PDA

View Full Version : Forum Game: List of Josh McDaniels Bad Personnel Decisions

eessydo
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
So since we suck, let's have some fun and list (in chronological order) the bad personnel decisions by Josh McDaniels. I will start it off and let's see how many we can name.

eessydo
12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Horrible Personnel Decision #1

February 27, 2009 Free Agency
Broncos Sign Lonie Paxton - Long Snapper from New England

"On February 27, 2009, Paxton signed a five-year, $5.3 million contract with the Denver Broncos. The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus. This made Paxton the second-highest paid long snapper in the NFL, slightly behind Ryan Pontbriand of the Cleveland Browns."

-Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonie_Paxton)-

Yes, that is right, a guy who rarely sees the field gets paid roughly half as much as some of our starting players like:

Jabar Gaffney - WR - 02/27/209, 4 Years, 10 mil, 3 Guaranteed
Renaldo Hill - FS - 02/27/2009 - 4 Years, 10 mil, 3 Guaranteed

This is where I started pressing the panic button, seriously. If you go back you will see my previous posts on this. I think the first thing I thought when this signing happen was "WTF?? We are screwed."

GEM
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
February 27, 2009 Free Agency
Broncos Sign Lonie Paxton - Long Snapper from New England

"On February 27, 2009, Paxton signed a five-year, $5.3 million contract with the Denver Broncos. The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus. This made Paxton the second-highest paid long snapper in the NFL, slightly behind Ryan Pontbriand of the Cleveland Browns."

-Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonie_Paxton)-

Frau would high 5 you a million times if she could.

Josh's worst Broncos decision....the day he accepted the Broncos job. From that day forward, everything Broncos was changed forever.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Trading Brandon Marshall and then getting more output from Brandon Lloyd. Totally gay.

Tned
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Pursuing Cassel, and failing to get him
Failing to smooth out above failure, and then trading Cutler
Trading a first round pick to pick a short, slow corner back in the second round (A. Smith)
Publicly humiliating Marshall in Training camp, making him run on the scout team as a punt gunner and safety.
Failing to play Hillis in '09, and as a result not giving Hillis a chance to do what he did in '08 and has done in '10
Trading Marshall
Trading Hillis

Softskull
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Trading Brandon Marshall and then getting more output from Brandon Lloyd. Totally gay.

I've seen others say this, but the reality is we could have had both guys on this team.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I've seen others say this, but the reality is we could have had both guys on this team.

McD is loser, but Marshall's time in DEN was about up. Too much baggage.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Also, Dread warned me about you.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 09:40 PM

I do not miss Marshall much and it's too bad McD and Culter couldnt' hit it off, cause Orton is pretty good.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Also, Dread warned me about you.

yeah, no offense Softskull, but you seem a bit immoral. ah, who am I to judge. forget what I said

eessydo
12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
July 26th 2009
NFL Draft
Alphonso Smith

Broncos have 2 future #1 picks in 2010 due to the Jay Cutler Trade. Broncos trade one away to move into the second round to draft Alphonso Smith, only to trade him away 1 year later for a 6th round pick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVDkOfQbV4&feature=related). What a joke and the Draft crew had a good laugh at them considering the value.

The pick traded away, I may add, that ended up being the 14th pick in the draft that could have been used to acquire Tim Tebow without trading away the farm (yet again). But that is later in the Chronology.

Denver Broncos

The Broncos selected Smith in the 2nd round (37th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. The Broncos traded their first round pick in 2010 in order to select him. On July 26, 2009, Smith signed a four-year, $4.08 million contract with a $2.15 million signing bonus. Smith can earn $750,000 through a one-time playing-time incentive that is guaranteed for injury. In addition, if Smith wins Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2009, he'll receive a $100,000 performance escalator. He can also earn a $50,000 workout bonus in 2011 and a $130,000 workout bonus in 2012. His base salary will be $310,000 in 2009, $395,000 in 2010, $480,000 in 2011, and $565,000 in 2012.

I might also add that Smith was scheduled to make roughly the same amount as the long snapper signed a couple of months earlier.

Detroit Lions

On September 4th, 2010, Alphonso Smith was traded to the Detroit Lions for TE Dan Gronkowski.

