PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshal is making his own name

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Is anyone else impressed with this guy? His blocking is brutal. He just flat out killed a guy last week. Marshal is an athlete and keeps getting better week by week. I'm also very impressed on what he can do after the catch unlike lelie you would barley touch the guy and he would fall down. I think BMarsh sees red after the catch and only wants the endzone...I can see him getting around 10 TDs this year.

Anyhow,

This is a good article.

Brandon Marshall was sitting in front of his locker at the Broncos’ practice facility in Dove Valley last week when I asked him how he likes his nickname.
"Baby T.O.?" he said, smiling. "It’s OK. He’s a great athlete and he’s one of the best receivers to ever play the game, so if that’s what they want to call me, they can call me that, but I’m definitely going to make my own name in this NFL, starting this Sunday."

That sounded like a prediction, so I asked if he was ready to go all Chad Johnson and be more specific.

"I can’t say nothing like that yet," he said. "Maybe next year."

I thanked him and turned to walk away. He called after me. "Absolutely next year," he said, grinning again.

Maybe sooner.

After two heart-stopping finishes in as many weeks, there are plenty of questions about the 2-0 Broncos, but if you’re looking for the bright side, you have to go back to Shannon Sharpe, Eddie Mac and Rod Smith to find a receiving corps as dangerous as the emerging trio of Marshall, Javon Walker and Brandon Stokley.

Walker is the No. 1, Stokley the clutch third-down option. But Marshall, at 6-foot-4, 230 pounds and just 23 years old, may be the scariest of the three.

"We’ve got some big receivers here that can make plays down the field, and I think you saw that the last two weeks," Stokley said Sunday after the big three combined for 16 catches, 226 yards and a touchdown.

It could have been more. Marshall had a third-quarter touchdown called back on a debatable offensive pass interference penalty without which the Broncos would have gone up 24-3 and had a much less stressful afternoon. As it was, Jason Elam missed a 45-yard field-goal attempt and things went downhill in a hurry after that.

Once again, if yards were points, coach Mike Shanahan might have an extra year of life span coming. After dominating Buffalo 470 yards to 184 and barely escaping with a last-second field goal, they gained 441 yards to the Raiders’ 253 and needed overtime to escape with the win.

Clearly, the Broncos would have an easier time converting centigrade to Fahrenheit than yards to points. But these close calls should not obscure the fact that 911 yards of offense in two games is pretty good.

The running game is in better hands than a year ago, but the Broncos being able to run the ball is no surprise.

The surprise is the explosiveness of a passing game that last year was down to a single dangerous receiver.

In overtime, after they escaped Sebastian Janikowski’s second attempt at a 52-yard game winner, the Broncos had a second-and-11 at the Raiders 28. Already within Elam’s range, a pass seemed an unnecessary risk. But let Marshall tell it:

"We knew they were flowing, they thought we were going to run the clock down and get it closer to the end zone so it was a chip shot. But, you know, coach Shanahan’s a genius, saw the linebackers and the D-line flowing, and we just came out, kept the ball and threw it to me and I turned upfield."

Kissing up to the coach is no longer necessary for Marshall, though he may still be trying to compensate for Shanahan’s irritation when a strained quad kept him out of much of training camp.

But Marshall grabbed Jay Cutler’s toss and barreled to the Raiders 6, taking all the drama out of Elam’s final kick.

"He was kind of the last option there," Cutler said. "Brandon busts his butt throughout the progression. He wants the ball in those situations. He was No. 3 on the list, and Nos. 1 and 2 were covered up, so we went to him and he broke another tackle like he always does. He put us in a position to win the game."

I asked Marshall if there’s a defensive back in the league that can bring him down one-on-one.

"Oh, absolutely not," he said. "I pride myself off of catching the ball and turning upfield. Y’all are going to see this all year. That’s what I do. I catch the ball and I turn upfield and I’m going to make the first guy miss.

"Two or three of them might get me down, but that first guy’s definitely going to be on the ground or he’s definitely going to be somewhere on the sideline."

This kid may not wait until next year to go all Chad Johnson on us. It’s definitely in him.

Barely beating two mediocre teams does not tell us much about just how good these Broncos are. By the bye week, after they’ve played the Colts and Chargers, we’ll have a much better idea.

