PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Broncos Trade Montrae Holland To Cowboys!

TheSportsGuru
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Here's the link....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/8/28/603181/surprise-broncos-trade-mon

NightTrainLayne
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
WTF? That's a surprise. I guess it's better than cutting him, if that was the other option.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
A fifth rounder in 2010?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Awesome that we traded him, but 2010? Are you sure it's not 2009?

NightTrainLayne
08-28-2008, 01:53 PM
A fifth rounder in 2010?

Mike's dog-house is a really, really, really, inhospitable place to be eh?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Mike's dog-house is a really, really, really, inhospitable place to be eh?

Hell, I'll gladly take the 5th rounder even if it's in 2010 -- hopefully he passes the physical. I don't want this to be another Charlie Adams for a 6th tease that doesn't go through.

dogfish
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
seriously. . . . i'm fine with a 5th for holland, but we gotta wait two years. . . ?

:confused:

so, what are the implications of this? one may be that the team feels comfortable that nails is going to be able to play this year. . . another is that either lichtensteiger or tyler polumbus is going to make the final roster. . .

RunYouOver
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
This will be one of those cases where it'll seem like we cut him, then surprise! 2010 draft rolls around and we have an extra fifth rounder. So I'll pretend that we cut him, because all this does really for us in the immediate future is free up a roster spot, then I'll be happily surprised in 2010.

xzn
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
While I'm upset with THICKNESS for reporting out of shape I don't like trading away a guy who was at the very least quality depth, particularly with the uncertainty over Nalen's availability.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Holland was never that good anyways. He's even playing out of position here at RG, and is more suited for the other side. He lost his job to a rookie in New Orleans, and was pretty dumpy at Florida State as well. We got something for him, and that rocks. I'd like to for Guru to keep us up to date on when the pick actually is and stuff; but yeah Guru, thanks for breaking this news.

TheSportsGuru
08-28-2008, 01:59 PM
The link was to the actual Press Release I received from the Broncos....I will verify with them if it is correct...

Dortoh
08-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I like it. The tub of goo could not come into camp ready to compete then hit the bricks fatty. The youth movement is about gamers who want to compete.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
The link was to the actual Press Release I received from the Broncos....I will verify with them if it is correct...

Just saw that too, thanks Guru.

xzn
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
The only way this makes sense is that the staff felt like he was going to be cut in favor of other (younger) players with more upside. In that case getting a draft pick is better than just cutting him...

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Smells of another locker room problem, maybe.

I can't think of any other reason for this glorified release.

-----

underrated29
08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
NICE- thanks for the update thesportsguru!!!

One problem, or maybe actually a favor please. My work computer cant make the jump to your site. Would you be willing to forgo your normal policy and post it here for me. I promise to visit your site after work so you still get your cred. we always want to help you out for all the good stuff you have done for us.

But but but i want to see and know whats going on like all the other cool kids.

TheSportsGuru
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM

-----

Top, you were there last night....Didn't I say that Holland could be the surprise cut of this Training Camp?? You heard it...

Like you said, a glorified cut, with a draft pick to boot!

xzn
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know if this move creates any salary cap space? Didn't we give lard ass an extension?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM

-----

I'd say showing up to camp extremely overweight and not taking the conditioning seriously (which is a guess) -- which would be overall bad work ethic might have something to do with it. Maybe they're impressed with some of the younger players as well?

dogfish
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
NICE- thanks for the update dasportsguy!!!

One problem, or maybe actually a favor please. My work computer cant make the jump to your site. Would you be willing to forgo your normal policy and post it here for me. I promise to visit your site after work so you still get your cred. we always want to help you out for all the good stuff you have done for us.

we traded holland to the cowgirls for a 5th round pick. . . that's pretty much all there is to it. . . .

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd say showing up to camp extremely overweight and not taking the conditioning seriously (which is a guess) -- which would be overall bad work ethic might have something to do with it. Maybe they're impressed with some of the younger players as well?

All of the above. :nod:

-----

topscribe
we traded holland to the cowgirls for a 5th round pick. . . that's pretty much all there is to it. . . .

The Cowboys like those fat people . . .

-----

TheSportsGuru

The Denver Broncos on Thursday traded guard Montrae Holland to Dallas in exchange for a fifth-round choice in the 2010 NFL Draft, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

Holland, a sixth-year player, joined the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent on March 5, 2007, after spending his first four NFL seasons (2003-06) with New Orleans

The door to the Shanahan Dog House is a small one and like I said last night during MHR Radio, I wouldn't be surprised if Holland were to be cut. Well, he wasn't cut, but the Broncos surely sent a message by trading him away.

A 5th Rounder? Is that enough for you??

dogfish
08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
The Cowboys like those fat people . . .

