PDA

View Full Version : Kube?

Shazam!
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Kubiak may be done in Houston after their big slide.

Would you be interested in him if he was let go by the Texans?

Jeff Fisher comes to my mind too, but I want to keep this on Kube as he is an ex-Bronco.

He probably wouldn't have replaced Shanahan out of respect, but that's not the case now.

I just cannot stand Josh McDaniels and he has gtg.

Whatya think.

tomjonesrocks
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Am absolutely interested in Kubiak if he's fired. We have long needed defensive help and a defensive-minded coach would be very refreshing, but I don't think we're going to be able to attract a marquee head coach of any kind now that McDaniels has destroyed this franchise.

Of the retreads, I like Kubiak the best because he's a true Bronco. Would expect Elway might get more involved if Kubiak was the HC as well.

Don't think we have a chance in hell at Fisher. Fisher would get better offers than this pile of dogshit of a team.

Mike
12-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't want either of them.

claymore
12-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Kubiak may be done in Houston after their big slide.

Would you be interested in him if he was let go by the Texans?

Jeff Fisher comes to my mind too, but I want to keep this on Kube as he is an ex-Bronco.

He probably wouldn't have replaced Shanahan out of respect, but that's not the case now.

I just cannot stand Josh McDaniels and he has gtg.

Whatya think.
I always wanted Kube to be our next HC. Maybe he got all his lumps out of the way with houston?????

jhildebrand
12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I like Kubiak but not as a HC here. I would be ok if he were an OC for someone. His playcalling has cost Houston at least two games that I saw.

BroncoStud
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
No to Kubiak.

Lancane
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry, but I have to say neither...

If we look at both Fisher's and Kubiak's tenures as head coaches, they are both mediocre at best, especially Fisher. He's had more 8-8 seasons then Shanahan and Reeves combined and less winning seasons then Shanahan.

Hell, I say keep the staff mostly in place, and hire Dan Reeves as the head coach to groom McCoy for the position in a few years.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Not interested in Kubiak. He's just Shanahan lite. We need someone to BUILD THE DEFENSE! I want a winner. Someone who won't ignore one side of the ball at the expense of the other. I'm really wanting Gruden but at this point, I'm really thinking a defensive minded coach is the right choice!

Bring back the CRUSH!

gobroncsnv
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Fisher keeps Finnegan on his team... that alone makes me rule him out. Hate that kind of player, and Fish has done nothing to rein him in.

Jake Klug
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I would love to have Kubiak back in Denver, either as head coach or an OC. I like Houstons offense. Its probably the closest thing to our offense 10 years ago when we used a full back and had great balance. Thats what we need: great balance on offense.

But what Id prefer to do is install DeCosta as a GM and let him pick the DC and address the defense.

BroncoStud
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Fisher keeps Finnegan on his team... that alone makes me rule him out. Hate that kind of player, and Fish has done nothing to rein him in.

Fisher has never impressed me. I'm not sure why he is so respected. 15 years and not a single Super Bowl win... How many other coaches get 15 years to win a Super Bowl?

Foochacho
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Pube?

OrangeHoof
12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
He seems to be a carbon copy of Shanahan - can't coach defense to save his life and he reaches for screwy plays at just the wrong moment. A defensive head coach would be a much better choice.

I like him personally but I watch most Texans games and he's not the fix the Broncos need.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
no to both

TimTebow15MVP
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
NO kubes is a guy id let be my OC though. Hes an below average HC thought. enough with the kubes for HC crap.

Jake Klug
12-05-2010, 06:05 PM
He seems to be a carbon copy of Shanahan - can't coach defense to save his life and he reaches for screwy plays at just the wrong moment. A defensive head coach would be a much better choice.

I like him personally but I watch most Texans games and he's not the fix the Broncos need.

Not really. Kubes took the Houston job while being willing to work for a GM. And since it hasnt gone as well, for him in Houston, he's lost a little leverage in terms of how much control he can expect. All this makes the prospect of bringing in Kubiak a lot different.

Shazam!
12-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Gruden said he's not coaching next year.
Cowher wasn't coming here that's for sure.
Coughlin will stay in NY.
Tuna won't come here as GM.

