PDA

View Full Version : Adam Shefter names...

PAINTERDAVE
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
... two major front runner candidates

Leslie Frazier... Vikings coach

Troy Calhoun.. Air force coach

On ESPN via KOA radio at 600 PM denver time

dogfish
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
troy calhoun is being mentioned on the mane as well. . . i'm just going to go ahead and hope schefter is wrong on that, because it's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. . . has to be a joke, right?

muse
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I liked Frazier last time round, although I don't know how well we'd transition back to the 4-3. Especially since Doom will become the world's most expensive nickel rusher. I still think we're closer to a viable 3-4 than a 4-3 at this point.

G_Money
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
SOMEbody should give Frazier a job. He's deserved it for a good long time.

I just don't think the Vikings are letting him get out of the building now.

And as I said in another thread about Calhoun:

I like Calhoun, I really do...but I don't think I want him to run the Broncos.

Though bringing the option to the NFL would make a badass out of Tebow.

...Part of being a pro coach is having great pro contacts to get quality assistants. Coming from a service academy will not afford him that.

Without a great defensive coordinator we're lost. I don't necessarily want a defensive head coach - I happen to think most head coaches who were DCs have trouble getting a better DC than themselves to take over, so we'd be better served having a head coach who can GET a great defensive coordinator to work for him.

I just don't think Calhoun has those contacts. I could be wrong.

I don't know that Kubiak can bring a great DC with him either, though. I like Gary, but I have no interest in going back to the end of the Shanny era. He'd have to improve on the job that he did in Houston, and one of those things is coaching.

~G

Dirk
12-06-2010, 08:05 PM
OMG

I am going to be sick.

jhildebrand
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
troy calhoun is being mentioned on the mane as well. . . i'm just going to go ahead and hope schefter is wrong on that, because it's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. . . has to be a joke, right?

Alfred Williams reported it as well on 104.3 the fan.

jhildebrand
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I wanted Frazier then Spags when McD was hired. Frazier wont be allowed out of MN.

Give me Marty as a GM and Brian Schott or Gruden as coach.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I wanted Frazier then Spags when McD was hired. Frazier wont be allowed out of MN.

Give me Marty as a GM and Brian Schott or Gruden as coach.

Frazier's not leaving Minny, unless he forces Farve to sit the bench for the rest of the season!!

silkamilkamonico
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Frazier is most likely staying in Minnesota. He is loved there, he wants to be there, and after watching Mike Tomlin leave, they most likely will not be letting Frazier go.

Outstanding! Troy Calhoun come on down!! Will he run an option attack in Denver by chance?

dogfish
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
SOMEbody should give Frazier a job. He's deserved it for a good long time.

I just don't think the Vikings are letting him get out of the building now.

yea, frazier's not a real possibility. . . and i can't understand why we'd even look at a guy like calhoun-- has it really come to that point in terms of saving money? i mean, no offense to troy-- i'm sure he's a fine coach at his level-- but bringing in another first time head coach with no NFL connections isn't close to what we need. . .

silkamilkamonico
12-06-2010, 08:18 PM
This is how bad it is in Denver..

..apparently, Bowlen is now more concerned about the organization offsetting its debt, than getting a bonafied legitimate coach to come in and turn this organization around.

Unbelievable.

Dirk
12-06-2010, 08:19 PM
yea, frazier's not a real possibility. . . and i can't understand why we'd even look at a guy like calhoun-- has it really come to that point in terms of saving money? i mean, no offense to troy-- i'm sure he's a fine coach at his level-- but bringing in another first time head coach with no NFL connections isn't close to what we need. . .

I totally agree.

No reason to fire someone like McD and turn around and hire someone with no NFL HC experience at all. Doesn't make sense.

I hope I wake up tomorrow and there are better options being talked about.

jhildebrand
12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I am not so against Troy Calhoun as most. I think the guy has what it takes to succeed. It just happens that there are a lot of good coaches out there right now which eliminates the need to take a chance on a guy like Calhoun right now.

I also think this signals that the CBA will get done. I don't think Bowlen would have made this move if he felt certain there would be a long term lockout.

JDL
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Calhoun began his NFL career with the Denver Broncos as a defensive assistant in 2003, and later moved to offense and special teams. When Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak was hired as the Texans' head coach, Kubiak brought Calhoun along and made Calhoun his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Calhoun finished out the 2006 season with the Texans before taking over at Air Force --- wikipedia

tomjonesrocks
12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I also think this signals that the CBA will get done. I don't think Bowlen would have made this move if he felt certain there would be a long term lockout.

Why is the CBA relevant to this?

I hope the timing is because Bowlen has a handshake agreement with Gruden or equivalent and doesn't want to lose them.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Calhoun is doing a fine job at Air Force and they love him there, he needs to keep it that way!!