-----

holland is liking it. . . . he can eat ten pounds of twinkies a day, and still not look all that big next to leonard davis. . . .

G_Money
08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Awesome that we traded him, but 2010? Are you sure it's not 2009?

Dallas sent its 6th rounder in '09 for the package for Pacman didn't they? Maybe the offer was a 6th rounder, but since they didn't have one they offered us a 5th rounder in '10 instead.

I'm a little surprised by this. Shanny's doghouse is LEGENDARY, but I haven't been overly impressed with either Gandy or Erickson, and with Wiegmann being our starter by default now and Hamilton being HIS backup, if something happens to either Wiegmann or Ben we're gonna need a starting-caliber guard to plug in. Kuper's busted hand is okay for now but any further problems with that would also necessitate a capable backup.

Maybe they really like Lichtensteiger. I haven't seen enough of him to know, but last time I looked at the depth chart he wasn't climbing it.

Not sure why Holland went away. If we'd traded him for Tashard Choice or a MLB or something, sure. But with the health questions and youth questions on our line, it makes me curious. Holland played decently well last year.

I thought we wanted people who play well.

~G

turftoad
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Top, you were there last night....Didn't I say that Holland could be the surprise cut of this Training Camp?? You heard it...

So did I Guru. Check the "Suprise Cut" thread.

Once in Shanny's dog house, you're on your way out the door.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. As I've stated before, Kupers natural position is RG. He played there for two years in college untill he was the best lineman on the team and went to LT.

NightTrainLayne

Short story short: We traded Holland to Dallas for a 5th round pick in 2010.

There's really nothing else to it.

DenBronx
it's about time we start getting something in return for some of these guys. holland's job was lost not only when he showed up looking like a fat ass but when alot of these young guys started playing at a high level. id rather give his roster spot to one of our young promising rookies.

i feel like a kid in a candy store for a 5th rounder for holland. this rocks!

broncosinindy
08-28-2008, 02:08 PM

-----

i think you are onto something top.. wasnt really to happy pushing that sled. i imagine and losing his job

Dortoh
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
To those that think we did not get enough value what do you feel the correct value for an about to be cut Olinemen who is to fat to play?

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM

I still think there's more to it than meets the eye. Yes, Holland came to camp
as TFTP. But he worked his butt off to get his weight down, and he was the
Broncos' one solid, consistent player on the O-line last year.

I suspect there was something amiss in the locker room, so he went the way
of Walker, Henry, Sauerbrun, and Gold. Shanny's tolerance level is nearly
nonexistent when it comes to locker room chemistry.

-----

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
There were people making fun of me on the Mane for saying it would be hard for Holland to get out of the doghouse. I can't wait 'til its back up and I can rub their noses in it.:viking:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
It's a 2010 pick, so it's viewed half as much as a valued fifth-rounder this year. I'd gladly wait until 2010, get their fifth-rounder instead of a seventh-rounder this year. Value is value. More ammo is better.

Requiem / The Dagda
There were people making fun of me on the Mane for saying it would be hard for Holland to get out of the doghouse. I can't wait 'til its back up and I can rub their noses in it.:viking:

It's back up dude. I just posted.

Dortoh

Its up already

broncosinindy
To those that think we did not get enough value what do you feel the correct value for an about to be cut Olinemen who is to fat to play?

atleast 2 first rounders

underrated29
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks dog,ntl,guru.

I would have preferred we got a little something mroe than a 2010 5th, deosnt that eqaute to a 7th? But getting something for nothing is always a good deal. Maybe we could have thrown in colbert and hamza for carpenter.lol.

dogfish
Dallas sent its 6th rounder in '09 for the package for Pacman didn't they? Maybe the offer was a 6th rounder, but since they didn't have one they offered us a 5th rounder in '10 instead.

I'm a little surprised by this. Shanny's doghouse is LEGENDARY, but I haven't been overly impressed with either Gandy or Erickson, and with Wiegmann being our starter by default now and Hamilton being HIS backup, if something happens to either Wiegmann or Ben we're gonna need a starting-caliber guard to plug in. Kuper's busted hand is okay for now but any further problems with that would also necessitate a capable backup.

Maybe they really like Lichtensteiger. I haven't seen enough of him to know, but last time I looked at the depth chart he wasn't climbing it.

Not sure why Holland went away. If we'd traded him for Tashard Choice or a MLB or something, sure. But with the health questions and youth questions on our line, it makes me curious. Holland played decently well last year.