The list of possible successors with HC experience is very thin.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I really don't have a dog in the show, but I do want a coach/DC who isn't gonna switch back to a 4-3. That'd mean yet another personnel shuffle in the front 7...and as much as we need help on DL, we have to address the secondary. Switching to 4-3 would make a need for more DLinemen and would waste Elvis (if he stays) and Ayers (who is a nice fit at 3-4 OLB).

TimTebow15MVP
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
the 3-4 should be here to stay. mays ayers dooms at 3 of your LB spots is awesome. Use the draft to bolster the DL and Safety spots. we have 4 picks in the first 3 round with a orton trade looming for a 2nd. we can do some damage in this upcoming draft. even though we dont have a 4th and 5th we do have 2 6th and 2 7ths i believe. we should use those later round picks to move up if we want too. or say put and add four more depth players which is needed also.

l

Lancane
12-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Gruden's agent made a comment that gave the impression that he wants to coach in the NFL next year, so I wouldn't count him out.

But Dan Reeves also wants a job, so I say give it to whomever wants it the most...because McDaniels sure the hell doesn't want it.

Poet
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think that Kubiak is very good. His teams always underachieve. They find ways to lose games that they should win. They find ways to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in games that they shouldn't win.

For the past three seasons or so people keep picking the Texans to make noise. They keep finishing middle of the pack and falling short.

If you guys get rid of McDaniels you can do better than Kubiak.

OrangeHoof
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Not really. Kubes took the Houston job while being willing to work for a GM. And since it hasnt gone as well, for him in Houston, he's lost a little leverage in terms of how much control he can expect. All this makes the prospect of bringing in Kubiak a lot different.

It hasn't changed the on-field product. There are two things about Kubiak that really annoys me. First, too often his answer on third down is a pass to a receiver short of the first down and expecting the receiver to get the rest of the difference needed. That's a bad strategy.

Secondly, his teams lack toughness, mental and physical. Teams can push the Texans around and they never fight back. That's on the coaches.

Jake Klug
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
It hasn't changed the on-field product. There are two things about Kubiak that really annoys me. First, too often his answer on third down is a pass to a receiver short of the first down and expecting the receiver to get the rest of the difference needed. That's a bad strategy.

Secondly, his teams lack toughness, mental and physical. Teams can push the Texans around and they never fight back. That's on the coaches.

So, are you a Russ Grimm or Jim Harbaugh guy?

OrangeHoof
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I want a defensive HC but I don't have a particular guy in mind. Otherwise, I want a HC who will hire a "defensive head coach" position so a strong-willed DC can own that part of the team.IMO, a Cowher or Parcells would be perfect but I don't think either one would come here. One of the Ryans would also be a great choice but, again, I don't think they'd come here.

TimTebow15MVP
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
russ grimm is coaching?

gobroncsnv
12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I really don't have a dog in the show, but I do want a coach/DC who isn't gonna switch back to a 4-3. That'd mean yet another personnel shuffle in the front 7...and as much as we need help on DL, we have to address the secondary. Switching to 4-3 would make a need for more DLinemen and would waste Elvis (if he stays) and Ayers (who is a nice fit at 3-4 OLB).

Well, we need more dlinemen anyway. I'm DOG-tired of how "occasional" one our bunch (for 10 years running) makes a great play. So get at least 3 in place, before any discussion of a 4-3.
And I'm all for the continuity of scheme, but MAN, we need to get that core in place. I do think our LB's would look a lot better if they had someone in front of them, especially if Dooms could get back healthy next year.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I would take Fisher in second, but I don't want Kubiak.

Lancane
12-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I would take Fisher in second, but I don't want Kubiak.

Hell no Rav, look at Fisher's record...he's the epitome of mediocrity!

:tsk:

Foochacho
12-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I think Tebow should coach the rest of the year.

JDL
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Hell no Rav, look at Fisher's record...he's the epitome of mediocrity!

:tsk:

Really?

