PDA

View Full Version : Broncos preview: Struggling to get back to winning ways

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
The Broncos suffered through only their sixth losing season in the last 35 years and their first since 1999 last year, but may have to get used to it because this looks like a team that's unraveling.

Denver believes much of its trouble last year resulted from quarterback Jay Cutler fading badly as a result of a undiagnosed problem with type 1 diabetes. That's now under strict medical control and the belief is he'll bounce back from a mediocre year in which he completed 64 percent of his throws for 3,497 yards and 20 touchdowns but with 14 interceptions and had an apparent obsession with throwing the ball to Brandon Marshall (102 receptions for 1,325 yards in an offense where no one else caught as many as 50 passes). Hopefully he'll be fine but he wasn't the only problem or the biggest one.

The offensive line got old and slipped noticeably last year. Coach Mike Shanahan has rebuilt the left side by installing No. 1 pick Ryan Clady at left tackle and putting Ben Hamilton at left guard. But one is untested and the other has a history of serious problems with concussions, so who knows how that will work out? Shanahan also signed veteran center Casey Wiegmann as insurance only to find he had to start him ahead of fast-fading Tom Nalen. Nalen, once a perennial Pro Bowl selection, is battling a bad knee and another 37-year-old for his job. That's not progress.

Defensively, the Broncos were 30th in the league against the run. They hope to improve that with the addition of Dewayne Robertson at defensive tackle but he has a chronic knee problem that acted up in training camp and that doesn't bode well. Neither does the fact it appears journeyman Nate Webster beat out Niko Kiutouvides for the middle linebacker slot.
On the hot seat

Matt Prater replaces 15-year veteran place kicker Jason Elam, who left for Atlanta. Elam was a staple of Bronco football. At 38, he connected on 27 of 31 field goals in 2007. The first time Prater misses, someone will mutter "Elam would have made it."
Difference-maker

Elvis Dumervil is one of the smallest pass rushers in football at 5-foot-11, but he comes up big. Dumervil led the Broncos with 12½ sacks a year ago and is athletic enough to prove that was not a fluke.
Hard road to hoe

Denver has a three-game stretch in October that will test its mettle. They play host to Tampa Bay and Jacksonville on back-to-back Sundays Oct. 5 and 12 and then must travel to New England to face the Patriots.
Broncos will be better than you think if ...

Newly acquired DT Dewayne Robertson reacts well to returning to his natural position in the 4-3 after struggling to play nose tackle the past few years with the Jets.
Broncos will be worse than you think if ...

The new faces on the left side of their offensive line, especially No. 1 pick Ryan Clady at left tackle, don't mesh quickly.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d80a4591c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2008, 11:45 PM
2008 forecast

Vic Carucci: Now that Jay Cutler has his diabetes under control, the Broncos' quarterback should have the strength and stamina to carry him for an entire season. Still, it's hard to say if that is enough to make the Broncos a playoff team. Prediction: 7-9

Thomas George: Jay Cutler passes for big yards and a few scores. That alone will not make the Broncos a division or postseason factor. Prediction: 9-7

Pat Kirwan: Denver struggles to stop the run in a division that is committed to the run, and that always spells trouble. Jay Cutler continues to grow as a quarterback, but Brandon Marshall needs to stay away from the off-field issues that have plagued his young career. Prediction: 8-8

Gil Brandt: Broncos QB Jay Cutler needs to have a big year, but it's even more important for the run defense to make some plays. They allowed 4.6 yards per carry in 2007. Most of their tough non-division games are at home. Prediction: 6-10

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't mesh quickly? Clady and the OLine have been amazing thus far. I predict 9-7 but the Oline isn't the problem. 6-10 is stupid Gil Brandt needs to be slapped. Shanny very well may will this team to 8-8 on his own.

ApaOps5
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Also a history of serious concussions. Was it just me or did Hamilton have one concussion that lingered but nothing before than that could be deemed serious. Thats why I hate national media they make assumptions more than educated analysis.

slim
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
10-6.

This is a good team...I don't care what Gil or anyone else says.

Magnificent Seven
08-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't worry, Broncos Fans!

We know Broncos very well than NFL Analysts. They didn't pay attention on Broncos all the time. Let them be..... Broncos will surprise them and shut their motor-mouths!

Timmy!
08-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I friggin love it. Let the national media run their mouths and look like idiots.

