PDA

View Full Version : Cutler - Ready for takeoff!

hamrob
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I didn't see this posted yet. It's a nice article about Jay and what to expect this year from him and our Broncos.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8483122/Cutler-has-diabetes,-expectations-under-control

If you are looking for a player to take a gigantic jump this season, look no further than Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

When you chronicle Cutler's last 365 days, you understand why he is ready to put up Pro Bowl numbers and carry the flawed Broncos into the playoffs.

While dealing with personal adversity, he's also asserted himself as the leader of the Broncos going into his third season.

Plus, the gunslinger with the Sandy Koufax fastball has added Greg Maddux-like accuracy to his game during training camp and the preseason games.

The AFC better be on notice.

Let's first examine his health.

Last year was scary for Cutler.

Here's a well-conditioned professional quarterback who was dropping pounds at an alarming rate. It wasn't until the 2007 season was in the books that he received a diagnosis.

"When I first found out, I was relieved, Cutler explained. "I was wondering what was wrong with me for 5-6 months, trying to figure out what was wrong with me as I was losing weight. Thankfully it is treatable and we can move on. Everything went through my mind. I was dead-tired before games, so tired I didn't even feel like playing. That's odd. I love football. I love my job. I was just so worn down."

He's talked to Wade Wilson, who played quarterback with the same condition. Cutler's studied other professional athletes who have played at a high level with diabetes. He is convinced, and the Broncos are convinced, that it won't be an issue.

This past offseason was also interesting for Cutler in his growth as the team leader. He had to deal with his top receiver — the supremely talented Brandon Marshall — once again getting into trouble off the field. Marshall cut his hand when it went through a television screen. I was one of the media members he lied to, saying he slipped on a McDonald's wrapper (whatever that means). And he lied initially to his teammates and coaching staff. He would need surgery and miss the offseason program and valuable time to work with Cutler. This was hurting the ball club.

Cutler and the Broncos simply had enough. The team had already parted ways with Travis Henry and Javon Walker, who didn't follow along with Mike Shanahan's plan.

Cutler stepped forward and challenged Marshall to be more responsible. Cutler's response drew raves in the locker room, ranging from future Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey to future Hall of Fame coach Mike Shanahan.

"I talked to Brandon before the news conference took place," Cutler said. "I told him everything that I was going to say. I told him exactly how I felt and how the team perceived the entire situation. You only get so many chances in this league and Brandon was running out of them. It was time for him to step up and help the team, help himself and be a professional. And he understood that. It was something that had to be done. It wasn't OK. He was hurting the team and he understood that."

Marshall took the comments to heart, and hasn't acted out since Cutler spoke publicly.

"Brandon Marshall is my No. 1 guy," Cutler added. "I believe in him. I support him. I am doing everything possible to help him along. So is the entire team. Here's the thing people need to understand. Brandon Marshall is not a bad guy. He's been in some bad situations but he's not a bad guy. He understands right and wrong. I think the future is bright for him. The off field issues are a thing of the past for him.

Marshall was suspended two games by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for multiple violations of the league's code of conduct policy.

Even with a player with Pro Bowl potential missing from the lineup in two division games to start the season (Oakland and San Diego), Cutler's super confident.

It starts with his growth in Year 3.

"You just have a better feel for everything," he said. "You have a better feel for the playbook, for your teammates, for coach Shanahan. You have a better feel for defenses. You know where weak points are. You know where to go with the ball. Our offensive line looks great. It's my third year with Brandon Marshall. We have a great rhythm. Eddie Royal has been a great addition. Everything is going really well."

Cutler raved about Royal's knowledge, quickness and hands, and thinks he will step up in Marshall's absence. Royal, who played at Virginia Tech under Frank Beamer, is ahead of the rookie curve and Cutler says he'll be an opening-day starter. Tight end Tony Scheffler is close to 100 percent healthy and will catch more than 60 passes and 10 touchdowns this year. Darrell Jackson was a nice, solid veteran addition for Cutler. And the quarterback couldn't stop gushing about the progress of neophyte left tackle Ryan Clady, saying "I haven't had a left tackle like this guy since I've been here."

Plus, Cutler says it is a blessing to go against Bailey and Dre Bly every day in practice. It only makes him better facing these elite corners.

Cutler gets the message. This is going to be his season. It is something he embraces.

"I know it is out there. It is what the expectations are when you are a first-round quarterback going into your third year," he said. "People want you to be the player they drafted you to be. It's the year you are supposed to come into your own. I hear it but I can't worry about it. I just need to be on top of my game and study and do my job."

Cutler's the best quarterback in Denver since John Elway. He doesn't think too much about the comparisons.

"I don't. When I first got here I did," he said. "It was all you heard about. It's settled down a bit. You hear about it every once in a while. But it isn't something I concern myself with."