I offer up this article "Alphonso Smith Trade Embarrasses Denver" from Bill Williamson of ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/16551/alphonso-smith-trade-is-embarrassing-for-denver) as a satirical yet heart breaking reality of this HORRIBLE MOVE!!

To add insult to injury he is now starting for the Detroit Lions who happen to have a slightly better pass defense than we do, along with 5 interceptions which happens to be just 1 shy of the Broncos Entire 2010 total.

He is also only two receptions and 8 yards shy of Dan Grankowski's (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12539) season total along with having 1 more TD (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12431) than Grankowski does at this point in the season.

God, McDaniels is a freaking retard.

Softskull
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I don't disagree that Marshall came with a crapload of baggage, but the kid had skills that are very difficult to match up against. Now imagine if we had Lloyd's deep threat with Marshall. Not that we've really struggled in passing, but we've sucked on 3rd downs and red zone. I'd love to have seen those two playing together at their prime. Throw in Royal and Decker (I like DThomas, but would NEVER have used our first on him), that would be the schizzle.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't disagree that Marshall came with a crapload of baggage, but the kid had skills that are very difficult to match up against. Now imagine if we had Lloyd's deep threat with Marshall. Not that we've really struggled in passing, but we've sucked on 3rd downs and red zone. I'd love to have seen those two playing together at their prime. Throw in Royal and Decker (I like DThomas, but would NEVER have used our first on him), that would be the schizzle.

I guess I need to see which guy we draft with the 2nd round pick we used to move up in the 4th before I can judge.

Softskull
12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
yeah, no offense Softskull, but you seem a bit immoral. ah, who am I to judge. forget what I said

What the....? Is this a religion board? Since when did football conversations turn to morals?

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Is this a religion board? Since when did football conversations turn to morals?

When you make excuses for Marshall's behavior!

Ravage!!!
12-05-2010, 09:51 PM
What the....? Is this a religion board? Since when did football conversations turn to morals?

Having morals isn't restricted to religion.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Like I said, just forget about it.

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Pursuing Cassel, and failing to get him
Failing to smooth out above failure, and then trading Cutler
Trading a first round pick to pick a short, slow corner back in the second round (A. Smith)
Publicly humiliating Marshall in Training camp, making him run on the scout team as a punt gunner and safety.
Failing to play Hillis in '09, and as a result not giving Hillis a chance to do what he did in '08 and has done in '10
Trading Marshall
Trading Hillis

8. Dressing down his coaching staff in front of the owner.

9. Hiring a former New England videographer who was ass deep in the original Spygate of the Patriots.

10. "Forgetting" to inform the League of the illegal taping by said person in reason number 9.

Softskull
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Having morals isn't restricted to religion.

No, I get that, but discussions of MY morals on a football board? We can take that up in the Religion forum. Isn't this about McDaniels? How about Hillises morals?

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
No, I get that, but discussions of MY morals on a football board? We can take that up in the Religion forum. Isn't this about McDaniels? How about Hillises morals?

Hillis never laid a hand on McD's wife. Grow up!

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM

what it it exactly that you are afraid of discussing?

Softskull
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
When you make excuses for Marshall's behavior!

I don't think that anyone has excused Marshall's behavior. No one here has excused DJ's behavior, or Ronald Fields behavior either.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't think that anyone has excused Marshall's behavior. No one here has excused DJ's behavior, or Ronald Fields behavior either.

who is anyone on here to excuse anyone's behavior. We're all brothers Softskull and we are all sinners.

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Guys I think we're getting way off in the weeds.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Hey, speak for yourself. I do not smoke pot

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey, speak for yourself. I do not smoke pot

Shut up. :lol:

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Hey do you go to Midland often?

Softskull
12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
who is anyone on here to excuse anyone's behavior. We're all brothers Softskull and we are all sinners.

No, McDaniels is not my brother. I have a hard enough time believing he's our HC. We're discussing his poor decisions. His immoral decisions of my blessed Broncos. He must pay for his wickedness. :shocked:

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM

No, about once every three months.