What we know already is they can put on a show. And Baby T.O. could well turn into the biggest showman of them all.

BroncoWave
09-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Great article. The man is a BEAST. What a steal he was in the draft!

dogfish
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
damn it, i freakin' HATE that stupid nickname. . . . :mad:

love watchin' the kid play, though-- he's got potential to be pretty special. . .

:werd:

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
damn it, i freakin' HATE that stupid nickname. . . . :mad:

love watchin' the kid play, though-- he's got potential to be pretty special. . .

:werd:

this is what i got out of marshals reaction to the baby TO question, "I’m definitely going to make my own name in this NFL, starting this Sunday"

so by that i get that he wants to erase that nickname and have a name for himself.

broncosfanscott
09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Great article. The man is a BEAST. What a steal he was in the draft!

What a steal is right. Marshall is great after the catch at getting those extra yards and is going to be quite a reciever in this league.

Walker, Marhall, and Stokley.......nice trio! :D

Nice article BenBronx, thanks.

Slick
09-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I loved the way Cutler ran up to Marshall after that catch. It seems like they are bonding and their chemistry will only grow.

To heck with "Baby TO". I call him B-Marsh.

BigBroncLove
09-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah I hate using his nickname from college.... certienly not the WR you want to see him become, at least personality wise....

But damn he's great to watch. That block he threw on Haggans against Buffalo (which happened to be after he cold clocked Hixon and interfered with his ability to catch a punt) was beautiful. The kid is pretty damn complete as a WR. He is not a speedster, but has the speed you need in a WR, can block like a champion, and breaks tackles well....

If he continues to develop like this, I could see him becoming a WR very much akin to Bolden who has one of the best YAC numbers.

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 10:14 PM
What a steal is right. Marshall is great after the catch at getting those extra yards and is going to be quite a reciever in this league.

Walker, Marhall, and Stokley.......nice trio! :D

Nice article BenBronx, thanks.

walker of course is cutlers go to guy but having a guy like marshal on the other side forces teams not to double team walker. then throw in stokely as a dangerous slot guy and defenses have some serious thinking to do. i think our trio is one of the best...there may be a few teams with really dominate recievers like chad, smith and t.o. but i think ours is the most complete.

we havent had such a tandem since eddie and smith.

DenBronx
09-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I loved the way Cutler ran up to Marshall after that catch. It seems like they are bonding and their chemistry will only grow.

true fans call him bmarsh....the media calls him baby t.o. to get a reaction.

Simple Jaded
09-20-2007, 10:30 PM
How bout Adult T.O?

Broncos Mtnman
09-20-2007, 10:33 PM

I guess that's better than calling him...

... B.M. :D

TXBRONC
09-20-2007, 10:44 PM
That's good article thanks for bringing it in here.

At any rate I think Dog Fish said it best this kid has the potential to be something special.

Skywalker
09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I always get excited when B-Marsh gets a catch...what he can do after the catch is amazing to watch.

I'm glad we get to watch him grow as a player and grow with Cutler. I have a feeling we'll be hearing "Cutler to Marshall" alot in the future. :D

Tned
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Every game you can see more and more what a beast this guy is going to become. When he matures over the next year or so, I think it will be like watching a man play among boys.

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 12:57 AM
I wanted to post this article, but didn't want a whole new thread on what is basically the same subject (Marshall being physical and a good looking WR so far). So here's another article on Marshall that I liked, hope you don't mind me posting it in your thread DenBronx. I thought the last quote was kind of funny....

http://www.gazette.com/sports/marshall_27521___article.html/blocking_broncos.html

ENGLEWOOD -- Brandon Marshall’s acrobatic catches are nice. Tip-toeing in bounds for a touchdown against Buffalo was impressive.

The Denver Broncos require more than that from their receivers. If you don’t get dirty blocking, they’ll find someone who will.

Marshall has shown in two starts this season that he can follow the legacy of receivers such as Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey, who put up great statistics and had the mentality to knock over cornerbacks on running plays.

“Either you have it or you don’t,” Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. “Some guys shy away from blocking and that’s just their nature, and then you have some guys who love contact.
“He’s a hitter, and he doesn’t shy away from contact.”

Blocking isn’t glamorous, and doesn’t fit the recent stereotype of an NFL wide receiver catching touchdowns and mugging for cameras. But Marshall, who has 10 catches for 134 yards this year, takes pride in being an all-around player.

