PDA

View Full Version : Imagine, if you will, an offense dominating the AFC....

Tned
12-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I haven't seen it, but let's do that inception dream thing.

Imagine a different last 18 months. It starts with McDaniels not discussing the possibility of trading for Cassel at the combine, not trying to beat KC to the punch, not playing hardball with Cutler, young ego against young ego.

With Cutler as our QB, things would not have gone south with Scheffler and there would be no need to bring in competition for Orton, so there would be no need to trade for Quinn.

Now, whether or not keeping Cutler would have changed the Marshall events, let's again plant a seed into the imagination, where McDaniels didn't humiliate Marshall in front of team mates, fans and media, putting him on the scout team as a punt gunner and safety, which then led to the outburst and punting incident and eventual exit.

So, now we have a skills position lineup of:

WR: Marshall, Royal and Lloyd (Gaffney last year)
Graham and Scheffler at TE
Hiillis at FB and Moreno at RB
Cutler at QB.

Cutler would likely have flourished in this offense. His mobility would have made up for any pass blocking deficiencies, and his arm doing what it does.

That would have been a personnel group that could actually take advantage of McDaniels' offensive ideas. That could have been one of the more potent offenses in the NFL. McDaniels claimed to see that when he took the job.

That would have been an offense that could have scored enough to cover for our defense, while McDaniels focused the last 18 months on rebuilding it, rather than rebuilding an offense that didn't need to be torn down and built back up.

So, as we languish at 3-9, wondering if Tebow will start, wondering if McDaniels will survive the year or the offseason, wondering how we will make up for all the draft picks we've traded away, Jeff George, errr Jay Cutler, is on his way to the playoffs and possibly a first round bye on the way there.

Imagine, if you will.....

scott.475
12-06-2010, 01:06 AM
I can imagine it alright :sigh: I can even imagine doing it without Marshall. Still, even with all those people in place I'm not sure Josh could their best from them because I think he would have been so stuck to his system that he would not try to make it work to take advantage of the talent he would have been given.

Still, I can imagine. It is a good thought.

atwater27
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
I like that imagined scenario.... I think in hindsight McDaniels likes that one too...

Ravage!!!
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Man... I have imagined that since the end of 2008, and was still just as happy with it when it didn't include Moreno.

*dreamy sigh*

PAINTERDAVE
12-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Past is past.

Imagine an offense next season with Tebow at the helm...
an offense of energy and excitement.
Thomas, Royal, Lloyd and Decker...
the O-line dominating now that Clady is full strength
and Beadles and Walton are no lonnger Rookies...
draft a TE in the late rounds...

Positive enrgy attracts positive outcomes.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Now, imagine this team without Josh McDaniels...

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg

spikerman
12-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Imagine a different last 18 months. It starts with McDaniels not discussing the possibility of trading for Cassel at the combine, not trying to beat KC to the punch, not playing hardball with Cutler, young ego against young ego.

With Cutler as our QB, things would not have gone south with Scheffler and there would be no need to bring in competition for Orton, so there would be no need to trade for Quinn.

Now, whether or not keeping Cutler would have changed the Marshall events, let's again plant a seed into the imagination, where McDaniels didn't humiliate Marshall in front of team mates, fans and media, putting him on the scout team as a punt gunner and safety, which then led to the outburst and punting incident and eventual exit.

Cutler at QB.

Cutler would likely have flourished in this offense. His mobility would have made up for any pass blocking deficiencies, and his arm doing what it does.

That would have been a personnel group that could actually take advantage of McDaniels' offensive ideas. That could have been one of the more potent offenses in the NFL. McDaniels claimed to see that when he took the job.

That would have been an offense that could have scored enough to cover for our defense, while McDaniels focused the last 18 months on rebuilding it, rather than rebuilding an offense that didn't need to be torn down and built back up.

So, as we languish at 3-9, wondering if Tebow will start, wondering if McDaniels will survive the year or the offseason, wondering how we will make up for all the draft picks we've traded away, Jeff George, errr Jay Cutler, is on his way to the playoffs and possibly a first round bye on the way there.

Even more frustrating, as you hinted at, is that with that offense still intact the Broncos could have focused their draft and FA signings on the defense instead of trying to replace players that were, imo, needlessly jettisoned.

Northman
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Cutler at QB.

Ugh, did you really have to remind me........ :lol:

Tned
12-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Ugh, did you really have to remind me........ :lol:

I couldn't sleep.... :cool:

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm about to go read the article, but here's a tidbit that Andrew Mason Tweeted this morning:

RT @MaxBroncos: A numbers look back at Sunday: #Broncos dropped to 25-3 w/ a 160-yard rusher; passing yards fewest since 12/31/05: http://bit.ly/eyKmjd

BigDaddyBronco
12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Imagine how the drama queen would have acted when we drafted Tebow.

Northman
12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Yea, McD was pretty psyched when we did.

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Imagine how the drama queen would have acted when we drafted Tebow.

If we had Cutler, we almost certainly wouldn't have drafted Tebow. Tebow was drafted because McDaniels, like most Broncos fans, know that Orton isn't a long term solution.

arapaho2
12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
imagine if bowlen had just hired anybody but mcd

they would most certainly been happy and thrilled to take over a very young offense that showed huge potential to become a great offensive group

and most certainly would have focused on building the defense

end of vision....reality sets in...we hired mcd...:mad: