally to give the guy another shot. He simply didn't work out here and for obvious reasons.

As for Calhoun, will I be upset if they hire him. Probably a little bit. But I will be open about him and his tenure here until he gives me reason not to just like I was with McDaniels. I quit on McD very quickly but I did give him a fair shot first.

Calhoun and a Marty/Ted Thomspson/Ron Wolfe typecccc as GM-great
Calhoun and Sundquist-I wont hold my breath.

horsepig
12-07-2010, 12:43 AM
yea but since mcd was always hiding behind Bill no one knew how much of a duche mcdaniels was! Mcd downfall was his own ego!

Look at haley, rahim, spags

all inexperienced rookie head coaches and look where their teams are now!

All those teams have had bad years to stock up on high picks. Then they finished it off with some great drafts this year. Just saying.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 12:44 AM
I know. I dislike S with a passion as do you. I am just saying that when THE FAN mentioned the Calhoun rumor Sundquist was mentioned in the same breath :sick:

Fudge. I was really hoping we'd learned our lesson and would go after someone proven not someone who will turn this organization into an OJT learning experience while he chases shiny objects and then leaves town in his Land Rover with a dumb-assed smile on his face talking on the phone and honking his horn...

I don't know shit about Calhoun, but I doubt he's a guy you bring into an organization this bad and expect him to turn it around. Air Force is far from what I'd consider a top program and they aren't exactly a model to build an NFL franchise around, either. We might as well bring in Urban Meyer. At least he's won something with our current QB and scheme... <- This last statement is SARCASM...

cardoso
12-07-2010, 12:45 AM
All those teams have had bad years to stock up on high picks. Then they finished it off with some great drafts this year. Just saying.

having high picks doesnt mean you are guaranteed to get better. Look at the raiders? Shoot look at what we did with all our pics! NOTHING... The fact that those ROOKIE/INEXPERIENCE coaches did so well with those picks shows how much of an idiot mcdaniels is. Look at all the young studs KC has. And we have a top5 pick coming up so hopefully the new coach makes the best out of it!

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:46 AM
I still dont want him.

I am not saying I do. I am simply saying I would give him a shot no different than McDaniels.

Personally, I want to see that Bowlen has changed. Hire a GM and let the GM make the coaching hire. If it is Calhoun, great. If not, great. But I would live with that a lot better than calhoun being named HC 24-48 hours after McD getting canned.

cardoso
12-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Fudge. I was really hoping we'd learned our lesson and would go after someone proven not someone who will turn this organization into an OJT learning experience while he chases shiny objects and then leaves town in his Land Rover with a dumb-assed smile on his face talking on the phone and honking his horn...

I don't know shit about Calhoun, but I doubt he's a guy you bring into an organization this bad and expect him to turn it around. Air Force is far from what I'd consider a top program and they aren't exactly a model to build an NFL franchise around, either. We might as well bring in Urban Meyer. At least he's won something with our current QB and scheme... <- This last statement is SARCASM...

you do know Bill Parcels was the head coach of Airfoce before he got hired by the NY Giants?

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 12:47 AM
And there's this from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/tag/_/name/troy-calhoun)

Who’s the sleeper choice? This process will be long and I expect Denver to look at several candidates. But keep a close eye on Air Force coach Troy Calhoun. He is a former Denver assistant and was an NFL offensive coordinator in Houston. He is highly regarded in both the NFL and the college coaching ranks. He is a leader who is known for his offensive knowledge, people skills and integrity. McDaniels had a habit of ruffling feathers. The quiet and polite Calhoun wouldn’t recognize a ruffled feather.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:52 AM

I will say this about Air Force. It is a hard program to win in. Any academy/military school is. It isn't like they get to recruit top athletes. They take the soldiers/cadets that want to be there and field a team.

Calhoun almost beat Fulmer and tennessee in tennessee. Air Force almost beat Oklahoma in Oklahoma this year. To be winning and going to bowl games at that program is a testament to a good coach because of the natural limitations that the roster presents.

In short, it says he can get the most out of some guys.

