PDA

View Full Version : T. Scheffler trade value?

broncofaninfla
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I know this is premature and unfounded speculation but I wonder what the trade value is for Scheffler? Despite his current third string status he is still a young and up and coming TE who will succeed in this league. Could that equate to him being possible trade bait for an up and coming impact type MLB or defensive lineman? I know Shef is a popular player, I love the guy but I love the TEAM more. If you are THE GUY in charge, what would you do? Could trading him benefit this team assuming we get a stud defensive player in return?
:listen:

turftoad
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I know this is premature and unfounded speculation but I wonder what the trade value is for Scheffler? Despite his current third string status he is still a young and up and coming TE who will succeed in this league. Could that equate to him being possible trade bait for an up and coming impact type MLB or defensive lineman? I know Shef is a popular player, I love the guy but I love the TEAM more. If you are THE GUY in charge, what would you do? Could trading him benefit this team assuming we get a stud defensive player in return?

:tsk:

LRtagger
08-26-2008, 12:06 PM
You have to consider who is in front of him on the depth chart. Nate Jackson will inevitably get hurt by the 3rd game (5th game max).

turftoad
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
You have to consider who is in front of him on the depth chart. Nate Jackson will inevitably get hurt by the 3rd game (5th game max).

It's another Shanny mind game anyway. THere is no way Nate stays ahead of Scheff.

claymore
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Id be shocked if Jackson made it out of practice and into the regular season.

Dreadnought
08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
No Way, No How.

LRtagger
08-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Id be shocked if Jackson made it out of practice and into the regular season.

We need to start a pool.

Northman
08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
If we actually had a TE who could play ahead of him maybe. But Shef is the best one we got so no, trading him is not an option.

Dreadnought
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
If we actually had a TE who could play ahead of him maybe. But Shef is the best one we got so no, trading him is not an option.

Exactly - Graham is just a flat out poor receiver, and a liability to the passing attack.

broncofaninfla
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I've heard health concerns about Jackson but Sheff has been hurt a lot too. I wonder why he seems to start each season in Shannys dog house?

honz
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I have just been assuming that Scheff hasn't been playing much in the preseason because they are trying to keep him healthy and keep his nagging foot injury at bay. I suspect that he will be our primary receiving TE come opening night. At least I hope so, because I plan on him being my primary TE in fantasy football this year!

underrated29
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I see you saw my post in the other thread earlier.

If we could trade scheff and a 2nd for a pimp MLB-tatupu,willis (obviously neither would go for it.) but if a team was willing to do it. I would do it in a heartbeat!

I love shceff and jackson is cool,but not the answer. However, a MLB is so much more important to us right now than a TE. We could then use next years 3rd on a solid TE. And use our 1st on a pimp, S,DT,C.

If some team were willing I would be all for it. D grahm is a good receiveng TE, nate is but he is never healthy, and leach isnt half bad either. Plus i think anthony fasano was released-and that boy can catch too.

But only for an elite MLB.

MOtorboat
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Scheffler is EXTREMELY important for this team in the first two games. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him in the slot those first two weeks.

Rick
08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't care what the depth chart says right now, no way I don't see Shef as Cutlers go to tight end come opening day.

Northman
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM

If we could trade scheff and a 2nd for a pimp MLB-tatupu,willis (obviously neither would go for it.) but if a team was willing to do it. I would do it in a heartbeat!

I love shceff and jackson is cool,but not the answer. However, a MLB is so much more important to us right now than a TE. We could then use next years 3rd on a solid TE. And use our 1st on a pimp, S,DT,C.

If some team were willing I would be all for it. D grahm is a good receiveng TE, nate is but he is never healthy, and leach isnt half bad either. Plus i think anthony fasano was released-and that boy can catch too.

Seattle and San Fran would never give up those players for Sheff and a 2nd. They just arent that stupid. Now, San Fran may give up Willis for Jay Cutler. Sheffler has promise but isnt a solidified premier TE yet.