“It’s another aspect of the game that basically shows character,” Marshall said. “You got a lot of guys who just want to go out there and catch balls, but you have to be a team guy and go out there and throw your body in there sometimes.”

Shanahan said he figured Marshall would be physical. Marshall played free safety during his junior year at Central Florida because of injuries in the secondary.

In Denver’s first game this season Marshall had a highlight block. Quarterback Jay Cutler scrambled left and Marshall put Bills linebacker Mario Haggan on his back with a huge hit.

“It’s exciting when you get a big hit like that,” Marshall said.

Travis Henry leads the NFL in rushing yards, and the Broncos receivers deserve some credit for that. Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said when he watched film of the Broncos, he noticed right away how well Marshall and Javon Walker blocked.

“They really get after people,” Del Rio said.

Walker said he enjoys blocking, not that he had much choice.

“I think you have to develop that habit when you become a Bronco, the way they run here,” Walker said with a chuckle.

Marshall fits the role well. He is a big receiver, at 6-foot-4, 222 pounds. He seeks out contact. His size and attitude help him against many cornerbacks who are smaller and don’t like getting physical.

“Most of those guys don’t want to hit,” Marshall said. “They just want to cover a guy and look good in their uniform.”

Marshall said he thought of himself as a good blocker in college and made a quick transition to the pros. There wasn’t much to figure out.

“To make it simple — there’s nothing to blocking but having heart and not being scared, being physical,” Marshall said. “It’s no big secret, so for all the little young guys out there that want to know how to block, just run straight ahead to the guy you want to hit and throw your body in there.”

omac
09-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Great articles, DenBronx and BigBroncLove.

I like the attitude of this Bronco team. All hard working, all willing to make blocks, and no primadonnas.

I hope when he really starts to dominate, he gets a much better nickname. Baby T.O. sounds like the lesser version of T.O.

Skinny
09-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the read guys.

BMarsh is a coming along great and has the dynamics to be a special player because of his physical attributes. Watching him play, it's easy to tell that all he needs is more playing to make a name for himself in this league.

Going a little off topic here, but looking at the big picture.

The more BMarsh and Stokley keep progressing with Cutler and this offense as a whole the way they have, Rod comes to mind.

I really begin to wonder where he'll fit in in the rotation if and when he comes back this season.

His experiance and knowledge of finding soft spots in coverage combined with his unquestioned blocking ability, would be a big help inside the red-zone.

BroncoWave
09-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Rod should only be the #4 guy if he comes back. I don't see him being able to play any better than Walker, Marshall, or Stokley have.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the read guys.

BMarsh is a coming along great and has the dynamics to be a special player because of his physical attributes. Watching him play, it's easy to tell that all he needs is more playing to make a name for himself in this league.

Going a little off topic here, but looking at the big picture.

The more BMarsh and Stokley keep progressing with Cutler and this offense as a whole the way they have, Rod comes to mind.

I really begin to wonder where he'll fit in in the rotation if and when he comes back this season.

His experiance and knowledge of finding soft spots in coverage combined with his unquestioned blocking ability, would be a big help inside the red-zone.

We've already seen what he can do in the red zone i.e. his touchdown grab against the Bills.

Skinny
09-21-2007, 01:03 PM
We've already seen what he can do in the red zone i.e. his touchdown grab against the Bills.I'm taking hint TX that you took me for meening Brandon here.

I ment Rod so i apologize for not being more direct and clear on that.

My statement there was based on our red-zone woes and just i think how Rod could really help us there.

Sorry again for not being more specific (if that's what you ment :D).

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm taking hint TX that you took me for meening Brandon here.

I ment Rod so i apologize for not being more direct and clear on that.

My statement there was based on our red-zone woes and just i think how Rod could really help us there.

Sorry again for not being more specific (if that's what you ment :D).

It's no big deal.

GEM
09-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I was a bit unsure about him due to injury.....but that's it....it's official.....I'm on his bandwagon! My next broncos investment is a white Marshall jersey! :whoo:

I love his energy. He fights for every friggen yard....sometimes with 4 guys defending him. He isn't afraid to lay the flippen wood if it will get his teammate some extra yards....I'm thoroughly impressed with him.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I was a bit unsure about him due to injury.....but that's it....it's official.....I'm on his bandwagon! My next broncos investment is a white Marshall jersey! :whoo:

I love his energy. He fights for every friggen yard....sometimes with 4 guys defending him. He isn't afraid to lay the flippen wood if it will get his teammate some extra yards....I'm thoroughly impressed with him.