You must be very young and don't remember a lot of the turmoil he's overcome coaching teams that were dead in the water with a fanbase that KNEW they were being betrayed (Houston) and he built a lot of credibility keeping those teams afloat ... their franchise QB was murdered shortly a year after retiring from the league, has played in the same division with a monster of a team in Indy and have always played them well, while we've been annihilated by them time and time again...

as for not winning a Super Bowl? How many years did it take Cowher? sheesh... but I doubt you'd turn your nose at him.

Fisher is a damn good NFL coach and we'd be lucky to have him... particularly when you consider what's available... more unproven or unaccomplished candidates... Fisher wouldn't have to wait very long for an offer if we was released... particularly considering how well he has worked with an owner who has shoved a QB that he clearly doesn't want, down his throat.

dogfish
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
eric decosta - general manager, executive vice-president of football affairs
jon gruden - head coach, vice-president of football affairs
gary kubiak - assistant head coach/offense, quarterbacks coach
rick dennison - offensive coordinator, offensive line coach
adam gase - wide receivers coach
larry kirksey - wide receivers coach
chick harris - running backs coach
brian pariani - tight ends coach

wade philips - assistant head coach defense
don martindale - defensive coordinator, linebackers coach
roman pfifer - linebackers coach
ed donatell - secondary coach
wayne nunnelly - defensive line coach

something to that effect. . . gruden runs a west coast offense (though i'm sure he'd impliment some type of spread hybrid, with wildcat packages for tebow whether he starts or not)-- i'd try to steal houston's entire offense staff if they're let go. . . keep that chemistry from a staff that's been very successful on that side of the ball, with the benefit of bringing home some fan favorites-- as well as an OL coach who's worked with three of our current starters before. . .

and you hedge your bets on defense by keeping the 3-4 and the position coaches to maintain some continuity, while adding a more proven, experienced DC to oversee and handle the bulk of the gameplanning and playcalling. . . he can also evaluate martindale and determine whether he can be a good long term DC or not. . .

obviously, in real life you hire the GM and head coach and let them fill out the staff, but that's an example of the type of FO/coaching staff i'd love to end up with. . . there's no reason you have to fire everybody, change every scheme and three-quarters of the roster just because you make changes at the top. . . it's not uncommon to keep some elements of a previous regime-- and an incoming regime here wouldn't HAVE to burn it all to the ground and start from scratch. . . hell, i think most of us expected mcdaniels to come in and maybe tweak the offense a little while mostly rebuilding that awful defense first, and still wonder what might've happened if he had. . .

one of the reasons that i want gruden is my belief that he'd be willing to work with both orton and tebow, as well as the rest of our offensive pieces, while bringing in an experienced defensive mind to take care of that side of the ball. . . he never had a problem relying on monte kiffin's defense. . .

i do suspect we'll get JMFMCD for another year if he can squeak out a few more wins, we'll see. . .

atwater27
12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
I'd be pleased as punch with Gruden or Fisher.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm going to step out there, and say that I want the OC from the Jets as a great candidate for our next HC.

dogfish
12-06-2010, 03:03 AM
I'm going to step out there, and say that I want the OC from the Jets as a great candidate for our next HC.

that would be brian schottenheimer, marty's kid. . . .

TimTebow15MVP
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
so another young HC who will also face a learning curve.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 03:33 AM
so another young HC who will also face a learning curve.

I don't think we'll see a young coach this go around...not after this. I fully expect Denver to look at long-time proven coaches. Such as Ron Rivers, Marty Schottenheimer and so forth, I don't think we'll see another 'wet-behind-the-ears' candidate unless one of the coordinators is given the position in all fairness.

Jake Klug
12-06-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't think we'll see a young coach this go around...not after this. I fully expect Denver to look at long-time proven coaches. Such as Ron Rivers, Marty Schottenheimer and so forth, I don't think we'll see another 'wet-behind-the-ears' candidate unless one of the coordinators is given the position in all fairness.

Maybe theyll think it could work with a real GM?

Lancane
12-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Maybe theyll think it could work with a real GM?

