PDA

View Full Version : AFC West preview: Can any team challenge Chargers' supremacy?

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
The San Diego Chargers are one of the three top teams in the AFC and they have the good fortune of playing in the worst division. There is no reason to assume anyone in the West will challenge their supremacy and there may not even be another team in the division that has a .500 record.

Denver is going in the wrong direction, the Chiefs are already moving in a rebuilding direction and the Raiders continue to seem direction challenged. That should make this a one-team race barring a spate of dreadful injuries. Frankly, even that might not be enough to make this division competitive.

Kansas City is hoping to become a power team but is trying to do it with young offensive talent that is still in the developmental stage. Denver's offensive line is aging and its defensive line is weak and those are the staples of most winning teams. As for the Raiders, they're 15-49 the past four years for a reason -- a talent drought that has yet to end.

Then there are the Chargers, who along with the Patriots and Colts, are the elite of the AFC. San Diego has an explosive offense, a powerful running game and a defense that is tenacious and turnover producing. Right there, you've got more than enough to beat back their three divisional opponents.
Team on the rise

Oakland. The Raiders drafted quarterback JaMarcus Russell No. 1 last year and running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick this year, so they have two playmakers in place and in the lineup. Now all they need is to fill all the holes that surround them.
Team in transition

Kansas City is trying to retool its offense away from last year's elaborate motion attack and into a power running game that will be physical and limit turnovers. They'll be trying to do it with new starters in four of the five offensive line positions, which is transition to some, turmoil to others.
Coach in the spotlight

Lane Kiffin. If you work for Al Davis and you don't win you're in the spotlight.
Star on the rise

Selvin Young rushed for 729 yards last year in Denver, piling up 578 on only 116 carries in his eight starts. Mike Shanahan is reluctant to give him the ball full time because of his lack of size but he's the best Shanahan's got and he makes plays.
Impact rookie

Glenn Dorsey better make an impact in the middle of the Chiefs' defensive line. That's why they drafted the 320-pound LSU All-American with the fifth pick. He has size, strength and the right disposition to be an anchor in the midst of a rebuilding defense that had no Pro Bowlers on that side of the ball between 1999 and 2006. Jared Allen changed that last season but he's been traded to Minnesota.
Count on it

LaDainian Tomlinson will have another huge season after stewing all winter and spring over comments that questioned his toughness when he sat on the bench in uniform during the AFC Championship Game against the Patriots but did not play because of an injured knee.
Don't be surprised if

Larry Johnson bounces back this year in Kansas City after missing eight games last season with a broken foot. It's healed and the emphasis will be on him.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=A1188B3B16A07EB2BD6170E48DB7AAFB? id=09000d5d80a45862&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dreadnought
08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh Look - another writer without any actual knowledge of the Broncos. How ever shall we win any games with our "aging" offensive line. Here's a hint...the old guys have already been replaced save at Center. And "going in the wrong direction?" Dunce. This one sure looks mailed in to me.

frauschieze
08-28-2008, 12:26 AM
My first thought: What hack wrote this crap?

My second thought: I will never get this time back. :tsk:

broncobryce
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM
"The Raiders drafted quarterback JaMarcus Russell No. 1 last year and running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick this year, so they have two playmakers in place and in the lineup."

Jamarcus is a playmaker? So far he looks more like a turnover maker.

Magnificent Seven
08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
"The Raiders drafted quarterback JaMarcus Russell No. 1 last year and running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick this year, so they have two playmakers in place and in the lineup."

Jamarcus is a playmaker? So far he looks more like a turnover maker.

AL Davis seems like to get a bunch of turnover/trouble makers.

Magnificent Seven
08-28-2008, 12:39 AM
AL Davis seems like to get a bunch of turnover/trouble makers.

I agreed with this former Raiders' coach once. Bill Callahan said to the Raiders Nation, "WE ARE AMERICA'S DUMBEST TEAM" :salute:

omac
08-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Oh Look - another writer without any actual knowledge of the Broncos. How ever shall we win any games with our "aging" offensive line. Here's a hint...the old guys have already been replaced save at Center. And "going in the wrong direction?" Dunce. This one sure looks mailed in to me.

Sheesh, this writer gets paid to write this, the least he could do is minimal research. The Broncos have an infusion of young talent to go with some veterans to supply some stability. Sounds like the right way to go.

Contrast that with KC, who've decided to go with the all-youth movement. Yeah, they'll get a lot of experience ... losing. Once those guys get used to a losing mentality, it will be tough to fight it. That's probably why the Dolphins under Parcels is mixing in some veterans with his young talent.

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Even our depth on our line is young outside of Nalen/Wiegman. What a moron.

hamrob
08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I love it. All this means is that we'll be the underdog in 90% of our games. Most of the national media have us finishing somewhere between 6-10 & 8-8. This just means less pressure to go out and perform.

I can see us finishing 10-6 or 11-5 just by playing sound football. I think the run defense will be improved and Cutler will make strides year over year. That alone will get us into wildcard contention (IMO).

If our running game can get back on track. That's a big if (IMO). But, if Young, Hall etc. can average close to 5yds a carry as Shanny keeps harping on...and we can generate a better pass rush on defense...I could see us really surprising all our critics!

Kaylore
08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Articles like this make me want to see all three teams beat the crap out of the Chargers.

DenverBronkHoes
08-29-2008, 12:46 AM
My first thought: What hack wrote this crap?

My second thought: I will never get this time back. :tsk:

hack.... nice