PDA

View Full Version : The 3 QBs Josh McDaniels has coached..

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
..currently average 22 TDs, 5 Int, and a QB rating over 100. All 3 are likely bound for the Pro Bowl. They were drafted in the 4th, 6th, and 7th rounds, I believe. There should be a huge market for one of Denver's QBs next season. They have a plethora of talent at the position, and there is a dearth around the league. The value of Orton, Quinn, and Tebow is considerably accentuated by their association with the McDaniels brothers.

Dirk
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll give you Orton but Quinn and Tebow have shown nothing yet.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't think being associated with McDaniel's brother is a good thing, in the least.

I also dont think the "market" for Quinn is better now, than it was last year in Cleveland, when NO one would give them anything for him... except us.

Orton might bring a 3rd.. maybe a 2nd, if the team is in dire need enough. But I don't think ANYONE believes that the coaching of McD is something that carries on to the next team. So I don't think that the "association" with McD raises the value, at all.

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think being associated with McDaniel's brother is a good thing, in the least.

I also dont think the "market" for Quinn is better now, than it was last year in Cleveland, when NO one would give them anything for him... except us.

Orton might bring a 3rd.. maybe a 2nd, if the team is in dire need enough. But I don't think ANYONE believes that the coaching of McD is something that carries on to the next team. So I don't think that the "association" with McD raises the value, at all.

Matt Cassell is playing better in K.C. than he did his year as a starter in N.E. This is a guy who couldn't start in college and was a surprise even to be drafted when he graduated. Come on, you don't think that teams are aware of that. Or the huge strides Orton has made in Denver?

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Matt Cassell is playing better in K.C. than he did his year as a starter in N.E. This is a guy who couldn't start in college and was a surprise even to be drafted when he graduated. Come on, you don't think that teams are aware of that. Or the huge strides Orton has made in Denver?

Yep Cassel playing better this year as compared to last. That's a tribute to Haley not to McDaniels.

Nomad
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Yep Cassel playing better this year as compared to last. That's a tribute to Haley not to McDaniels.

or could it be Weis??:ponder:!!

dogfish
12-02-2010, 01:43 PM
good point. . . mcdaniels is going to be in serious demand as a QB coach this offseason when we fire his ass. . . .

:D

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
or could it be Weis??:ponder:!!

Maybe.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM

In a system that is similar. This is also a QB that is NOT considered to be good. So he's playing better NOW, two years after being coached by someone else other than McD. Ok.

Who's point did you just prove?? :confused:

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
McDaniels is going to be a head coach in the league for a lot of years. Whether that is in Denver or elsewhere. But you should hope it's Denver, because Quinn and Tebow have a lot more raw talent to start with than Orton or Cassell did.

GEM
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Wooooohooooo!!! McD is a great QB coach. :whoo:

Too bad he sucks as a head coach.:2thumbsdown:

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
McDaniels is going to be a head coach in the league for a lot of years. Whether that is in Denver or elsewhere. But you should hope it's Denver, because Quinn and Tebow have a lot more raw talent to start with than Orton or Cassell did.

Not if he can't learn to work and play well with others.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM

I'm willing to take that bet. I dont' see a single things that makes McD a good coach at all. I hope, with every fiber in my being, that its not Denver.

dogfish
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM

yea, who cares if we have the worst defense and run game in the league? that's just fluff if your quarterback can go to the pro bowl. . .

:2thumbs:

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
..currently average 22 TDs, 5 Int, and a QB rating over 100. All 3 are likely bound for the Pro Bowl. They were drafted in the 4th, 6th, and 7th rounds, I believe. There should be a huge market for one of Denver's QBs next season. They have a plethora of talent at the position, and there is a dearth around the league. The value of Orton, Quinn, and Tebow is considerably accentuated by their association with the McDaniels brothers.

Wait.. what 3 QBs are you talking about?

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
In a system that is similar. This is also a QB that is NOT considered to be good. So he's playing better NOW, two years after being coached by someone else other than McD. Ok.

Who's point did you just prove?? :confused:
As far as Cassell is concerned? In college he was behind Matt Leinart who was all everything. If Leinart had come out in 2005 he might have gone first overall when Cassell went close to last overall. Five years later Matt C. is playing at an All Pro level in the NFL and Leinart is on the bench as a third stringer somewhere. Off the waiver wire. That's a pretty obvious "point", don't you think?

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Wait.. what 3 QBs are you talking about?

The three starters Josh has coached, Brady, Cassell, and Orton. All three developed far beyond where they were expected to coming out of college.

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
The three starters Josh has coached, Brady, Cassell, and Orton. All three developed far beyond where they were expected to coming out of college.

Brady was already a great before McDaniels ever became the quarterbacks coach and already had once Super Bowls under his belt before McDaniels came around.