I've thought about this over and over again...since, well we have nothing better to think about at this time. And I've come to the conclusion that the front office changes and coaching changes will be minor, I believe McDaniels himself will be the lone man thrown under the bus...though he deserves no less. Because I think this has to be handled in a timely fashion, due to a rough time frame and with a possible lockout in the near future.

Joe Ellis - Chief Operations Officer.

John Elway - Vice Executive Officer/Adviser of Operations and Personnel.

Brian Xanders - General Manager

Keith Kidd - Assistant General Manager/Director of Personnel

Ron Rivera - Head Coach

Mike McCoy - Offensive Coordinator

Don Martindale - Defensive Coordinator

John Ramsdell - Assistant Head Coach/Quarterback Coach

or something akin to that, so there is less change, that's just an opinion. I know some will be wondering why I went with Rivera as the head coach and Ramsdell as the assistant head coach/quarterback coach. Simply put, Rivera has worked with Martindale before, the Chargers have the top rated defense in the league, he's been around the sport for a while, Ramsdell is likewise from the Chargers staff and has worked with Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers, both of who are HOF bound in all likely-hood, but it's an example...so no one get their panties in a twist.

Elevation inc
12-06-2010, 06:03 AM
I want Harbaugh from Stanford as a HC if MCd is done, a legit DC and a Legit power GM, oh and Elway back in some form up top...that would make me very happy.

IF MCD stays i want a legit DC, legit power GM who has authority to override MCD, and elway back up top in some form as well...

Dirk
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I would be happy keeping things in tact and taking Josh out of football operations.

He isn't a bad coach from what I see. Yes we are losing but like it or not, we are a rebuilding team. After the implosion (due to Josh) of the the offense, we had to rebuild. You can't rebuild in 2 years. I see a lot of positives along with the negatives. I'm OK with Josh getting one more year. :behindsofa:

If we got a geniuine GM and made McD the HC only, I think things would come around a lot faster. It's too much for the youngster to handle.

If Bowlen doesn't see Shanny's downfall was he had too much control and now Josh has too much control then we are doomed for quite some time.

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM

I hear Ben McDaniels is on the short list...

Tned
12-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I've thought about this over and over again...since, well we have nothing better to think about at this time. And I've come to the conclusion that the front office changes and coaching changes will be minor, I believe McDaniels himself will be the lone man thrown under the bus...though he deserves no less. Because I think this has to be handled in a timely fashion, due to a rough time frame and with a possible lockout in the near future.

Joe Ellis - Chief Operations Officer.

John Elway - Vice Executive Officer/Adviser of Operations and Personnel.

Brian Xanders - General Manager

Keith Kidd - Assistant General Manager/Director of Personnel

Ron Rivera - Head Coach

Mike McCoy - Offensive Coordinator

Don Martindale - Defensive Coordinator

John Ramsdell - Assistant Head Coach/Quarterback Coach

or something akin to that, so there is less change, that's just an opinion. I know some will be wondering why I went with Rivera as the head coach and Ramsdell as the assistant head coach/quarterback coach. Simply put, Rivera has worked with Martindale before, the Chargers have the top rated defense in the league, he's been around the sport for a while, Ramsdell is likewise from the Chargers staff and has worked with Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers, both of who are HOF bound in all likely-hood, but it's an example...so no one get their panties in a twist.

As there any indication that McCoy is ready to be an OC? He's an OC in title, but it is clearly McDaniels' offense. McDaniels calls the plays.

In your scenario, with Rivera as HC, then I can see leaving Martindale in place, but I'm not sure I'm sold on McCoy.

Dirk
12-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I hear Ben McDaniels is on the short list...

I see what you did there.... :lol:

Lancane
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Really?

You must be very young and don't remember a lot of the turmoil he's overcome coaching teams that were dead in the water with a fanbase that KNEW they were being betrayed (Houston) and he built a lot of credibility keeping those teams afloat ... their franchise QB was murdered shortly a year after retiring from the league, has played in the same division with a monster of a team in Indy and have always played them well, while we've been annihilated by them time and time again...

as for not winning a Super Bowl? How many years did it take Cowher? sheesh... but I doubt you'd turn your nose at him.