Softskull
12-05-2010, 10:09 PM

I use to when I lived in San Angelo. I new a little gal down near Midland/Odessa. It's a dusty little podunk.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
No, McDaniels is not my brother. I have a hard enough time believing he's our HC. We're discussing his poor decisions. His immoral decisions of my blessed Broncos. He must pay for his wickedness. :shocked:

no, us forum members are brothers and sisters in Christ, is what I meant. Everyone outside is probably an infidel I would guess

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I use to when I lived in San Angelo. I new a little gal down near Midland/Odessa. It's a dusty little podunk.

Considering I grew up in a town of 11,000 people Midland/Odessa pretty big. Around 200,000 combined.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Yeah I was there a bunch in college. Saw Permian play one night.

Tned
12-05-2010, 10:14 PM
8. Dressing down his coaching staff in front of the owner.

9. Hiring a former New England videographer who was ass deep in the original Spygate of the Patriots.

10. "Forgetting" to inform the League of the illegal taping by said person in reason number 9.

I didn't consider those personnel decisions.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Considering I grew up in a town of 11,000 people Midland/Odessa pretty big. Around 200,000 combined.

And way better than Lubbock. What a gay town.

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I didn't consider those personnel decisions.

Ok but McDaniels is the one who hired him.

Softskull
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Yikes. My little ol' county had about 8 million at the time. Texans were considered one of our many ethnic communities there, ranked just behind Filipinos in population.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Yikes. My little ol' county had about 8 million at the time. Texans were considered one of our many ethnic communities there, ranked just behind Filipinos in population.

Man I am excited about the rest of the country bailing out all your public pensions.

eessydo
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Technically Odessa is up from San Angelo, not down. Either way both cities are in the ******* of texas. I'd rather live in Port Arthur, and that place is dirty and polluted with the refinery.

scott.475
12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
The Hillis trade takes the top three spots.

TXBRONC
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
The Hillis trade takes the top three spots.

Dang three spots?

Chris90210
12-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Dang three spots?

He's a big dude

rationalfan
12-05-2010, 11:50 PM
seriously, what did all you haters hate on before mcd was here? gravity? trans fats? travis henry? damn.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
seriously, what did all you haters hate on before mcd was here? gravity? trans fats? travis henry? damn.

Bob Slowik.

Lancane
12-05-2010, 11:52 PM
no, us forum members are brothers and sisters in Christ, is what I meant. Everyone outside is probably an infidel I would guess

What if were not Christian? :tsk:

Tned
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Griese
Jake
Jay
Shanahan
Travis Henry
Slowik
Bates

Not necessarily in that order. Most didn't hate all of them, it was pick and choose. Those that hated Griese typically liked Plummer. Those that liked Jake, typically hated Jay. Etc.

BeefStew25
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM

Probably nothing, but the bad grammar is grave sin.

BroncoNut
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM

then I hate you

Lancane
12-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Griese
Jake
Jay
Shanahan
Travis Henry
Slowik
Bates

Not necessarily in that order. Most didn't hate all of them, it was pick and choose. Those that hated Griese typically liked Plummer. Those that liked Jake, typically hated Jay. Etc.

I never hated on Jay Cutler, that was the others on here who thought less of him. People forget that I said we'd draft Cutler and he'd be the best of his draft class...I never wanted him to be traded, nor is Orton in the same class as him. That in my honest opinion was the move that made me hate McDaniels' ass the most of all his dumb F'n idiotic moves.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 12:01 AM
then I hate you

Up yours!

You can literally shove your hate right back up your ass buddy...

:lol:

Tned
12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I never hated on Jay Cutler, that was the others on here who thought less of him. People forget that I said we'd draft Cutler and he'd be the best of his draft class...I never wanted him to be traded, nor is Orton in the same class as him. That in my honest opinion was the move that made me hate McDaniels' ass the most of all his dumb F'n idiotic moves.

I didn't say everyone hated Cutler, just that was some of the cast of characters that have taken most of the fan's wrath in recent years.

Most that liked Jake, hated Jay and vice versa. Not all, but most.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I didn't say everyone hated Cutler, just that was some of the cast of characters that have taken most of the fan's wrath in recent years.

Like how I hated on Jake for those years and Orton now? I get it...but I wanted to clarify my own position.

Jay Cutler and the Bears 9-3, Josh McDaniels and the Broncos 3-9...Karma is a real bitch!