I believe Gruden's price tag will be too high for Bowlen's taste!

Lancane
12-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Calhoun began his NFL career with the Denver Broncos as a defensive assistant in 2003, and later moved to offense and special teams. When Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak was hired as the Texans' head coach, Kubiak brought Calhoun along and made Calhoun his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Calhoun finished out the 2006 season with the Texans before taking over at Air Force --- wikipedia

That's not enough experience in my honest opinion, one season as a pro-football coordinator? McDaniels' had a better resume...look what that jackass did to this team and organization. Fans need to write to Pat Bowlen and tell him to pull his head out of his ass, that goes for you too Silk.

BroncoTech
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
If we look to the college ranks I'd look at Ericson, at least he has NFL experience.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
If we look to the college ranks I'd look at Ericson, at least he has NFL experience.

I mentioned him, but he's not the best candidate either if you look at his time at in the NFL.

Calhoun would be a solid offensive coordinator, but not a head coach. We need someone with experience IMHO at this juncture.

broncofaninfla
12-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I doubt Denver names a new coach until after the season. These are just rumors.

BroncoStud
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Call me crazy but would Mike Nolan be a candidate for the gig?

BroncoWave
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Andrew Mason has been saying tonight that there is basically zero chance that Gruden or Cowher will be our next coach. He says not to expect a "sexy" hire.

Northman
Frazier will more than likely stay in Minny.

dogfish
I totally agree.

No reason to fire someone like McD and turn around and hire someone with no NFL HC experience at all. Doesn't make sense.

I hope I wake up tomorrow and there are better options being talked about.

IF it at some point emerges that the broncos are honestly interested in calhoun, i'll have to go get a dog so i can kick it. . . which leads me to. . .

Why is the CBA relevant to this?

I hope the timing is because Bowlen has a handshake agreement with Gruden or equivalent and doesn't want to lose them.

no shit! please let that be the truth, and the calhoun rumor just an intentionally leaked smokescreen. . . i VASTLY prefer thinking that to believing that we're reduced to the equivalent of hiring lane kiffin. . .

:huh:

silkamilkamonico
12-06-2010, 08:54 PM

I hope not. Great DC, terrible HC.

People will disagree but I wouldn't Harbaugh from Standford. Offensive minded coach that seems to have a great knack for building a well rounded team. This assuming the non sexy hire and going the college ranks.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Andrew Mason has been saying tonight that there is basically zero chance that Gruden or Cowher will be our next coach. He says not to expect a "sexy" hire.

I believe him!! Too many $$$$$$ signs for Bowlen's taste!!

TXBRONC
12-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Why not he has ties to the Broncos and he's has head coaching experience.

dogfish
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM

unfortunately, that's kind of what i've been afraid of. . . xanders still has his job, and we're already hearing rumors about the next coach-- doesn't sound like we'll be getting the "real GM" that everyone wants. . . .

BroncoStud
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I mentioned him, but he's not the best candidate either if you look at his time at in the NFL.

Calhoun would be a solid offensive coordinator, but not a head coach. We need someone with experience IMHO at this juncture.

Haha Lan, tell me you're not referring to the drunk Dennis Ericson? Tell me it's some other up and comer in the collegiate ranks...

broncofaninfla
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
unfortunately, that's kind of what i've been afraid of. . . xanders still has his job, and we're already hearing rumors about the next coach-- doesn't sound like we'll be getting the "real GM" that everyone wants. . . .

Until we do we will suck.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Haha Lan, tell me you're not referring to the drunk Dennis Ericson? Tell me it's some other up and comer in the collegiate ranks...

I mentioned his name for as a person of interest in regards to personnel, not coaching...bad choice for a coaching position.

Medford Bronco
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
What about Jim Mora Jr.

He was decent in Atlanta and let go after only 1 year in Seattle.

I know some will not like it but there are much worse out there
than him at this time. He has had some success and you would
think he would learn from being on the sidelines for a year

G_Money
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Jim Mora???

HELLL NO!!!

~G

Ziggy
It's Tuna time! Bring in Parcell's and let him pick his own head coach.

Lancane
Don't expect a sexy pic as the new head coach in Denver says Lombardi of the NFLN.

ESPN is saying much the same, Bowlen will go the cheap route...which is ideally stupid. McDaniels was a sexy pic from a standpoint that he was a 'hot coordinator', too bad Garrett will likely return to Dallas, he actually became my favorite for the position right before we finally hired McDaniels.