He is energetic. And as big as he is he can actually lay some lumber on someone if he has to block. Just ask that linebacker (whose name escapes me) that Marshall laid out.

dogfish
09-21-2007, 05:49 PM
He is energetic. And as big as he is he can actually lay some lumber on someone if he has to block. Just ask that linebacker (whose name escapes me) that Marshall laid out.

his name's mario haggan, but he might not have been able to tell you if you'd asked him after that hit. . . . :lol:

DenBronx
09-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I wanted to post this article, but didn't want a whole new thread on what is basically the same subject (Marshall being physical and a good looking WR so far). So here's another article on Marshall that I liked, hope you don't mind me posting it in your thread DenBronx.

thanks man, i dont mind at all...marshal is one of my favorite broncos.

enjoyed the article!

his name's mario haggan, but he might not have been able to tell you if you'd asked him after that hit. . . . :lol:

i wish i had that block in a gif. i would use it in my sig. :D

broncosfanscott
09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
walker of course is cutlers go to guy but having a guy like marshal on the other side forces teams not to double team walker. then throw in stokely as a dangerous slot guy and defenses have some serious thinking to do. i think our trio is one of the best...there may be a few teams with really dominate recievers like chad, smith and t.o. but i think ours is the most complete.

we havent had such a tandem since eddie and smith.

And once our offense starts clicking and we start scoring more points, we will quite dangerous.

TXBRONC
09-21-2007, 09:31 PM

No kidding that was the epitome of decleater. :laugh:

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 10:10 PM
well, other than cutler, bmarsh was really the only reason we had any offensive production today. i still think this kids a stud and what a steal 6th rounder. has had 7 catches for 133 yards....and might have had more looks but the offense didnt have the ball but 20 mins the whole game.

the broncos need to try and keep him and his contract happy in the future...

he was certain he was going to have a big game today in his interview and he was right. i really like his confidence in himself as well.

topscribe
09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
well, other than cutler, bmarsh was really the only reason we had any offensive production today. i still think this kids a stud and what a steal 6th rounder. has had 7 catches for 133 yards....and might have had more looks but the offense didnt have the ball but 20 mins the whole game.

the broncos need to try and keep him and his contract happy in the future...

he was certain he was going to have a big game today in his interview and he was right. i really like his confidence in himself as well.
I can't help but to think Walker and Stokley were part of that. Their very
presence on the field had to pull some of the secondary away from Marshall.
Who knows? Maybe next week the opponent, having seen the tapes, will gang
up on Marshall, and Walker will have a field day. Those three guys have made
it a "pick your poison" deal for the defense.

-----

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I can't help but to think Walker and Stokley were part of that. Their very
presence on the field had to pull some of the secondary away from Marshall.
Who knows? Maybe next week the opponent, having seen the tapes, will gang
up on Marshall, and Walker will have a field day. Those three guys have made
it a "pick your poison" deal for the defense.

-----

TOP, I think the simple fact is having all of them on the field creates tons of problems for defenses. It's like do we double up on Walker or double up on BMarsh and if we double up on one who's watching the slot guy Stokely? Sheffler hasnt even played yet either.

We all know that Walker is proven and we all know that Stokely is proven but now we are getting glimpses of a new superstar in Marshal. I think he can put up numbers like this on any given sunday and he has hands of glue along with the ability to take it to the house. Although young and immature he still is very smart, strong and wants to be the best in the game.

dogfish
09-23-2007, 10:55 PM
gotta love the way he plays-- right now i'd say he's probably the most physical receiver in the league, other than anquan boldin. . . he can punish defensive backs, but he's also elusive in the open field-- his run after the catch ability is very impressive, and fits well into the west coast offense. . . with his size/speed combo he's almost impossible to jam at the line. . . once he polishes his route-running a little, and really masters the nuances of the playbook, he has a chance to be a premiere reciver in this league. . .

gobroncsnv
09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Although young and immature he still is very smart, strong and wants to be the best in the game.