EDIT: I am not stumping for the guy as much as I am simply playing devil's advocate and or arguing the opposite.

horsepig
12-07-2010, 12:52 AM
BTW, I don't know Calhoun. What did he do for the team earlier? Was he a position coach?

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 12:55 AM
you do know Bill Parcels was the head coach of Airfoce before he got hired by the NY Giants?

And you do realize people get struck by lightning? But only rarely. Do you also realize Parcells was coaching collegiate football for 14 years before going to Air Force and then in the NFL 4 years before going on to the Giants HC gig?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 12:55 AM

And McDaniels was ripped directly from the fabled King of all coaches Bill Bellichick's womb only once removed from the fabled God of all Gods Bill Parcells himself.

Troy Calhoun is NOT BILL PARCELLS. Just as Josh McDumbass is NOT BILL BELLICHICK!

I don't want an imposter, a project, or a wing and a prayer. I want a proven coach who has NFL HC EXPERIENCE to FIX the Denver Broncos.

There. I think I made my point. If Calhoun is hired I won't be happy, but I will give him a chance to succeed or fail just like I did McDipshit. I just don't think this is what the Broncos really need. It reeks of Bowlen cronyism and running back to what he knows vice what is best for him and his team, IMO.

horsepig
12-07-2010, 12:58 AM
having high picks doesnt mean you are guaranteed to get better. Look at the raiders? Shoot look at what we did with all our pics! NOTHING... The fact that those ROOKIE/INEXPERIENCE coaches did so well with those picks shows how much of an idiot mcdaniels is. Look at all the young studs KC has. And we have a top5 pick coming up so hopefully the new coach makes the best out of it!

The Raiders have a very talented squad, IMO. I have to agree about the Chefs, some real talent there and then Haley's staff had a very good draft.

I don't know just what the Hell McD was trying to do with his drafts' however, I still like the Tebow pick. It remains to be seen , but I'll go all-in with a full house and I think Tebow was at least that and worth the gamble.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 12:59 AM
I will say this about Air Force. It is a hard program to win in. Any academy/military school is. It isn't like they get to recruit top athletes. They take the soldiers/cadets that want to be there and field a team.

Calhoun almost beat Fulmer and tennessee in tennessee. Air Force almost beat Oklahoma in Oklahoma this year. To be winning and going to bowl games at that program is a testament to a good coach because of the natural limitations that the roster presents.

EDIT: I am not stumping for the guy as much as I am simply playing devil's advocate and or arguing the opposite.

I know what you're saying, but you just can't lump Air Force in with the other service Academies. They are in a major athletic conference, not an independent, therefore they get buku TV contracts and heavily recruit athletes. There's a reason they ALWAYS beat the other service academies on the rare occasion they play them. Air Force is closer to BYU in terms of talent, recruiting and money than they are to Army or Navy.

G_Money
12-07-2010, 01:00 AM
No Sundquist. GAH. No freakin' way.

Calhoun...my doubts for him aren't about his ability to coach or lead or be a good man. It's about whether he can put together a good staff or survive the pitfalls of being the head coach of an NFL team that McDaniels could not.

Theoretically you'd want a guy who had either been through it or was being assisted by a guy who had.

Which is why I would never hire Calhoun without getting an experienced GM who can help him, and I would want the GM first.

Or he'd better get a guy, like say NOLAN, who had been a head coach and was willing to provide aid and assistance while running the defense (or the offense I guess).

Still can't believe that when we got McDaniels I was impressed that we had a good personnel team in place, that his staff included a former head coach and good defensive mind, and he was keeping the top-flight OL and RB coaching tandem in place.

12 months later it was all gone. Except Josh.

Now that he's gone too, I'd hope to not go about this in a similar fashion. We have plenty of time left to fix this - no need to rush into Calhoun at the moment.

~G

dogfish
calhoun AND sundquist?

with qualifications like that, i can only assume we must be intending to get bob slowick as the DC. . . .

The Glue Factory

In 4 years he's 33-18 for the Falcons finishing no worse than 4th in the 9 team conference. Also finalist for the Paterno award this year. He might not be a bad coach if he has a good GM & scouting dept feeding him the players he wants.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Maybe Calhoun is getting play because his moral compass is the direct opposite of McDaniels. He is a guy who wont lie nor allow cheating. Maybe this is just a drastic knee jerk reaction of equal proportions as it was when Shanahan was released.