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Brady had his best statistical seasons under McDaniels. Even though the cast around him was constantly changing.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Brady won THREE Super Bowls before McD had a single thing to do with him.

After that, Brady is the only one going to the Pro-Bowl.

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Brady had his best statistical seasons under McDaniels. Even though the cast around him was constantly changing.

Ah no the cast was not consistenly changing around him that's just not accurate.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Ahhh.. and yet... nothing. Guess what team is now getting back to a more balanced offense now that McD is gone? Thats right, the Patriots.

I think the "best statistical" seasons he had, are the ones where he walked away with the SB rings and MVPs. Also... the cast around Brady is still changing, and he's still winning.

Don't even try to give McD credit for ANYTHING Brady.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
As far as Cassell is concerned? In college he was behind Matt Leinart who was all everything. If Leinart had come out in 2005 he might have gone first overall when Cassell went close to last overall. Five years later Matt C. is playing at an All Pro level in the NFL and Leinart is on the bench as a third stringer somewhere. Off the waiver wire. That's a pretty obvious "point", don't you think?

YOu are changin every direction. THe point is, Cassel is having his best NFL year after being AWAY from McD for two seasons.... thats what you said, right?

After that, I have no idea what his success in the NFL compared to his college days has a SINGLE thing to do with the conversation. McD didn't even draft the guy.

Nomad
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Ahhh.. and yet... nothing. Guess what team is now getting back to a more balanced offense now that McD is gone? Thats right, the Patriots.

I think the "best statistical" seasons he had, are the ones where he walked away with the SB rings and MVPs. Also... the cast around Brady is still changing, and he's still winning.

Rav just blew you away Ethan!!! I believe Weis has more to do with Brady and Cassel's success!! Not taking anything away from Mcdaniels as he did a good job with cassel and Orton as well!

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Through the three Super Bowls in four years Brady had basically the same players around him. 2007 was the biggest change in personnel and that it receiving corp that changed the most with a tweak or two on defense.

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Josh was with the Pats for all three SBs, and QB coach for at least one of them, possibly two. He was Brady's QB coach or OC for 5 years, you can't say he had nothing to do with his success.

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Josh was with the Pats for all three SBs, and QB coach for at least one of them, possibly two. He was Brady's QB coach or OC for 5 years, you can't say he had nothing to do with his success.

Yes we can and we did. :D

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Cassel played well in New England, and has played well in K.C. He was totally developed as a QB by McDaniels. From scratch, pretty much. Guy had not a single start in 5 years of college.

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Does keeping MCDaniels another year mean we sure as hell will not draft Andrew luck?

No offense to Tebow, but who wouldn't want the next John Elway in hype and skill?

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Luck looks retarded. Even more so than Bradford.

GEM
12-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Cassel played well in New England, and has played well in K.C. He was totally developed as a QB by McDaniels. From scratch, pretty much. Guy had not a single start in 5 years of college.

So again.....

He's a good QB coach.

And he still sucks as a HC.

Nomad

You're right! McDaniels is a hell of a QB coach and probably influenced Cassell alot! Where was Cassell last year before Weis showed up!!

silkamilkamonico

So does Peyton Manning, yet anyone would be idiotic to say no.

GEM

:laugh: Do you watch football? :confused:

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Does keeping MCDaniels another year mean we sure as hell will not draft Andrew luck?

No offense to Tebow, but who wouldn't want the next John Elway in hype and skill?

I would trade Tebow and Orton away to gain enough to move to the #1 spot, and take Luck in a heartbeat! That guy is stud, and coming right out of Stanford as well.

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Again no he wasn't fully developed as quarterback. If he was he should have done a hell of a lot better job than he did last year. Btw according Cassel himself he had to learn that there was more than just Patriot way of winning games. A fully developed quarterback should understand that concept that their is more than one way to win games.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
You're right! McDaniels is a hell of a QB coach and probably influenced Cassell alot! Where was Cassell last year before Weis showed up!!

Terrible!! :confused:

So, again, I think this is a point for Weis. Great point, Nomad! :beer:

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I would trade Tebow and Orton away to gain enough to move to the #1 spot, and take Luck in a heartbeat! That guy is stud, and coming right out of Stanford as well.

Agreed. This isn't any disrespect towards any QB we have, and I have happened to gain a little liking for Orton, this is simply about getting the next big thing, IMHO.

GEM
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Your trade partner better be Arizona then, cause if he's there, they are nabbing him.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Cassel played well in New England,(with a team taht went 18-0 the previous year) and has played well in K.C. (after Weis came in as OC. He was terrible last year). He was totally developed as a QB by McDaniels From scratch, pretty much (completely incorrect). Guy had not a single start in 5 years of college.

and many KC fans are wishing he didn't have a single start there, as well. He's not a good QB.

Nomad
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM

According to Boise St fans, it's Kellen Moore!! FTW!!!!:lol:

Luck will be an excellent QB too bad you'll see him wearing a Panther, Bills, or bengals helmet!!