He got a great chance to show his stuff today. I joined his bandwagon last year... Glad to see he was a go-to guy. JW must have been well covered today??? Not many reps went his way. Regardless, when the opposing D shuts one of our guys down, they can't do a good job covering the other 2. I have to think that when Stokes, JW, and BMarsh are in there, we have to have SOMEBODY wide open everytime.

dogfish
09-23-2007, 10:59 PM
hey gobroncs, welcome to the forum!

:beer:

BANJOPICKER1
09-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I guess that's better than calling him...

... B.M. :D
I thought this was funny!!:D

gobroncsnv
09-23-2007, 11:03 PM
hey gobroncs, welcome to the forum!

:beer:

Thanks, I wondered where everybody went... found out from KC Lady (not sure of her user name.

Watchthemiddle
09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
He got a great chance to show his stuff today. I joined his bandwagon last year... Glad to see he was a go-to guy. JW must have been well covered today??? Not many reps went his way. Regardless, when the opposing D shuts one of our guys down, they can't do a good job covering the other 2. I have to think that when Stokes, JW, and BMarsh are in there, we have to have SOMEBODY wide open everytime.

Yup my adoptee is making a name for himself. He never goes down after the first hit and most likely will take on 2-3 after that in order to bring him down.

:beer::beer:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-23-2007, 11:14 PM
I think the Broncos saw some favorable match-ups with Brandon Marshall in today's game and really wanted to focus on him. Regardless of the loss, you cannot be more impressed with the way he handled himself today. I was real worried about our receivers being able to stick it out through the whole year, but Marshall has already exceeded my expectations thus far. In three games he already has about last years total production. That's fantastic.

Marshall: 17 receptions, 267 yards and one touchdown.

Walker: 19 receptions, 230 yards and no touchdowns.

It looks like we have a real formidable duo, and with Stokley making some splashes, we have a nice trio. I wasn't able to see the game, but I'm guessing that Walker was well covered. It's unusual for him to be so quiet. Anyways, if this pace actually kept up, we'd have two receivers going for 80-90 balls and going for over 1,100 yards each. That's great production.

Who knows what will happen, but you can cross off Denver needing a receiver in the draft early on, or it being a major priority in free agency. A big question has became a big plus for this team, and that's something to be thankful for.

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
gotta love the way he plays-- right now i'd say he's probably the most physical receiver in the league, other than anquan boldin. . . he can punish defensive backs, but he's also elusive in the open field-- his run after the catch ability is very impressive, and fits well into the west coast offense. . . with his size/speed combo he's almost impossible to jam at the line. . . once he polishes his route-running a little, and really masters the nuances of the playbook, he has a chance to be a premiere reciver in this league. . .

i forget where i saw it...maybe nfl network (playbook) they were showing how physical marshal was at the line. he was way more physical with the dbs then they were with him within the first 5 yards. he uses his long strong arms to muscle them out of the way. this is a huge advantage if you add in speed and size.

topscribe
09-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I think the Broncos saw some favorable match-ups with Brandon Marshall in today's game and really wanted to focus on him. Regardless of the loss, you cannot be more impressed with the way he handled himself today. I was real worried about our receivers being able to stick it out through the whole year, but Marshall has already exceeded my expectations thus far. In three games he already has about last years total production. That's fantastic.

Marshall: 17 receptions, 267 yards and one touchdown.

Walker: 19 receptions, 230 yards and no touchdowns.

It looks like we have a real formidable duo, and with Stokley making some splashes, we have a nice trio. I wasn't able to see the game, but I'm guessing that Walker was well covered. It's unusual for him to be so quiet. Anyways, if this pace actually kept up, we'd have two receivers going for 80-90 balls and going for over 1,100 yards each. That's great production.

Who knows what will happen, but you can cross off Denver needing a receiver in the draft early on, or it being a major priority in free agency. A big question has became a big plus for this team, and that's something to be thankful for.
I would still like them to look at WRs, at least for a lower-middle round.
After the top three, the bottom drops out, and even if Rod comes back,
he's no spring chicken . . .

Make sense?

-----

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 11:23 PM
i forget where i saw it...maybe nfl network (playbook) they were showing how physical marshal was at the line. he was way more physical with the dbs then they were with him within the first 5 yards. he uses his long strong arms to muscle them out of the way. this is a huge advantage if you add in speed and size.

playbook is perhaps my favorite football analysis show....