G_Money
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM
In 4 years he's 33-18 for the Falcons finishing no worse than 4th in the 9 team conference. Also finalist for the Paterno award this year. He might not be a bad coach if he has a good GM & scouting dept feeding him the players he wants.

If Bill Parcells was our GM and decided to pick Troy Calhoun, I would buy in.

But in NO way do I want to hire a coach before adding a high-quality GM. The GM should pick a head coach he can work with. Having Goodman not be a "Real GM" and allowing McDaniels to undercut him and get him fired was the opening salvo in our 2-year disaster.

Do not saddle a GM with a head coach he did not have a hand in picking. Do not allow the head coach to be the GM.

Which means do not hire the head coach first.

~G

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Agreed.

Personally, I would rather see true change from ownership. I would rather Bowlen hire a true GM and let things work themselves out from there.

On Calhoun, I am not as quick to dismiss the guy. I like his credentials but again that is with some serious front office and coordinator help. Without it, this team and ownership becomes one that is mentioned in the same breath as Al Davis and Jerry Jones. It will be fatally flawed if you will.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:05 AM
:lol: Nobody is getting huffy with you Lancane, at least not me. I got a lot of respect for you. I just had to speak my mind on the Schefter part because far too many people throw him around as if he is the gospel.

I just mentioned the story legs in general and in part because Cardoso is taking a beating for something that very well could turn out to be true.

I don't want any part of Sundquist. I don't see the need for me personally to give the guy another shot. He simply didn't work out here and for obvious reasons.

As for Calhoun, will I be upset if they hire him. Probably a little bit. But I will be open about him and his tenure here until he gives me reason not to just like I was with McDaniels. I quit on McD very quickly but I did give him a fair shot first.

Calhoun and a Marty/Ted Thomspson/Ron Wolfe typecccc as GM-great
Calhoun and Sundquist-I wont hold my breath.

All I was pointing out was that Shapiro hasn't truly broken a story in regards to the Broncos for years. And I sure in the hell one of those guys that believe everything Schefter says, after all...he said we'd likely take Sanchez with our first pick in 2009 at one point, yeah thanks a lot...I wanted to draft him. And let's face it, Josina Anderson is not much better either.

This really disturbs the hell out of me, I don't mind Troy Calhoun if he was being hired for the OC position, but giving him the HC job...it's just to iffy with all we've been through as a fan-base.

And for those who say 'Parcells came from the Air Force'...F' Parcells, I don't care about his ass either or what turnip truck he fell off of, his greatest success was Belichick and that got us what? I dare someone to say his name...

I did say Bowlen would be fairly quick in hiring someone because of a rough time frame, but this may be a little too quick, especially when you look at his qualifications. I guess we'll just have to wait and see at this point.

;)

G_Money
12-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh yeah, and do NOT allow Sundquist back as GM, nor allow Xanders to assume that role.

I'm beggin' ya.

~G

Northman
12-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah, and do NOT allow Sundquist back as GM,

Absolutely not.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:07 AM
I know what you're saying, but you just can't lump Air Force in with the other service Academies. They are in a major athletic conference, not an independent, therefore they get buku TV contracts and heavily recruit athletes. There's a reason they ALWAYS beat the other service academies on the rare occasion they play them. Air Force is closer to BYU in terms of talent, recruiting and money than they are to Army or Navy.

USAFA entry requirements are far more demanding than most DI schools and probably the most difficult in their conference. They may recruit but it isn't like blue chip kids want anything to do with them. Most kids that think they have any shot at the NFL stay away from the service schools because there is a chance they will have to serve immediately following their collegiate career. The kids that go there go there because they would anyway and being able to continue their athletics is simply a bonus.

G_Money
12-07-2010, 01:12 AM
This really disturbs the hell out of me, I don't mind Troy Calhoun if he was being hired for the OC position, but giving him the HC job...it's just to iffy with all we've been through as a fan-base.