Stargazer
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Why weaken the TE position by trading Schef to hopefully improve the play at MLB? This doesn't help the Broncos at all.

Now trading a 2nd or 1st for a proven MLB would make more sense. Though that is probably not going to happen either.

Northman
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Why weaken the TE position by trading Schef to hopefully improve the play at MLB? This doesn't help the Broncos at all.

Now trading a 2nd or 1st for a proven MLB would make more sense. Though that is probably not going to happen either.

This makes 10 times more sense than giving up good players in key positions that we need.

broncofaninfla
08-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Yes I did, makes for a good discusion, thanks!

I agree with what you said as well.

If I was in charge, I WOULD consider trading Shef for an impact defensive player of need. I would be concerned on how Cutler felt about that but feel Jackson or even Hillis even could step up and take up the slack.

underrated29
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
øh yeah, of course they wouldnt. they were just the only couple of examples i coult think of that had elite MLB.

Sadly i dont hink we could even get old ray lewis for shceff and a 2nd. But i would never make that trade anywhow.

Simple Jaded
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Anthony Fasano was traded to the Dolphins, and I don't think they cut him either.

If Scheffler could get you some legitimate help on the D-line, I say do it, because it's obvious they need help there. The problem is nobody is going to make that trade, DLman are far more valuable than a receiving TE, and not many teams have extra defensive lineman laying around the house.

To gauge his value you'd have to start with what the Saints gave up for Shockey, Scheffler's value might be a bit lower......

JONtheBRONCO
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd probably rage if Tony was traded. Very important to our O. Back to reality though, he isn't going anywhere.

WARHORSE
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Well........since this thread is here and all..............I would think the team interested in him is the Tejans. Owen Daniels is their starter..............nuff said.

Buff
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Exactly - Graham is just a flat out poor receiver, and a liability to the passing attack.

I wouldn't go that far. If he were a liability to the passing game then he'd be an offensive tackle. He doesn't have the speed to seperate from alot of LB's, but he does have above average hands... He just had one unfortunate drop last year that sticks out in all of our minds.

As far as trading Scheff-- that's a no-go. Our TE depth is perfect as-is. Plus, his stock is still low, if we were going to trade him, it'd be after he had a breakout year and commanded alot of value. The draft-pick we'd receive in return would not be as valuable as Scheffler is.

Dreadnought
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't go that far. If he were a liability to the passing game then he'd be an offensive tackle. He doesn't have the speed to seperate from alot of LB's, but he does have above average hands... He just had one unfortunate drop last year that sticks out in all of our minds.

As far as trading Scheff-- that's a no-go. Our TE depth is perfect as-is. Plus, his stock is still low, if we were going to trade him, it'd be after he had a breakout year and commanded alot of value. The draft-pick we'd receive in return would not be as valuable as Scheffler is.

He is essentially a 3rd tackle, and he's a superb run blocker. Its his lack of speed and ability to create mismatches that make him a liability to the pass game IMO, certainly compared to Scheff or even Dream's guy Nate J. Last year we needed him to shore up our tackles a lot anyway, but ideally a great pass catching TE should keep defensive coordinators awake at night trying to scheme against them with badly matched personnel packages.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
It'd take 1,000,000 Nate Jackson's to equal one Tony Scheffler.

honz
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
He is essentially a 3rd tackle, and he's a superb run blocker. Its his lack of speed and ability to create mismatches that make him a liability to the pass game IMO, certainly compared to Scheff or even Dream's guy Nate J. Last year we needed him to shore up our tackles a lot anyway, but ideally a great pass catching TE should keep defensive coordinators awake at night trying to scheme against them with badly matched personnel packages.
Exactly. We will be glad we have Graham when we need to punch it in the endzone on 3rd and goal from 2, though. I love Scheff, but he is a mediocre blocker at best for a TE.

topscribe
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Scheffler had 49 receptions over 11 games. That averages out to 71
receptions over a 16-game season. Trade? I don't believe the Broncos are
that stupid . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Scheffler had 49 receptions over 11 games. That averages out to 71
receptions over a 16-game season. Trade? I don't believe the Broncos are
that stupid . . .