:tsk:

Tned
12-06-2010, 12:09 AM
I was just looking to see if the 2011 draft date had been set and found a Wiki page listing all the trades already made. Looks like our 4, 5, and 6th round picks are gone.

The 4th was traded for Maroney.
The 5th was traded to get a pair of 2010 7th's from TB, one of which was used on Sid Thompson.
The 6th was traded along with a 2012 6th (or higher -- conditional pick) and Hillis for Brady Quinn.

So, we do have an extra 2nd from the Marshall trade, so it looks like we have: 1, 2, 2, 3 and 7 in 2011.

Tned
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Like how I hated on Jake for those years and Orton now? I get it...but I wanted to clarify my own position.

Jay Cutler and the Bears 9-3, Josh McDaniels and the Broncos 3-9...Karma is a real bitch!

:tsk:

Clarify away. I never said anything one way or another about your 'hate'. The fact you were wrong on Plummer is ancient history. Offset by being right about Jay I suppose.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Clarify away. I never said anything one way or another about your 'hate'. The fact you were wrong on Plummer is ancient history. Offset by being right about Jay I suppose.

Tned, I was never wrong about Jake, I always said he had talent...just that his head was shoved somewhere not so nice!

:D

Lancane
12-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I was just looking to see if the 2011 draft date had been set and found a Wiki page listing all the trades already made. Looks like our 4, 5, and 6th round picks are gone.

The 4th was traded for Maroney.
The 5th was traded to get a pair of 2010 7th's from TB, one of which was used on Sid Thompson.
The 6th was traded along with a 2012 6th (or higher -- conditional pick) and Hillis for Brady Quinn.

So, we do have an extra 2nd from the Marshall trade, so it looks like we have: 1, 2, 2, 3 and 7 in 2011.

So we should trade Orton for a 4th round pick! Sounds good to me, wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels remains that he traded Royal and Williams as well.

Tned
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Tned, I was never wrong about Jake, I always said he had talent...just that his head was shoved somewhere not so nice!

:D

Yep, that .700 or so winning percentage of his was just horrible. You know, we got bumped out of the playoffs by Indy. You remember, when Jake was playing DB and giving up all those passing yards to Manning...

Ravage!!!
12-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Jake didn't want to study film, and the AFC Championshop against Pitt was a dead on proof of that fact. Just watching Jaws break down taht game film, and showing time and time and time again how Plummer mis-read the defense.... made me thrilled at the drafting of Jay.

I believe some on this board were bragging about Orton's win % beofre this season, and were complaining about Jay's. So his win % here doesn't really resemble his play, especially that last season, when he basically gave up after draft day.

ogplife
12-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Kevin Vickerson?
Joe Mays?
Knoshown Moreno?
Drafting the pups on the O line?
The value he received for Marshall?
The value he received for Cutler?
Taking a chance on Brandon Lloyd?
Robert Ayers?
Darcell Mcbath?
Taking a chance on Perrish Cox?
Sydquan Thompson in the 7th Round?
Jason Hunter?
Resigning Doom long term (YES HE got a Freak Injury right after) because the team needed a PASS RUSH
These moves don't account for the potential of Decker,Tebow and Thomas who were all not expected to be major contributors until year two (in Tebow's case year three)

Elevation inc
12-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Kevin Vickerson?
Joe Mays?
Knoshown Moreno?
Robert Ayers?
Darcell Mcbath?
Jason Hunter?
Resigning Doom long term (YES HE got a Freak Injury right after) because the team needed a PASS RUSH
These moves don't account for the potential of Decker,Tebow and Thomas who were all not expected to be major contributors until year two (in Tebow's case year three)

its a lost case bud...i like those moves, but the damage has been done, people will not let MCD get out of the damage he did.....

Also TNED we have a 6th rd pick fron New England as well...we traded our 4th rd pick for maroney and a 6th rd pick from new england

if you want a draft order update here ya go....
http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2011.php

TXBRONC
12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
He's a big dude

He's biggin that's for sure.

TXBRONC
12-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I didn't hate any of those guys. I did however think there came a time to move on from Griese, Plummer, Bates, and Slowick. While I didn't expect Shanahan to get fired I do understand why he was and that it may have been the best thing for both parties.