And for those who say 'Parcells came from the Air Force'...F' Parcells, I don't care about his ass either or what turnip truck he fell off of, his greatest success was Belichick and that got us what? I dare someone to say his name...

As of 2009, former Parcells assistants who are currently head coaches in either the NFL or the college ranks include:

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots - multiple World Champion
Tom Coughlin, New York Giants - World Champion
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints - World Champion
Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins
Eric Mangini, Cleveland Browns
Todd Haley, Kansas City Chiefs
Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State

Are you kidding me? No, not all of his guys are successful, but Haley is getting much better and Sparano is good too - and he's got a great eye for coaches. BTW, the guys that he's personally picked or highlighted as being head coach candidates are Belichick, Payton, Coughlin and Sparano. Makes me think Sparano will be holding a trophy sooner or later.

And the man knows how to build teams. Parcells can pick my next head coach and the roster to back him any day. And if that guy happened to be Calhoun, that'd be fine with me.

I just doubt that'd be the case.

~G

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:12 AM
USAFA entry requirements are far more demanding than most DI schools and probably the most difficult in their conference. They may recruit but it isn't like blue chip kids want anything to do with them. Most kids that think they have any shot at the NFL stay away from the service schools because there is a chance they will have to serve immediately following their collegiate career. The kids that go there go there because they would anyway and being able to continue their athletics is simply a bonus.

That is very true, to actually enter the Academy even on a sports scholarship the student must have a GPA of 4.0 and at least one recommendation from a teacher. One of my old teammates in High School got a scholarship to go there and that is the only reason I know.

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Ummm no. Not by a long shot. To go to Air Force you have to be sponsored by a freaking senator. If you want to play football Air Force is NOT on the list. Not even as your last choice! And Air Force is not a perennial winner against Army or Navy, believe it or not.

Granted they are in a major athletic conference but that's not helping them any either (making Calhoun a stronger candidate for finishing in the top 4 of a 9 team conference.) BYU has been the 800 pound gorilla of the WAC and then MWC conference and I would by no means say that Air Force has the talent of BYU. How many players in the NFL went to Air Force? 1? I bet you'll find over double that number from BYU.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:18 AM
That is very true, to actually enter the Academy even on a sports scholarship the student must have a GPA of 4.0 and at least one recommendation from a teacher. One of my old teammates in High School got a scholarship to go there and that is the only reason I know.

I think they still require a congressional recommendation as well. I think for athletes they bring it down from 2 to 1.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:19 AM
I think they still require a congressional recommendation as well. I think for athletes they bring it down from 2 to 1.

So it's still easier to get into the Colorado School of Mines rather then the Air Force Academy, that should tell us something!

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Bowlen did have dinner with Elway at Elway's restaurant tonight. Maybe Elway gets an administrative role?

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:22 AM
As of 2009, former Parcells assistants who are currently head coaches in either the NFL or the college ranks include:

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots - multiple World Champion
Tom Coughlin, New York Giants - World Champion
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints - World Champion
Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins
Eric Mangini, Cleveland Browns
Todd Haley, Kansas City Chiefs
Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State

Are you kidding me? No, not all of his guys are successful, but Haley is getting much better and Sparano is good too - and he's got a great eye for coaches. BTW, the guys that he's personally picked or highlighted as being head coach candidates are Belichick, Payton, Coughlin and Sparano. Makes me think Sparano will be holding a trophy sooner or later.

And the man knows how to build teams. Parcells can pick my next head coach and the roster to back him any day. And if that guy happened to be Calhoun, that'd be fine with me.

I just doubt that'd be the case.

~G

Don't care...McDaniels ruined that tree for me! They can all go to hell...:lol:

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Among other things (like being unmarried and no kids) and in additional to normal college-entrance requirements, applicants need to pass a physical fitness test, a medical examination and secure a Congressional nomination.

Source (http://www.ehow.com/how_2040260_apply-air-force-academy.html)

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Bowlen did have dinner with Elway at Elway's restaurant tonight. Maybe Elway gets an administrative role?