~G

i'm suspecting that they must think nails will be ready soon, which will move weigmann back to being the utility backup for the interior OL. . . . either that, or p.j. alexander (who was with the team previously, and said to have impressed before he hurt himself in an ATV accident) has outplayed holland in camp and preseason-- and if that's the case, he's probably a cheaper option, and he has some versatility. . . OR, maybe they're confident in lichtensteiger, but at this point i'm guessing that they're going to try to sneak him onto the PS (or maybe he'll come down with a phantom injury here in the next few days). . .

but who knows? maybe shenanigans really just is that vindictive when guys get on his bad side. . . and in this case, i wouldn't blame him-- with a young team, he needs to let guys know that poor work ethic won't be tolerated, let alone rewarded. . . and if holland was the sacrficial lamb, it's not too great a price to pay IMO. . .

we'll get a clearer view once the rest of the cuts are announced. . . .

Requiem / The Dagda
Its up already

We can go to the lounge if you wanna talk about condoms again, dude.

Dortoh
08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
We can go to the lounge if you wanna talk about condoms again, dude.

Dont even get me started about this weekends adventure/train wreck :coffee:

G_Money
08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

A 5th rounder for Holland is fair. I actually like trading players we either won't play or will cut for draftpicks.

It sounds like Shanny is finally realizing the value draftpicks have in modern football, and that all the cool teams are building with them. If you have more of them, you can trade them to move up in the draft or to aquire vets who've out-stayed their welcome...or you can just draft more players. It's win-win-win to have draftpicks instead of players you hate.

I'm just hoping that the need for a vet who understands the system isn't a requirement this year. Maybe we're trying to keep other OL on the active roster so we don't lose them to other teams.

Are Lichtensteiger and Polumbus really that valuable?

Because the harm in keeping Holland when he's a decent player isn't much. The safety net he provides does have some worth to us, especially with Nalen's retirement coming closer every day.

But that's Shanny - better to dump someone early than late. There are times I wish he was as eager to research his acquisitions as he is to dispose of them when they don't give him what he wants. It would save Bowlen a lot of money and me a lot of headaches.

~G

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I think this is more business than Shanny's doghouse...but I did predict this myself in the surprise cuts thread. In any event, they're going to have to keep Lichtensteiger on the active roster, because if they cut him he be picked up. That probably is the case for Polumbus as well. Meaning they will cut Erickson and place him on the practice squad...he'll clear waivers and then keep either Gander or Alexander for depth...both of who are quality backups. To me, this was all about the numbers and we were very fortunate to turn this into a positive for our team.

G_Money
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks dog,ntl,guru.

I would have preferred we got a little something mroe than a 2010 5th, deosnt that eqaute to a 7th? But getting something for nothing is always a good deal. Maybe we could have thrown in colbert and hamza for carpenter.lol.

Don't go by that draft equation chart.

The reason you drop a 4th rounder in next year's draft to a 5th round equivalent value in this year's is because you KNOW the depth of this year's draft. Next year's is affected by the number of underclassmen that choose to come out, injuries, performance, etc. You can't guarantee that next year's draft will have the same quality of player in the 4th that this one has, so the value is lessened in theory.

In PRACTICE the 2010 draft could be totally deep and a 5th rounder there could be worth a 4th rounder. Or we could use it to move up in the draft. Or to trade for another player.

In theory it's not worth as much because it's not as much of a "sure thing." In practice, that is not the truth.

Getting a 5th rounder for a player you weren't gonna keep is a good thing. If some of our 2nd day picks this year work out, they'll show just how much value extra picks can have (since we had several extras). We should do that more often.

~G

GEM
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM

A couple jelly doughnuts...

turftoad
08-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I still think there's more to it than meets the eye. Yes, Holland came to came
as TFTP. But he worked his butt off to get his weight down, and he was the
Broncos' one solid, consistent player on the O-line last year.

I suspect there was something amiss in the locker room, so he went the way
of Walker, Henry, Sauerbrun, and Gold. Shanny's tolerance level is nearly
nonexistent when it comes to locker room chemistry.

-----

He should have worked his butt off during the off season and before camp. If he did, this wouldn't have happened, he'd be our starting RG and Harris and Kuper would be fighting for the RT position.
As is, the players have been practicing at thier positions ALL training camp and have proven themselves making the "in the dog house" Holland expendable.

You don't want to get in Shanny's dog house.

G_Money
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
A couple jelly doughnuts...

One for you, one for me. :beer:

Holland already ate his share, he can't have none.

~G

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure where Dallas is going to play him...but "Wow", he fits their line perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be very impressive on their line. I'm glad we're not playing that Oline in the regular season. What do they average...about 330lbs? Could be a good deal for both teams. The benefit of practicing with each other in the offseason.

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
His fat butt better not end up in the damn pro bowl. :coffee:

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure where Dallas is going to play him...but "Wow", he fits their line perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be very impressive on their line. I'm glad we're not playing that Oline in the regular season. What do they average...about 330lbs? Could be a good deal for both teams. The benefit of practicing with each other in the offseason.