Dreadnought
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Third rate analysis. Very weak stuff here.

...a mediocre year in which he completed 64 percent of his throws for 3,497 yards and 20 touchdowns but with 14 interceptions and had an apparent obsession with throwing the ball to Brandon Marshall

What a stupid and shallow comment. Do they even follow this sport?

Timmy!
08-28-2008, 12:20 AM

Ya. 5th rated passer=mediocre. :rolleyes:

broncobryce
08-28-2008, 12:22 AM
"Denver believes much of its trouble last year resulted from quarterback Jay Cutler fading badly as a result of a undiagnosed problem with type 1 diabetes."
Right. The run defense and tons of injuries had nothing to do with it. Morons

Timmy!
08-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Seriously. I need to make up some fake credentials and start writing for a career or something. I can name 20+ people on this board alone who could give a better analysis of the Broncos, and given 2 hours research, any other team, than half of the "experts" garbage I have read recently. IDIOTS.

Magnificent Seven
08-28-2008, 12:34 AM
don't Worry, Broncos Fans!

We Know Broncos Very Well Than Nfl Analysts. They Didn't Pay Attention On Broncos All The Time. Let Them Be..... Broncos Will Surprise Them And Shut Their Motor-mouths!

We Believe In Broncos! Period!

Dreadnought
08-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Seriously. I need to make up some fake credentials and start writing for a career or something. I can name 20+ people on this board alone who could give a better analysis of the Broncos, and given 2 hours research, any other team, than half of the "experts" garbage I have read recently. IDIOTS.

One of my favorite stories of all time, from an old friend of my Dad back in the late 60's, who I'll call JP. JP worked a crappy journalism job, and dreamed of being a bigtime sportswriter. He got the call from the Rochester Democrat & Chronical that they needed hm to cover a Bills game for the regular beat writer.

JP says he was nervous as Hell, and intimidated bigtime to be up in the press box with all these big name sportswriters. He was surprised to see a number of them half in the bag before kickoff. As the first quarter gets played he notes that many of the writers aren't watching the game; they are being plyed with free drinks from the Bills organization, served by pretty girls, whoses asses they are busy pinching. End of the first quarter Bills press people hand out summaries of the game. Same after halftime, third Quarter, and at the end of the game, when Bills people hand out final summaries, complete with canned quotes and analysis. Many of the writers were thoroughlty tanked by then. It was a great system for everyone; the Bills maintained complete "message control", and the press guys didn't have to do any work. I've never had that much respect for sportswriters since then, though I'm sure there's a few that do their jobs nowadays due to competition.

Stargazer
08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
This crappy article and the other crappy article recently posted were written by the same guy. Ron Borges.

Here's his wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Borges

Tned
08-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Coach Mike Shanahan has rebuilt the left side by installing No. 1 pick Ryan Clady at left tackle and putting Ben Hamilton at left guard.

Putting Hamilton at left guard. This guy gives the impression that LG is a new position for Hamilton. It has been his position since he became a starter, years ago.

I guess this is what happens when writers do an analysis of a team without knowing the team they are covering.

Thnikkaman
08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Considering any major news outlet on the left or right coast could care less about the potential of a scrappy team in the rocky mountains, I will enjoy it in 8 or 9 weeks when these writers are eating their words.

Dreadnought
08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
This crappy article and the other crappy article recently posted were written by the same guy. Ron Borges.

Here's his wiki:

Aha - thanks for pointing that out, it all makes sense now. Borges defines hackery, laziness, and incompetence in sportswriting. Maybe he just plagiarized the piece from a Chargers board :D

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM

The guy is a hater. That reads like he's pissed Marshall caught a lot of balls. I suppose Brady has a similar obsession with Randy Moss. Remember that NFL network is based out of San Diego and this guy is probably a Charger fan.

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok here's the bill on this turd. He's a first class loser.

Borges' hostile opinions have frequently earned him criticism. He has severely criticized Bill Belichick; some media figures, including Bill Simmons, have asserted that this is because Borges relied on former quarterback Drew Bledsoe, benched and traded by Belichick, as his primary source of Patriots information. Borges also wrote a controversial column asserting that Lance Armstrong is not an athlete.

Thanks for nothing, chode.

Inkana7
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
What a great move by Shanny to move Hamilton to LG.

I hate uninformed writers.