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Your trade partner better be Arizona then, cause if he's there, they are nabbing him.

Well. I'm thinking Carolina might have the top spot. If THAT is the case, then they might consider such a trade since they drafted whats-his-face last season. He was rated as one of the top "NFL ready" QBs of the draft, and hasn't had much chance to start this season.

If they see that they may already have a decent guy on the roster, and need the picks to actually BUILD around him, then adding more picks may be the direction they go! :D

Ravage!!!
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Luck will be an excellent QB too bad you'll see him wearing a Panther, Bills, or bengals helmet!!

:tsk: That just hurts to read.

dogfish
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM

he won't be there for them either-- assuming he actually comes out this year, he'll go number one overall to carolina. . .

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
he won't be there for them either-- assuming he actually comes out this year, he'll go number one overall to carolina. . .

That's a relief because I thought we wouldn't have chance to get the best blocking tight end in next year's draft. :lol:

dogfish
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
oh, and. . .

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1407/thisthreadsucks.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/i/thisthreadsucks.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 02:36 PM
You guys want some kid who looks like he should be playing a fiddle in Deliverance, whose college stats PALE next to Tebow's. Playing in the frigging Pac 10.:lol:

Maybe y'all can get bit parts in the remake.

Elevation inc
12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

i dont think so entirely.....after Fox is fired it will depend on who they bring in.....luck still has a very good chance to go to arizona and mallet and locker will drop down to late 1st status and both will be far from ready there first year to start they need a vet ahead of them like orton....and if we put orton on the block, one of the following will bite for a 2nd rd pick...Buffalo, San fran, Cincy, Minnesota, Carolina.

dogfish
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
i dont think so entirely.....after Fox is fired it will depend on who they bring in.....luck still has a very good chance to go to arizona and mallet and locker will drop down to late 1st status and both will be far from ready there first year to start they need a vet ahead of them like orton....and if we put orton on the block, one of the following will bite for a 2nd rd pick...Buffalo, San fran, Cincy, Minnesota, Carolina.

you really think carolina will pass on luck just because they got that turd claussen last year? i don't see it, at all. . .

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM

So, Charlie Weis doesnt exist? Charlie Weis is currently coaching Cassel and was who coached Brady when New England was actually winning Super Bowls.

Jake Klug
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
you really think carolina will pass on luck just because they got that turd claussen last year? i don't see it, at all. . .

No way they pass on Luck if they draft at 1.

Northman
12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
good point. . . mcdaniels is going to be in serious demand as a QB coach this offseason when we fire his ass. . . .

Dude, i almost choked on a triscuit when i read this. Too funny.

Northman
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
yea, who cares if we have the worst defense and run game in the league? that's just fluff if your quarterback can go to the pro bowl. . .

:2thumbs:

Anti-Shanahan fan from 3 years ago: "Who cares that Cutler made the pro bowl, he cant win!!!!!!!"

Meanwhile, in Chicago......

Northman
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM

What is this? A beauty pageant?

Northman
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
You guys want some kid who looks like he should be playing a fiddle in Deliverance, whose college stats PALE next to Tebow's. Playing in the frigging Pac 10.:lol:

Maybe y'all can get bit parts in the remake.

Yea, thanks for your time Jags.

Lancane
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Anti-Shanahan fan from 3 years ago: "Who cares that Cutler made the pro bowl, he cant win!!!!!!!"

:banghead:

This may be off topic, but McDaniels coached quarterbacks...who?

I thought Dick Rehbein was Tom's quarterback coach, his first two seasons in the league, of course under Charlie Weiss who was their offensive coordinator.

He was Matt Cassel's quarterback coach his rookie year, then the quarterback coach/offensive coordinator in Cassel's second, third and fourth season, I'm sure they spent a lot of time together. But shouldn't some of the credit for Cassel come from sitting behind the likes of Tom Brady for four F'n years? Usually you sit behind someone and they're the starter you learn from them more then the coach. I also find it funny that Cassel has a higher quarterback rating this season then any other season he's played...and to be technical Brady only had one season under McDaniels that his quarterback rating was higher then his average? Go figure...it must have been all Josh.

That leads me to Kyle 'The Drunkard' Orton, who is in a system that he fits, and always has being coached or so we're led to believe by Ben McDaniels, Josh's little brother. But, that he so good that he get's the credit, but Joe Tiller get's none, even though Drew Brees also came out of Tiller's offense and therefore the similarity in systems isn't a big help? But then again, Drew Brees actually went from a spread system to a West Coast offense in San Diego and had a good quarterback coach there as well.