Maybe we'll get lucky and Elway will slap some sense into him! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Elway ended up with a title akin to Vice Executive Officer/Advisor of Football Operations and Personnel. I don't think he wants a role that could damn his reputation with the fans like the G.M. spot or anything.

G_Money
12-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Calhoun apparently has media buddies apparently trying to put pressure on the Air Force Academy to pony up a nice fat raise for Calhoun, IMO.

They're doing a good job.

And so he'll stay the head man at the AFA after his raise, and we'll get a different head coach, since he was never actually in the running for this job.

~G

Lancane
12-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Calhoun apparently has media buddies apparently trying to put pressure on the Air Force Academy to pony up a nice fat raise for Calhoun, IMO.

And so he'll stay the head man at the AFA after his raise, and we'll get a different head coach, since he was never actually in the running for this job.

~G

I hope you're right G, I really do...:lol:

The Glue Factory
12-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Love to stay and chat but I've gotta be up in 6 hours to go to 529 training. Night all. :ciao:

dogfish
12-07-2010, 02:23 AM

~G

:hail: :hail:

broncosinindy
12-07-2010, 08:41 AM
But bubble-screens always outsmart the other team ;)

Did you watch the game tonight... :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Oh I understand the requirements, bro. I'm a military man myself, but lumping Air Force in with Army and Navy just doesn't do them justice, IMO. Just because the kids that go there are smart and patriotic and looking to serve their country doesn't mean that Air Force isn't the best athletic talent recruiter and biggest spender of recruiting dollars of the service academies.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but just the fact that we have a guy from air force on our practice squad says a lot to me about the level of talent they possess there. I'd be willing to bet a lot more Air Force grads find their way onto pro rosters than Army or Navy. Whether they play professionally or not based on their obligation to serve is a different story. I know where you're coming from, though.

BroncoStud
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
This had better be nothing more than a bad rumor. If Calhoun is the next coach i am giving up on Bowlen.

slim
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM

~G

Me too. What Harbaugh has done at Stanford is incrediable. Truly amazing, IMO.

I love Calhoun as a coach, but I can't imagine he is ready to run a NFL team.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Me too. What Harbaugh has done at Stanford is incrediable. Truly amazing, IMO.

I love Calhoun as a coach, but I can't imagine he is ready to run a NFL team.

I'd really like a NFL HC with experience, but if we're going to dig into the college ranks, Harbaugh would be my choice.

BeefStew25
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Calhoun has some intangibles that I like. Mainly, he doesn't seem like a douche lick. Who knows on the football end though.

Lancane
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I posted this in my thread, but here you go...

The Broncos are already denying a local radio report that they are negotiating with Air Force coach Troy Calhoun. He may be a candidate down the road, but the Broncos haven’t started the process yet. Like they did during the search two years ago, the Broncos have promised to be up front with the media during their search and won’t hide interviews. Kudos for that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/josh-mcdaniels-fired

;)

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM

~G

IIRC, Air force has been working on extending Calhoun for some time.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
IIRC, Air force has been working on extending Calhoun for some time.

Just curious, being a military academy HC, do the taxpayers pay his salary or do the military academies separate their sports from the actual schooling?

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Just curious, being a military academy HC, do the taxpayers pay his salary or do the military academies separate their sports from the actual schooling?

I couldn't tell you. I could find out though. I know CU being a state school we pay a big part in everything they do.

GEM
12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Calhoun takes his name out of Broncos running.

http://gazetteafasports.freedomblogging.com/2010/12/07/calhoun-re-commits-to-air-force/8402/

Without ever mentioning the Denver Broncos, Air Force coach Troy Calhoun seemed to turn down the NFL’s teams advances with a statement this morning and, in effect, took his name out of the running for their head-coaching job.

He said he is committed to the Air Force in “2011 and beyond.” The Broncos have a job opening, but Calhoun doesn’t appear interested in taking it, the strongest statement possible about his long-term future with the academy.

Click on the link for the full article.

slim
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Calhoun takes his name out of Broncos running.

http://gazetteafasports.freedomblogging.com/2010/12/07/calhoun-re-commits-to-air-force/8402/

Click on the link for the full article.

You mean this was just a rumor?

Shocking.

jhildebrand
12-07-2010, 12:38 PM
And it ends with a wimper.

It also highlights just how low the job of Broncos HC has fallen. Once a prized position in any league, people are turning it down without blinking an eye.

I certainly hope Bowlen has somebody in his corner protecting his interests that isn't named Ellis.

Hire the GM first and go from there. I would start with a guy named Marty.

vandammage13
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Not sure if someone posted it already, but Air Force coach Troy Calhoun says he's not interested in the Broncos job.

Can't say I'm dissapointed. I'm hoping that we are able to get Gruden.

MileHighCrew
12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
He wasn't offered the job to be not interested. It is easy to say no to something you don't have.

GEM
12-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm merging this into the Calhoun thread where the article reporting it was already posted.

silkamilkamonico
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh Cardoso. I should give you a +1 on your counter for this. This is just epic failure.

Buff
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm merging this into the Calhoun thread where the article reporting it was already posted.

You should have merged this thread into the one that says he's not interested. Or change the title to indicate he's not interested.

vandammage13
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
He wasn't offered the job to be not interested. It is easy to say no to something you don't have.

Yeah, I know he hasn't formally been offered anything, but he's essentially taken his name out of the running from the get-go.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/calhoun-109148-denver-down.html#ixzz17SXnb3Nc
Without ever mentioning the Denver Broncos, Air Force coach Troy Calhoun seemed to turn down any potential advances from the NFL team with a statement this morning and, in effect, took his name out of the running for their head-coaching job.
He said he is committed to the Air Force in “2011 and beyond.” The Broncos have a job opening, but Calhoun doesn’t appear interested in taking it, the strongest statement possible about his long-term future with the academy.

Of course, anything can change, especially when money is involved, but he seems to be committed to Air Force.

shank
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM

i'd have nuked it.

:powerhungry:

GEM
12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
You should have merged this thread into the one that says he's not interested. Or change the title to indicate he's not interested.

Ask and ye shall receive, curly. :D

GEM
12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
i'd have nuked it.

:powerhungry:

If I were power hungry, I would have nuked you a couple weeks ago when you were going all emo. You're lucky, I like ya, Shank.

tomjonesrocks
12-07-2010, 04:16 PM
If true, good.

dogfish
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
thank you, jeebus!

dogfish
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM

especially when there is no source, huh? nice try. . . .

slim
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I doubt the Broncos were all that interested in him, either.

BigDaddyBronco
12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
No kidding. Hey Bowlen, you'll need to pay and get an experienced coach. What better way of accepting blame for your terrible decisions than to lose several million dollars. That's the way the business world works.

Dreadnought
12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
If I were power hungry, I would have nuked you a couple weeks ago when you were going all emo. You're lucky, I like ya, Shank.

She wanted to, too. I talked her off the ledge, because I like you. GEM isn't your real friend, but I am. never forget you owe me now.

shank
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM

hey there, i hit a rough patch. during that time, i was drinking a whole lot of whiskey and posting a lot of stupid shit...

then one day, i woke up, took a look in the mirror, and realized that... well, that i had some more whiskey left. :drinking:

Bosco
12-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Good. That idea didn't give me the warm fuzzies at all. Now a DeCosta/Harbaugh tandem? That is something I could get behind.

Northman
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Yep, Calhoun signed the extension.

Troy Calhoun called Air Force A.D. last night and agreed to extention with 100,000 raise. He has 5 year deal now and isn't going anywhere.

Dzone
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
after today, you gotta say Studesviille is a top candidate...he is much better at public speaking than Mcd...He has a strong image...if he kicks ass as coach, he may have himself a job

BORDERLINE
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
after today, you gotta say Studesviille is a top candidate...he is much better at public speaking than Mcd...He has a strong image...if he kicks ass as coach, he may have himself a job

:shocked:hold your horses there buddy

Dzone
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
:shocked:hold your horses there buddy

hahaha, get ready for Studeville to get a 4 year contract..plus it satisfies the PC trend that CU started:lol:

dogfish
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM

that's crazy talk, man!