Actually, the relative performances of Denver's lines against Dallas' lines may
have been a factor in judging Holland's expendability. Yes, Dallas looked like
men going up against boys . . . until the game began. Then Denver's lines
whipped Dallas' lines. Speed and quickness over lard.

I guess Denver didn't need any lard . . .

-----

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's the Denver Post article:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10326349

Broncos ship Holland to Dallas
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 08/28/2008 01:23:17 PM MDT

Montrae Holland. (THE DENVER POST | John Leyba)Montrae Holland is going to a team where being big isn't such a big deal.

The Broncos' 325-pound-or-so right guard was traded Thursday to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 draft.

"I really didn't want to leave because I really liked it here," Holland said. "I had built some great relationships and I love the area here and I liked playing for the organization. But at the same time, I'm going back home and I've got a new start."

Holland grew up in Jefferson, Texas, a two hour drive from Dallas. After beginning his career with New Orleans, Holland signed with the Broncos as a free agent prior to last season and started all 16 games.

He lost his starting job, however, when he reported to training camp nearly 20 pounds over his playing weight. The extra pounds banished him to two weeks of intense conditioning with coach Rich Tuten and by the time Holland returned, his starting job was given to Chris Kuper, who had shifted from right tackle. Ryan Harris became the right tackle.

"I got off to slow start and they moved on, which is what you have to do in the NFL" Holland said. "Chris is one of my good friends and he's got a great opportunity and I'm really happy for Ryan Harris, too. I'm not at all bitter. I thank coach (Mike) Shanahan and the Broncos for giving me a new life and now they've given me another new life."

The Broncos have already paid Holland a $1 million roster bonus, but the Cowboys will now assume his $1.15 million base salary. The Cowboys are considered the NFL's biggest team as they had 21 players who weighed at least 300 pounds when they worked out with the Broncos two weeks ago.

Holland was to fly Thursday to Dallas and meet with the coaching staff Friday, so he wasn't sure what his status will be there. But he likely has a better chance at playing time there than here as the Cowboys lost starting left guard Kyle Kosier to a foot injury that will sideline him at least the first four regular-season games.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
It's up. I just posted there.

-----

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Actually, the relative performances of Denver's lines against Dallas' lines may
have been a factor in judging Holland's expendability. Yes, Dallas looked like
men going up against boys . . . until the game began. Then Denver's lines
whipped Dallas' lines. Speed and quickness over lard.

I guess Denver didn't need any lard . . .

-----Well, I think we have to consider it was the preseason and I really don't recall us getting all that much pressure against Romo. Do you?

GEM
08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
One for you, one for me. :beer:

Holland already ate his share, he can't have none.

~G

:beer: Good times!

topscribe
08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, I think we have to consider it was the preseason and I really don't recall us getting all that much pressure against Romo. Do you?

Who cares about the circumstances? It was our best guys against their best
guys. The fact it was all vanilla is actually a greater testament because it's
less "trickery" and more mano a mano.

And I don't recall their getting much pressure against Cutler, do you?

-----

NightTrainLayne
08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, I think we have to consider it was the preseason and I really don't recall us getting all that much pressure against Romo. Do you?

No, but the O-line played well against their #1 d-line, and Holland plays on the o-line. Trading him away doesn't affect our d-line either way.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Holland was classy in his departure. Good luck in Dallas.

hamrob
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Who cares about the circumstances? It was our best guys against their best
guys. The fact it was all vanilla is actually a greater testament because it's
less "trickery" and more mano a mano.

And I don't recall their getting much pressure against Cutler, do you?

-----I thought we were discussing their OLINE...not their Dline? My point was...our Dline did not penetrate their massive Oline. To my point, it was only the preseason. However, I believe many would agree that Dallas has one of the best Olines in the game and Holland only makes them better.

hamrob
08-28-2008, 03:00 PM
No, but the O-line played well against their #1 d-line, and Holland plays on the o-line. Trading him away doesn't affect our d-line either way.I was saying that Dallas has a great Oline and that I'm glad we won't be going up against them in the regular season. Adding Holland, only helps them.

NightTrainLayne
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I was saying that Dallas has a great Oline and that I'm glad we won't be going up against them in the regular season. Adding Holland, only helps them.

Gotcha.

honz
08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
His fat butt better not end up in the damn pro bowl. :coffee:
You automatically have 50/50 chance of making the Pro Bowl if you have a star on your helmet.:coffee:

topscribe
08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I thought we were discussing their OLINE...not their Dline? My point was...our Dline did not penetrate their massive Oline. To my point, it was only the preseason. However, I believe many would agree that Dallas has one of the best Olines in the game and Holland only makes them better.

I really don't think Holland will make much difference in Dallas, unless one of
the starters goes down. He will provide depth . . . but first, he has to make
the team. If he was going to make that much of an impact on a line such as
Dallas', then he probably would have stayed here and eventually assumed his
starting position on the Broncos' line, IMO.