You never want to go bonkers in the preseason, but on the heels of all the above, Cutler led the Broncos to points on six of his 10 drives this August. He tossed three touchdowns and ran one inhimself, didn't throw a pick and started the Dallas preseason game 12-for-12.

He's been tested physically and mentally.

Jay Cutler's now ready for takeoff.

Tebow4Ever
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice Read..Cutler is going to the Pro Bowl this year...Mark my words.

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Cutler has an incredible amount of pressure to perform this year. First is the fact that expecting the defensive side of the ball to bail us out is pretty much a lost cause. Then factor in the third year, where he was drafted, and that everyone thinks he's going to perform well and it puts a lot of pressure on him. I don't doubt he'll rise to the occasion, but if he does it will have been harder than other QB's who have had breakout seasons.

hamrob
08-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree that Cutler is going to have a ton of pressure on his shoulders. That translates to more pressure on Shanahan to manage the gameplan effectively. Jay, not unlike other top-notch signal callers, can get out of sinc quickly if defenses come after them. Shanny needs to ensure Cutler is comfortable with the game plans and only takes what the defenses are willing to give him.

Let's face it. Nobody is going to be afraid of our running game. We may be pesky...but most teams are going to gameplan to take our passing game away. Marshall is going to face double teams all year and Jay is going to have to use his 2nd and 3rd option more and more in order to manage the game effectively.

This is now a pass first, run 2nd offense. Not just because of Jay, but also because our RB's are not elite players and our line is inexperienced. It's much easier for guys like Harris, Kuper and Clady to pass protect then it is to open up holes in the running game.

omac
08-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Cutler has an incredible amount of pressure to perform this year. First is the fact that expecting the defensive side of the ball to bail us out is pretty much a lost cause. Then factor in the third year, where he was drafted, and that everyone thinks he's going to perform well and it puts a lot of pressure on him. I don't doubt he'll rise to the occasion, but if he does it will have been harder than other QB's who have had breakout seasons.

Derek Anderson had it the easiest; after the Charlie Frye debacle, they were just looking for a QB that could play decent.

Aaron Rodgers probably has it the toughest, because of the Favre drama.

The problem with Jay is that despite his inexperience, he handles pressure really well. That's probably why people don't look at him as an inexperienced QB; he has some veteran traits beyond his years, despite only playing 21 games. His composure is already pretty similar to Matt Hasselbeck's.

Lonestar
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree that Cutler is going to have a ton of pressure on his shoulders. That translates to more pressure on Shanahan to manage the gameplan effectively. Jay, not unlike other top-notch signal callers, can get out of sinc quickly if defenses come after them. Shanny needs to ensure Cutler is comfortable with the game plans and only takes what the defenses are willing to give him.

Let's face it. Nobody is going to be afraid of our running game. We may be pesky...but most teams are going to gameplan to take our passing game away. Marshall is going to face double teams all year and Jay is going to have to use his 2nd and 3rd option more and more in order to manage the game effectively.

This is now a pass first, run 2nd offense. Not just because of Jay, but also because our RB's are not elite players and our line is inexperienced. It's much easier for guys like Harris, Kuper and Clady to pass protect then it is to open up holes in the running game.

a very good post.. remember outside of Nalen and Hamilton the OLINE has 6-7 starts between them.. and that was at OLG not were he is playing.

Other than Nalen and Hamilton everyone else has at least ONE NEW guy next to him.. that does not bode well for consistency..

By mid season (after the bye) and before the rookie wall they should be hitting on 6 or 8 cylinders..

Lets hope that they get their crap together faster rather than later

hamrob
08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Let's hope so. In all honesty, I think the key to success is going to be the preparation that goes into each game. You have to help those young lineman out...meaning you need to utilyze your TE's both in double TE sets and in the passing game. Cutler needs to make quick reads and get the ball out of there. WR's need to run precision routes and backs need to hit the holes hard. You can't have Cutler dropping back with too many 5-7 step drops when you have a young line. Too many bad things can happen. I also think, you need to PAP alot more and get Cutler out on the boots, so the Lineman don't have to pretect the pocket as much. If they do a good job strategically in the beginning then I think they will be alright....and then (as you mention) in the 2nd half of the season they will be ready to hit it on fully cylanders.

scott.475
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
The author clearly had not been paying attention to all the pundits who say the sky is falling on the Broncos :rolleyes:

Scarface
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Life as a pro quarterback. There's pressure on all of them.

topscribe
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Life as a pro quarterback. There's pressure on all of them.

Yes, and I like Cuter's response to it and his poise.

Cutler talked about it in a presser, and he said simply, "That's why we get paid the big bucks."

-----

WARHORSE
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Cutler is my fantasy QB................and BIEF STUE is my fantasy fantasy.:Dlol.................

I AM..............WARHORSE. And I approve and :salute: this message.