-----

We got rid of Sundquist, no worries Toppy my boy!

topscribe
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
It'd take 1,000,000 Nate Jackson's to equal one Tony Scheffler.

I think Shanny agrees with you.

That's why the depth chart shows . . . oh wait . . .

-----

Stargazer
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Agree with the trading Scheff part.

Graham has avg hands and has had the occasional butterfingers ever since he's been in the league. He's a 3rd tackle out there and will help Clady/Harris. Graham will run some routes here & there and end the season around 25 catches and a couple of TD's. He's here to block, not light up the receiving stats sheet.

So why trade Schef? The position is solid and there's absolutely no reason to weaken it by trading Schef. I think Schef is going to have a big year this year. No way Denver trades him.

atwater27
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO... Worst thread ever.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I think Shanny agrees with you.

That's why the depth chart shows . . . oh wait . . .

-----

Yep, I'm sure the coaches feel that Jackson is better than Tony. Lol. Aroflarofl.

Ziggy
08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Scheffler isn't going anywhere soon. As far as the MLB position goes, there will be a couple of options in free agency next year. Jonathon Vilma and Ray Lewis will both be UFA's.

turftoad
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Scheffler isn't going anywhere soon. As far as the MLB position goes, there will be a couple of options in free agency next year. Jonathon Vilma and Ray Lewis will both be UFA's.

We need to draft one of the young studs.

We don't need any baggage.

Stargazer
08-26-2008, 05:32 PM
We need to draft one of the young studs.

Agree. Can't fix everything this year & might as well head back to the draft and fill holes. Next year LB, DL, S, CB.

Webster & Niko will have to do. Highly doubt someone cut from another team is going to come to Denver and start.

broncosinindy
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Nate Jackson is a Enigma

SarahKay
08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
:tsk: I would be highly pissed if they even thought of trading him. I think he could go far with our team. :beer:

pnbronco
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Have to agree with Turf :tsk: In addition to what he brings to the team he's one of Cutlers best friends, why mess with something that works.

slim
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM

If by "above average hands" you mean he is the next Darius Watts, then I agree 100%.

slim
08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
BTW...I don't think 3rd string TE have ANY trade value.

broncofaninfla
08-28-2008, 08:06 AM
BTW...I don't think 3rd string TE have ANY trade value.

I read this morning in the Denver Post that Shef is getting starter treatment and being held out of the final preseason game. It will be interesting to see who plays at tight end in this game.

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I read this morning in the Denver Post that Shef is getting starter treatment and being held out of the final preseason game. It will be interesting to see who plays at tight end in this game.

Nate Jackson...

P.S. There is nothing wrong with a solid third-string tight end...and that's what Jackson is...until week 2 when he gets hurt.

Dreadnought
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Nate Jackson...

P.S. There is nothing wrong with a solid third-string tight end...and that's what Jackson is...until week 2 when he gets hurt.

O Ye of little faith. This is Nate's year, I can feel it.

As to trade value to either guy...Scheff is worth a lot to us, but little on the trade market. Nate Jackson might be valuable for us, and I doubt we'd get as much as a 6th for him, so he has no trade value whatsoever. Therefore we should keep both of them them.

Mike
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised at people's lack of patience with allowing young players to mature and grow...but damn. :rolleyes:

silkamilkamonico
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Get over your man crush of Nate Jackson already Shanahan. The guy isn't going to do anything in the season for Denver. Again.

MOtorboat
08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised at people's lack of patience with allowing young players to mature and grow...but damn. :rolleyes:

I think you're referring to Scheffler...

Because Jackson is 29.