-----

hamrob
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
That's a good opinion. I think though with Dallas' latest injury at Guard...they were looking for a guy like Holland. They probably saw him work during their practices together and felt that he'd fit in well.

Secondly, do you think they'd give up a 5th rounder for a guy they're projecting as a backup? He may start out that way, because he needs to learn their blocking system, but I'd be surprised if he's not in their starting line-up very soon.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
That's a good opinion. I think though with Dallas' latest injury at Guard...they were looking for a guy like Holland. They probably saw him work during their practices together and felt that he'd fit in well.

Secondly, do you think they'd give up a 5th rounder for a guy they're projecting as a backup? He may start out that way, because he needs to learn their blocking system, but I'd be surprised if he's not in their starting line-up very soon.

A fifth-rounder is not exactly a very high choice, my friend, especially so far
into the future. This was a glorified release, IMO, a salvage cut, as it were.
Were I Robertson or Thomas, I don't think I would be any more afraid of the
'Boys line now.

No, Holland is gone for a reason, maybe a couple: talent and attitude. I'm
betting the Broncos now have better in both cases.

Just my opinion . . .

-----

Timmy!
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't like it. Not one bit. I understand it if we were going to just cut him, but I feel that would have been dumb as well. If Kuper or Hamilton get hurt, we're in big time trouble. Losing depth at a position we have little at to begin with.

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought Holland was one of our best o-lineman last year >_>

hamrob
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Evidently, Sirius radio is reporting that the Colts are interested in trading for Gandy. I think he's expendable as well. Perhaps we'll end up with two #5's. Wow!

From Kaylore over at the Mane:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70521

Grover
08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/08/cowboys-acquire-holland.html

Cowboys acquire Montrae Holland

"Concerned about their depth at guard after losing starter Kyle Kosier with a foot injury, the Cowboys acquired Montrae Holland, a Jefferson, Texas, native from Denver for a fifth-round pick in 2010 on Thursday.

Holland, 6-2, 322 pounds, started 16 games for the Broncos last year and has started 46 of the 68 games he has played in his career. He played for New Orleans from 2003-06.

To make room for Holland, safety Tyler Everett was cut."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Interestingly, Tyler Everett was a Denver Bronco for training camp in 2007.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Could that serve as a commentary on last year's line?

-----

underrated29
08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Evidently, Sirius radio is reporting that the Colts are interested in trading for Gandy. I think he's expendable as well. Perhaps we'll end up with two #5's. Wow!

From Kaylore over at the Mane:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70521

aha- i figured someone knew about it already.

I made a thread on it though. :whoknows:

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM

-----

Well it's not like we've improved with the unproven.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Well it's not like we've improved with the unproven.

So, you missed the Houston, Dallas, and GB games, then?

-----

dogfish
08-28-2008, 04:53 PM

-----

yes!

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 04:56 PM
So, you missed the Houston, Dallas, and GB games, then?

-----

http://i37.tinypic.com/33e6jac.gif

It's preseason.

dogfish
08-28-2008, 05:01 PM

It's preseason.

which means it doesn't mean anything, right? just like last year when our run defense was terrible in the preseason-- good thing that wasn't an accurate indication of how they were actually going to play!

this line is clearly more talented and imposing than last year's. . . .

WARHORSE
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's the Denver Post article:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10326349

Broncos ship Holland to Dallas
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 08/28/2008 01:23:17 PM MDT

Montrae Holland. (THE DENVER POST | John Leyba)Montrae Holland is going to a team where being big isn't such a big deal.

The Broncos' 325-pound-or-so right guard was traded Thursday to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 draft.

"I really didn't want to leave because I really liked it here," Holland said. "I had built some great relationships and I love the area here and I liked playing for the organization. But at the same time, I'm going back home and I've got a new start."

Holland grew up in Jefferson, Texas, a two hour drive from Dallas. After beginning his career with New Orleans, Holland signed with the Broncos as a free agent prior to last season and started all 16 games.

He lost his starting job, however, when he reported to training camp nearly 20 pounds over his playing weight. The extra pounds banished him to two weeks of intense conditioning with coach Rich Tuten and by the time Holland returned, his starting job was given to Chris Kuper, who had shifted from right tackle. Ryan Harris became the right tackle.

"I got off to slow start and they moved on, which is what you have to do in the NFL" Holland said. "Chris is one of my good friends and he's got a great opportunity and I'm really happy for Ryan Harris, too. I'm not at all bitter. I thank coach (Mike) Shanahan and the Broncos for giving me a new life and now they've given me another new life."

The Broncos have already paid Holland a $1 million roster bonus, but the Cowboys will now assume his $1.15 million base salary. The Cowboys are considered the NFL's biggest team as they had 21 players who weighed at least 300 pounds when they worked out with the Broncos two weeks ago.