Dirk
12-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Interesting thread. It sure got side tracked! :lol:

I would say that the biggest personnel gaffe was Hillis. McD gave up on him without a fair shot.

Second I would say Maroney. Why even look in his direction? Where is he by the way? :mad:

Unfortunately I would say the 3rd is D. Thomas. This kid can't stay healthy. And McD took him over Dez Bryant. :tsk:

Jay I understand. He couldn't fix the relationship after he broke it.
BMarsh I understand. I don't miss him.
Scheff I understand. I don't miss him.
A. Smith. Who would have known he would come out of his shell.

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
its a lost case bud...i like those moves, but the damage has been done, people will not let MCD get out of the damage he did.....

Also TNED we have a 6th rd pick fron New England as well...we traded our 4th rd pick for maroney and a 6th rd pick from new england

if you want a draft order update here ya go....
http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2011.php

Thanks. Either the Wiki page didn't list that, or I missed it. That's a little better.

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:26 AM

I would say that the biggest personnel gaffe was Hillis. McD gave up on him without a fair shot.

Second I would say Maroney. Why even look in his direction? Where is he by the way? :mad:

Unfortunately I would say the 3rd is D. Thomas. This kid can't stay healthy. And McD took him over Dez Bryant. :tsk:

It's the head coaches job first NOT to break his relationship with his QB, it's the number one relationship to mantain. If you do damage it, then it's the HC's job to fix it.

Jay may have acted like a drunken, immatured punk, but it is STILL a VERY bad reflection of McDaniels management and people skills that he couldn't suck up the ego and fix it. Failing that, he should have told Jay, "bud, you got three years left on your contract. We aren't trading you. So, let's figure out how to work this out, or you'll be spending three years on the bench or inactive."

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:38 AM

So, in other words, you think McDaniels has done a very good job with personnel. Correct? If the only move you have issue with is Hillis, and maybe Thomas, then you must think overall the direction he's taken the team is good, and we are just in a rough patch as it all comes together.

No trap here, I think it's one way to look at it.

Personally, once you take the position that trading Cutler made sense, then it's hard to call the Quinn/Hillis trade bad. Based on what Orton showed, the Broncos needed a good option to compete with him in training camp.

Dirk
12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
So, in other words, you think McDaniels has done a very good job with personnel. Correct? If the only move you have issue with is Hillis, and maybe Thomas, then you must think overall the direction he's taken the team is good, and we are just in a rough patch as it all comes together.

No trap here, I think it's one way to look at it.

Personally, once you take the position that trading Cutler made sense, then it's hard to call the Quinn/Hillis trade bad. Based on what Orton showed, the Broncos needed a good option to compete with him in training camp.

Yeah, I'm looking at it in a positive light. I hate losing just as much as the next Broncos fan. I get upset and it ruins my whole day.

But what happened with Jay happened, and there is no way to take that back now. I chaulk that up to 2 immature people not knowing how to come together. Period. And I fault McD for it and not Jay. But that being said, after the whole trying to get Cassel fell through, McD and Jay had a fence that was broken and they couldn't mend it. So in order to get some form of continuity back, he HAD to trade him. It wasn't going to work after that. So I don't consider that a bad personel decision, I consider that to be something he HAD to do because he knew they would never be able to work together. He messed up when he tried to get Cassel but did what he had to do when the two of them couldn't patch it up. Not to mention Jay not even calling Bowlen back.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-06-2010, 09:01 AM

I find it hard to hate on Thomas, especially for Dez Bryant when Bryant has had just as many injuries as Thomas since the beginning of the year. Thomas started off recovering from a broken foot. Dez pulled a hammy in TC. Bryant now has a broken ankle. The only reason Bryant looks like a decent pick this season is because he's done well returning punts for Dallas (and because he plays in Dallas so everything he does makes the highlight reel). He's had one great game as a Cowboy with Kitna throwing him the ball (Romo almost never looked his way). Thomas looked really good when he was getting targets and I think he has a much higher upside as a WR.

Dez looks a little more NFL ready to start with, but I love what I've seen with DT. I think it's a wash thusfar in their rookie seasons. The future will tell. I don't think DT would have half the injuries if McDaniels didn't have him out there returning kicks. He's just too big and is a huge target for big hits.