A list of possible Head Coaches from ESPN:

Darrell Bevell (OC) Minnesota
Ron Rivera (DC) San Diego - (One of my top choices)
Brian Billick (Former HC) Baltimore
Mike Leach (Former HC) of Texas Tech (Not a good choice IMHO)
Troy Calhoun (HC) Air Force - (Not a good choice, maybe alright as the OC)
Jim Harbaugh (HC) Stanford - (Not a good choice IMHO)

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Didn't Ron Rivera coach an NFL team before!!:confused:

BigDaddyBronco
12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
If it shakes out this way, I was right, the problem with the Broncos is that Bowlen is cheap and a drunk.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
If it shakes out this way, I was right, the problem with the Broncos is that Bowlen is cheap and a drunk.

It doesn't look good!!

Lancane
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Didn't Ron Rivera coach an NFL team before!!:confused:

Ron Rivera has been a defensive quality control coach, linebacker coach and a defensive coordinator for Bears and currently the defensive coordinator for the Chargers.

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Ron Rivera has been a defensive quality control coach, linebacker coach and a defensive coordinator for Bears and currently the defensive coordinator for the Chargers.

Thanks....I thought he was a HC before!!

BeefStew25
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
It's Tuna time! Bring in Parcell's and let him pick his own head coach.

Kinda like Miami?

Parcells is a myth dude.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Ron Rivera is the only one named that I feel has enough experience to be successful as a head coach. His defenses are always amongst the best in the league, he can run the 4-3 or 3-4 defense and Martindale has been under him before in San Diego.

Another plus to Rivera is that he is Hispanic, and a Hispanic head coach would do wonders with our fan base that has a large number of Hispanic-Americans in it. I was saying the same when I said we should have drafted Mark Sanchez in 2009. He's completely defensive minded, so it would open up a position for a steadfast respectable offensive coordinator such as Troy Calhoun.

BeefStew25
12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Bring back Glenn Martinez. He is Puerto Rican.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks....I thought he was a HC before!!

Unfortunately not, his only other job was as a Sports Analyst and Anchorman at WGN-TV Chicago.

BeefStew25
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
atIR93z8T6M

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Ron Rivera is the only one named that I feel has enough experience to be successful as a head coach. His defenses are always amongst the best in the league, he can run the 4-3 or 3-4 defense and Martindale has been under him before in San Diego.

Another plus to Rivera is that he is Hispanic, and a Hispanic head coach would do wonders with our fan base that has a large number of Hispanic-Americans in it. I was saying the same when I said we should have drafted Mark Sanchez in 2009. He's completely defensive minded, so it would open up a position for a steadfast respectable offensive coordinator such as Troy Calhoun.

Sounds good to me and he'll fill the quota for the NFL! Hire him!!

Nomad
12-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I believe Bowlen pretty much has his mind made up who he wants.....retread with Denver ties - Kubiak! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cb2e3b/article/broncos-fire-mcdaniels-name-assistant-studesville-interim-coach?module=HP_headlines

Lancane's convinced me I'm jumping on the Rivera bandwagon!

:pray: please Texans don't fire Kubiak!!

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I believe Bowlen pretty much has his mind made up who he wants.....retread with Denver ties - Kubiak! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cb2e3b/article/broncos-fire-mcdaniels-name-assistant-studesville-interim-coach?module=HP_headlines

Lancane's convinced me I'm jumping on the Rivera bandwagon!

:pray: please Texans don't fire Kubiak!!

Just say no to Kubiak Bowlen, unless your leaning towards Calhoun...then say yes. But you need to go Latin chief...just say "Viva La Broncos"!

:lol:

dogfish
12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't expect a sexy pic as the new head coach in Denver says Lombardi of the NFLN.

ESPN is saying much the same, Bowlen will go the cheap route...which is ideally stupid. McDaniels was a sexy pic from a standpoint that he was a 'hot coordinator', too bad Garrett will likely return to Dallas, he actually became my favorite for the position right before we finally hired McDaniels.

A list of possible Head Coaches from ESPN:

Darrell Bevell (OC) Minnesota
Ron Rivera (DC) San Diego - (One of my top choices)
Brian Billick (Former HC) Baltimore
Mike Leach (Former HC) of Texas Tech (Not a good choice IMHO)
Troy Calhoun (HC) Air Force - (Not a good choice, maybe alright as the OC)
Jim Harbaugh (HC) Stanford - (Not a good choice IMHO)

looks like cheap-ass bowlen's wasting no time using the media to let the fans down gently. . .

:tsk:

i wouldn't hate rivera (or posssssibly harbaugh) IF they came with a strong personnel guy (which it looks like they won't), but that list is garbage for the most part. . . .

Lancane
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
looks like cheap-ass bowlen's wasting no time using the media to let the fans down gently. . .

:tsk:

i wouldn't hate rivera (or posssssibly harbaugh) IF they came with a strong personnel guy (which it looks like they won't), but that list is garbage for the most part. . . .

Rivera would be the only guy on that list who excites me...I like Calhoun but not as the head coach, maybe as the OC.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I predict Bevell. And I'd be cool with it.