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 11:26 PM

Make sense?

-----

id like to see us bulk up on oline. imagine what cutler could do with protection? imagine what our wrs could do?

whos that guy from the steelers that signed a franchise tag? oh yeah pro bowler alan faneca...he has said he wants something long term. he is a free agent next year.

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 03:06 AM
I doubted Brandon Marshall, especially after his training camp comments, I doubted if he had the mentality.

He is proving me wrong and I am happy about that. We know have a very good receiving thread (Walker, Marshall, Stokley).

If only the offensive line would do the same.

BroncoBJ
09-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Even though we lost we still have some bright spots that I love about this team and Marshall was one of them. I predicted him to have between 600-700 yards and 6 Tds this season. I didn't think he would start off this great. I love how he just refuses to go down. I think we had a great draft class in 2006. I cant wait to watch Marshall throughout his career. I really dont see how teams can stop our offense. We can move the ball at will and I'm loving Stokley. But Marshall is by exceeding his expectations. I hope he keeps it up and I would love to have 2 1000 yard recievers, a 1200 yard Rusher, and a 3500 yard passer.

Anyways Keep up the great work Bmarsh.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Make sense?

-----

I think with two fourth rounders and two fifths you'll see Broncos focus on some skill positions on the offensive side of the ball.

Astrass
09-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I missed the game but saw the nfl.com highlights. Marshall is comming along great. I think he out hustles Walker at this point. He is really fun to watch with the ball.

Calibroncogrl47
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I am very excited about how well he is doing!! He is a great addition to the offense!

He is such a big target.. Like TO with manners.. :laugh:

Krugan
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Im going to go ahead and eat my crow here.

Marshall is doing much better then I ever thought he might.

Yea, I was wrong, again.

DenBronx
09-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Yea, I was wrong, again.

not a bad thing to be wrong on. really theres nothing better when someone on your own team proves you wrong. id rather be right about a player not doing good on another team than a player on mine that exceeds expectations.

then there of course is the guy that a team drafts or signs via free agent hoping to live up to the hype/past history only to have them bomb on you. one guy brings back a memory, lets see, maybe ashley lelie? he thought he was a #1 wr and so did the falcons and their fans, yet he is now 5th on the niners depth chart.

so yeah, i love when a player proves himself. smith has taught some of these guys well. especially since he has a lot of free time on his hands. having walker and stokley i think helps too. these guys bring in a hard working ethic and a new demension to the wr core that we have.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Yea, I was wrong, again.

Well as all of us can say, it's not the first time and wont be the last. Don't worry about it Krugan.

gobroncsnv
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I can't hang with you on that... Javon is doing great this year as well. If they concentrated on him to keep him from breaking out, Marshall took advantage. And that is EXACTLY what we've been missing. Gotta have more than one threat. Now let'm try to concentrate more on Marshall, and see what JW can do. It's either arsenic or cyanide. (yeah, pick your poison)

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I can't hang with you on that... Javon is doing great this year as well. If they concentrated on him to keep him from breaking out, Marshall took advantage. And that is EXACTLY what we've been missing. Gotta have more than one threat. Now let'm try to concentrate more on Marshall, and see what JW can do. It's either arsenic or cyanide. (yeah, pick your poison)

Exactly, Javon has been quite to a large degree because teams are focusing on him, but as Marshall emerges as threat it makes more difficult to take Javon away without paying a price for it.

dogfish
09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Exactly, Javon has been quite to a large degree because teams are focusing on him, but as Marshall emerges as threat it makes more difficult to take Javon away without paying a price for it.

that's just it, though-- javon really hasn't been quiet. . . hasn't scored yet, but he was tied for the league lead in receptions coming in to the jacksonville game. . . we had a better matchup with marshall, and we exploited it. . . it just goes to show that marshall is a legitimate threat, and that javon doesn't have to be the focus of our passing game every single week. . . :werd:

once our offense starts to hit on all cylinders, i'm sure we'll get some scores out of javon-- but even if his numbers drop a little this year because marshall is giving us a lot more production from the #2 spot, that'll be just fine with me. . . javon was huge in winning the buffalo game for us, and he looks to be playing with purpose this year. . .

Rick
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Kid keeps playing like he is TO is going to be known as baby Marsh...