I don't think we can determine if McDaniels is that great of a quarterback coach, Weiss seems to have the edge as would Tiller, maybe even Tom Brady in regards to that. Just because you coached a kid, doesn't mean that the success he has is due to the coaching...just ask Tom Brady or better yet Cassel who is having his best year under Charlie Weiss!

robert ethan
12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Whatever, if McDaniels gave some bum on the street 5 bucks, you guys would say he was trying to bribe the guy to like him. Or blame him for encouraging beggers. Or call him cheap because he didn't give the guy 10. Or most likely all 3 at the same time. There's no point arguing, and nothing to be learned here.

Lancane
12-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Whatever, if McDaniels gave some bum on the street 5 bucks, you guys would say he was trying to bribe the guy to like him. Or blame him for encouraging beggers. Or call him cheap because he didn't give the guy 10. Or most likely all 3 at the same time.

No, I'd think he was being a nice guy helping someone less fortunate them himself...

Don't mistake people, the problem is that 'you' wholly believe in him as the leader of this team and as the coach. We do not, the majority does not and that doesn't make it personal, don't you think that if it was that bad, someone would have gone and thrown a brick at his ass during a game by now?

We credit him with what we feel is deserving, that's not much at this time...you just happen to believe otherwise...period.

;)

Of course he could have been soliciting sexual favors from him! :lol:

dogfish
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Whatever, if McDaniels gave some bum on the street 5 bucks, you guys would say he was trying to bribe the guy to like him. Or blame him for encouraging beggers. Or call him cheap because he didn't give the guy 10. Or most likely all 3 at the same time. There's no point arguing, and nothing to be learned here.

but your mental gyrations in defense of mcdaniels are so entertaining!

TXBRONC
12-02-2010, 07:57 PM

I would trade Orton's big stats for an 8-3 and first place in our division.

scott.475
12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's kind of cute how Josh's family comes onto the board to defend him. Josh has a nice family who loves him. :lol:

claymore
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's kind of cute how Josh's family comes onto the board to defend him. Josh has a nice family who loves him. :lol:

His wife is on the clevland boards though. :eek:

scott.475
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Statistics are a heck of a thing. One could also say the same three QBs are only averaging six wins this season and have lost 45% of their games. But then, funny, if you take out the QB he is coaching THIS year, the average for his other other two QBs becomes 8 wins against 3 losses, and the one one QB he is actually coaching THIS year is, well, averaging 3 wins and 8 losses.

Funny thing, those statistics.

Northman
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
His wife is on the clevland boards though. :eek:

It is pretty comical. Its like they are all his spurned lovers or something. :lol:

I Eat Staples
12-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Wooooohooooo!!! McD is a great QB coach. :whoo:

Too bad he sucks as a head coach.:2thumbsdown:

This^

And it's not even that he's great at coaching QBs, he's just good at getting production out of them in his system. If you want an example of how a coach can really make a good QB into a star, take a look at what Andy Reid did with Mike Vick.

Living near Philly I've been more than critical of Andy Reid in his tenure with the Eagles, but he can coach QBs.

BroncoStud
12-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Ok, GREAT. Keep McDaniels as the QB coach and hire a REAL Head Coach. Problem solved.

Bosco
12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
That's pretty impressive.

arapaho2
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

all the more reason to get a competent head coach asap

Cugel
12-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Says you and . . . . well pretty much just you. :coffee:

Cugel
12-03-2010, 12:38 PM
What is this? A beauty pageant?

Good point. Peyton Manning has an abnormally shaped head that makes him look disturbing like "Mr. Potato-Head." Didn't exactly stop him from winning.

Cugel
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
but your mental gyrations in defense of mcdaniels are so entertaining!

Guy's spinning faster than a gyroscope in his pathetic attempts to defend the indefensible.

http://chand.lums.edu.pk/~ph101a08/gyroscope.gif

Meanwhile the losses just continue to pile up to the moon 5-18 in the last 23 (.277 winning percentage) and counting.

That's a reasonable batting average in baseball, but not football. :coffee:

slim
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
This^

And it's not even that he's great at coaching QBs, he's just good at getting production out of them in his system. If you want an example of how a coach can really make a good QB into a star, take a look at what Andy Reid did with Mike Vick.

Living near Philly I've been more than critical of Andy Reid in his tenure with the Eagles, but he can coach QBs.

:confused:

I Eat Staples
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
:confused:

If you want me to elaborate, I mean he gets them to play well or put up big numbers but he doesn't actually make them a better player. Like with Cassell, he was horrible last year in a different system, so it's not like he just improved Cassell overall, he only improved him for the time being.

TimTebow15MVP
12-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I would trade Orton's big stats for an 8-3 and first place in our division.

id trade our defense for chicagos. then im sure wed be 8-3

TXBRONC
12-04-2010, 09:56 PM
id trade our defense for chicagos. then im sure wed be 8-3

I seriously doubt it. McDaniels like the 3-4 and the Bears run a 4-3 so I would bet much of their personnel would be gone.