Holland was to fly Thursday to Dallas and meet with the coaching staff Friday, so he wasn't sure what his status will be there. But he likely has a better chance at playing time there than here as the Cowboys lost starting left guard Kyle Kosier to a foot injury that will sideline him at least the first four regular-season games.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

The BRONCOS are a kick butt organization. This man just got handed his papers and hes still thanking the Broncos for his time here. I dont expect the Javon Walkers of the world to put in good words towards the Broncos org when they leave, but when you see guys like this talkin up the Broncos, once again, you gotta tip your hat to the way that Bowlen, Shanny, the coaches and the entire roster of employees run things here.

BRONCOS OR DIE BABY.:salute:

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
which means it doesn't mean anything, right? just like last year when our run defense was terrible in the preseason-- good thing that wasn't an accurate indication of how they were actually going to play!

Seems so. I still believe Holland was better than Kuper or whoever else he's going to be replaced with.

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
*Unless of course he was fat and out of shape.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM

It's preseason.

Yes, I've addressed that before. It makes no difference. It was our best guys
against their best guys, not once, but three times. And we won all three,
mano a mano, preseason or no preseason.

Regarding you impression that Holland is better than Kuper, that was mine,
too, up until today. But Shanny, who saw each play, day after day, thought
differently, apparently. I actually feel better about the line, now. We
jettisoned a player that the likes of Dallas wanted. There must be a reason
our line whipped theirs?

-----

honz
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM

No, I have said this before, but it appears I will have to say it again.

When something good happens during the preseason it doesn't mean anything because it is only the preseason, but if something bad happens during the preseason it is a sign of things to come even though it is only the preseason.:coffee:

topscribe
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
No, I have said this before, but it appears I will have to say it again.

When something good happens during the preseason it doesn't mean anything because it is only the preseason, but if something bad happens during the preseason it is a sign of things to come even though it is only the preseason.:coffee:

:shocked: ..... :confused:

:D

-----

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, I've addressed that before. It makes no difference. It was our best guys
against their best guys, not once, but three times. And we won all three,
mano a mano, preseason or no preseason.

Regarding you impression that Holland is better than Kuper, that was mine,
too, up until today. But Shanny, who saw each play, day after day, thought
differently, apparently. I actually feel better about the line, now. We
jettisoned a player that the likes of Dallas wanted. There must be a reason
our line whipped theirs?

-----

I'll take a wait and see approach. I take the preseason with a grain of salt unless you're doing really bad.

I still say that Holland was one of our better players last year. Unless he drastically failed to meet some standards or Kuper really improved, I don't really understand this other than as another 'Shanahan message' (for the previously mentioned reasons).

honz
08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
:shocked: ..... :confused:

-----
Yes, I know it is mind boggling, but it appears that is the logic that some fans use regarding the preseason.:whoknows:

topscribe
08-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I'll take a wait and see approach. I take the preseason with a grain of salt unless you're doing really bad.

I still say that Holland was one of our better players last year. Unless he drastically failed to meet some standards or Kuper really improved, I don't really understand this other than as another 'Shanahan message' (for the previously mentioned reasons).

Well, I can accept that Kuper really improved. How long has he played in the
NFL? There is a big jump between the first and second years, and maybe even
a bigger one between the second and third years, especially on the O-line.
Kuper has always been impressive with his latent talent. Now that he has
some experience under his belt, maybe it isn't so latent anymore?

-----

topscribe
08-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Yes, I know it is mind boggling, but it appears that is the logic that some fans use regarding the preseason.:whoknows:

Don't dooo that. You have to take into consideration the IQ level of some of our members.

Like mine, for instance.

:D

-----

dogfish
08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
chris kuper = bad mofo

LoyalSoldier
08-28-2008, 05:23 PM

-----

That would explain why the Cowboys took him. ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 05:32 PM
BILL WILLIAMSON IS REPORTING FOURTH ROUND PICK.
(http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-400/Denver-s-Holland-stunned-by-trade-to-Dallas.html)

He's probably wrong.

Inkana7
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Kuper's awesome anyway.

dogfish
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
BILL WILLIAMSON IS REPORTING FOURTH ROUND PICK.
(http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-400/Denver-s-Holland-stunned-by-trade-to-Dallas.html)

He's probably wrong.

if that's true, i'll be so happy i'll never say anything bad about burger bill again!

okay, maybe not, but i'll still be really happy. . . . .

topscribe
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
if that's true, i'll be so happy i'll never say anything bad about burger bill again!

okay, maybe not, but i'll still be really happy. . . . .

Well, speaking of "Burger" Bill . . .