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
that's just it, though-- javon really hasn't been quiet. . . hasn't scored yet, but he was tied for the league lead in receptions coming in to the jacksonville game. . . we had a better matchup with marshall, and we exploited it. . . it just goes to show that marshall is a legitimate threat, and that javon doesn't have to be the focus of our passing game every single week. . . :werd:

once our offense starts to hit on all cylinders, i'm sure we'll get some scores out of javon-- but even if his numbers drop a little this year because marshall is giving us a lot more production from the #2 spot, that'll be just fine with me. . . javon was huge in winning the buffalo game for us, and he looks to be playing with purpose this year. . .

I should have made that clear because that is what I meant by quiet.

DenBronx
09-26-2007, 12:35 AM
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1205861NcG2zX5Q

case closed.

Skinny
09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Another nice article on BMarsh
9/26/2007

Emerging star

Marshall making waves in second season with Denver

By Brian Howell
The Daily Times-Call

ENGLEWOOD — Brandon Marshall knows he’s good. Now, he’s starting to get the rest of the NFL to take notice.

During last Sunday’s 23-14 loss to Jacksonville, the Denver Broncos’ second-year receiver had his biggest game as a pro. He caught seven passes for 133 yards and was impressive with his moves after catching the ball.

“The more we play and the number of games we get under our belt, (other teams are) going to see that — that I can be a No. 2 receiver, a No. 1 receiver in this league,” Marshall said. “It comes with experience and more respect that I’m going to get and my team is going to get.”

Veteran Javon Walker is Denver’s top receiver. Jacksonville knew that, and made every effort to stop him, holding him to two catches for 10 yards.

While Walker was blanketed, Marshall was able to get open, and he made the most of his chances.

“I think everybody was hoping that he’d have a breakout game like that, but you can see what he can do when the ball is in his hands,” Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said. “He can break tackles and make some big plays.”

Prior to Sunday, Marshall’s career high for receptions was five — the number he had in the opener against Buffalo and again in Week 2 against Oakland. His previous best yardage total was 82, also in Week 2 against Oakland.

With 17 catches for 267 yards this season, Marshall has already nearly matched his numbers from his rookie season in 2006, when he caught 20 passes for 309 yards. He ranks 13th in the league in receiving yards.

“He’s a stud,” Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said of Marshall. “We liked the match-up we had with Brandon and (Jacksonville’s) right corner. Obviously, we’d like to get the ball to Javon Walker a little bit more, but we had a good thing going. Brandon, he was making big plays for us.”

Cutler, like Marshall, is in his second year in the NFL, and he’s already comfortable throwing to Marshall.

“I had a lot of confidence with Brandon coming into this season,” Cutler said. “He just had to kind of learn how much potential he has and just work hard every week. He’s going to get touches. The better he gets, the more attention he’s going to get, and that’s going to ease things up on Javon's side.”

Marshall knows Walker, who has 19 catches for 230 yards, will be the main focus for opposing defenses, but he has embraced his role of trying to take pressure off Walker.

“When we talk about keeping the field balanced and not allowing defensive coordinators to roll coverage and bracket our No. 1 (Walker), absolutely,” Marshall said when asked if he’s easing the pressure on Walker.

Marshall is confident — as most receivers tend to be — and the fourth-round draft choice from Central Florida said he’s not worried about his physical ability to play and dominate in the NFL. He knows he’s still got some work to do, though.

“The time when younger players become good is when they don’t let things get to their head,” he said. “I’ve been doing this for a long time. This is only my second year in the NFL, but playing football is easy to me. The toughest things are off the field. I think when I become good and when I’m going to be great is when I don’t let those type of things get to me.”

http://www.timescall.com/Sports_Story.asp?ID=3682

broncosfanscott
09-26-2007, 06:07 PM
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1205861NcG2zX5Q

case closed.

Pretty much. Nice video.

Walker and Marshall are both having good years and are both in the top 10 (AFC) in receptions. The one thing about Marshall for opponents is that they better tackle him once he catches the ball otherwise he is going to get about 10 extra yards. After the catch he is just sick. Marshall's continued success with allow Walker more one-on-one matchups, which definatly favor him.

EDIT: For anyone who got the gameday program for the Bronco/Raider game there is a good article about Marshall in it. I get them through the mail and just got it today. Very good read.