Of the draft picks we look to have hit on I count DT along with Walton, Beadles, Knowshon and maybe Ayers if he wasn't so inconsistent and could learn to rush the passer a little better. Cox and Squid look to be okay, also. A lot of folks think McBath is great and he's somehow earned a big cult following around here, but the guy is the most injured Bronco on the roster. Tebow might turn out to be a great pickup if he ever gets the chance even though a lot of guys don't think so. He's a winner and I think he's a better passer than people give him credit for.

Draft picks like Smith and Quinn have been awful for us, but it's not so much that they were drafted but how and what we had to give up for them. One of the few things I don't hate on Mcdaniels for is his drafting, other than ignoring the D-line. His trades, however, have been a nightmare.

Tned
12-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at it in a positive light. I hate losing just as much as the next Broncos fan. I get upset and it ruins my whole day.

But what happened with Jay happened, and there is no way to take that back now. I chaulk that up to 2 immature people not knowing how to come together. Period. And I fault McD for it and not Jay. But that being said, after the whole trying to get Cassel fell through, McD and Jay had a fence that was broken and they couldn't mend it. So in order to get some form of continuity back, he HAD to trade him. It wasn't going to work after that. So I don't consider that a bad personel decision, I consider that to be something he HAD to do because he knew they would never be able to work together. He messed up when he tried to get Cassel but did what he had to do when the two of them couldn't patch it up. Not to mention Jay not even calling Bowlen back.

I disagree on the "couldn't" fix it. His job was to fix it. But, I understand what you're saying. It's a reasonable view of things.

Dreadnought
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Pretty much nobody. I was a blind optimist Homer if ever there was one prior to this chump taking the reins. To be sure, I thought Bates and Slowick weren't much good at their jobs after seeing them try to perform them. I was never a Plummer fan, but "Good Jake" could often sway me, I never liked Nate Webster, Travis Henry, and the '08 Safeties. I got impatient with George Foster's holds and false starts. There was a safety on the 2000 team named Billy Jenkins we signed as a FA who only seemed to hit guys hard after the whistle or out of bounds, and I certainly had no use for that turdburglar Kennison. Never anything like McDaniels though; he has broken new ground. I'll hate what he did to this team til the day they bury me.

Plus, I've noted that many (not all) of the complaints about "haters" have come from guys who "hated" on Cutler, Shanahan, you name it. Seems to me that complaints of "negativity" and "hate" are pretty selective in that case, as in, they are less a matter of actual complaints about negativity and hate and more perhaps about pouting after being now proved wrong by events.

Tned
12-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Plus, I've noted that many (not all) of the complaints about "haters" have come from guys who "hated" on Cutler, Shanahan, you name it. Seems to me that complaints of "negativity" and "hate" are pretty selective in that case, as in, they are less a matter of actual complaints about negativity and hate and more perhaps about pouting after being now proved wrong by events.

Now, this may be the point of the year.

Dreadnought
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
PS - benching Scheffler and Marshall before last season's finale was worse than idiotic. It was childish. Even if your plan is to move those guys after the season, even if you didn't plan to use them in the KC game plan much, why in the World would you risk potentially downgrading their marketability but making a public spectacle of benching them and then publicly badmouthing them? Good leaders do not bad mouth subordinates in public anyways, but this move compounded that error by hurting the Broncos future prospects on top of displaying his own vindictive immaturity.

Dirk
12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree that you don't air dirty laundry in the open.

However, I can understand why he benched BMarsh and Scheff. If you have someone in your organization who is disrupting things and not giving their all, why play them? You have to show the rest of the team that it is a TEAM and not one person is above the team. It shows the rest of the players that he expects them to put in 100%.

I'm not making excuses for McD at all, I'm just saying that if I had someone on my team that isn't contributing 100% or making waves, I am not playing them. Even if I lose. It's not fair to those that put in the effort.

Dreadnought
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree that you don't air dirty laundry in the open.

However, I can understand why he benched BMarsh and Scheff. If you have someone in your organization who is disrupting things and not giving their all, why play them? You have to show the rest of the team that it is a TEAM and not one person is above the team. It shows the rest of the players that he expects them to put in 100%.