I mentioned elsewhere how ironic it is that Bill Williamson was reporting about
a matter that involves overweight. :laugh:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Ya I laughed at that Top. :smile:

omac
08-28-2008, 05:59 PM

The man's got tons of class. :salute:

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM

I thought I saw something that he graded out better than everyone else..

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Damn dude, they'll have to make a new Wendy's commercial for the Broncos Cup. Aw, man.

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, I can accept that Kuper really improved. How long has he played in the
NFL? There is a big jump between the first and second years, and maybe even
a bigger one between the second and third years, especially on the O-line.
Kuper has always been impressive with his latent talent. Now that he has
some experience under his belt, maybe it isn't so latent anymore?

-----

Yet behind him we have a rookie in Licthensteiger, Weigmann (who may be our starting center yet this year) and Hamilton is no spring chicken. I suspect getting rid of your best OLINE guy from last year and replacing him with a bunch of rookies and a 6 game starter is a good thing?

I think we just got thinner than we needed to.. Pardon the pun..

Let me add going from a maybe playoff team to the presumptive super bowl team from the NFC how can that be bad? HE should be doing cart wheels all the way to the airport..

Slick
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Is it too late to trade the 2010 5th rounder and maybe another pick/player back to the Cowboys for Bobby Carpenter?

blueblood15
08-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's the link....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/8/28/603181/surprise-broncos-trade-mon

I read on espn it was actually a 4th rounder in 2010

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-400/Denver-s-Holland-stunned-by-trade-to-Dallas.html

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I read on espn it was actually a 4th rounder in 2010

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-400/Denver-s-Holland-stunned-by-trade-to-Dallas.html

Bill misread the press release apparently.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/08/28/holland-traded/

turftoad
08-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Yet behind him we have a rookie in Licthensteiger, Weigmann (who may be our starting center yet this year) and Hamilton is no spring chicken. I suspect getting rid of your best OLINE guy from last year and replacing him with a bunch of rookies and a 6 game starter is a good thing?

Let me add going from a maybe playoff team to the presumptive super bowl team from the NFC how can that be bad? HE should be doing cart wheels all the way to the airport..

I agree that Holland is a good player. He could have helped us this year no doubt.

That said, Shanny must have thought he has no self dicipline or didn't care.

The dog house is not fun.

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree that Holland is a good player. He could have helped us this year no doubt.

That said, Shanny must have thought he has no self dicipline or didn't care.

The dog house is not fun.

IMO just other bad GM decision out of Dove valley..

If they are going for a youth movement then start Licthensteiger and get another rookie OLG and plug him in there and lets get the line of the late 2000's started.. keep the geezers for backups..

Makes no sense to play Nalen and Hamilton this year and have to replaced them next and the year after..

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't get why people pump up Carpenter.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Holland at best was a one or two year rental guy. He wasn't going to be a long-term solution here on the line. He was a stop gap who was signed to a short term, but then re-signed later on because he played well. We get offensive line help in other FA signings, and some younger players are playing well. Harris and Kuper took advantage of their situations, and the organization obviously feels that Holland is dispensable for a second day choice. Cannot say I blame them.

Skinny
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Eh, apperantly we have better depth players than Holland. Good to know. I'll hold off on the depends.

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Being in the area, all I know about Carpenter was that he was instantly buried in the depth chart and never seen again.

dogfish
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
given the success we've had with 4th and 5th round picks recently, this could work out quite well. . . after all, everybody around here was talking up torrain a mile a minute before he got hurt, and he was a 5th round pick. . . so was kuper. . . and marshall, dumervil and marcus thomas were 4ths. . . those are the rounds where you can often find a lot of legitimate talents that slipped out of the first day (i still mean rounds 1-3 when i use that term)-- maybe because of injury problems, because they're undersized, didn't test well at the combine, maybe they played for a small school and didn't get the hype, whatever. . . or maybe they just don't play a premier position-- lots of good centers, guards, fullbacks and safeties go in that range, and the top kickers and punters usually do as well. . . stockpiling extra picks makes me almost as happy as winning games. . . . :elefant:

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 07:03 PM
given the success we've had with 4th and 5th round picks recently, this could work out quite well. . . after all, everybody around here was talking up torrain a mile a minute before he got hurt, and he was a 5th round pick. . . so was kuper. . . and marshall, dumervil and marcus thomas were 4ths. . . those are the rounds where you can often find a lot of legitimate talents that slipped out of the first day (i still mean rounds 1-3 when i use that term)-- maybe because of injury problems, because they're undersized, didn't test well at the combine, maybe they played for a small school and didn't get the hype, whatever. . . or maybe they just don't play a premier position-- lots of good centers, guards, fullbacks and safeties go in that range, and the top kickers and punters usually do as well. . . stockpiling extra picks makes me almost as happy as winning games. . . . :elefant:

Overall I think you can pick up good but not spectacular talent in rounds 3-4 past that it gets real iffy IMO.. NOW DEN like 5+ rounders for RB and OLINE guys but that has been the past.. the OLINE folks now need to be bigger than the fly weights we have gotten in the past to compete at the NFL level. so getting Kuper in the 4th was a steal IMO getting a top notch OLT is a horse another color. Now unless something happens to him we should be good at OLT for the next decade..