Fisher is a damn good NFL coach and we'd be lucky to have him... particularly when you consider what's available... more unproven or unaccomplished candidates... Fisher wouldn't have to wait very long for an offer if we was released... particularly considering how well he has worked with an owner who has shoved a QB that he clearly doesn't want, down his throat.

JDL, I am in truth most likely older then you are, this has nothing to do with age...I remember Fisher as the coach of the Oilers. During his seventeen years as the head coach of the Titans/Oilers he's only won the AFC South three times, his team has been .500 or worse eleven times, in that same time frame he's had six losing seasons, hell...he has more 8-8 seasons then Shanahan and Reeves combined. And he's only had six winning seasons...in seventeen years. He is the epitome of mediocrity, doesn't matter what he has to overcome...look at Dungy and Reid before you start throwing that excuse out there.

jhildebrand
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM

:salute:

I have been calling for Brian Schottenheimer all season. I dislike nepotism but in this case I would want Marty as GM with final say as well! That would be my #1 scenario.

Lancane
12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
As there any indication that McCoy is ready to be an OC? He's an OC in title, but it is clearly McDaniels' offense. McDaniels calls the plays.

In your scenario, with Rivera as HC, then I can see leaving Martindale in place, but I'm not sure I'm sold on McCoy.

It was an example Tned, of how Bowlen and company may try and keep most of the coaches and front office staff in place even with a new head coach. I don't know if they'd go with McCoy or look at someone else, but I would not be surprised if the person they hired ran a similar system, so there was less change.

topscribe
12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
A resounding YES!! to Kubiak if he came back as OC. Not excited about
Fisher, though. Maybe not even Gruden. Would love maybe a Cowher type . . .

-----

G_Money
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Kubiak as OC I can wholeheartedly support.

Kubiak as head coach with a good GM? Maybe...if he can get a better DC in here. He started with Fangio down there, then moved on to "Dick" Smith. Neither could get it done, though Smith has less of an excuse as they actually spent picks on decent DL for his D.

Now Kube's got Frank Bush, an Oilers alum who apparently can't run a defense either.

Maybe it's because Kubiak has been on the hot seat the last couple of years or has to play the Colts twice a year, but...

Defensive rankings since Kubiak took over:

Year Points Yards
2010: 22 19
2009: 11 7
2008: 21 8
2007: 17 21
2006: 28 28

That looks too much like us. Okay, it's a little better than us :tsk: but not much.

Not enough.

~G

Lancane
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM

I have been calling for Brian Schottenheimer all season. I dislike nepotism but in this case I would want Marty as GM with final say as well! That would be my #1 scenario.

We can dream right? :lol:

But as I stated in my other post, don't expect them to go out and hire the 'Dream Team' of football, and we're far from the only team that is more then likely to hire a new head coach.

girler
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm sorry, but WTH did you just say??? No one named Marty can ever come coach this team, that's just WRONG. Holy Hell, I'm going to have nightmares! :tsk:

eric decosta - general manager, executive vice-president of football affairs
jon gruden - head coach, vice-president of football affairs
gary kubiak - assistant head coach/offense, quarterbacks coach
rick dennison - offensive coordinator, offensive line coach
adam gase - wide receivers coach
larry kirksey - wide receivers coach
chick harris - running backs coach
brian pariani - tight ends coach

wade philips - assistant head coach defense
don martindale - defensive coordinator, linebackers coach
roman pfifer - linebackers coach
ed donatell - secondary coach
wayne nunnelly - defensive line coach

Now dog, THIS list is something I could live with! That marty thing though... I'd have to slit my wrists...

topscribe
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry, but WTH did you just say??? No one named Marty can ever come coach this team, that's just WRONG. Holy Hell, I'm going to have nightmares! :tsk:

Now dog, THIS list is something I could live with! That marty thing though... I'd have to slit my wrists...

ROTF!! I have to agree, but you caught my funny bone! :lol:

-----

Shazam!
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Fisher

Kubiak

Gruden

I want someone with HC experience. Not an assistant.

Dzone
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Kubiak has been a failure as a head coach. WTF would we want him for?