I'm not making excuses for McD at all, I'm just saying that if I had someone on my team that isn't contributing 100% or making waves, I am not playing them. Even if I lose. It's not fair to those that put in the effort.

Of course, one of the side effects of McDaniels building a rep for slipperiness, self serving, and willingness to say things that aren't so is that many fans, including me, now simply discount his version of past and current events as being very unlikely to be true. In other words, I don't believe those guys were being "disruptive." I can certainly understand them being unhappy, but I think the benching had more to do with them being Shanahan guys and McDaniels looking to make up an excuse to humiliate them

eessydo
12-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Kevin Vickerson: Nothing special

Joe Mays: jury is still out

O-line pups: Just depth at best, not like they are lighting it up allowing 33 sacks this year. Yeah.....real freaking awesome

Knoshown Moreno: Has yet to break 1000 yards in a season AND has trouble staying on the field. Not sure why everyone is so excited about that?? Knowshon, more like "no show". In fact that is my pet name for him, "NoShow Moreno". I live in Georgia, and never found him all that spectacular in the SEC, let alone the NFL.

Value for Marshall: Remains to be seen, his track record would indicated he was going to eff that up too.

Value for Cutler: see Alphonso Smith....Are you serious? Kyle Orton is average at best.

Brandon Lloyd: Maybe, but let's see if he can get it done two years in a row. History would indicate a resounding NO.

Darcell McBath: 5 games played in 2010

Perrish Cox: Only Bronco who was getting beat more than McDaniels

Sydquan Thompson: Looked promising.......fizzled out, sort of like Josh McDaniels

Jason Hunter: I am not sure how Green Bay and Detroit Cast offs playing first string on a horrible defense keep coming up as "highlights" of his personnel prowess????

Dumervil: I will give you this one, you can't predict injuries to steady proven players.

Decker, Tebow and Thomas: Potential doesn't win football games so at the end of the day it has ZERO value. Wait a second I am completely wrong here it has value:

1 22 Demaryius Thomas 5 Yrs $19.35M $9.9M
1 25 Tim Tebow 5 Yrs $18.3M $8.6M
3 87 Eric Decker 4 Yrs $3.388M $780,000

A lot of money to pay for "potential". I am pretty sure that he could have had that second number one pick in the second round or possibly the third. Not only that but he drafted Demaryius Thomas because he reminded him of "Brandon Marshall". WTF? Why not just keep Brandon Marshall if you liked him that much??

The list of retarded moves goes on and on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Vickerson?
Joe Mays?
Knoshown Moreno?
Robert Ayers?
Darcell Mcbath?
Jason Hunter?

Juriga72
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Bad personal moves by McHoodie

#1- wake up
#2-get out of bed
#3- go to work
It was downhill after that

frauschieze
12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Of course, one of the side effects of McDaniels building a rep for slipperiness, self serving, and willingness to say things that aren't so is that many fans, including me, now simply discount his version of past and current events as being very unlikely to be true. In other words, I don't believe those guys were being "disruptive." I can certainly understand them being unhappy, but I think the benching had more to do with them being Shanahan guys and McDaniels looking to make up an excuse to humiliate them

My personal opinion is that they were made an example. It will be exactly my way and you will not say one word out of line or you're done. And the fact that they were Cutler's buddies who openly supported him. Tensions were high all season with those three. It was, IMHO, nothing more than an overkill show of force, necessary because of the extreme lengths he went to to be players' friend. Here I'm thinking of the video of McD and Marshall where Marshall puts his arm around McD and says there's no issues with "me and coach".

McD swung the pendulum constantly and that week, he thought he was losing control and was being too nice, so it was time to pull out the authoritarian. Who better to take it out on than the drama queen WR and the outspoken TE who expressed mild frustration? It's only icing on the cake that they were great friends with the "malcontent" QB he shipped off earlier.

Occam's Razor and all. I don't think the Shanahan's guys conspiracy is needed at all to explain that idiocy.

Even if Marsh and Scheff deserved the benching, make up a minor injury rather than say it's because they're malcontents. Don't hurt their trade value; that only hurts the team left behind - another poor personnel move.