You still need day one picks IMO for RB, DT, DE, Safety (2nd), LB, CB. Which all need to be replunished every so often..

Slick
08-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't get why people pump up Carpenter.

Don't start with me. I will catch a flight.

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Meh...as long as it would take you to get a connecting flight to Fargo, Dream would be in Mexico. :laugh:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 07:08 PM

*holds you down* ANSWER ME!

Slick
08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
*holds you down* ANSWER ME!

I thought he was a good college player buried on the depth chart on a team with more talent at LBer than we have. I guess he just sucks. Carry on with intelligent football conversation. I know where the door is.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I thought he was a good college player buried on the depth chart on a team with more talent at LBer than we have. I guess he just sucks. Carry on with intelligent football conversation. I know where the door is.

*rubs your cheek* Baby, I don't wanna hurt you. We can meet in the middle and say he's okay. Okay, sweetpea?

Slick
08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
*rubs your cheek* Baby, I don't wanna hurt you. We can meet in the middle and say he's okay. Okay, sweetpea?

Don't patronize me.

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Slick, this is the first time I've seen you get testy.

I had to imagine you angry under water to suppress my surprise. Something like, "Brahahhrhrahh rahh?!" *bubbles*

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Slick, this is the first time I've seen you get testy.

I had to imagine you angry under water to suppress my surprise. Something like, "Brahahhrhrahh rahh?!" *bubbles*

Shouldn't you be at a football game? That place is half empty.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM

As I look at the depth chart, it concerns me a little, too. Behind Kuper and
Hamilton are Lichtensteiger and Erickson, besides Gandy. Now there are
rumors that the Broncos are talking with the Colts about Gandy.

Man, I hope neither Kuper nor Hamilton go down. Either that, or Cutler
grows wheels.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm missing my home opener right now, it's depressin'.

NameUsedBefore
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Is it on T.V.?

Oh and I'm uninvolved.

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Is it on T.V.?

Oh and I'm uninvolved.

Its on FSN here.

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
As I look at the depth chart, it concerns me a little, too. Behind Kuper and
Hamilton are Lichtensteiger and Erickson, besides Gandy. Now there are
rumors that the Broncos are talking with the Colts about Gandy.

Man, I hope neither Kuper nor Hamilton go down. Either that, or Cutler
grows wheels.

-----

from what most have said Hamilton, is already on roller blades during pass protection..

I have concerns unless these nobodies are doing something in camp that no one can see it could be a short period between concussions..

Spend a gazillion on an OLT and allow the depth everywhere to go in the toilet..

topscribe
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
from what most have said Hamilton, is already on roller blades during pass protection..

I have concerns unless these nobodies are doing something in camp that no one can see it could be a short period between concussions..

Spend a gazillion on an OLT and allow the depth everywhere to go in the toilet..

Well, I don't necessarily believe that about Hamilton. The line had little trouble
protecting Cutler in three straight games, which means that all the O-line is
doing well. So, however Hammy is skating, I hope he keeps it up.

I just hope he doesn't go down, as I mentioned.

-----

TheSportsGuru
08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, I don't necessarily believe that about Hamilton. The line had little trouble
protecting Cutler in three straight games, which means that all the O-line is
doing well. So, however Hammy is skating, I hope he keeps it up.

I just hope he doesn't go down, as I mentioned.

-----

The Broncos could still comb the waiver wire on Saturday afternoon after the rest of the teams make their cuts. I don't think the guys we have are necessarily the ones we'll go into Oakland with....

Just a hunch.

Stargazer
08-28-2008, 07:47 PM
You know what. I'm happy Denver is able to acquire a 4th for Holland. Teams that are heading in the right direction unload players for say a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and even 7th round picks. It's nice to see the Broncos ship Holland for a 4th. To me it says Denver is doing something right. There's nothing better than unloading players for mid-round picks. Clearly Holland wasn't going to start. Ship him for a 4th and acquire a draft pick. Good teams unload players & acquire more draft picks. Times just might be changing in Dove Valley.

Simple Jaded
08-28-2008, 08:07 PM

~G

When injuries hit and the Broncos are starting Mitch Erickson Shanahan should make room for himself in his Legendary doghouse.

I expect the "Mitch Erickson reminds me of John Hannah" Hype Release from the GM any day now......

SmilinAssasSin27
08-28-2008, 08:29 PM
surprising move, but as some said if he was fodder anyways the draft pick will be nice to have.